• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Withnail & I

Do you think Withnail & I is very good?

• Yes, It Is.

Votes: 14 70.0%
  • No, It Isn't.

Votes: 3 15.0%
  • I've never watched it.

Votes: 3 15.0%

• Total voters
If his book With Nails is anything to go by, Richard E. Grant is a really great guy. Needs to be cast right to really flourish in a role, though.

One of my favourite lines : You're full of Scotch, you silly tool!

I just love McGann's delivery of the line, its exactly the tone with which you rebuke a close, but extremely piddled friend.

Last edited:
A mate of mine once worked in a pub about 50 yards from some student flats. He liked his job but said the worst thing about it was the sheer number of students who would come in and ask for "two pints, ice in the cider", "another pair of pints", "another pair of laaaaarge scotches" etc...

This looks like it was a lot of fun:

I suppose so .. if sitting with a load of chortling upper middle class people who call Glastonbury 'Glasto' because they went to 'Uni' (except on their gap year of course) passes as fun then I suppose so. Sorry to be a killjoy but I've never found the film very funny. It's OK and that's about it but as long as other people find it funny, fair enough. I imagine in order Monty Python's 'Dead Parrot Sketch' and The Rocky Horror Picture Show are also hilarious to Withnail fans but each to their own to be fair.

I suppose so .. if sitting with a load of chortling upper middle class people who call Glastonbury 'Glasto' because they went to 'Uni' (except on their gap year of course) passes as fun then I suppose so. Sorry to be a killjoy but I've never found the film very funny. It's OK and that's about it but as long as other people find it funny, fair enough. I imagine in order Monty Python's 'Dead Parrot Sketch' and The Rocky Horror Picture Show are also hilarious to Withnail fans but each to their own to be fair.

I'm with you - I'm not a fan of Richard E Grant's rampant & slightly preposterous over-acting. Probably one of those films you had to be the right age to get into.

Aren't you a bit middle class though Swifty? Dad with a business in the WTC. Doesn't your mum live in France or somewhere? :D

Aren't you a bit middle class though Swifty? Dad with a business in the WTC. Doesn't your mum live in France or somewhere? :D
I'm a failed experiment at middle class aspirations that didn't work out but my parents live in France. My Dad didn't have a business in the WTC, he briefly rented an office there with the hope of bigger things happening. Are you still washing your hands today btw? .. ;) .. send me a pm ..

I'm a failed experiment at middle class aspirations that didn't work out but my parents live in France. My Dad didn't have a business in the WTC, he briefly rented an office there with the hope of bigger things happening. Are you still washing your hands today btw? .. ;) .. send me a pm ..

Later mate, I too tired, extra shifts and all which I really don't want to do but they need covering.

Later mate, I too tired, extra shifts and all which I really don't want to do but they need covering.
Respect XX .. steal this joke if you want, my boss asked me how I was this morning, I pointed at my dick and said "I'm that tired this morning, I woke up before HE did." .. perfect conversation killer. We're too busy for bullshit.

I was introduced to Withnail by some mates when we were about 18, we loved it so much we even named our band after a line in it.

I was introduced to Withnail by some mates when we were about 18, we loved it so much we even named our band after a line in it.
The Finest Wines Available to Humanity?

At least it wasn't Uncle Monty and the Terrible - well, anyway...

Back