• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
jubecrew said:
Hey so I picked up all the seasons of the x-files as I used to watch it when I was a kid with my dad and I believe this show accounts for most of my mistrust of the government and my wild and zaney belief that the governments of the world have information in regards to alien life on earth and cover it up with operations such as the black ops of the men in black type departments minus will smith and the other guy ;)

Did anyone else use to watch this show and be freaked out by all the crazy stuff during the UFO episodes where they would retell of experiences of having your teeth drilled and abductions?

Its so easy to blame films tv shows on how people see things,but would add with the likes of the MOD keeping files from the public it dont help but add to the belief that the governments of the world have information in regards to alien life on earth.

If you like the X-files,then you should watch the film (THE FORTH KIND)

I have BT vision broadband TV service (bit like SKY), I set Xfiles onto series record in 2008 and by the end of 2009 I had watched it all (allbeit not in order). Then BT vision put X files on demand so you can watch it whenever. The wife showed an interest and now we are watching it all in order!

The first 2 seasons are superb but then it starts to trail off.

I don't think there is any link between the xfiles and my views on government/national organisations.

johncbdg1 said:
Is this your latest film about weirdness in Lothian?

McAvennie_ said:
It's great watching the early seasons and spotting the stars of the future.

Lucy Liu, Ryan Reynolds, Jack Black, a few guys out of 24... that's the ones I remember off my head.

Giovanni Ribisi was in DPO

Was in my late teens/early 20's during X-Files hey-day, absolutely loved it. My childhood experience, similar to what Jubecrew relates, was watching Project UFO as a very young child in the late 70's. My brother and I are still freaked out by those horse headed aliens! :shock: That is one show that should definitely be released on DVD.

Ah yeh Ribisi was in DPO. I'm sure there are more 'Before They Were Famous' people from the first two or three series. I've got a weird feeling Tobey Maguire as well, but I think that may have been Eerie Indiana.

The Forth Kind [sic] was one of the worst films I've ever sat through at a cinema! Really awful.

In terms of being spooked by alien abduction, as Jubecrew mentioned, the tooth drilling was quite nasty but I don't think anything in the X Files freaked me out as much as the bit in Fire In The Sky where Robert Patrick ends up in some goo filled pod with loads of other abductees. :shock:

Patrick who of course went on to be John Doggett in the X Files.

I loved the X Files. I was dating my husband (before we were married) and the rule was No Dates on Friday nights because the X Files was on. So that was Guy's Night Out for him while I stayed home.

I watched it religiously for the first 7 seasons, then it got kind of weird and disjointed. Loved seasons 2--5 especially. Had to watch Season 9, though, no matter how painful it was. I was really ticked when they killed off Krychek--I was kind of hoping he and Skinner would solve all their problems over a beer or something. :) To me, Krychek was an anti-hero as opposed to an out and out villain. But that's my opinion and I know a lot of people would skewer me for even saying that!

DougalLongfoot wrote:

Was in my late teens/early 20's during X-Files hey-day, absolutely loved it. My childhood experience, similar to what Jubecrew relates, was watching Project UFO as a very young child in the late 70's. My brother and I are still freaked out by those horse headed aliens! Shocked That is one show that should definitely be released on DVD

Would that be Project Blue Book? I was just a kid then, too, and some of those shows really freaked me out. I remember one episode where a family is held hostage in their own house because the aliens are running all over the yard trying to get in. Kind of like Signs.

And speaking of the X Files, did anyone watch The Millennium Man?

McAvennie wrote:
And the T-1000 in Terminator 2, although that came first.

I kinda watched Millennium but it didn't really do it for me.

I'm not sure if The Lone Gunmen ever aired here in the UK but I keep meaning to get the DVD box set of that.

McAvennie_ said:
In terms of being spooked by alien abduction, as Jubecrew mentioned, the tooth drilling was quite nasty but I don't think anything in the X Files freaked me out as much as the bit in Fire In The Sky where Robert Patrick ends up in some goo filled pod with loads of other abductees. :shock:

Got to agree on that. The film (if not the reports) did suggest the fear of the 'alien' quite well.

you know I didn't really like the movie the fourth kind either, interesting concept of course but overall not captivating enough to hold my interest

McAvennie_ said:
I don't think anything in the X Files freaked me out as much as the bit in Fire In The Sky where Robert Patrick ends up in some goo filled pod with loads of other abductees. :shock:

Robert Patrick played the brother in law, Mike Rogers, who was in charge of the logging crew. DB Sweeney played the abductee Travis Walton. The real Travis Walton (and it is my favourite abductee story) claimed to have had no memory of his experiences aboard the UFO.

Happy Bunny said:
Would that be Project Blue Book? I was just a kid then, too, and some of those shows really freaked me out. I remember one episode where a family is held hostage in their own house because the aliens are running all over the yard trying to get in. Kind of like Signs.

They worked for Project Bluebook, though in real life, it had been wound up years before, but despite many peoples memories, was never broadcast under that name. The episode you mention was Sighting 4004: The Howard Crossing Incident and, like many episodes, was loosely based on a real life incident, The Kelly-Hopkinsville Goblins

Just checked my HDD and it is the only episode of Season 1 I don't have. Bugger! Anyone got it or any of season 2?

johncbdg1 said:
stuneville said:
johncbdg1 said:
Is this your latest film about weirdness in Lothian?

Nothing to do with me here is a preview, its been out in the uk for some time now.
http://www.thefourthkind.net/#/featurette
Try again it would be a great title for a compilation of your Lothian UFO films though, wouldn't it? The FORTH Kind. Just a thought.

Close Encounters of the Third Clyde...?

DougalLongfoot said:
McAvennie_ said:
I don't think anything in the X Files freaked me out as much as the bit in Fire In The Sky where Robert Patrick ends up in some goo filled pod with loads of other abductees. :shock:

Robert Patrick played the brother in law, Mike Rogers, who was in charge of the logging crew. DB Sweeney played the abductee Travis Walton. The real Travis Walton (and it is my favourite abductee story) claimed to have had no memory of his experiences aboard the UFO.

I had a feeling Robert Patrick was not actually the abductee, he was the only person I could remember from the film though.

Hasn't been on TV for a while, wouldn't mind watching that again.

Do they actually show the aliens? I remember that you don't actually ever see them which I think made it scarier. May be misremembering that though.

McAvennie_ said:
Do they actually show the aliens? I remember that you don't actually ever see them which I think made it scarier. May be misremembering that though.

In Fire in the Sky, you do get to see the aliens.
In fact, they look terrifying real - probably among the most plausible-looking film aliens I've seen.
I think it's a very good film.

About the actual event - I remember being in school at the time and reading about it. I thought 'wow, at last - multiple witnesses have seen an abduction happening'. Although no solid evidence remains, it is still one of the classic abduction cases.

Will have to download it and watch it again. Must be 15 years since I saw it. I still think of it as the best UFO movie, will be interesting to see if it holds up.

Fire in the Sky has the best abduction sequence in UFO movies, maybe only rivalled by Close Encounters, the only bad thing about it is that it doesn't really stick to Travis's story and makes up something more 1990s instead of 1970s. Plus D.B. Sweeney didn't have a moustache, come on, it's Travis Walton! He should have had the moustache!

The Fourth Kind, on the other hand, was one of the most boring films I've ever seen, and didn't even have a space alien in it to brighten things up.

watching the youtube link now, I think I have seen this movie sometime ago but I found the opening scene with the white junk to be border line matrix as well, obviously this came before the matrix

There was a season 2 episode about a retarded guy who cleans up this scientific place who solves a puzzle/riddle on the white board that reminded me alot like that flick with Ben Aff and the other guy he usually does movies with where the guy is a math genius, kinda reminded me that they must have stolen the idea and ran with it after watching an xfiles episode

I honestly think that if i was ever abducted I would try to communicate through telepathy, maybe ask if they could put me under so i didn't have to remember too much, maybe ask them to fix some broken teeth ;) lol

I was also somewhat disappointed with "The Fourth Kind." Without giving any spoilers- it started out good but got quite ridiculous towards the end (think "Ghostbusters")

The twisty elongated face bit I found quite disturbing but as a whole it was just a bit deathly dull.

A good idea poorly executed. The constant cutting from real footage to re-enacted footage I just found very irritating.

I imagine not much went into the cost of making the movie :D the previews however hyped it up and for a second made me think the actual documented moments were real until I started looking for this on the internet and found nothing hehe

gulliable i know

I started buying/watching the box sets in Dec 2008 and managed to get up to the last one by Jan this year, but I just can't be bothered to watch them now! What's the point without m+s?

However, I just got The Lone Gunmen and it's surprisingly good, for a spin-off.

I'd recommend The Lone Gunmen too, it's a shame it never took off (like pretty much all the X Files spin-offs) because it was a lot of fun. Best episode was probably the chimpanzee one.

Were there any other spinoffs, other than Millennium?

ttaarraass said:
Were there any other spinoffs, other than Millennium?

The movies, Lone Gunmen, Harsh Realm might count (it was from the same people). Not as popular as the original XF, sadly, unless you count that Simpsons episode.

Didn't want to start a new thread and found this one, hopefully no one will mind me hijacking it!?

So, since it was first aired I've casually watched the Xfiles. Over the years I've probably seen most episodes, someone lent us the box sets back in 2005 and we made an effort to watch the entire series in order but (as is always the case) something else stole our attention after just a few episodes.

It's now on demand via our broadband TV provider, and (since the wife is working night shifts at the moment) I've been watching seasons 1,2 and now into 3.

I just wanted to say that it is surprising me just how well it has dated. It's been over fifteen years for the older seasons and they still stack up well next to modern series such as The Mentalist.

Anyway, to my point. The episodes vary massively in terms of quality. None are awful but it is fair to say that some do stand out in a big way. My choice for best episode goes to "Clyde Bruckmans Final Repose" but their are many excellent ones. I just wanted to know if anyone else has a particular favourite. And also, I've never seen the last 2 seasons...are they as bad as people say?

linesmachine said:
I've never seen the last 2 seasons...are they as bad as people say?
Not so much "bad" - certainly, the production values held up remarkably well over 9 series - but self-indulgent and dull. You could watch an episode, enjoying the performances, and only afterward realise that, to quote the title of one particularly stultifying 2-parter, "Nothing Important Happened Today".

That's not to say that there weren't still great, quirky stories in the last couple of seasons, but the overall story arc seemed to take over more and more of the plotlines. To be honest, all the Scully's baby / shady conspiracy stuff was a bit of a yawn-fest for me.

tbh i thought it went past it's best after season 3, esp. with the conspiracy arc consistently failing to either end, deliver or actually do anything much besides grind on.

there were some good stand alones after that point though, i think Jose Chung's From Outer Space Probably being the best of them, and possibly the most amazing episode of the series ever.

Back