• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Your Personal Fortean Book Collection: How Big? What's In It?

How many Fortean books to you own?

• 0-20

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • 21-50

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 51-100

• 101-250

• 251-500

• Over 500

Votes: 1 50.0%

• Total voters
A

Anonymous

OK, you're a Fortean, which means you probably have a stack of books, not to mention other Fortean collectables of one kind or another.

But just how many books (and covering what areas of Forteana) do you own?

At last count (on database), my own collection (totally unintentional when it began c. 1975) stood at about 400.

A whole range. But key interest areas:

Ghosts/Parapsychology
Cryptozoology (Lake Creatures & man beasts)
Ancient/Earth Mysteries

Probably not that many consciously Fortean books in the
Piffle Collection

Oh, all right, I admit to some dodgy part-works bought in
dribs and drabs from Oxfam at 10p a shot. A few cheap
but engrossing paperbacks called Piffle for Suckers. The
collected works of Charlie Fort - mainly cybertext but printed out
to save my eyesight. Quite a few of those ultra-cheap reprints
of crusty old books on witches and freaks from a firm called Senate.

Readers Digest tomes that everyone must have etc etc . . .

I should put in a word for a little paperback that probably started
me off as a kiddie. It was a Grey Arrow paperback called Unsolved
Mysteries, mainly nicked, it turned out from the works of Rupert T.
Gould.

But my point is that most books turn out to have Fortean things
in them somewhere. The footnotes to the Romantic poets are a
treasure trove of arcane lore. Probably Thomas Moore's footnotes
are more entertaining than the poems.

Annotated novels can be invaluable. Many a time I have found myself
turning in a crisis to Harold Beaver's Moby Dick. :rolleyes:

Music is also a good source of weird and offbeat material as operas
and songs were often based on mysterious beliefs and traditions.

Art History and religion are other sections of the library that contribute
to the Fortean cauldren.

Incidentally anybody online now has access to a huge body of mouldy
Victoriana which library folks have been madly scanning in, mainly I suspect
because it is out of copyright. I have a soft spot for the American Heritage
collections at the Library of Congress which has thousands of old songs etc.
stored as scans and yours for the asking.

Yup the Information Superhighway turns out to be a network of
backstreet bookshops, their barrows piled high with crumbly yellowing
tomes. Oh Joy!

So much piffle and suddenly so little time . . . :(

Most books have at least one Fortean nugget lurking somewhere... Best book on my shelf at the moment is a rather old encyclopaedia...

It's in a poor state, but I *believe* it to be a revised edition of Oliver Goldsmith's History Of The Earth And Animated Nature, volume 1. The series was republished many times throughout the Victorian era.

It harks back to the days of seven planets in the Solar System, When Uranus was still referred to as the Georgium Sidus and features many a nugget about races of giants believed to live in america, evil monarchs arranging dwarf weddings, and how many people suggesting what is now considered the truth were insane. The map in the frontispiece lacks australia, but I know for a fact that it's a revised edition of an earlier volume published after it's discovery (and initial settlement by European convicts) due to some of the dated footnotes.

It also features the notorious dissection of the Human as a species of animal, complete with opinions on the evolution of different races.

i didnt realise how many i had ive got , most of mine are on ghosts and ufo's and general paranormal,

cas

Yup! I'm the same, loads of the damned books, mainly on ABC's & esterical subjects, but don't they make great insulation to keep out the winter cold?

Over the last 30 years I've accumulated quite literally hundreds of books,but I'd say probably in excess of 200 are fortean literature of some sort,mostly UFO's,Cryptozoology,and general forteana.

I have books on just about every subject under the sun, from the German occupation of the channel islands via norman rockwell, ending up with my collection of forteana (over 200 at last estimate).

The first book of that nature I can remember was a copy of The Ingoldsby Legends (by Baring Gould?) which my mum must have acquired from somewhere - perhaps my grandad, who was also a great collector of diverse knowledge (he bought a german dictionary when the war started - just in case).

And then there was that Pan Book of Horror Stories series which I read avidly in my early teens . . .

Carole

I just counted my books and it is very difficult to decide what is fortean and what is not. Got a lot of 'fringe' type books on psychology, philosophy, science and religion as well as The Book of the Damned, a few New Agey type things.

Does Douglas Adams count as Fortean? He was certainly an eclectic author.

Unlikely;)

Oh yes, Carole, the Pan books of horror stories were full
of weird stuff from all kinds of sources. I remember one that
had the Execution of Damiens - pulled apart by four horses -
as well as that grisly Kafka tale about the man who is
punished by having his name and crime engraved on his
body by a harrow!

I have a feeling it was confiscated in school, mainly on account
of the rotting skull on the cover. It was literature, dammit!
Sort of. Well I suppose I should have been teaching Gerard
Manley Hopkins at the time. :(

The Pan series ran to umpteen volumes in the sixties and
seventies? If memory serves, they were said to be edited by
one "Herbert van Thal" - a publisher's invention? I have the
feeling they got worse as they went on. I don't have any in
the Piffle Pile at the moment but I'm sure Oxfam will eventually
provide . . .

The Ingoldsby Legends were written (some say collected) by
Richard Harris Barham, 1788 - 1845, a minor canon of St. Pauls.
(Sabine Baring Gould was also a vastly prolific collector of legends,
including the Hound of the Baskervilles which his chum Conan Doyle
took up). :monster:

No James!!!!

Herbert Van Thal (1904-1983).

He was Britain's longest serving horror editor, active writer, (not that I've ever found anything writen by him), biographer, publisher & literary agent.

Yup! I know, almost to good to be true, but he seemed to start with reprints just after the war & continued on until his death!!!

. . . or maybe he continued after his death (demonic cackles . . .)

:devil:

Carole

James, the Pan Horror series did degenerate. The first few volumes had some really good storie by the likes of Robert Bloch. I bought one of the later editions and it was very poor.

Pan also did a series of ghost stories too, if I remember rightly.

Carole

James Whitehead said:
(Sabine Baring Gould was also a vastly prolific collector of legends, including the Hound of the Baskervilles which his chum Conan Doyle took up). :monster:
A good prog on Westcountry TV on Sunday about the sorces ACD used in creating the Hound of the Baskervilles.

It's often said that the name of B. was taken from the coach driver who took ACD around the moors, but apparently there actually was a real B. family at Clyro Court (up on the Welsh border), complete with Hound legend.

There was a similar Hound legend associated with a character called Black Vaughan, who lived just a few miles north of Clyro. Apparently ACD's first wife had property in this area, and he is believed to have visited on business in the 1890s, so he'd have known the B. name before he ever went to Dartmoor. (The only reason I remember all this detail is that I taped the prog, as it clashed with Scrapheap Challenge!)

But I don't think they mentioned SBG...

I've recently had to install floor to ceiling shelving to accommodate my ever-growing library. Not all of it's explicit forteana, but of those which are I treasure two copies of Cavendish's "The Black Arts" - both given me in my teens by two different people who were too scared to hold onto the book themselves!
I long to add the works of Jacques Valee to my library, and, I live in hope...

OK, who's the bookworm with more than 500 Fortean tomes??

Carole

After many years,I'm glad to say I've finally acquired all of Vallee's works.

Since voting on the poll I have bought 6 (I think) books which now means that my vote is wrong.

luce

You lucky man Major Kraut! I could probably buy them on-line, but that would kill the chance of ever experiencing the utter joy of stumbling across them for 50p in a dusty old secondhand bookshop!

That is much more exciting than buying online.One time I ran into two first edition John Keel books in two different shops in the same day.

Bugger! I've only got one book by Vallee (Revelations)... but it did only cost me 75p, so it's not so bad! Other recent bargains were Michell and Rickard's 'Phenomena' (hardback) for £1 and Alfred Watkin's 'The Ley Hunter's Manual' for 75p! And let's not forget my five binders of The Unexplained (does no-one else rate this partwork's retro-funkiness?) for £1 each...

What are some of the books in your 'Fortean Library'?

Some of the books I recently acquired are Invisible Horizons by Vincent Gaddis; The World's Strangest Mysteries, by Rupert Furneaux; Unexplained Facts: Enigmas and Curiosities by Gould.

I also have all of his Lost Cities series by David Hatcher Childress; various books by Colin Wilson; works by Loren Coleman; Strange Stories of Alaska and the Yukon, by Ed Ferrell.

All right; that's a start. Now, how about some of you folks?

Many of my books are in storage right now, so I can't take a look, but these I know for sure-

Our Haunted Planet and The Mothman Prophecies, both by John Keel
Stranger Than Science and Strangest Of All, both by Frank Edwards
The full set of Mysteries Of The Unknown (33 volumes)
A partial set of The Enchanted World (10 volumes out of 21)
Encyclopedia Of The Strange, Mystical And Unexplained and The Encyclopedia Of Dreams, Symbols And Interpretations by Rosemary Ellen Guiley.
Sex And The Paranormal, by Paul Chambers
I Never Believed In Ghosts Until... which is a collection of personal stories from readers of USA weekend
Phone Calls From The Dead, by D. Scott Rogo and Raymond Bayless
The Dictionary Of The Occult by Andre Nataf
The Encyclopedia Of Superstitions, edited by Christina Hole.
The Complete Guide To The Tarot by Eden Grey

And of course, innumerable books on ghosts, legends, witchcraft, alchemy, omens, divination, astrology, amulets and talismans, runes, religion, mysticism, philosophy, psychology, etc. as well as a juicy collection of old Fate magazines and Fortean Times. :)

Cripes, it would be easier to list the Fortean books I don't have! Fort's books, of course, plus 3 Fortean Studies and a couple hundred issues of FT; almost every book by John Keel, William R. Corliss, Loren Coleman, Jerome Clark, Ivan Sanderson, D. Scott Rogo; "enough" by Brad Steiger, Nick Redfern, Troy Taylor, Janet and Colin Bord . . .

Twenty years ago I would have said that I had explored the unexplained/fortean field out to the limits, but some of my favorites did not yet exist then. Specific titles from the last couple of decades, then: Times Storms by Jenny Randles (love the general concept); Hunting the American Werewolf by Linda Godfrey (introduced me to the Dogman/Man-Wolf phenomenon); Mysterious Kentucky by Brian Nunnelly (weird stuff in that state); Silent Invasion by Stan Gordon (weirder stuff in an even weirder state); the Missing 411 series by David Paulides (all these missing people were news to me -- and "mysterious disappearances" is one of my favorite subjects); and even something about flying critters by someone named Gerhard . . .

Many of the books above I've read multiple times. But I bought Edward Condon's Report on Unidentified Flying
Objects
as a kid in 1968 and it's still lying there like a lump. Go and figure.

I also don't have all my books on-hand, but I can try to summarize...

I have everything by Linda Godfrey (I've met her in person and she's awesome).

Mysterious America (Coleman, met him too and he's also very down-to-earth and awesome)

Passing Strange and Green Mountain Ghosts, Ghouls, & Unsolved Mysteries (Citro, excellent writer)

Invisible Residents, Things & More Things (reprint), and Uninvited Visitors (Sanderson et al.)

Everything by Dennis Boyer (Northern Frights is the only one that comes to mind ATM)

A Geo-Bibliography of Anomalies by George Eberhart (It was going for $250 at one point but I got it for $60)

Ghosts of the Air and Natural or Supernatural by Martin Caidin (Amazing books!)

Into the Bermuda Triangle: Pursuing the Truth Behind the World's Greatest Mystery by Quasar

Invisible Horizons (Gaddis, as Gerhard1 pointed out)

Strange World by Frank Edwards (My go-to from when I was a little kid and just getting into this stuff)

Encyclopedia of the Strange by Cohen

The Vengeful Djinn by Rosemary Ellen Guiley

Invizikids: The Curious Enigma of Imaginary Childhood Friends by Hallowell

The Inhumanoids by Nunnelly and Redfern (really good stuff in about half the book)

Three Men Seeking Monsters and Memoirs of a Monster Hunter by Redfern (I've read good and bad books by him and these two are very enjoyable and well-written.)

Hunt for the Skinwalker by Kelleher and Knapp

And there are a bunch more which I'm too lazy to type up at the moment. These are ones that really stick with me though.

I've included all those links because there are similar titles by different authors and some just plain don't come up with a standard search on Amazon.

I'll be moving in a few months and I think it would be cool to just post hi-res pictures of our "Fortean" bookshelves...when I get re-situated again.

Patrick Harpur - Daimonic Reality

Colin Wilson - Mysteries

Paul Devereux - Haunted Land

Michael Talbot - The Holographic Universe

Timothy Good - Alien Base

Jacques Vallee - Dimensions

Various - The Mammoth Encyclopedia of Alien Encounters

Peter Brookesmith - UFO Sightings Catalogue

Alan Baker - Encyclopedia of Alien Encounters

Hilary Evans - From Other Worlds

Joshua Strickland - Extraterrestrials on Earth

Various - The Humanoids

Russel Hope Robbins - Encyclopedia of Witchcraft and Demonology

Nigel Cawthorn - Witches, a story of persecution

Eduoard Brasey - An Encyclopedia of Fairies

Ornella Volta - The Vampire

J.Finley Hurley - Sorcery

Sabine Baring Gould - The Book of Werewolves

Alexandra David Neel - Magic and Mystery in Tibet

Various - Encyclopedia of Ghosts and Spirits

Terence Mckenna - Food of the Gods

Nathan Constantine - A History of Cannibalism

John Symonds - In the Astral Light.

Also a couple of compilations from The Unexplained partwork and various Taoist, Buddhist and Stoic texts.

May I renew the books I have borrowed from Reserve without coming to the Library ... Can I access your electronic collections in the Library by registering

May I renew the books I have borrowed from Reserve without coming to the Library ... Can I access your electronic collections in the Library by registering

Whaaat! I just came back from work, (Saturday duties) and thinks : Let's read the Fortean times Forum with all of the mind boggling weird stories, nothing to do with readers, library, lending books etc... I had it for 6 days this week, fancy something different.
And then I click on that link.

Last edited:
Hello again,
Can I add UFO Crash Landing? By Jenny Randles. I'm reading that book. I don't like woo-woo UFO stuff with Venusians, contactees and what have you. That lady is very level headed and have a healthy degree of scepticism. I read with interest her column in the Fortean Times magazine each month and I'm really baffled by the version she gives of the Rendlesham Forest case in 1980.

I also have Lost Lands and Forgotten Realms by Bob Curran, and The Goblin World by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman, UFO's by Rupert Matthews, Lost Cities of the Ancients by Warren Smith and Strange and Mysterious Anomalies by Ian Ross Vayro.

Smith's work is about mysteries of South America and Vayro concentrates on happenings Down Under. Vayro takes some positions that I don't agree with on certain well-known conspiracies, but some of what he says does make me wonder.

There is also The Mysterious Valley by Christopher O'Brien, which looks at 'happenings' in the San Luis Valley in southern Colorado. There are a few more, and as I find them, I'll list them.

I do own several Christopher O'Brien books and, while the subject matter is interesting, they were edited so horribly that I don't think I've read any of them more than once including The Mysterious Valley.

When I say bad editing, I'm not just talking about a misspelled word. There were duplicated paragraphs and in at least one instance there was a whole page left out with the text from a few pages back in its place. It's a shame, too; they really did seem like potentially good books.

Perhaps I'm being too critical and I should give them another shot.

Back