• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wizards Through The Door!

morningstar667

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
If there's already a thread for this then mods please shift/combine ta.

Does anybody else get much of this stuff? Over the last six months I've been collecting the weirdo things that pop through the door.

Heres just a couple of the prize ones: Mr. Ousou guarantees "Return immediately of your lover, Cures victims of EVIL FORCES & BLACK MAGIC(His bolds not mine), court cases, sexual problems, protects from jealous enemies 100% guaranteed. Great stuff :lol:

Next up is Mrs Patel (not the most stylish name compared to Abu Bacaar Sadique or Sheik Sabere International, two more of our exhibits). Anyhow Mrs. Patel remove(her spelling) Bad Luck, Obeah, Jadoo, Black Magic and Toona, Embarrassment (EH?),Tears (Mmm A Hanky?), Hard time, Suffering, and she'll tell you the names of your friends, (how odd), Enemies and (get this) Loved ones. Whoopee F****** Doo

Mr Yousouf (Born gifted he says, upping the ante here somewhat) with Occult Sciences and the most powerful spells to make your business more successful and protect you from jealous enemies.

And so it goes. We got Abu and the Sheik (Born into strong family) and Mr. Kaira (Professor Spiritual Healer), Mrs Patel, Mr Ousuo and Mr. Yousuof and last but not least but slightly different is (Drum Roll) The Hetticia Mcintosh Ministry of The Grande Riviere Deliverance Tabernacle who gets in here with the statement that " Believers are taught and trained how to effectively use the weapons of warfare with their God given talents, abilities and gifts. :shock: Hmm

I wonder if it's bow of burning gold and chariots of fire or the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch :lol: or should I turn up with my own?

If we collect enough of this garbage maybe we can play "Sorcerer Top Trumps" :lol:

Also IMO this heap of paper is a monument to human gullibility/delusion.

Comments anyone?

A psychiatrist I used years ago kept a similar ad framed on his wall - "Sister Blackwing, Native American Psychic, Restores Love, Removes Curses," etc., etc., etc.

I asked him why he had it.

"Because," he answered, "whenever I feel to big for my britches I go over and read that, and realize that this woman helps as many people as I do and maybe even more."

OldTimeRadio said:
A psychiatrist I used years ago kept a similar ad framed on his wall - "Sister Blackwing, Native American Psychic, Restores Love, Removes Curses," etc., etc., etc.

I asked him why he had it.

"Because," he answered, "whenever I feel to big for my britches I go over and read that, and realize that this woman helps as many people as I do and maybe even more."

A bit too New Age humble for my tastes. Bring back Bleeding and Leeches.Or Bile Chanting.Phlegmatic or Melancholy?Perhaps Choleric? Bleed Him/Her!!!

There is someone who claimed publicly at a local Mind, Body Spirit fair that they were "A Native American Celtic Shaman" How Droll. Just loved the London Accent darling. Also thinks that a Panther is a different species to a Leopard and The Celts built Stonehenge.....On a realistic level:The Placebo effect.

A study (carried out by the Templeton foundation and quoted in Dawkins "God Delusion" pp.62-63) actually proved that praying made patients worse due to anxiety.More complications and slower recovery. The reverse of what was expected/desired.

The above are trading on peoples fear of Juju or whatever.And (to quote Athens' favorite Gadfly Lucian) "Clipping the Fat". Means taking money. A Scam. Ripoff.

Jadoo, just in case anyone is interested is a form of Middle Eastern magic and Toona appears to be a type of :wtf: TREE! :roll:

morningstar667 said:
Also thinks that a Panther is a different species to a Leopard
Well, it is - if it's an American panther/painter/catamount/mountain lion/puma. Ah, felis concolor, big cat of a thousand names...

Nothing wrong with the placebo effect when it works.

PeniG said:
morningstar667 said:
Also thinks that a Panther is a different species to a Leopard
Well, it is - if it's an American panther/painter/catamount/mountain lion/puma. Ah, felis concolor, big cat of a thousand names...

Nothing wrong with the placebo effect when it works.

Talking African/Old world Leopards:panthera Pardus, Comes with spots...Sometimes called a Panther if melanistic In Asia. As an example the majority are black in Java. Whether spotted or Melanistic (but still spotted in the right light) it's still 1 species. The person I mentioned was (read the post again) a Londoner. Blonde. Wearing full new age regalia....

Just to clear up a point: My objection is to the exploitation of fear. £50 ($100) or so a session is no bargain. Rather a pricey placebo that. Aah Capitalism. Fascinating that the exploitation of Ethnic minorities gets tacit approval from across the pond. :shock: Or maybe not shocked...

C'mon Brits, Hasn't ANYONE had any of these things shoved through the door but folks in my area?

Where do you live (roughly)? Never get anything that interesting in the North East.

Jealous now.

lupinwick said:
Where do you live (roughly)? Never get anything that interesting in the North East.

Jealous now.
Midlands. Ta for the info 8) Rather surprised you haven't had any. Yet? All of ours are within 15 miles of me. A thought struck me that maybe our Exhibits might start territorial pissing to define "Spheres of Exploitation" ;)

morningstar667 said:
A bit too New Age humble for my tastes.

Actually he never struck me as very New Agey. He was a Behaviorist who was also a solid Roman Catholic.

Well, he did subscribe to FATE magazine, but to me that made him a Fortean rather than a New Ager.

I got something similar from a sufi mystic. sent it on to the hieropant.

ramonmercado said:

Ta Dude. 8) Did it make any claims like my exhibits? A Sufi mystic certainly trumps Hetticia ;)

OldTimeRadio said:
morningstar667 said:
A bit too New Age humble for my tastes.

Actually he never struck me as very New Agey. He was a Behaviorist who was also a solid Roman Catholic.

Well, he did subscribe to FATE magazine, but to me that made him a Fortean rather than a New Ager.
Fair enough, but the instant the Psychiatrist stated that the Psychic "maybe helped more" than Psychiatry then IMO, he should kiss those nice fat fees goodbye. ;)

morningstar667 said:
ramonmercado said:

Ta Dude. 8) Did it make any claims like my exhibits? A Sufi mystic certainly trumps Hetticia ;)

Forget now exactly, but it certainly had cures for everything. I sent it on via Paul Sievking. I might have kept a copy of the flyer.

odd though, an all powerful Sufi Mystic living in a rundown area of Dublin Inner City.

morningstar667 said:
Fascinating that the exploitation of Ethnic minorities gets tacit approval from across the pond. :shock: Or maybe not shocked...
?
Don't know where you get tacit approval of exploitation of ethnic minorities. My remark about the placebo effect was general and prompted by Mr. Radio's psychiatrist story; my remark about the panther stemmed from awareness that not everybody knows just how vague the term "panther" is (almost as useless a word as "witch," without context).

The fact is that mental health professionals are laboring in the alchemical stage of their art and in many cases you can get equally good results (cheaper) from a people-savvy "psychic," whether sincere or not. Although my experience may not be typical, the counselors I've had occasion to deal with never did me much good, I think because they were trying to slot me into a category rather than understand my problem (although one left me with a clear understanding of just how screwed I was and how little I could do about it, I'm not positive he understood what was going on himself and he certainly didn't help me cope). And a friend of mine who had to be hospitalized for her own safety, and who believes in the physiological basis of her problem and the basic principles of medical psychiatry, nevertheless when she was ready to leave the institution had to collude with the nurses to figure out how to present a facade that her doctor would accept as demonstrating her readiness for the outside world.

There is a level at which the mainstream mental health professions are exploiting their patients every bit as much as the psychics are.

In America, I don't get wizards through the door often, though there's a sudden influx of psychic-based and New Age junk mail every time I renew my Fate subscription. I think this sort of exploitation aims for fatter pockets over here, leaving the exploitation of the working classes and ethnic minorities to the faux-religious fraternity - the televangelists and local miracle-mongers. There may well be a local subculture of curanderas offering home-based folk medical services in the Mexican tradition, which would spread by word of mouth in a way that excludes me since my Spanglish is shamefully poor. But in most cases I don't think that's as much exploitation as it is a legitimate alternative for the enormous percentage of the Spanglish-speaking population which has no medical insurance. Folk remedies do work for most common ailments, after all, through a combination of genuine medical lore and the placebo effect, and the neighborhood curandera isn't driving around in a Cadillac.

It's really only for the more serious ailments that modern medicene is worth the extra expense, and any psychic, alternative therapist, religious figure, folk practitioner, or family friend who discourages someone from getting properly treated for STDs, cancer, diabetes, TB, etc., needs taking down regardless of how much or little money is involved.

Penig, in the UK we have a free NHS for both Psychiatry and all other forms of Health Care. The social context of a Cunadero/Shaman doing stuff for whatever the patient can afford is irrelevant. It's a long standing tradition, and not my point initially. However the difference between, a token renumeration and a £50 note or 3 is notable.

I pointed out in the 1st post "Last 6 Months", a new phenomenon. A classic case of moneygrabbers predating on the vulnerable.

Well due to the lack of other folks ( apart from Ramon)getting stuff through the door I'll say bye bye to the hypothesis that this is a reasonably widespread phenomenon in the UK. In fact it appears extremely localized, much to my surprise. Must confess to being amazed that only one other person has seen this type of stuff.

Bags more fun with these business-cards on this thread. BlackriverFalls kindly scanned some lurid & colourful ones:

Here

:shock:

When I lived in Croydon, I used to get badly printed flyers from someone who claimed to be able to lift curse, perform various charms (love, success etc) and generally do psychic stuff. I had a few of these, but they got shoved in a box when I moved and I've not seen them since.

JamesWhitehead said:
Bags more fun with these business-cards on this thread. BlackriverFalls kindly scanned some lurid & colourful ones:

Here

Link to scans no workee :cry: Would have enjoyed seeing them.

morningstar667 said:
JamesWhitehead said:

Here

Link to scans no workee :cry: Would have enjoyed seeing them.

She pasted them into the thread on the next page! :)

Back