• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Workplace 'Ghost'

NatureRach

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Hi folks, I've been a bit of a lurker on here for a good while now, but never had anything interesting/useful to say, until now, finally! I'll dive straight into my little story now or my babbling will get the better of me:

I recently embarked on a completely new career far from home. One lunchtime, someone in my office and I got talking (we'll call her Layla as that song is in my head right now) about the paranormal, and I discovered she was a firm believer in ghosts and all manner of things - she gives ghost tours all over the countries and believes she can see and communicate with spirits. I'm not really a believer but also not really a skeptic, but I'm extremely fascinated with all things ghost related so immediately unleashed a barrage of questions at her.

We work in an old building so naturally one of the first things I asked was whether she'd ever seen anything there. She was a bit reluctant but eventually she told me that she used to frequently see a ghost in the building, more specifically in the narrow corridor just outside our office. She explained that before I started she had sat where I do now, which is facing a door to the corridor that is no longer in use due to too much furniture/too little space. The door has a window that was covered in paper, which was a little odd as our little office room wasn't exactly private, we have the other 2 doors open all day anyway. She had put the paper up herself.

Layla told me that since she started work there (around 8 years ago) she had seen a rather dapper looking man in his mid/late 40s dressed in a 50s style suit walking up the corridor when she used to arrive in the mornings. It's impossible to walk up the corridor quietly, the floorboards are old and creaky, but he made absolutely no sound. She said that his walk didn't seem to be in time with the amount of distance he covered with each step - I'm not sure what she meant by this. When she looked at him, she immediately felt an overwhelming feeling of sadness and guilt, and almost broke down in tears as these emotions were so strong and seemed to come from nowhere. As she starts an early shift at 7, there was never anyone around to help her, or for her to walk in with. Eventually she got used to it after seeing him most mornings, the feelings would fade by the time she sat down and started work.

After a while, she noticed a slight change in the way he acted - she would round the corner into the corridor (our office is not far along from the stairs) and see him as usual, but he would speed up as they neared each other. By the time she reached the door to the office he would be almost running at her - but he never followed into the room. This used to shake her pretty badly, and the sadness/guilt she had felt before was turning into something a lot more threatening.

After a few months of this, one afternoon she was working away and suddenly felt the sensation that someone was watching her. She looked up and saw the man staring at her through the window in the door. It made her jump and she screamed, and her colleague ran over to see her looking at the window - I asked him about this and he told me he caught a glimpse of a man stepping out of sight before he got to Layla.

Every few days or so after that she would look up and see him staring at her through the window, looking increasingly more angry, so she covered the window with paper. After a while, their morning meetings in the corridor happened less and less and apparently she only sees him every couple of months, and he doesn't seem as threatening, and walks very slowly.

What I took so long to get to in this story is this - last week Layla was on holiday. I let curiosity get the better of me and took down the paper covering the window on Monday. I kept stealing glances there all through that day and Tuesday but saw nothing - by Wednesday I'd become immersed in work and forgotten about it, but at around half 11 on Thursday morning, I suddenly felt that someone was watching me, well, staring at me. I looked over at the window and saw a man looking in at me. He was handsome, with thick, dark grey hair very neatly styled. He didn't look anything like what I'd imagined a ghost to look like and I would have easily took him for someone else who worked there, but the look on his face was such intense despair that immediately affected me too. The moment I looked at him I felt so awfully depressed and empty - I suffered from depression and it felt like one of my lowest points - and the more I looked at him the deeper I felt it. I had been writing just before I looked up and my pen was still touching the paper. I couldn't look away from him, it sounds strange but it felt like he was trying to make me understand what he was feeling, but I started to feel nauseous and finally looked down. On my pad I found that I had drawn a series of random, jagged lines across the page, and I had pressed down so hard I had partly ripped the paper, but I didn't realize I had done it.

It took me the rest of the day to recover, and my boss let me leave a couple of hours early after seeing me shaking and generally acting like I'd just seen a ghost (ha!). I dreaded walking in on Friday in case I would see him in the corridor, but I didn't see anything. I also put the paper back up over the window and didn't venture out into the corridor until I absolutely had to. I'm not looking forward to next week!

The thing that got me though was that it wasn't immediately obvious that he was a 'ghost' I just kind of instinctively knew he didn't belong there. I'd never felt that before, and I'm still not completely certain what I saw was a ghost as such, in fact I've just been trying not to think about it. Layla is back next week so I plan to question her more.

Apologies for the length of the story!

Good one!
That was fascinating.

Fantastic story, thank you for sharing.

Could you set up a webcam facing the door perhaps?

Have you or Layla ever tried to speak to him?

Have you mentioned him to any other members of staff, may be they know who he is.

NatureRach said:
... I had been writing just before I looked up and my pen was still touching the paper. I couldn't look away from him, it sounds strange but it felt like he was trying to make me understand what he was feeling, but I started to feel nauseous and finally looked down. On my pad I found that I had drawn a series of random, jagged lines across the page, and I had pressed down so hard I had partly ripped the paper, but I didn't realize I had done it...
do you still have the sheet of paper ?

Can you take a pic of the door and the corridor? Not really much use but in these days of modern technology no reason not to actually be able to give us a visual image of the setting, makes it easier to visualise.

Interesting tale. What kind of building is it? Would there be access to records of what was there in the 40s/50s or of what type of people may have worked there or been based there?

Thanks for the responses! I wasn't sure if it was interesting enough to read. In answer to questions, I don't think I could set up a webcam, but I'll take some sneaky photos of the corridor and the door and post a link to flickr when I can next week. I get that it's much easier to imagine things with a visual aid.

I didn't try to speak to him at all, but Layla might have done. She didn't mention it but I'll speak to her when I go in on Tuesday (thank god for bank holidays!). I know she's spoken to the woman in the office next to ours about him/it, I think she saw it too. I haven't been introduced to her yet though - I'll ask Layla more about it.

I do still have the paper I drew on, I didn't want to chuck it for some reason. I'll post a picture of that too if you want to see it. I didn't bring it home as it was in my training notebook (and I managed to ruin quite an important page of info on the other side!)

As for the type of building, it's a standard, oldish office building in an L shape with a mini warehouse tacked on beside it, right on the edge of an industrial estate. I'm not very good at describing things, sorry! The interior has been re-done, I'm sure as it is now wasn't the original layout, on my floor there's the narrow corridor that runs straight through the length of the building and then branches left, with little offices on either side. From the window in the door where I could see his face you can see the edge of the door that leads to the lifts and stairs, and the wall.

I'll subtly see if anyone knows about the history of the place, I'm still 'the new girl' and don't want to come across as a bit weird (yet anyway!) so I won't be mentioning my experience to people outright just yet!

Thanks for the responses! I wasn't sure if it was interesting enough to read. In answer to questions

You must be joking it's a great story. Only one question though as much as I'm sure we'd all like to see a photo, is it a good idea to post pictures of your new work place? If you ever were to mention this website to any of your colleagues it could backfire.

Don't want to sound like a smart arse but I know of someone that this sort of thing happened to.

Fair point, but I was just interested really to see the corridor rather than office space. Just to get an idea of the area this fellow is pacing up and down. I was a bit confused about the description of him 'walking up the corridor' and then of him 'running at her', I just was struggling to grasp the layout of the office in relation to the corridor.

The story has a feeling of 'Goodnight Sweetheart' to me... :lol:

this poor 1950s guy who has stepped through a portal into the 2010s but is unable to get back home or communicate with the people here and is just getting a bit frantic about his whole situation!

McAvennie_ said:
The story has a feeling of 'Goodnight Sweetheart' to me... :lol:

this poor 1950s guy who has stepped through a portal into the 2010s but is unable to get back home or communicate with the people here and is just getting a bit frantic about his whole situation!

Yeah, it sounds a bit like that. Maybe he's stuck in a time loop, as in Groundhog Day...

I'd like to see it too, especially the window.

She said that his walk didn't seem to be in time with the amount of distance he covered with each step

This is the bit that gets me. More M.R. James than Marks and Gran.

Great story. Am I allowed to say that I don't believe it though?

Afagddu said:
Great story. Am I allowed to say that I don't believe it though?

I do sometimes wonder if some of these IHTM stories are by amateur writers, some feel way too descriptive, like a passage from a Stephen King story rather than a genuine first person account.

That said, I for one think this poster sounds very genuine, and while the events seem inexplicable and unbelievable that is surely the point why we come here - to hear tales of the unexplained.

I'm heavily sceptical now, but I still retain the interest in the paranormal that drew me in as a child and as cynical as I am I still don't know one way or another that my sceptic's view is correct. Thus, I'm still interested to hear these stories and make my own mind up - we are all free to judge it as we see it though.

There have certainly been some stories on here that I have read while doing a 'Jimmy Hill' or a chinny reckon depending on your generation... :lol:

McAvennie_ said:
I do sometimes wonder if some of these IHTM stories are by amateur writers, some feel way too descriptive, like a passage from a Stephen King story rather than a genuine first person account.

That said, I for one think this poster sounds very genuine, and while the events seem inexplicable and unbelievable that is surely the point why we come here - to hear tales of the unexplained.

I'm heavily sceptical now, but I still retain the interest in the paranormal that drew me in as a child and as cynical as I am I still don't know one way or another that my sceptic's view is correct. Thus, I'm still interested to hear these stories and make my own mind up - we are all free to judge it as we see it though.

There have certainly been some stories on here that I have read while doing a 'Jimmy Hill' or a chinny reckon depending on your generation... :lol:

I agree totally. I was beginning to think 'oh oh short story here' whilst reading the account, but on balance I think this is genuine as well.
So, a couple of questions NatureRach :)
You mentioned that some other colleague saw the man looking in through the window, or more specifically, just step out of sight. What was his take on it? did he recognise the man ? did he think it odd? So there appears to be at least 3 people who have seen him now.
Have a chat with this colleage if you can, see what he thought.
Would it be possible for you to conduct some experiments on our behalf if I asked nicely enough? 8)
Maybe start showing up for work really early like 'Layla' see if you can encounter matey in the corridor? I wonder if McAvennie's theory has any mileage - Please bear with me now - this bloke is trapped in the wrong time and not noticed by everyone. When it is apparent to him that he has managed get someone's attention he persues this in case they can help him. When it is apparent that they cannot, or are frightened - (not his intention) he fades in to the background and awaits the next opportunity.
This might seem mad, but why not leave a note out for him of an evening with a pencil available and see if you get a response?
Itching to hear more of this.

I like the leaving a note and pencil out somewhere, maybe with a message 'I want to help...'

If you were the last to leave you could place it in the corridor and then be sure to be first in the next day.

In the cold light of day the 'Goodnight Sweetheart' theory is ridiculous, but it does seem somehow plausible! :lol:

Stranger things... as they say.

If this apparition is appearing as often as is suggested by the poster, then why not just take the paper down wait for him to come back then just open the door walk up and speak to him.

That said, I for one think this poster sounds very genuine

I completely agree with both statements. While I feel that this story was written clearly rather than creatively, I've wondered on other occasions whether people aren't trying out their writing skills here, among what they think will be a sympathetic audience. If that is right then perhaps someone should actually start a section for this over on Fortean Culture.

oldrover said:
I've wondered on other occasions whether people aren't trying out their writing skills here, among what they think will be a sympathetic audience.

I have to say it's not an original idea. :hmph:

oldrover said:
While I feel that this story was written clearly rather than creatively, I've wondered on other occasions whether people aren't trying out their writing skills here, among what they think will be a sympathetic audience.

Hardly to mention the media people looking for ideas, eh?

ive thought the same a few times recently ... the strange kid on the boat ramp in particular because it was so considered and the guy had apparently joined 3 weeks before the event took place ... posted about it and then was gone ! i asked him to give a date but he didnt reply ... ah they make good reading anyway ... i wonder if its hazel mchaffie or tim skelton ???

I also get the feeling sometimes that some posts may be writing just for the sake of writing and receiving comments, but then again, I'm sure a lot of people could easily think this very thing about the only post I've ever made a couple weeks back. I was a writing major in college and took a ridiculous amount of creative writing classes, so any narrative I write probably has a very 'flowery' or 'fictiony' feel to it, if that makes sense. Plus, I wrote my post (it was about a dream I had) and then kind of disappeared, too. But the only reason I stopped commenting is because I was 1. too busy and 2. kind of lazy. It's been so great and interesting reading everyone's responses to my post, and I'm probably just being a lazy/rude forum person by not responding. I have never really done a forum before and while I have read posts on here before, I really never wrote anything until I decided to share my dream. I don't really know what forum etiquette is so hopefully I'm not being majorly rude by not keeping up with the post I created.

Anyway, I guess this is my long and drawn out way of saying that, yes, some people could just be writing to hone their skill or whatnot here in this forum, or they could be like me -- people who write creatively in their free time, who don't really know any other way to write except for in a descriptive 'short story' sort of style.

Hi folks, sorry for the delay in replying, I've been working - actually I'm in my seat at work now (On my phone, apologies for any spelling mishaps) and I just read through your replies. Thank you all for taking an interest, I wasn't expecting much of a response really, being more of a lurked than a poster! I'm glad some of you didn't read it as a creative writing exercise, I'm crap at that sort of thing!

Trying to answer some q's - as the new girl it would be a bit weird for me to start running around taking photos, but if it helps in any way I'll draw a plan and post it on here somehow. I still have the weird doodle I did too. I like the idea of leaving a notepad out, I might do that this evening! As for getting in early, I live far away from here so get up at 6 to get here, sorry I'm not quite committed enough to get up at around 4!

I've asked layla about it more and she said that she had spoken to it once, but it/he hadn't replied. My other colleague who saw a quick glimpse refuses to believe in anything ghosty despite layla's protests so just assumed it to be some guy walking past.

I did a training day on tues and found out that this building was built in the late 40s, for folks to transfer to from London for a more relaxing atmosphere. I thought that was pretty interesting. As far as layla knows, no one has died in the building though, which makes me wonder why this man would want to hang around here.

Sorry for a bit of a crappy reply for now, I'm at work but didn't want it to seem like I'd abandoned this thread! I haven't seen anything weird since, but might ask layla (and generally pester her) more about it today.

My mother spent some 20years working in a factory producing clothes.

The ghost of the old caretaker was often seen and became part of their daily life there.

His rest area was located in the area of the ladies loos and he was sometimes seen to walk along and pas through the wall. Oddly, the ladies working there kind of accepted him and didnt deem him a threat. They nicknamed him and would say hello - but he never answered. Decriptions of him depict a nervous and timid man who had spent an age working around women :)

Just after WW2 the factory became the lsst stand of a group of robbers. They went into the roof space. The police took control of the building and sent up their dogs which quickly lost thier spirit and fled the building!

Whereabouts is it your office is based? It is interesting that it was built as somewhere to offer a more relaxing lifestyle in the 40s, yet the 40s/50s dressed guy you are seeing clearly seems distraught at being there!

One thing in the original message has rang the alarm bells for me. It's the sentence:

'She said that his walk didn't seem to be in time with the amount of distance he covered with each step - I'm not sure what she meant by this.'

How can one not know what was meant by this? I think it's implication is quite obvious. It seems to me like (for want of a better phrase) feigned (and over-done) niaivety.

However, I'll suspend my disbelief until I find out more...

I think it just means that she's not sure her interpretation is what layla was trying to convey. It is an unusual sentence and concept - I think I know what it means but I'm not sure I've got it right either.

The original post is pretty well written but I dont see that as grounds to presume that it is therefore fiction. The story doesnt strike me as contrived or unusual (in the context of this board) - its got the right level of ambiguity for a fortean experience I think. I've sometimes spent a lot of time on my posts because I'm trying to convey things as unambiguously as possible. And some of the most poorly written posts both here and elsewhere are among those I find most unbelieveable.

'She said that his walk didn't seem to be in time with the amount of distance he covered with each step - I'm not sure what she meant by this.'

Sounds like that trendy effect you see in fillums like The Ring, where someone takes a few small unsteady-looking steps and is suddenly right up to the camera.

escargot1 said:

Sounds like that trendy effect you see in fillums like The Ring, where someone takes a few small unsteady-looking steps and is suddenly right up to the camera.

It made me imagine the effect when you walk on the moving walk ways at air ports - you walk at normal speed but if you look sideways are moving much faster. I suppose the opposite is true if you turn round and walk the other way :)

Working my way slowly through the IHTM posts I came across this, which seemed unique in that it is something that was happening in real time and the witness was still investigating -- but then it stopped suddenly... Does anyone know what happened at the haunted office? Or why everyone lost interest in it?

Working my way slowly through the IHTM posts I came across this, which seemed unique in that it is something that was happening in real time and the witness was still investigating -- but then it stopped suddenly... Does anyone know what happened at the haunted office? Or why everyone lost interest in it?

The original poster wandered off at the end of 2011 and hasn't returned--no follow up.

yeah i always wondered whatd happened to rachael and her doodles and photos ... lost somewhere now, like tears in rain

Back