• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

X-factor hopeful duetting with dead Beatle

evilsprout

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
I had the misfortune to watch X-factor last night, and on it was one entrant who claimed to have recorded a duet with John Lennon using one of his inventions. He mimed along while a tape recorder played one of his own songs that supposedly had John Lennon singing the choruses.

Needless to say the judges weren't impressed, and Sharon Osbourne decribed him as "barking", which seemed to upset him a tad.

I'm tempted to side with Sharon on this one... but has anyone heard of this fella before, or similar claims?

I didn't see it, and all I can find is that he was called Howard.

oh, and he's barking ;)

Paul McCartney said recently that George Harrsion's spirit wrote a song through him for his (Paul's) new album. That would make more sense than Lennon dictating to and accompanying Mr Nobody from X Factor.

Anyone remember Adrian Edmonson on More Bad News writing songs with the deceased John Lennon? "This one's called Imogen".

gncxx said:
Anyone remember Adrian Edmonson on More Bad News writing songs with the deceased John Lennon? "This one's called Imogen".

Yeah, I liked when he said he could play "Stairway to Heaven when I was 14. Which isnt bad considering Jimmy Page didnt write it until he was 22."

chockfullahate said:
i seem to remember some medium type person who has made similar claims about mr lennon giving her new songs to write down and perform.

paul coyte on Capital Gold's drivetime sometimes features an american lady called Fran Baskerville (' the singing psychic') who says that she has also written songs on behalf of John Lennon and George Harrison. apparently she also predicted the death of Johnny Carson (!). beat that Del!

http://www.singingpsychic.com/

Linda & Gerald Polley are Spiritists; they don't believe in God, John Lennon is their guru... and they've got one hell of an ultra-right wing agenda. They are in direct contact with Lennon, from the Afterlife, and they channel his new songs: songs about kicking Saddam's butt, songs about Ah-nold kicking Gray Davis's butt, songs about The Evil Homosexuality... you know, all that pinko "Imagine there's no Heaven" crap.

You can download an mp3 of Linda Polley singing 'Hussein's Butt Song' here.

oddly enough Ms Baskerville had a similar song, entitled ' Mr Bush is gonna kick Saddam's ass' or something similar, also allegedly inspired by mr lennon. surely he's not two timing the poor woman?
another lady featured by Paul Coyte on his show is another american psychic, Victoria Bullis, who allegedly sees famous dead people. she is currently in the process of compiling a book of recipes from dead celebs. she reports that Johnny Rotten is very excited about the project.

I caught a bit of it and I thought he said he was an inventor. I think he had sampled or analysed Lennons voice and could apply it to new lyrics.

I think that was why he was so insistant that it really was Lennon's voice, which tended to make him look unhinged to the judges who didnt grasp what he had attempted (and it sounded poor).

Mind you because I only caught a bit, I may be way off the mark :D

Hang on a sec... isn't Johnny Rotten alive and well and using his real name of John Lydon? Or am I getting confused again?

McCartney, IIRC, has a long history of talking with the dead - the Beatles' song "Fool on the Hill" was inspired by a ghostly encounter on Primrose Hill in London; "Eleanor Rigby" is about a lonely ghost stalking a Liverpool graveyard; more recently (well, a decade or so ago) he claimed to see Lennon on stage with him during a gig in Liverpool.

Wandering back to the subject... I'm allergic to wannabes so missed the programme but, as Amphiarus said, it does sound like a voice-sampling gizmo. Nothing really new there, although one does have to wonder why he chose to sample Lennon who was a better writer than singer, IMO.

Jane.

moderndayyorkist said:
oddly enough Ms Baskerville had a similar song, entitled ' Mr Bush is gonna kick Saddam's ass' or something similar, also allegedly inspired by mr lennon. surely he's not two timing the poor woman?
another lady featured by Paul Coyte on his show is another american psychic, Victoria Bullis, who allegedly sees famous dead people. she is currently in the process of compiling a book of recipes from dead celebs. she reports that Johnny Rotten is very excited about the project.

johnny rotten is definitely alive and well. isn't he?

When I first heard about this, I was kind of hoping it would be an EVP type thing and Lennon's voice would sound like Krrrsszzzttshhhhztsssshhhhtttzzzt to everyone else :D

mejane1 said:
McCartney, IIRC, has a long history of talking with the dead - the Beatles' song "Fool on the Hill" was inspired by a ghostly encounter on Primrose Hill in London; "Eleanor Rigby" is about a lonely ghost stalking a Liverpool graveyard; more recently (well, a decade or so ago) he claimed to see Lennon on stage with him during a gig in Liverpool.

I haven't heard any of this stuff, jane! Turn me on, dead man--I mean, can you elucidate?

Photo of Linda and Gerald Polley here:
http://members.tripod.com/~Spiritist/speakers.htm

Didn't Gerald Polley use to play bass for the Stranglers? ;)

That Saddam song was okay, but this is sheer genius!

A TRIBUTE TO GEORGE LUCAS
(There Are Real Jedi Knights)
By; John Lennon
Channeled Through; Linda J. Polley
All rights reserved.

1. There are real Jedi Knights,
those who fight for what is right,
They use the powers of the Light,
For truth and justice they will fight!

2. There are real Jedi Knights,
who will do what they must do,
They protect those who are true,
Evil doers will be through!

3. There are real Jedi Knights,
though they look like you and me,
They use a power you can't see,
their faith is all they need!

4. There are real Jedi Knights
may there be more every day!
May the dark side clear the way!
May the force be here to stay!

5. There are real Jedi Knights
with swords of shining light
they go into the night,
Always doing what is right!

6. There are real Jedi Knights!
Always doing what is right
With swords of shining light,
always fighting in the night!

Source: http://spiritist.tripod.com/V19N4/p8.htm

And more of it here:
http://spiritist.tripod.com/V19N4/links.htm

chockfullahate said:
moderndayyorkist said:

yeah, sorry, my bad! it was sid vicious. i never was one for the 'pistols. judging by the way that johnny rotten looked last time i saw him though i wouldnt be surprised if he was dead by now!

minordrag said:
mejane1 said:

I haven't heard any of this stuff, jane! Turn me on, dead man--I mean, can you elucidate?

You'll be wanting me to admit next that I had posters of Macca plastered all over my walls in the 70's :oops:

The Beatles stuff is from Hunter Davies' official biography called, believe it or not, "The Official Biography of The Beatles", which was written in the early 70's, and regularly updated since.

The Liverpool gig... my memory is hazy but I think it was the climax of his "Get Back" tour... early 1990s? I'd got over my teenage obsession by then :D

Jane.

EDIT: Hunter Davies' book was written in 1968, when Paul was in love with Jane Asher; John was happy with Cynthia and their son; George was wondering why his best friend was writing songs about his wife; Ringo was getting drunk with The Who's drummer.... simpler times :D

If I may elucidate... The 'Fool On the Hill' story is that Macca and a companion were walking in a London park early one morning when they were greeted by a stranger. As they turned to look after him, he had disappeared from sight completely... The 'Eleanor Rigby' tale was a new one on me though as Paul was always adamant that 'Eleanor' came from Eleanor Bron (who appeared in 'Help!') and 'Rigby' came from a shop in Bristol. It was later discovered that a headstone in the graveyard of Woolton church (where McCartney first met John Lennon in 1957) bears the name 'Eleanor Rigby' and Paul now acknowledges that he may have recalled this subliminally when he wrote the song years later.

He is indeed and is now even fronting a show on Discovery Animal planet called Johnny Lydons Megabugs, a fantastic trawl thorough the world of creepy crawlies. He actually makes quite a good presenter of this sort of stuff from what i've seen of it.

WhistlingJack said:
If I may elucidate... The 'Fool On the Hill' story is that Macca and a companion were walking in a London park early one morning when they were greeted by a stranger. As they turned to look after him, he had disappeared from sight completely... The 'Eleanor Rigby' tale was a new one on me though as Paul was always adamant that 'Eleanor' came from Eleanor Bron (who appeared in 'Help!') and 'Rigby' came from a shop in Bristol. It was later discovered that a headstone in the graveyard of Woolton church (where McCartney first met John Lennon in 1957) bears the name 'Eleanor Rigby' and Paul now acknowledges that he may have recalled this subliminally when he wrote the song years later.

Yes, and just to add a romantic twist to the tale, Paul's mother (who died when he was a young teenager, shortly before he met Lennon), is also buried in the graveyard at Woolton. I've always thought that Eleanor Rigsby was about his mother and her regret that she couldn't live to see her boys grow up. Whatever the truth, it's a beautiful song.

(I think I'm wrong in thinking that the E.R. tale was in Hunter Davies' book... I, erm, read it somewhere!)

Jane.

Back