• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your Bath / Shower is a Wonderland of Germs

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
The scientist explanation of how he discovered things is superb - in the film version he will be played by Keanu:

American Association for the Advancement of Science,
Seattle, February, 2004

Biohazard lurks in bathrooms

Shower curtains awash with potentially harmful bacteria.
16 February 2004

PETER ALDHOUS

© Image Source

If you don't scrub your shower curtain, you're asking for trouble. These plastic sheets are flooded with bacteria that can cause nasty infections says Norman Pace, a microbiologist at the University of Colorado, Boulder.

Pace has long been interested in the microbial communities that live all around us, and one day decided to examine the soapy film that covered his shower curtain. "I scraped a little bit of soap scum, put it under the microscope and went: 'Wooah!'" he says. The sample teemed with bacterial life.

To find out whether the bugs were harmless or not, Pace enlisted an undergraduate student, Ulrike Theissen. She collected scum from five shower curtains: Pace's own, three more from colleagues at Boulder, and one from Berkeley, California.

The bugs' DNA showed that around 80% belonged to one of two groups: the sphingomonads and the methylobacteria. Both contain species that are opportunistic pathogens, able to infect wounds or sicken people whose immune systems are suppressed. These include the elderly, or those taking drugs to combat the rejection of transplanted organs.

Each time you take a shower you are engulfed by an aerosol of bacteria, Pace told the American Association for the Advancement of Science meeting in Seattle. In most cases, that will not be dangerous. But if you have an unprotected cut, or your immune system is suppressed, it could be a different story.

The bacteria probably feed on volatile organic chemicals shed from human bodies, says Pace, rather than on soap. "When you cough, belch or fart, you're putting a lot of organic chemistry in there," he says. Chemicals called plasticizers, which make shower curtains more flexible, could also feed bacteria, he suggests.

When you cough, belch or fart, you're putting a lot of organic chemistry in there
Norman Pace
University of Colorado

Pace's findings have caused a change in his personal habits: "I take showers, but since the study, I wash my shower curtain every few weeks."

Shower curtains may not be the biggest hazard we encounter while bathing. Other studies have found that the air just above water level in a typical Jacuzzi, or hot tub, is packed with bacteria that can cause lung infections.

"I would not get into a public hot tub. I would not get into a private hot tub, frankly," says Pace.

http://www.nature.com/nsu/040216/040216-2.html

Scientist takes aim at microbial scum

Our bodies do battle with armies of everyday germs

By Paul Recer
Science Writer
The Associated Press
Updated: 05:38 PM PT Feb. 15, 2004

SEATTLE - That soap scum that forms on the shower curtain? It’s really a biofilm loaded with more than a billion bacteria per cubic inch.

The moving belt on an escalator? When you put your hand there, you’re dipping into a puddle of bacteria left by all those who went before.

How about the potting soil for your petunias? It’s the happy home of a pathogen called Microbial Avian Complex, a potentially troublesome bug.

Then there’s the sponge you use to rinse dishes at the sink. Yep, loaded with thriving bacteria.

If this makes you want to go relax in a hot tub, think again. The air wafting from the hot water is probably loaded with microbes, some of them able to give you a hacking cough.

Living in the microbial world

It’s a microbial world, says Norman P. Pace, a researcher at the University of Colorado at Boulder. Virtually everything you touch is coated with the little critters. You couldn’t escape them if you wanted to because your skin is covered with about 100 million bacteria, says Pace.

Yet, science knows very little about environmental microbes, how they live, reproduce and thrive in the natural world. Most of what is known comes from germs cultured and studied in the lab.

“We live in a microbial world and I find it appalling that this is ignored by science,” Pace said Saturday at the national meeting of the American Association for the Advancement of Science.

He discovered the colonies of soap scum bacteria when, out of curiosity, he took a sample from his own shower curtain and examined it under a microscope.

“I was amazed,” he said. Later studies of shower curtains from other homes found the same thing.

“When you step into a shower, you are enmeshed in a bio-aerosol,” he said.

Everyday health risks

Most of the soap scum bacteria is harmless to the healthy. But for people with compromised immune systems, such as patients with AIDS or on chemotherapy or with open wounds, some of the germs can be deadly.

Pace recommends that shower curtains be cleaned weekly.

When he rides an escalator, Pace said he puts down only his knuckles because of the potential broth of bacteria that may be present.

The kitchen sink sponge, he said, “is a spectacular source of bacteria.”

In his own home, he regularly wrings out the sponge and lets it dry, breaking up the wet, warm bacteria paradise.

Pace explored the microbial world of hot tubs after he was asked to investigate why some on the staff at a therapeutic swimming pool were developing “lifeguard lung,” a nagging cough that plagues pool workers.

Studying 'lifeguard lung'

He found that the air above a heated, indoor pool or above a hot tub is enriched with microbe by about 60 percent. Persistent exposure to the air caused the “lifeguard lung” in sensitive people. The same thing can happen around a hot tub.

“These findings are a bit scary. The bottom line is people should be aware of the risk of swimming in indoor pools or sitting in indoor hot tubs,” Pace said.

One hot tub and pool solution, he said, is to increase ventilation so the cloud of microbes is swept away. “Lifeguard lung” generally clears when the exposure is stopped.

But, Pace said, “I wouldn’t get into a public hot tub, or even a private one for that matter.”

No need for extremes

Despite the scary image of bacteria everywhere, Pace said it’s not reasonable to go into a “Howard Hughes mode.” The late billionaire isolated himself and sterilized most things out of fear of germs.

Among microbes there are good guys and bad guys. Many bacteria are beneficial, helping to keep the harmful ones in check. Antibiotics can kill both the useful germs and the bad ones. That gives an advantage to bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, some of which can be harmful.

Instead, Pace practices prudence.

People should wash their hands frequently, clean off soap scum often, dry out the kitchen sponge and avoid excessive exposure to indoor pools and hot tubs, he said.

Pace said there also needs to be more research about the life and times of microbes in the natural world so science can determine where there is a risk to human health and then develop solutions.

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/4274188/

This is why I periodically take down my shower curtain and bleach it.

"...but luckily you can now buy KurtainKleen and if you call within the next ten minutes we'll send you this high quality scrubbing brush AND an extra 20oz tub of KurtainKleen ABSOLUTELY FREE..."
:rolleyes:

I am pleased to announce after 4 years of belching and farting in the shower I am still not dead.

Marketing.... creating need.

Nothing beats a $1 bottle of bleach for your germ worries.

And it's by being exposed to moderate levels of these bacteria on a day-to-day-basis, instead of just running into huge amounts of them occasionally, that we develop immunities to them. Unless there'a a reason why one's immune system is depressed, most of us are in no meaningful danger from our shower curtains.

Also, some other studies have shown that too sanitary an environment leads to an increase in allergic reactions as the immune system looks for something to do.

Nonny

agreed nonny - except that our shower curtain sometimes pings off the rail if you get a wee bit too enthusiastic with it and you end up wrapped in acres of clammy plastic....

Kath

Originally posted by Dark Detective
[B
I am pleased to announce after 4 years of belching and farting in the shower I am still not dead.

Marketing.... creating need.

So......help me out here, DD. Until 4 years ago you'd leave the shower to break wind, then return?

And it's by being exposed to moderate levels of these bacteria on a day-to-day-basis, instead of just running into huge amounts of them occasionally, that we develop immunities to them.
Exactly. Over - sanitation is weird and dangerous. And food should smell.

Still - one of these days someone will probably write a best selling health book encouraging us all to eat dirt (or worse).

Conners_76 said:
So......help me out here, DD. Until 4 years ago you'd leave the shower to break wind, then return?
:laughing: How ridiculous. No, it is the length of time my current shower curtain has been in place.... uncleaned :eek:

I think I'll stick to baths.

My bath is filthy though too. The ex-flatmate used to complain about me not washing it out after I died my hair 'cos there was always a pillar box red tidemark around it, sort of like The Cat In The Hat I suppose...

BlackRiverFalls said:
The ex-flatmate used to complain about me not washing it out after I died my hair ...

Well, technically speaking, your hair is already dead.

:D :D

Hmmmm. As a Microbiology PhD student, none of this comes as any surprise to me. But then I tend to have a laissez-faire approach to bacteria, having studied Salmonella in depth and working in a lab where we have MRSA, Pseudomonas and E.coli lurking in various fridges and freezers.

Without bacteria, the world wouldn't run nearly as smoothly.

And you have to admire the little fellas - they're so much cleverer than anyone gives them credit for. They communicate; they congregate; if there's an environmental niche for the taking, then they take it. Hence my confidence that there is life out there somewhere, but it's microscopic, no doubt. Captain Kirk would be very hard pushed to snog it......

Of course most bacteria is environmental. The conservative estimate is that we can't culture over 90% of what's out there. Yes, you can take precautions to make sure the really nasty pathogenic stuff doesn't get a grip on you, but even they're not foolproof - some food pathogens have been shown to survive on dry surfaces which have been treated with anti-microbials (by crikey, they know how to survive!) And the person above who pointed out that our exposure to micro-organisms ensures a healthy functional immune system is quite right. You've gotta eat a peck o' dirt before you die, an' thazza fac'!

OK, having bored you witless, I'm getting off my high horse and going to culture some vet samples!!!!

Is it true that salmonella can live inside your toilet bowl for upto 5 weeks?

Possibly. But I still think it's more convenient to keep it in the fridge.

Kath :)

:cross eye

I've been told to name my next child Ella if it's a girl (and if I ever have another one). Then I would have Sam 'n' Ella! :p

I dont have a shower, only a bath...but I keep loads of fastinating bacteria in my fridge.

While it is so hard to keep anything clean in this rotten world (ask Howard Hughes via seance about personal hygene) basic hygene, especially with food, is so damn easy. Simple things like "if the food looks gangrenous then take it out and throw away" doesn't require a University education. It isn't being overparanoid not to use the same cutting surface for meat and vegetables ... try marking one side of the cutting board with an "M" for meat. Then all you have to worry about is cross contamination between raw and cooked meat.
All it takes is a bit of memory to think of putting raw meat (if you eat it) on the lowest shelf of your refrigerator, cooked meat next up, dairy produce above that.
Basic, simple and sensible hygene isn't hard to do and cuts out the little (tummy) upsets in life ... including cleaning off scummy bits in bathrooms before they get together, form a military junta and use your toilet brush to stage a coup.

That being said, I've a strong (but not paranoid) feeling that the present generation with it's monthly food scares, increase in allergies and "adverse reactions" and general pickiness over food is considerably weaker than my own. While simple hygene makes for good living, there seems to be a current trend for everything to be so sterile that perhaps babies, toddlers and children aren't being exposed to minor infections that, in the past, the immune system could easily replicate and repulse. The increase in asthma and other breathing difficulties can't be all blamed on rising pollution ... why not heightened sensitivity due to over-protective parents?

Finally - and more to the point - shower curtains. If they look dirty, wash `em. If they've gone green, buy new ones ... they're not exactly too expensive, are they?

Certainly there is a growing body of evidence from many different countries that over cleanliness does lead to allergies and other immune system disorders.

Back