• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Whereas I appreciated the amount of detail required to pay tribute to the victims. It seemed, by the final episode, that the incompetence of the investigation was derided by the official investigation into the investigation, so the series was purely echoing the official line.

That one of the chief officers got £40,000 for publishing his prurient memoirs tells you all you need to know about the mindset of the men at the top. One of them appeared to believe he was in a movie, Sherlock Holmes against his Moriarty.

I haven't got to it yet - how much detail does it go into about the tapes with the geordieish accent?

I haven't got to it yet - how much detail does it go into about the tapes with the geordieish accent?

That's mostly part 2, and quite a bit. For all the talk of a needle in a haystack, a fiver that Sutcliffe had passed to a victim had been traced to his place of work and he was interviewed by police, but the evidence was ignored because the men at the top were obsessed that the hoaxer was the real Ripper. It was a farce, only not a funny one.

That's mostly part 2, and quite a bit. For all the talk of a needle in a haystack, a fiver that Sutcliffe had passed to a victim had been traced to his place of work and he was interviewed by police, but the evidence was ignored because the men at the top were obsessed that the hoaxer was the real Ripper. It was a farce, only not a funny one.

Indeed. The concentration on the letters & tapes was pure vanity on Oldfield's part.

Back