• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Why The 'Case of Kersey Village' Was An Impressive Time-Slip (Suffolk 1957)

It would do a lot toward substantiating the original observation event if a third (OK - fourth ... ) party could confirm that Laing, Crowley, and Baker reported strangeness when they returned from their exercise jaunt. The more elaborate retellings claim the boys mentioned something odd in the village they visited, only to have their listener(s) shrug or laugh it off and agree they'd been to Kersey.

Any confirmation of having reported strangeness at the time (October 1957) wouldn't prove a time slip had occurred, but it would solidify the claim something struck them as odd back then.

My concern about the reaction of the listeners who took the boy's report is that it too was only recounted 30 years afterward.

What strikes me though is that the only two who recalled the weirdness were the two who discussed it years later. That might not be significant, but it is one of the several concerns here.

As to what caused the boys to become spooked, I think tiredness, youth, illness or the fear of it both personally and possibly on behalf of their families, anything really. But kids get spooked over many things.

It would do a lot toward substantiating the original observation event if a third (OK - fourth ... ) party could confirm that Laing, Crowley, and Baker reported strangeness when they returned from their exercise jaunt. The more elaborate retellings claim the boys mentioned something odd in the village they visited, only to have their listener(s) shrug or laugh it off and agree they'd been to Kersey.

Any confirmation of having reported strangeness at the time (October 1957) wouldn't prove a time slip had occurred, but it would solidify the claim something struck them as odd back then.
Yes, they -- Laing and Crowley, maybe not Baker -- informed their superior that something was odd at Kersey, and he just laughed. Crowley wondered if maybe they had stumbled on some mystery village, not Kersey, that had been abandoned for decades. Laing was certain that something very strange had happened, and clearly regarded it as one of the most puzzling experiences of his life (the other being a more conventional ghost encounter).

I think it unlikely that anyone else would recall the witnesses recounting their experience in the 50s but I am wondering if any of Kersey's occupants, or visitors, have had something similar happen to them, and not reported it. Knowing what happens at Rougham, where only one house sighting (the Wynne-Allington case) had ever made it into mainstream media, and yet a little digging brings up lots of strange happenings, I would not be surprised. We really need someone based near Kersey to get involved in questioning the locals and checking local history sources.

oldrover,

..I think tiredness, youth, illness or the fear of it both personally and possibly on behalf of their families,..

You are grasping at straws now.

They were sea cadets (or something similar) and had just spent the night asleep in a nearby barn.

How 'fear of illness' fits in anywhere I don't see.

INT21

oldrover,

..I think tiredness, youth, illness or the fear of it both personally and possibly on behalf of their families,..

You are grasping at straws now.

They were sea cadets (or something similar) and had just spent the night asleep in a nearby barn.

How 'fear of illness' fits in anywhere I don't see.

INT21

I don't think so. I think, if you're trying to counter the idea of tiredness by reminding me they'd slept the previous night in a barn, that you're taking things as read without considering them. We do not know how long nor how well they slept, and we don't know what time they arrived, nor how long or hard a day they'd had before getting there. All we know is that they'd spent the previous night in a barn.

Bottom line is that two of three men remembered something eerie or weird happening to them as kids, which they recounted 30 years later, while a third recalled nothing. Something happened to them but it wasn't a time slip because they don't really happen, but kids get spooked all the time, and people misremember and embellish stories over time.

From the Miatello account at the top of the post.

...In October 1957, on a sunny and crisp Sunday morning,..

So we do know it was before noon that they set of on this trek.

And these were not what one would regard as 'kids'. They were 15 years old.
I started full time work at 15 as did most of my generation.

Navy cadets would be used to exercise etc and would not be troubled by a less than perfect nights sleep, if that was indeed the case.

We are back to the fact that we will never know as there is no way to prove the veracity of the story.

INT21

Also, come to think of it, a brief moment glancing in a window (presumably they didn't stand there for ten minutes looking inside a house) and seeing no trace of occupancy? If you looked in one or two of my windows you wouldn't see much trace of anyone living here, the furniture is down below the level of the window (dining table and chairs), the cupboards are all on the wall with the window in, and there are no pictures on the wall. I've just done a check on my dining room window and, yep, you might think my house was deserted if you looked in there.

Look in any other window and the sheer volume of crud would reassure you that someone with pack rat tendencies was, indeed, resident. But my point is, a quick look, and you might take away completely the wrong impression (particularly as the outside of the house is somewhat ramshackle and tumbledown).

I don't think so. I think, if you're trying to counter the idea of tiredness by reminding me they'd slept the previous night in a barn, that you're taking things as read without considering them. We do not know how long nor how well they slept, and we don't know what time they arrived, nor how long or hard a day they'd had before getting there. All we know is that they'd spent the previous night in a barn.

Bottom line is that two of three men remembered something eerie or weird happening to them as kids, which they recounted 30 years later, while a third recalled nothing. Something happened to them but it wasn't a time slip because they don't really happen, but kids get spooked all the time, and people misremember and embellish stories over time.
Well, it seems to me that the cadets had a reasonably restful night, after a meal and a get-together, and did a bit of cleaning up in the barn before setting off on their mission. I don't think they were especially tired, even after their country trek before reaching Kersey.
I think you have given away your basic premise by saying "it wasn't a time slip because they don't really happen." Your assumptions have driven your thinking, in this case. Even if witnesses, older, sensible, not tired or sick, report a time slip today, you will still reject their testimony.

Also, come to think of it, a brief moment glancing in a window (presumably they didn't stand there for ten minutes looking inside a house) and seeing no trace of occupancy? If you looked in one or two of my windows you wouldn't see much trace of anyone living here, the furniture is down below the level of the window (dining table and chairs), the cupboards are all on the wall with the window in, and there are no pictures on the wall. I've just done a check on my dining room window and, yep, you might think my house was deserted if you looked in there.

Look in any other window and the sheer volume of crud would reassure you that someone with pack rat tendencies was, indeed, resident. But my point is, a quick look, and you might take away completely the wrong impression (particularly as the outside of the house is somewhat ramshackle and tumbledown).
Point taken, but it is only one of the 16 significant features of the incident.

Well, it seems to me that the cadets had a reasonably restful night, after a meal and a get-together, and did a bit of cleaning up in the barn before setting off on their mission. I don't think they were especially tired, even after their country trek before reaching Kersey.

but that's the trouble, you 'don't think' they were tired, but of course like the rest of us you can't know, you can't point to anything that demonstrates their state of mind, level of tiredness, or anything else, because all we have is an impression recalled 30 years later. And that is where the weakness lies, you did work on memory Carl so you know this probably much better than I.

I think you have given away your basic premise by saying "it wasn't a time slip because they don't really happen." Your assumptions have driven your thinking, in this case. Even if witnesses, older, sensible, not tired or sick, report a time slip today, you will still reject their testimony.

Yes Carl, the same applies to crytpozoology, UFO's, ghosts, and any other paranormal occurrence. The single weakest link in all of these are the human observers. So I say that I don't accept the idea of time slips, why would I though? We have no evidence in favour, and plenty of evidence against.

As far as I'm concerned I'll look at anything within reason, but if it's immediately obvious that there's a simple explanation that'll be the one I'll go for. I want the same level of scrutiny for the uncanny as I do for everything else.

oldrover.

..Yes Carl, the same applies to crytpozoology, UFO's, ghosts, and any other paranormal occurrence. The single weakest link in all of these are the human observers. So I say that I don't accept the idea of time slips, why would I though? We have no evidence in favour, and plenty of evidence against.

How does one have evidence against something they believe does not exist ?

The problem, oldrover, is that you can apply that to all the things you list at the start of that paragraph and would be implying that non of these phenomena exist.

You may be right.

But you would then be obliged to prove that.

Much the same as people who do are obliged to prove they do exist; with varying degrees of success.

And by the same token you could chuck God out the window. Proof, what proof ?

INT21

An off-topic uestion.

When starting a paragraph with a user name that itself does not start with an uppper case letter, such as 'oldrover', should one write 'oldrover', or 'Oldrover' ?

I base this on the convention of always starting a paragraph with an upper case letter.

INT21

An off-topic uestion.

When starting a paragraph with a user name that itself does not start with an uppper case letter, such as 'oldrover', should one write 'oldrover', or 'Oldrover' ?

I base this on the convention of always starting a paragraph with an upper case letter.

INT21

Personally, I'd say that it should start it with a capital. Years ago when I selected my username I should have written it oldRover. As the word Rover is the only one which was a noun, but then it was a username so maybe both words shoukd have been. I don't know.

I'll reply to the other post again, it's a very dair point you make but it's a bit complicated for the time if night it is here.

An off-topic uestion.

INT21
Interesting question, @INT21. Have you considered opening the paragraph by prefacing the username in question with a word or phrase, instead, so as to sidestep the issue completely?

The other, more pragmatic, solution, is to type the @ symbol and then start typing the username. A little box will pop-up with the username in, and you can click that. The @ symbol will be retained, removing any worries about opening a paragraph with a lower-case letter. Mind you, I don't know what Fowler et al. would have to say about starting a paragraph with a symbol other than a letter...

Apologies if this has been posted before but this site https://kerseymemories.wordpress.com/ has a lot of first hand local history. A quick browse seems to show that even as late as 1947 people were using well water and oil lamps! Also some homes were condemned as unfit and left empty. It's hardly surprising there were no phone lines or tv antennas in such a run down village.

I think it's entirely possible that when the boys were told "that was Kersey alright" it's exactly because it was an anachronism even then.

It's easy for us to think of these villages as expensive places populated by retired city types fuelled with equity money but go back a bit and they were just clapped out damp houses that no one wanted bar the locals who were in many ways living in a different era.

Agreed ...

It wasn't until the 1950's that Kersey started to become the quaint historical attraction it is today. That was the decade when outsiders began buying and refurbishing the properties.

Some of the older structures had been employed as modest farm worker cottages for some time. Multiple of these cottages were merged into larger structures as the gentrification progressed.

These cottages, as well as the larger buildings, required intensive periodic refreshing owing to their age and construction.

It's not surprising that a number of buildings in the Kersey of 1957 would be found empty or in a state of disrepair.

but that's the trouble, you 'don't think' they were tired, but of course like the rest of us you can't know, you can't point to anything that demonstrates their state of mind, level of tiredness, or anything else, because all we have is an impression recalled 30 years later. And that is where the weakness lies, you did work on memory Carl so you know this probably much better than I.

Yes Carl, the same applies to crytpozoology, UFO's, ghosts, and any other paranormal occurrence. The single weakest link in all of these are the human observers. So I say that I don't accept the idea of time slips, why would I though? We have no evidence in favour, and plenty of evidence against.

As far as I'm concerned I'll look at anything within reason, but if it's immediately obvious that there's a simple explanation that'll be the one I'll go for. I want the same level of scrutiny for the uncanny as I do for everything else.
Unfortunately in many situations, not just the paranormal, but in crime, intelligence, and other areas of human life, we are dependent upon human testimony. And humans are not, on the whole, great witnesses. In these areas, this fact just comes with the territory. Policemen don't say, "why bother investigating crime, there's no proof of it?" The CIA don't say, "you can't trust anyone, so there's nothing we can do." They develop ways of assessing information, they look for correlations between the information they get from different sources, assess individual statements and backgrounds, and make decisions based upon sensible and reasonable analysis of the situation.
In studying paranormal (so-called) topics, we should employ essentially similar strategies. When I say so-called I mean something quite precise: areas of human experience are all treated differently in different cultures. Some things are considered real and acceptable, others are "tabu" or heretical. It is hard for me, at any rate, to view our own western culture's treatment of certain puzzling but interesting phenomena with anything but scorn. Surveys show that a large percentage of the population have indeed experienced such things, whereas one can easily think of some experiences that only a tiny proportion of people encounter, but which are regarded as acceptable. I have experienced a lot of phenomena during my life and don't view them as weird or uncanny or scary or whatever. They are just part of my -- if not everyday, quite frequent experiences. Many cultures accept telepathy, ghosts, clairvoyance etc. as quite natural. Perhaps because of the development of science in the West, many have adopted a sceptical and narrow-minded attitude towards them. Others have been trained by our society to view them as frightening, evil, sinister and so on.

Time slips are something I haven't experienced, but I think they are quite important. If they do happen, they imply that our view of reality is defective. This shouldn't surprise us, as lots of information points the same way, notably from developments in physics and cosmology. Studied in isolation, by people of your mindset, time slips will automatically be discarded as irrelevant or delusional. Studied in the context of 100s of other reports, many coming from people who have never heard of the phenomenon and who are often left confused or upset by what happened, a very different picture emerges. Patterns appear and can be correlated with other factors.

All sciences once began in this way. Humans observed the skies, the sun, moon and stars, and gradually built up an increasingly sophisticated model of the heavens. They observed odd connections between what seemed like totally different things -- lightning, frogs legs twitching, pieces of amber attracting small objects, lodestones always pointing north -- what nonsense! And yet gradually our knowledge of electricity developed and reached the stage of systematic experiment and theory-building. Had enough sceptical people been around in those early days, the whole process would have been strangled at birth.

What really mystifies me is why someone with your views, which appear to be overwhelmingly negative in this regard, takes any notice at all of a website which is concerned with Fortean phenomena, those rejected by conventional science as damned (in Fort's words). If you think that nothing reported by people can be given credence, why concern yourself with threads that deal basically with such reports and little else?

Carl,

..Policemen don't say, "why bother investigating crime, there's no proof of it?..

Sadly there is just such a tendency creeping in.

Early this year I had my workshop broken into an a lot of equipment stolen.

I notified the police immediately and the response was...

Do you have any cameras fitted ?

When I said no, they just gave me a crime number.

No visit by any police.

No video record of the break in so no point in coming to the scene of the crime.

If I had caught the villain in the act and opened up hi/her head with a crow bar they would have been here before I could wipe the blood away.

And, of course, it all depends upon where you live.

INT21

krepostnoi,

Re: post#163 above.

Both workable suggestions.

But I do not like the '@' option.

You will be aware that if you click on the highlighted name it jumps to the profile and here it tells the viewer what the 'target' is doing at the moment.

I did it with @INT21 and is showed I was viewing this thread.

I never liked this. Sort of intrusive and slightly 'Big Brother'.

INT21

You will be aware that if you click on the highlighted name it jumps to the profile and here it tells the viewer what the 'target' is doing at the moment.

You can click on your username, like so -
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 20.16.39.png
And then click 'preferences'. A box like this shows up -
Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 20.16.52.png
Which allows you to tinker with your settings a bit.

David Plan
preferences.jpg
kton.

Well, tried that and it didn't appear to work.

Could you please click on my highlighted username in post #163 and report back what you get.

Attached is a screen shot showing the box under question unticked.

INT21

INT21:

As of the moment I'm posting this:

- Your avatar doesn't display the green dot indicating you're currently on FTMB
- Your pop-up Profile summary does not display what you are / were doing

INT21:

As of the moment I'm posting this:

- Your avatar doesn't display the green dot indicating you're currently on FTMB
- Your pop-up Profile summary does not display what you are / were doing

Yes, it appears you are now in 'stealth mode'.
Screen Shot 2018-03-21 at 06.28.09.png

krepostnoi,

Re: post#163 above.

Both workable suggestions.

But I do not like the '@' option.

I did it with @INT21 and is showed I was viewing this thread.

I never liked this. Sort of intrusive and slightly 'Big Brother'.

INT21

I take your point, but I do actually like it--it's another way of throwing up old threads that may be fun, forgotten and interesting.

The best method for this is viewing the 'Current Visitors' and selecting 'Everyone'.

Unfortunately in many situations, not just the paranormal, but in crime, intelligence, and other areas of human life, we are dependent upon human testimony. And humans are not, on the whole, great witnesses. In these areas, this fact just comes with the territory. Policemen don't say, "why bother investigating crime, there's no proof of it?"

Well, they wouldn't would they, because there is proof of crime. That's the point, there is proof of the things the police use eye witness testimony to investigate. And the subjects of these investigations are sadly tangible, testable, and repeatable. Contrast this with the idea of a time slip.

They develop ways of assessing information, they look for correlations between the information they get from different sources, assess individual statements and backgrounds, and make decisions based upon sensible and reasonable analysis of the situation.

Yes I know that, that's the tack I use in my own research. I'm not seeing a lot of that in paranormal investigations though. Regarding Kersey, we have an insistence thst something strange happened, based on details recalled thirty years after the event by two men who discussed the incudent prior to presenting their claim. And those details have been largely addressed and seem to be in keeping with what the place was like back in 1950's. The only details we can identify as being strange or inconsistent are that the men don't recall seeing the church while in the village, and they remember the riad surface as being un-metalled. That is it.

Some things are considered real and acceptable, others are "tabu" or heretical. It is hard for me, at any rate, to view our own western culture's treatment of certain puzzling but interesting phenomena with anything but scorn. Surveys show that a large percentage of the population have indeed experienced such things, whereas one can easily think of some experiences that only a tiny proportion of people encounter, but which are regarded as acceptable. I have experienced a lot of phenomena during my life and don't view them as weird or uncanny or scary or whatever. They are just part of my -- if not everyday, quite frequent experiences. Many cultures accept telepathy, ghosts, clairvoyance etc. as quite natural. Perhaps because of the development of science in the West, many have adopted a sceptical and narrow-minded attitude towards them. Others have been trained by our society to view them as frightening, evil, sinister and so on.

The acceptable experiences will the ones that can be repeated or demonstrated, or at least explainable in terms of things that are. Like the OP, I'm no physicist but the idea of time travel is so far not on the list. I've seen a few lay people play the 'quantum explanation card', but not too many physicists, that strikes me as odd. And human 'experiences' are just that experiences, they're not necessarily objective . Interpretation is their basis and as such if we want to suggest they represent something apparently anomalous they should be tested as rigourasly as possible, and again I have to say this is lacking in much paranormal research. Some researchers do, and there are at times accounts which still seem to be unexplainable, but so far no time slip story seems to be able to boast of either of these distinctions. And this seems to be particularly apparent in the Kersey case.

Time slips are something I haven't experienced, but I think they are quite important. If they do happen, they imply that our view of reality is defective. This shouldn't surprise us, as lots of information points the same way, notably from developments in physics and cosmology. Studied in isolation, by people of your mindset, time slips will automatically be discarded as irrelevant or delusional. Studied in the context of 100s of other reports, many coming from people who have never heard of the phenomenon and who are often left confused or upset by what happened, a very different picture emerges. Patterns appear and can be correlated with other factors.

All sciences once began in this way. Humans observed the skies, the sun, moon and stars, and gradually built up an increasingly sophisticated model of the heavens. They observed odd connections between what seemed like totally different things -- lightning, frogs legs twitching, pieces of amber attracting small objects, lodestones always pointing north -- what nonsense! And yet gradually our knowledge of electricity developed and reached the stage of systematic experiment and theory-building. Had enough sceptical people been around in those early days, the whole process would have been strangled at birth.

What really mystifies me is why someone with your views, which appear to be overwhelmingly negative in this regard, takes any notice at all of a website which is concerned with Fortean phenomena, those rejected by conventional science as damned (in Fort's words). If you think that nothing reported by people can be given credence, why concern yourself with threads that deal basically with such reports and little else?

As to the rest of your post, you speak about 'systematic experiment and theory building', yet you then go on to say that 'had enough sceptical people been around in those days, the whole process would have been strangled at birth'. You seem there to be suggesting that a systematic approach developed without scepticism being employed. Whereas in fact the whole process is based on the implementation of a sceptical approach. Without scepticism, which is the difference between rigour and casual acceptance, we would never have got from twitching frog legs to nerve conduction testing and EEG's, because we'd still be asking people to accept our first basic conclusions without continuing to test them. Without a desire to pick holes in things you'll never find their weaknesses, nor their strengths.

Let me clear up the mystery of why a sceptic like myself is on this site, firstly scepticism isn't negative it's positive, as above. It's also a term that's misused. Scepticism is not, as it's so often portrayed, a closed minded approach it's a remedy for it. And in this instance and on this thread we've seen it employed to good effect. What at first might have seemed like a complex and difficult to understand incident has on closer examination started to look a lot more fathomable. You've mentioned, a lack of TV aerials and power cables, looking further posters here have found photos of the village from exactly the right period and there are none, also, we found that to preserve the character of the village the power lines were hidden, so that seems quite explainable. The only discrepancy is the telegraph pole visible in the photos. You've also mentioned the abandoned feel of the village, the poor state of repair etc, but another poster has found a source which tells us that in a time fairly adjacent to the experience, parts of the village were abondoned and probably in a poor state of repair, and that the lack of 'modernity' witnessed by two of the boys was actually reflected in the real Kersey at this time. So again this doesn't seem that odd anymore, and these things should have been looked into before they were ever presented as being suggestive of anything strange, but they weren't.

The star turn of this case, the big reveal of the location of the butcher's shop, doesn't look too promising either on closer inspection. As going by wgat's on this thread, we don't know how many photos McKenzie showed them, we don't know how certain the identification was, we don't know if any sort of control was used by McKenzie. All of these things are now part of the mystery when they should be part of its solution. And have rendeeed any information that may have been gained completely useless evidentially. Had it been handled with a little care it might have.

So, I don't think being a sceptic is a bad thing when considering cases like this, and whatever Fort may have said, it's not the subject that's dammed by sceptics, it's the methidology. And I think that's fair enough as in this case it's yet again been demonstrated to be found wanting.

Last edited:
As to the rest of your post, you speak about 'systematic experiment and theory building', yet you then go on to say that 'had enough sceptical people been around in those days, the whole process would have been strangled at birth'. You seem there to be suggesting that a systematic approach developed without scepticism being employed. Whereas in fact the whole process is based on the implementation of a sceptical approach. Without scepticism, which is the difference between rigour and casual acceptance, we would never have got from twitching frog legs to nerve conduction testing and EEG's, because we'd still be asking people to accept our first basic conclusions without continuing to test them. Without a desire to pick holes in things you'll never find their weaknesses, nor their strengths.

Let me clear up the mystery of why a sceptic like myself is on this site, firstly scepticism isn't negative it's positive, as above. It's also a term that's misused. Scepticism is not, as it's so often portrayed, a closed minded approach it's a remedy for it. And in this instance and on this thread we've seen it employed to good effect. What at first might have seemed like a complex and difficult to understand incident has on closer examination started to look a lot more fathomable. You've mentioned, a lack of TV aerials and power cables, looking further posters here have found photos of the village from exactly the right period and there are none, also, we found that to preserve the character of the village the power lines were hidden, so that seems quite explainable. The only discrepancy is the telegraph pole visible in the photos. You've also mentioned the abandoned feel of the village, the poor state of repair etc, but another poster has found a source which tells us that in a time fairly adjacent to the experience, parts of the village were abondoned and probably in a poor state of repair, and that the lack of 'modernity' witnessed by two of the boys was actually reflected in the real Kersey at this time. So again this doesn't seem that odd anymore, and these things should have been looked into before they were ever presented as being suggestive of anything strange, but they weren't.

The star turn of this case, the big reveal of the location of the butcher's shop, doesn't look too promising either on closer inspection. As going by wgat's on this thread, we don't know how many photos McKenzie showed them, we don't know how certain the identification was, we don't know if any sort of control was used by McKenzie. All of these things are now part of the mystery when they should be part of its solution. And have rendeeed any information that may have been gained completely useless evidentially. Had it been handled with a little care it might have.

So, I don't think being a sceptic is a bad thing when considering cases like this, and whatever Fort may have said, it's not the subject that's dammed by sceptics, it's the methidology. And I think that's fair enough as in this case it's yet again been demonstrated to be found wanting.

If I could like this post 1000 times, I would.

You seem, as I somewhat expected, to have misunderstood my post and to have returned to your original position. I shall reiterate my main points more explicitly:

1. You say that you already employ the procedure (of analysing and correlating data as a preliminary stage of investigation) yet then reject its implications in the case of time slips. And then you revert to the approach of dissecting each case individually, with a view for finding some kind of "proof" that it took place. To make it plain, I am advocating the collection of multiple time slip data with a view to seeing what patterns are present (and I have already noted a few), and subjecting these data to statistical testing. There is an obvious parallel here with ufology, where some people (mostly those who have predetermined theories about what UFOs are), concentrate on finding some sighting which provides "absolute proof" that UFOs are either extraterrestrial or complete nonsense. This latter approach has been wholly unproductive. Rather I am following Vallee's approach in developing a basic classification of time slip cases and correlating elements of sightings with temporal, seasonal, geographic, demographic, etc. variables.

2. True enough, crimes take place. But (playing the sceptic) many reports of alleged crimes may turn out to be mistaken, malicious accusations and so on. My point in using this imagery (which I would have thought to be obvious) was to draw an analogy between obvious physical events and the material world, and the more subtle events that occur in the human mind.

3. A systematic approach to electricity would never have developed if our ancestors hadn't passed through the initial stage of observation and reporting of puzzling phenomena. Had the sceptical people been active in criticising these original reports, true, many false and misleading observations would have been rejected, but so too would many genuine and important observations. Over the centuries there are many instances of this -- for example, Fort himself pointed out that when French peasants reported rocks falling from the sky, they were rejected because the sceptics argued that as there were no stones in the sky, then they cannot fall from the sky. This may have seemed logical to them, but it turned out that the ignorant peasants were right, and the savants wrong, because they were making unwarranted assumptions. Moreover, when the sceptics are influential or powerful enough, people are scared to report odd phenomena for fear of ridicule or worse. I have met this in my own time slip research.

4. Regarding Kersey -- your summing up manages to ignore almost all the key elements of the case, namely the transition from a village with a church with bells pealing and smoke rising from chimneys in a cold autumn day to a village with no church visible, no smoke rising from chimneys, and no sound of bells, with bright hot sunlight and green trees; and then, after the witnesses exited, the reversion back to autumnal foliage and chimneys smoking once more and the bells ringing. I agree, MacKenzie didn't do a great job in interviewing Laing, and didn't control the pictures that he sent to him -- they were just a few picture postcards. Lets say there were six of them, and I imagine that most of these would show maybe five houses or cottages in Kersey. So he was able to pick the butchers shop out of about 30 possibles; this is better than significance at the 5% level. Certainly worth noting. Had he failed to pick a building that was once a butchers, I imagine you would proclaim that this proves how unreliable the story is!

5. No, scepticism isn't a positive thing. Objectivity is. In the instance of time slips, it can be intimidating and can inhibit other witnesses from coming forward, and they are already reluctant to do that! Above all, scepticism is a way of protecting the status quo, of avoiding exposure to genuinely significant observations, and of compulsively imposing one's world view on others.

... I agree, MacKenzie didn't do a great job in interviewing Laing, and didn't control the pictures that he sent to him -- they were just a few picture postcards. Lets say there were six of them, and I imagine that most of these would show maybe five houses or cottages in Kersey. So he was able to pick the butchers shop out of about 30 possibles; this is better than significance at the 5% level. Certainly worth noting. Had he failed to pick a building that was once a butchers, I imagine you would proclaim that this proves how unreliable the story is! ...

Here's the fallacious bit ... MacKenzie seized on the claim the Bridge House had contained a butcher shop centuries earlier and fell victim to confirmation bias, because it supported his theory (hope; whatever ... ) that a time slip explained the boys' odd experience.

The rational approach would have involved surveying what, if any, butcher shop(s) existed in Kersey village as of October 1957, then checking to see if any such shop's location matched what Laing identified as a particular site he recognized from the 1957 visit.

Had MacKenzie proceeded more reasonably, he would have discovered the Goymour family's pork and poultry butcher shop in Leys House (same side of the main lane; much closer to the church) was still operating in the mid 20th century. A verifiable butcher shop on the same side of the same lane at the same (un-slipped) time represents a substantial fly in the ointment of his time slip interpretation.

This also calls into question the reliability of Laing's testimony regarding:

(a) identification of Bridge House as the site of the beef carcass sighting; and
(b) an inability to see the church tower while at the reported butcher's shop.

Leys House sits practically in the shadow of Church Hill and the bell tower.

There was a second - and possibly even more likely - location where the boys might have seen hanging meat. This would have been one or another of the Stiff family's store properties within the village. Stiff's actually operated a full butcher's shop over in Hadleigh (circa 2 miles' distance), but (as far as I can tell to date) processed only pork and chickens at their Kersey location(s).

... Regarding Kersey -- your summing up manages to ignore almost all the key elements of the case, namely the transition from a village with a church with bells pealing and smoke rising from chimneys in a cold autumn day to a village with no church visible, no smoke rising from chimneys, and no sound of bells, with bright hot sunlight and green trees ...

'Pealing' means there were multiple of the bells being rung. A 'full peal' is a complete cycle of such multi-bell ringing covering all the possible inter-bell sequences.

Do you have any recorded (e.g., in MacKenzie's book) description of precisely what sort of bell ringing the boys claimed to have heard both before and after the silent interlude?

From oldrover,

..And those details have been largely addressed and seem to be in keeping with what the place was like back in 1950's..

Well. the 1950s wasn't all that long ago. I for one was certainly alive.

But we now live in the land of social media. Perhaps someone who knows how can put out a call on something like Facebook asking for anyone who lived in Kersey during that period to step forward.

They would be able to describe how it actually was.

The apparent lack of electricity does not come as a surprise. I had relations in the village of Blacktoft on humberside that we used to visit when I was a child. Same period. And they did not have electricity. Didn't get it until quite late.
People forget that the National Grid wasn't always there.

Of course, a proper investigator who lived close by would already have ascertained things like that. Parish records would show who was around then. and the search would go on.

INT21

Last edited:
Back