• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Women in white

Spookyangel

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I heard on the radio the other morning that men are more attracted to women who wear white. Is this true? It sounds a bit odd to me!

I would have to say yes in general but it depends on the lady and the occasion to a large extent, some women look their best in red for example ;) .

Does this mean that we're going to see a rise in the popularity of Japanese ghost movies?

Lord_Flashheart said:
I would have to say yes in general but it depends on the lady and the occasion to a large extent, some women look their best in red for example ;) .

Now who could you be thinking about there? :p

Do you think the colour is just a matter of preference or of what the colour subconsciously represents?

white clothing = viginity maybe?

Basques of any colour look good :) Especially when the said lady is lounging around on your bed drinking gin :)

melf said:
white clothing = viginity maybe?

That is what I was thinking. White being a symbol for virginity and purity and all that. I would think black would be a more popular color, symbolizing the naughty side of life.

Of course, I look absolutley dreadful in white, and the beau thinks that any color is more attractive than white, so I don't know if I would believe it.

All generalizations are false. :)

Any time you hear "Men prefer" or "Women like" you're listening to someone buying into the idea that men and women have standard sets of gender-defined traits and you don't have to know much about the individual man or woman you're dealing with in order to succeed or fail. Stated baldly like that, it's obviously absurd; but you wouldn't believe the number of men who have asked me what some woman I'd never even met wants, or means when she says something, or would like for her birthday!

Danged destructive habit, and I discourage it when I can.

BTW, in Japanese society, white = not virginity, but death and/or the supernatural. This is why so many anime and manga villains have white hair.

(Edit: Met, not meant; geez Louise I can't believe I didn't see that till it appeard in Bannik's quote!)

Peni said:
Stated baldly like that, it's obviously absurd; but you wouldn't believe the number of men who have asked me what some woman I'd never even meant wants, or means when she says something, or would like for her birthday!
But on the other hand people also make generalizations about the group they belong to. Perhaps, that guy heard some group of women claiming to speak on behalf of all women everywhere and, based on that, came to the conlusion that women must all be united by a some collective, group mind or something like that. Poor, innocent fellow. :sob:

Edit: I agree, though. ALL generalizations are false.

Originally posted by Godzilla Girl
...the beau thinks that any color is more attractive than white
I'd have to agree with him.

Oh, yeah, Bannik, the two sexes feed off each other in this way! Women who won't tell men what they want, expecting them to figure it out because it's so obvious, irritate me just as much (and they'll do the same thing to other women, but I don't play that game). If these types of people associated exclusively with each other, at least they'd contain the misery. I wonder whether transgender/intersex people find themselves asked to interpret the sexes to each other a lot?

But we're off-topic.

I confess, when I got on here, I assumed we'd be talking about ghostly women in white. Aren't they the most common roadside phantoms or something? I know in my childhood ULs, ghosts were assumed to be white.

Originally posted by Peni
Women who won't tell men what they want, expecting them to figure it out because it's so obvious

And there was me thinking I always seem to be missing the clues, glad to hear it's not just me.:rolleyes:

Peni said:
I confess, when I got on here, I assumed we'd be talking about ghostly women in white. Aren't they the most common roadside phantoms or something? I know in my childhood ULs, ghosts were assumed to be white.
Yes. But on the other hand we have black dogs, black automobiles, black helicopters, black flying triangles, and the Men in Black. Apparitions seem to prefer to come more often in shades than in colors.

Women in white can be malevolent too at times, IIRC, (causing people to swerve off the road to avoid hitting them for example) so it isn't just in Japan where white apparitions can be associated with death and the supernatural. :)

P.S. I at first thought this thread was going to be about ghosts too. ;)

that men are more attracted to women who wear white.

... than they are to a swift kick in the teeth?

daft statement :D

what programme was this spooky?

Kath

Bannik said:
Apparitions seem to prefer to come more often in shades than in colors.
Great. Now I'm making generalizations. :eek:

I wonder whether transgender/intersex people find themselves asked to interpret the sexes to each other a lot?

Never been asked at all, though there are quite enough generalisations that go around about trans women too, usually along the lines that we're all an easy lay (and that doen't get helped when twits like Rupert Everett appear on TV talk shows telling the host that they're really into trans women because they're the equivalent of casual gay sex for straight men):rolleyes:

There was an episode of some 80s comedy (one of the Alf Garnett series) where the main characters are having a 'battle of the sexes' argument and both lamenting that there is no independent party to mediate, at which point an effeminate gay man minces past(!) and promptly gets given the job.

Back