• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Zombie & Post Apocalyptic Fiction

TheMany

Junior Acolyte
Hi Peeps,

Does anyone have any recommendations for good Zombie fiction or some top notch Post Apocalyptic Fiction?

I need some new reading material, but I get the worrying feeling I had read all the good stuff - so I am hoping for some suggestions that I have not heard of.

Thanks in advance.

I'm currently reading book 2 of "The Dire Earth Cycle". Not too shabby.

Earth Abides by George R. Stewart is the granddaddy of modern apocalyptic fiction, a fantastic novel and very moving. If you want to see where flesh-eating zombies came from, read George A. Romero's inspiration, the late Richard Matheson's classic horror I Am Legend (forget the neutered recent movie version).

I loved The Passage and I'm currently reading the sequel, The Twelve.

gncxx said:
Earth Abides by George R. Stewart is the granddaddy of modern apocalyptic fiction, a fantastic novel and very moving.

I used to have a paperback of that years ago - collector's item now.

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Not heard of the Change series, will add that to my list.

I am well acquainted with Earth Abides and and I Am Legend. They are both part of the SCiFi Masterworks series, and I agreed they are great reads.

I presume The Passage is the Justin Cronin book? If so I have this sat on my Ebook reader for reading next. I am looking forward to it even more now!

Most suggestions please nice peeps!

OneWingedBird said:

Ok, might give it a go. I just re-read the synopsis on wiki and it just does not grab me. I will keep in reserve for when all the other books run out :D

For a zombie book I'd recommend Warm Bodies by Isaac Marion.

Do not be fooled by the movie adaptation, it isn't a zombie version of Twilight. It's bittersweet and very good. Also does not feature a teenager in a hoodie as the main character.

TheMany said:
I presume The Passage is the Justin Cronin book? If so I have this sat on my Ebook reader for reading next. I am looking forward to it even more now!

Thats the bunny. The sequel is cheap at the moment too.

Whatever you think about him personally, Harlan Ellison's book (novella, really) A Boy and His Dog is worth a read. Interesting film too.

Mythopoeika said:
I stumbled across this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Serpen ... nbow_(book)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Serpen ... nbow_(film)

Apparently, it's a real-life account of zombies in Haiti. It was made into a film.

I haven't read it or seen the film, so can't make a recommendation, sorry.

Have seen the film and read the book, the book is better. Wade Davies went looking for the chemical composition of Zombie powder to use in medical applications and the book is a gonzo journalism account of that search.

How true it is, is debateable but it is a very interesting read none the less.

The film, well the film takes the original premise and plays around with it in a very Hollywood way. Not bad but don't break your neck to see it.

dreeness said:
Gwenar said:
dreeness said:
"World War Z" was odious crap.

The book or the movie?

The both!

:roll:

Zombies will eat your brains for that!

I recently saw a couple of ok Zombie fils, watchable but not award winners.

Dead Genesis

Seven months have passed since the dead took over. Many cities and states have been abandoned and left to die. Several self sufficient hunting groups have been established to take on the threat in a war aptly referred to as the 'War on Dead'. Jillian Hurst, a former news writer and amateur documentarian, has set out to make a pro-war propaganda film to support the W.O.D. She joins up with a pack of renegade hunters known infamously to North America as 'the deadheads'. The moral dynamics and hardships of fighting in a war against the undead are told from several different perspectives
http://www.vidics.ch/Film/Dead_Genesis

ZOMBEX tells the story of a post-Katrina New Orleans as it deals with a new disaster, a zombie apocalypse. NOLA residents are no longer experiencing the depression and post-traumatic stress due to the trauma of the hurricane, thanks to the revolutionary ZOMBEX - a rogue, yet, "clinically-proven" anti-depressant pharmaceutical manufactured by a nefarious organization. For those who call the Big Easy their home, everything is just now turning around for them. Or, could it just be the drug, ZOMBEX, talking... Just as things are turning around for the city and its people, they once again must face a disaster of epic proportions. Only this time, they're dealing with the prospect of losing the people of New Orleans as they turn into the city's walking dead.
http://www.vidics.ch/Film/Zombex

liveinabin1 said:
TheMany said:

Thats the bunny. The sequel is cheap at the moment too.

Just ordered both in glorious paper!

The first few books in the "Zombie Fallout" series are quite good. Mostly because of the humor injected by the lead character.

dreeness said:
Gwenar said:
dreeness said:
"World War Z" was odious crap.

The book or the movie?

The both!

:roll:

Hmph. I really liked the book. It was like a collection of short stories spanning the course of the zombie outbreak from beginning to end. Usually, I just like zombies for the thrill, but the book actually made me feel something.

I don't know if you're into audio books, but...

Check out "We're Alive". It's a serialized radio show (podcast, actually). I like it much better than The Walking Dead, although it's a similar premise. There's more action and an overall mystery.

We listen through iTunes on Roku, but you can download shows, or listen, right from the website.

You'll want to start with episode 1 - they're all free to stream or download

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/listen/

Gwenar said:
I don't know if you're into audio books, but...

Check out "We're Alive". It's a serialized radio show (podcast, actually). I like it much better than The Walking Dead, although it's a similar premise. There's more action and an overall mystery.

We listen through iTunes on Roku, but you can download shows, or listen, right from the website.

You'll want to start with episode 1 - they're all free to stream or download

http://www.zombiepodcast.com/listen/

Sweet!

Back