• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Woman who married a serial killer on death row

A

Anonymous

This is really weird...

http://www.cnn.com/US/9707/28/nightstalker.wife/

Why do people do this sort of stuff? Just for publicity, or are they genuinely attracted to the multiple murderers? In which case, is the murderer, although now jailed, using on them the same kind of psychological techniques that they used to lure their victims? :eek!!!!:

What's the betting her favourite song is Stand By Your Man...hahah.

On a serious note the article says that they began courting after she saw him being arrested on television and then going to visit him in jail.
You have to wonder if she's after some kind of attention. Good or bad it doesn't seem to matter to her.

I've read in a few places ('The Evil That Men Do' by Brian Masters is one) that serial killers get a lot of 'fanmail,' mainly from women. Charles Manson apparently still gets tons. I've never read much on the psychology or motivation of women that do it, though. Publicity hounds? Morbidity? Celebrity fixation because the killers have been on TV? (Maybe Oliver Stone was right.) Death wish writ large?

People are strange. :confused:

Originally posted by Wastrel

People are strange. :confused:

Yep... I wonder if in some weird way these women are looking for a
safe relationship? These men are behind bars, most probably going to die there, so there's no real risk. Perhaps the women
had been hurt emotionally before and couldn't cope?

I'm not sure if it's only women though - I had an (extremely short) relationship with a man with a fixation on Myra Hyndley (sp?). I was out of there before you could say "?!"

SWF, WLTM... oops, sorry.

Jane.

Reminds me of the Brass Eye pisstake of Pulp, with a Jarvis-a-like singing about his love for Myra.

"C'mon Bradey, I'm gonna have your lady, just because I wanna... just because I can and you can't...!".

Sorry, back on topic... Ramirez is of course the serial killer who we media students hear about a lot in effect theory lessons, as he was allegedly motivated to kill through a fixation with Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers.

Maybe it's the 'helper' instinct - the one that makes people think 'It'll be different with me / his love for me will make him change / my love will make him better / etc.' Maybe these women think they can 'save' the killer?

i known women who return to an abusive partner or continuosly fall for drunks/drug adicts/ generaly idiots... cos i thought i could "change him".... at least these silly women wont (hopefully) ever meet the guy outside!.....

Are all you ladies tired of not being able to find the right man? Do you like a guy to have a mischievous side, a bit of a bad boy? Searching for a man whom you will know exactly where he is every night?

Then why not try Cell Block Mail!

Yes, you too can write to the recidivist of your choice! You have a dazzling selection of all your favourite axe murderers, arsonists and rapists all ready, willing and desperate to hear from YOU! If you’re tired of the bar scene, why not try the State Penitentiary?

You too could find yourself writing to Bradley (25 years aggravated assault) who describes himself as sensitive, caring and has “a bit of a temper”. Or how about lovely Geoff “The Ripper” Stevens (30 years, first degree murder) who counts among his hobbies finger painting, poetry and eating his parents.

So what are you waiting for? Get typing!

There used to be sites where (for a small fee), men could contact a 'jail babe'. But my search today shows most of the sites have closed down. I guess men want some action here and now and aren't prepared to wait 25 years for the right woman.

OK I might be a sad git, but 25 years! And then there's still the chance she might have been two timing you with another sad git!

James Whitehead said:
Come on, Mejane, we all need to know more about your fling
with Lord Longford! ;)

LOL, if I'd known it was LL I would have sold my story to The News of the World!

Seriously, though, this guy seemed perfectly normal (almost boringly so) and it wasn't until I visited his flat for the first time and saw the poster of Myra *above* the bed that I realised something was wrong :eek!!!!:

I always did have crap taste in men. Never been tempted to write to serial killers though, so there's hope for me yet.

Jane.

Evilsprout said:
Sorry, back on topic... Ramirez is of course the serial killer who we media students hear about a lot in effect theory lessons, as he was allegedly motivated to kill through a fixation with Oliver Stone's Natural Born Killers.

Sorry, but Ramirez had been arrrested long before NATURAL BORN KILLERS came out.

This is actually a large enough phenomenon that there has already been a couple of books written about the subject. One's called PRISON GROUPIES, the other's called WOMEN WHO LOVE MEN WHO KILL.

Ogopogo said:
Sorry, but Ramirez had been arrrested long before NATURAL BORN KILLERS came out.

Thinking back, I think you're right, it was another serial killer in the same documentary. The old "forgetting everything as soon as you finish university" syndrome strikes again.

Ted Bundy tricked the court into letting him get married during his trial, using a Florida law that allows a couple to be married simply by making a declaration in front of court officers.

Karla Homolka, currently in prison in Canada for helping her husband murder three women, including her own sister, reportedly gets loads of fan mail from adoring men.

Well, look at it this way, at least you know where he is on a Saturday night....

naitaka said:
Karla Homolka, currently in prison in Canada for helping her husband murder three women, including her own sister, reportedly gets loads of fan mail from adoring men.

I heard the same was true for the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe, (only in this case from women, and not men) which needless to say is surprising considering he killed 13 of them. Is it because they feel as if they can change them while in prison?

lutzman said:
There used to be sites where (for a small fee), men could contact a 'jail babe'.
Fear not, Lutzie. Today there was a controversy regarding the high-profile child-killer Susan Smith, who has recently posted an add for penpals here. Ms. Smith, in 1994, went on national television to tearfully plead for the return of her missing sons before later admitting strapping her 3-year-old Michael and 14-month-old Alex into their car seats and rolling the sleeping boys into a lake. Apparently she likes "rainbows, Mickey Mouse, the beach, the mountains, and waterfalls. My favorite color is navy blue and my favorite flower is the daisy. I am a Christian and I enjoy attending church. I consider myself to be sensitive, caring, and kind-hearted."

She was also booked for shagging two prison guards three years ago, so she can't be too discerning either. Just don't have any designs on starting a family.

Poof!

Some moths are attracted to hotter flames, that's all.

What I find really odd about "relationships" like these is that they aren't really relationships.

I mean, how often does she get to see him? And when she does, she only gets a "peck on the cheek" It's all very surreal to me.

No Stranger

It's no stranger than people who correspond for 25 years, then meet and marry. Or long-distance, or bi-coastal, marriages, in which they see each other only a brief time each year. What matters to them is the emotional focus. Having someone to care about. These people typically feel filled with love and desperate to give it, and often it's these malformed, undercooked individuals who attract them as somehow needing it more.

Back