• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Zener Cards

Spudrick68

Justified & Ancient
Hello, I wonder if some kind person could point me in the right direction? I am in the process of setting up my own internet shop and have often wanted to buy some Zener cards. I have thought about having my own produced in the future, but do not know if the name and card designs themselves are protected by copyright. If anyone has any infon on this or knows where I could find out your assistance would be gratefully appreciated. Thank you in advance. :D

Last set I owned was a freebie from The Unexplained part-work.
Not a lot of help, I know, but there it is ...

If I recall correctly, the images were "Wavy Lines", "Square", "Circle", "Cross" and "Triangle", each in a different colour.

Funnily enough I remember them, I bought the entire series of the original series, all in their covers for only £10 off E-bay about four months ago. Its a great resource to start looknig at a subject as to where to look further.

Has anyone ever been tested with Zener cards and had a good result.
I remember as a kid they were all the rage, and they popped up in recent FT for the first time in ages.
I doubt I would have any great success with the cards but would be interested to hear others experience.

As demonstrated by Venkman in Ghostbusters. :chuckle:

Is it just me or does that scene seem now kind of creepy looked at through a different prism?
I was just thinking that... :(
Yup, I found it disturbing back then too. Venkman was performing an unethical version of the Milgram Experiment that his institution would not have authorised.
He was making random encouraging comments rather than using set statements (which Milgram called 'prods') and did not record results.
Venkman also fiddled the cards to flatter the female student, which is another entire world of unethical immorality.
Finally, he was of course actually shocking the male student. Even Milgram baulked at that. :chuckle:

All in the name of comedy of course, and sending up psychology, but it put Venkman in a bad light. He'd set up a bogus experiment to satisfy his sex drive. Totally creepy.

I remember as a kid they were all the rage, and they popped up in recent FT for the first time in ages.
I doubt I would have any great success with the cards but would be interested to hear others experience.
I got the set from unexplained magazine. Me and my brother were mucking around with them, me concentrating on a card my brother trying to read my thoughts. It was hit and miss until, concentrating on a card, I 'saw' it as a shape in the air. A black square. Instantly my brother said "Black square". He said he seemed to see the image for a brief moment . We couldn't repeat it, but now, nearly Forty years later, I still think it was strange.

ESP cards of many varieties are available from suppliers of stage magic and mentalism props. Many with hidden features, lol :)

Try penguinmagic.com

When I was 12 (in the dark ages) I set up an experiment with 3 of my cousins because I had an idea that the younger children would do better than the older children. But we didn't have zenner cards so we used a deck of regular playing cards. My 6 year old cousin got 90% of the tests correct, I got 65%, the 8 year old got 40% and the 9 year old got 0 correct. I only did the test one afternoon so I don't consider the data useful in the long run. Just something I was thinking about at the time.

Back