• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

York (UK) Area: Dog-Friendly Fortean Days Out

Krepostnoi

Increasingly disenchanted
Younger daughter D has a day-long class booked near York tomorrow. This means that I and the Kreposterous Kanine will be at something of a loose end between approx 9am and 4pm. Hence I'm looking for recommendations of places of Fortean interest in the broad York area (to give you a sense of my catchment area, in the absence of better suggestions, I'll head for Filey via either Rudston or Wharram Percy, but I'm hoping for new-to-me places) that are dog-friendly and, ideally, budget-friendly.

Tagging on the coat-strings of @Ghost In The Machine,@catseye and @Stormkhan in particular, but all suggestions gratefully received :)

Younger daughter D has a day-long class booked near York tomorrow. This means that I and the Kreposterous Kanine will be at something of a loose end between approx 9am and 4pm. Hence I'm looking for recommendations of places of Fortean interest in the broad York area (to give you a sense of my catchment area, in the absence of better suggestions, I'll head for Filey via either Rudston or Wharram Percy, but I'm hoping for new-to-me places) that are dog-friendly and, ideally, budget-friendly.

Tagging on the coat-strings of @Ghost In The Machine,@catseye and @Stormkhan in particular, but all suggestions gratefully received :)
Just be careful. Tomorrow being Easter Sunday a lot of things may be shut that might otherwise be expected to be open. But may I recommend Kirkham Priory for a lovely walk by a river, with history thrown in? And I second Whitby, although if the weather is sunny it will be heaving with holidaymakers which might make it tricky for dog. But you can walk up to Sandsend, and normally the crowds stay within 200 metres of the nearest shop selling coffee, ice cream and beer, so you lose them very quickly.

I gather that Clifford's Tower has been reopened as a Tourist Trap Attraction. Probably not doggie-friendly, though. :thought:

Rievaulx abbey?

47 miles from York and you’re in the delightful Whitby, with its Dracula connection and much else to see & do.

maximus otter
Thanks, Max - it's a good suggestion, and I've never been to either Rievaulx or Jervaulx, despite them having been on my figurative doorstep for decades. However, I'm afraid you've been overtaken by events:
may I recommend Kirkham Priory
It's really rather Fortean in its own right that you should mention Kirkham Priory. It's a place I associate with my late mum, and something happened this afternoon that brought her strongly to mind, along with her love of daffodils. So I'd actually started wondering about Farndale. It's a genuinely lovely piece of synchronicity that you should have mentioned Kirkham Priory, and I think I will probably combine the two. The circumstances are certainly sufficiently Fortean for me to believe that this meets my criteria.

Last edited:
I knew nothing of Rievaulx before visiting with my brother who'd heard of it on Time Team - my mate who was born in Yorkshire had never heard of it either and it's not exactly small.

Rievaulx01.jpg

Thanks, Max - it's a good suggestion, and I've never been to either Rievaulx or Jervaulx, despite them having been on my figurative doorstep for decades. However, I'm afraid you've been overtaken by events:

It's really rather Fortean in its own right that you should mention Kirkham Priory. It's a place I associate with my late mum, and something happened this afternoon that brought her strongly to mind, along with her love of daffodils. So I'd actually started wondering about Farndale. It's a genuinely lovely piece of synchronicity that you should have mentioned Kirkham Priory, and I think I will probably combine the two. The circumstances are certainly sufficiently Fortean for me to believe that this meets my criteria.
Just be aware too that the daffs are just about over in Farndale now, and also it will be HEAVING with people who go there every Easter to see the daffs. The warm weather in March brought them on really quickly and one of my customers came in the other day having been out to Farndale for the daffodils, and said they were looking 'rather sad'. So don't go expressly to see the daffs and you'll be fine. Head to the Daffy Caffy!

Try Thornborough. I know some pagans who swear by it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thornborough_Henges
Any word on what access to the site is like these days? I understand it has been, uh, challenging in the past.

ETA: Never mind, a cursory (ho-ho*) glance at the map suggests that there's a lane that cuts across just south of the central henge. Is that a new thing? I'm almost certain the last time I looked into visiting (granted, well over a decade ago) there was no such easy access.

* Ha-ha, I guess, if we're talking about ditches of one kind or another.

Last edited:
Just be aware too that the daffs are just about over in Farndale now
Really? Wow, they've only just peaked in Leeds. My mum used to work for Yorkshire Water, and the engineers would give the bid to the rest of the staff when the display was at its best.
also it will be HEAVING with people who go there every Easter to see the daffs.
Now you mention it, of course it will be :doh:. Maybe I'll reconsider that part, then. I'm still drawn to the riverside walk at Kirkham, though. Very much so.

a cursory (ho-ho*) glance at the map suggests that there's a lane that cuts across just south of the central henge. Is that a new thing? I'm almost certain the last time I looked into visiting (granted, well over a decade ago) there was no such easy access.
Well, the central and southern henges are connected by a footpath, and had fairly easy access last time I went; the northern one is in a wood down a narrow lane, and I haven't managed to get to that one yet, but it is the best preserved of the lot, apparently.

Really? Wow, they've only just peaked in Leeds. My mum used to work for Yorkshire Water, and the engineers would give the bid to the rest of the staff when the display was at its best.

Now you mention it, of course it will be :doh:. Maybe I'll reconsider that part, then. I'm still drawn to the riverside walk at Kirkham, though. Very much so.
There always used to be a daff-cam for visitors to check on the flowers before they turned up. I've no idea if it's still running.

Where did you end up going, @Krepostnoi? I hope you had a good day, wherever you went, the weather has been spectacular!

There always used to be a daff-cam for visitors to check on the flowers before they turned up. I've no idea if it's still running.

Where did you end up going, @Krepostnoi? I hope you had a good day, wherever you went, the weather has been spectacular!
Pup was poorly, it turned out. :( I ended up dropping D off at her thing smelling faintly of dog vomit. I did go to Kirkham Priory on the off-chance that KK had got it out of her system, but she was obviously still off-colour. So we sat and cuddled on the river bank for a bit and watched the house martins swoop, and then headed straight home. Not the day I had planned by any means, but Pup has perked up since, so that's the main thing.

Kirkham 2.jpeg

Missed this, Krepostnoi but we were just at Rievaulx on Saturday with our pooch. The only English Heritage site (that's an abbey) I know of in Yorkshire where dogs are not allowed, is Mount Grace and I think that's because it's also National Trust..? Glad you saw Kirkham though (was there a fortnight ago!) and we go repeatedly to Byland, probably most weeks because it's one you can just walk in to - not far from Rievaulx - to the point I feel I know every stone of it. Our dog loves it there. She was once followed round by a very elderly sheepdog from the nearby farm. She hates other dogs but was strangely cool with this ancient one. Glad your pupper is on the mend.

Great thing about Byland is you can go in the evenings when nobody is there - they leave the gate open.

Pup was poorly, it turned out. :( I ended up dropping D off at her thing smelling faintly of dog vomit. I did go to Kirkham Priory on the off-chance that KK had got it out of her system, but she was obviously still off-colour. So we sat and cuddled on the river bank for a bit and watched the house martins swoop, and then headed straight home. Not the day I had planned by any means, but Pup has perked up since, so that's the main thing.

View attachment 54446
Glad you managed to at least get out for a change of scenery. Kirkham looks beautiful in that pic.
Our dog loves it there. She was once followed round by a very elderly sheepdog from the nearby farm. She hates other dogs but was strangely cool with this ancient one. Glad your pupper is on the mend.
I wonder if your dog was all right because she was 'off her territory'? Mine is an absolute bugger with other dogs, but we met a JRT on a recent run to somewhere we don't go often, and she played with him beautifully. I reasoned it was because she felt no need to 'defend her ground' because it was actually HIS ground...

Glad you managed to at least get out for a change of scenery. Kirkham looks beautiful in that pic.
Oh, it was. Don't get me wrong, it felt like a blessing to be there, even if my plans had to be amended. The river bank was lovely, and I had a genuinely uplifting conversation with the couple who run the pub up the road - they were out walking their dog before the bank holiday "carnage" (their words!) began. I hope they made a bundle, because they were a genuinely lovely couple, and I regret not being able to call in for a non-alcoholic pint after stretching our legs along the river bank. It also did my morale plenty of good to watch the spring be manifested by the arrival of the martins. Not for the first time, I felt fairly envious of you folks lucky enough to live in that part of the world.
Great thing about Byland is you can go in the evenings when nobody is there - they leave the gate open.
That's good to know, I will definitely keep that in mind.

...the northern one is in a wood down a narrow lane, and I haven't managed to get to that one yet, but it is the best preserved of the lot, apparently.
Went there today, at my missus' suggestion. A deep ditch, surrounded by high banks, with a ground-level circle in the middle. All covered in mature woodland, with bluebells, ramsons, dog's mercury and orchids.

I can always recommend Filey for a nice doggy day out.
The only Fortean thing I can find is the legend of the Carr Naze dragon - an explanation for a geological feature.
There's hints about some hauntings but I've not been here long enough to be included in the legendary.
We've got links to the Brontës, a murderous Victorian doctor called Pritchard, and Billy Buntin though. :)

Rievaulx Terrace and "temples" (Follies) are dog friendly, National Trust and I think re opened after a closure in 2021 for maintenance. Great views down onto the Abbey.
https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/vi...rrace/visiting-rievaulx-terrace-with-your-dog

There's also the Sutton Bank walk to the Kilburn white horse chalk carving although the view of the horse close up is nothing special the views from the bank are good.
https://highoaksgrange.co.uk/blog/108-walking-routes-kilburn-white-horse

Nothing really Fortean though.

Back