• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Yearly Paranormal Camping Trip

jimv1 said:
But beware...to see her means death is imminent.

Gulp...

Thanks jimv1, Cornbury park is about 4 miles away but apparently security there is high as it's a private estate.

Rollright is definitely the leading contender and I loved the Dancing children tale. We'll be staying the night and for the first time ever I can exclusively report we'll be taking a camcorder!

Never heard of Satan's Guide to Oxfordshire, might see if I can get a copy off ebay.

This thread reminded me of a place I've always wondered about a piece of ground called 'druids grave', on the Black Mountain in Dyfed, near the source of the river Loughor

My father was a trials rider back in the 50's and often had to mark out routes, and claims that he passed through this place several times.In the day he had no problem, but at night he said he was terrified, suggestion i'm sure, but apparently the place had a bad name amongst everyone who rode there.

When I asked him how accessible it was he turned into an extra from an old hammer film, saying that no bird or animal ever sets foot there, and that no person should either. When I asked him why and he just said "the atmosphere!" :shock:

oldrover said:
This thread reminded me of a place I've always wondered about a piece of ground called 'druids grave', on the Black Mountain in Dyfed, near the source of the river Loughor

My father was a trials rider back in the 50's and often had to mark out routes, and claims that he passed through this place several times.In the day he had no problem, but at night he said he was terrified, suggestion i'm sure, but apparently the place had a bad name amongst everyone who rode there.

When I asked him how accessible it was he turned into an extra from an old hammer film, saying that no bird or animal ever sets foot there, and that no person should either. When I asked him why and he just said "the atmosphere!" :shock:

Sounds exactly the sort of place I opt for! Maybe I should change the title of this thread to "Illegal Camping exploits with a Paranormal Twist".

Try telling them in their local pub that you're visiting. Everyone will stop talking and look at you. "Eeh don't want to be goin' there. Why did they speak with a Somerset accent in east Europe?

In an effort to keep the authorities guessing (or possibly just because of availability issues) the Paranormal Camping trip has been brought forward from October to....tomorrow!

For those that are interested I will post a follow up over the weekend with any photos etc.

"Any suggestions much appreciated and photos of such activities will be made available" Ouija board anybody?

titch said:
"Any suggestions much appreciated and photos of such activities will be made available" Ouija board anybody?

We have provisions for some amatuerish EVP and Ouija activities as well as the usual orb hunting camera tech (me with an SLR shooting randomly).

Hope all goes well and you have fun. Keep safe and I look forward to hearing the results.

Best of luck :)

Thanks for the knd words. The weather is grey but relatively warm and dry for tomorrow night. Tess the ghost hunting Labrador doesn't "do" wet so the weather gap is crucial and one of the reaons we've changed the date. That and the fact my friend and are about to become first time dads (something we didn't bargain on when we set the initial date last November).

If anyone has any suggestions for DIY paranormal kit then please shout. I've made some divining rods to add to the kit. This is our most Fortean site ever attempted so if anyone wants to know where it is they can probably guess, or pm me if they can't stand the wait.

So how did it go? Did you experience anything unusual, odd, paranormal?????? Can't wait to hear about your adventures, shame the weather wasnt great though.

Hope Tess enjoyed herself :)

linesmachine said:

If anyone has any suggestions for DIY paranormal kit then please shout. I've made some divining rods to add to the kit. ...
A pendulum and an improvised oui-ja board?

The Paranormal Camping Trip was easily our most successfull yet. Two quite odd things were experienced, one which truly sent a shiver up both our spines. I'll post a full response when back from work later regarding this. There will be some photos too (prepare yourselves for some serious orb action).

For those that didn't guess the location was the Rollright Stones http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rollright_Stones in North Oxfordshire. A place steeped in paranormal history. I must admit though that I left with a distinct feeling of calm and peace. Even at 2am on a blustery night it was stunning and we've decided we might do a follow up trip later this year.

There will come a time, quite soon, when a peaceful night's sleep is something you will remember with fondness and longing. :lol:

Have I missed what happened? Come on lm, dont keep us all in suspense :)

Maybe they are not telling us because they are holding out for a movie deal! :)

Perhaps his lady has gone into labour......hope all is ok if that's the case.

wopppittess said:
Perhaps his lady has gone into labour......hope all is ok if that's the case.

Lol, no the wife isn't scheduled for birthing until mid August. I've just been waiting for my mate to stick our photos on a CD for me. I'll make an effort to write a report and upload the photos tonight. Apologies for the wait but work has been a bit hectic.

Birthing is a piece of piss compared with evading the opening of a Hellportal to the undead forces. Not to overdramatise your current situation you understand.

jimv1 said:
Birthing is a piece of piss compared with evading the opening of a Hellportal to the undead forces. Not to overdramatise your current situation you understand.

Now how can you, as a male, be sure? :)

Something tells me that battling at the gates of evil is nothing compared to the screaming agony of child birth!

Again, apologies for the lateness in posting the results. I've now got the photos and will write up the report ASAP.

linesmachine said:
Again, apologies for the lateness in posting the results. I've now got the photos and will write up the report ASAP.
Expecting great things. Hope it's worth the wait.

Sorry, my friend and I are both assisting pregnant wives and I've started a new job which is proving a real struggle. The photos have been have been stuck on my computer and I just need to upload to flickr, fake some orbs and write the explanation. Bear with me!

P.S. I will stick it on tonight I promise!

P.P.S BTW that was a joke about faking orbs, I'll prob stick the photos on totally untouched, probably won't even lighten/sharpen them. I'll leave that to the experts.....GUYS/GALS!? that's you!

This is like waiting for the till receipt from the trans-dimensional gas station.

Dont keep us waiting six years please.

:lol:

So, on the 15th July my good friend John and I went Paranormal Camping at the Rollright Stones in North Oxfordshire. This is our fifth annual "PC" excercise and so far we have experienced nothing that we can even come close to classing as paranormal. Actually you could argue that our use of even the phrase "Camping" is dubious when you consider my £15 pop up tent.... but that's by the by.

We had performed a reckie of the site a few weeks earlier in order to agree a spot for the tents (it's technically illegal after all, so we don't want to turn up on the day and wander round with camping equipment looking for a pitch) and found a spot that we felt was hidden from view but very near to the stones. It turned out to be a good spot and on the evening we rocked up at about 8pm, gathered some firewood, pitched the tents and set ourselves up.

I'm not going to post a shot of the pitch in case we want to use it again. I hasten to add at this point that we are fastidiously tidy campers. We leave no evidence of our camping, especially not litter. We both love the countryside and the camping part of these events. Although it's usually technically "illegal camping" we do everything we can to ensure we can continue what we do by respecting the land.

At about 9pm we wandered to the "Whispering Knights" and then on to the stone circle. At this point we took a load of photos. All of them were uneventful except for 2 which featured loads of orbs. Here's one:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewline ... hotostream

In all I guess we took about 50 photos (which we still have if any one wants to see). They showed no orbs apart from the two mentioned which featured loads. I wonder if this is due to seed spore being released en mass at certain times. In the middle of the circle someone had left a bunch of "flowers". See here with me studying the (apparently Pagan?) flower arrangement http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewline ... hotostream

After absORBing the atmosphere (see what I did there!?) we crossed the road to the King Stone. The sun had just set to the West and the view over the North of Oxfordshire was awesome as you are elevated. We approached the King Stone itself which is full of legend http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:The_K ... tcard_No10).jpg

As we were talking about the immense size of the stone we had a bizarre moment when the wrought iron gate simply swung open in front of us. Anyone whose been there will know that this is a bit like the fence at Stone Henge opening. Since the 1940s the King Stone has been surrounded by a strong, 4 ish foot high fence. I've never known of anyone getting inside it, let alone it swinging open of it's own accord. In fact I think you would struggle to get over it even if you put your mind to it. We took this picture http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewline ... hotostream

We then entered the inner sanctum (this felt very special and we almost tip toed into it!) and touched the stone. It was odd as only when you get that close do you realise how big it is. Here's a photo of John posing "under" it's curving shape: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andrewline ... hotostream

This is definitely the most Fortean type event we have ever had. In fact, up till this point, the orbs were the weirdest thing we had experienced in the 5 years we have been doing this. But I can't even describe how odd it was when the gate just swung open in front of us. We were just standing in front of the gate as it happened. It left both of us speechless.

I must say that at no point were either of us alarmed, more shocked. My lasting impression of the site in general is an overrall feeling of "calmness". I'm not a hippy or anything but it was a very comforting atmosphere. And when we went to bed, back at the campsite at about 2am, I felt nothing but happiness. Although we'd had a few bottles of beer (as you might have noticed from the inner circle photo!).

We always wake early after Paranormal Camping in order to get packed up before the early morning dog walkers. On this occaision it was pretty miserable with heavy rain and a bit of a driving wind. But we were thankful that the night itself was dry enough to facilitate the wanders round the stones followed by a miniature bottle of Champagne by the camp fire to celebrate the fact that we were both about to become Dads for the first time.

I'll never forget it. And I look forward to more Paranormal Camping with one of the best friends I have ever had.

Back