• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

It's your right nostril that's not working.
Wouldn't that be my left nostril not working?

Anyway, I looked it up and it starts by saying it's nothing to worry about as it could just be that I use that arm more, have more hairs under it, or it's just down to age.

Of course, it then finishes by saying it could also be a sign of kidney/live/heart disease........................

Perhaps the muscles in your left hand are weak and you aren't pressing the button hard enough to operate the spray. I had cubital tunnel syndrome where the ulnar nerve becomes trapped as well as carpal tunnel syndrome and lost most of the strength in my left hand. A double operation sorted that.
No, I'm making sure that I'm giving the right pit a damn good blasting.

Wouldn't that be my left nostril not working?

Anyway, I looked it up and it starts by saying it's nothing to worry about as it could just be that I use that arm more, have more hairs under it, or it's just down to age.

Of course, it then finishes by saying it could also be a sign of kidney/live/heart disease........................
Modern medecine seems to make every symptom of anything a potential sign of kidney/liver/heart/ dementia /lung etc problems. Best not to search Google when you're ill which can leave you a gibbering wreck.

Modern medecine seems to make every symptom of anything a potential sign of kidney/liver/heart/ dementia /lung etc problems. Best not to search Google when you're ill which can leave you a gibbering wreck.
Not to mention that these links also usually lead directly to whatever curative drug of the day that the site is pedaling.

I didn't take one of the very generic anti-depressants I was once prescribed, due to the Bible-length list of horrifying possible side-effects.

I listened to that too.
All this was predictable with the cost of living crisis, and the overstretched police service.
Last time we were in York in the evening, we popped in to a small co-op. While we were there, a youth dropped his bike at the store, ran in, grabbed an armful of meat, and ran out, on his bike and away. Of course, the alarm went off. The staff could only shrug and re-set the alarm. They hardly paused in serving the other customers.
It's a difficult situation.
People are desperate - either for food or money. They risk theft. Shops lose out. Deterrents are pointless as there are no consequences. Police can't/won't bother, and stores HQ swallow the costs and close trouble-spots, with people losing their job. Then rinse and repeat.

People are desperate - either for food or money.

Money, for drugs. I genuinely cannot recall one instance in my 23 years out on the beat where I dealt with one thief who stole food for personal consumption.

They risk theft.

They don't "risk" it; it's a lifestyle choice, partly because:

...there are no consequences.

Agree 100%.

...stores HQ swallow the costs...

No: they pass the costs onto us, the consumers.

maximus otter

Because we are fairly rural, we suffer a lot less from this shoplifting problem. However, I got into work the other day to a kerfuffle. A bloke had come in, dragged a small basket around and filled it with booze, then just lifted it up and legged it out of the door. He'd taken bottles of the most expensive alcohol (all of which was capped with those magnetic caps), not just random stuff. He apparently hit a couple of other shops in the area the same day.

These people aren't stealing to feed a family - unless the family has a serious expensive brandy habit. They are stealing because they know the chance of getting caught or even stopped is minimal. It's a quick, easy and low risk way of making yourself a few hundred quid (factoring in the cost of a machine to get the bottle tops off). The bottles aren't identifiable and once they've gone, they've gone. This was obviously an organised and targeted hit, because the man ran to a getaway car parked on a nearby estate (so was out of sight of cameras, not that they would be any use). Later that evening a local police officer was in buying his dinner (on shift, in uniform) and our manager mentioned the theft to him (obviously management had rung the police as soon as it happened) to ask if there had been any further reports of hits on other supermarkets or whether the police had any idea of who it could have been.

He knew nothing about it. Not even in a 'can you just pass by the Kirkby Co Op a couple of times this evening, they've had a chancer in and a bit of police presence might stop them having another go later on.' It was so unimportant as a theft that it hadn't been mentioned among the police. But the shop lost probably around £1000 in that one theft.

Expensive items are stolen to sell cheaper than shop price.
If someone can't afford shop price then they'd buy it, stolen by themselves or not.
As they say ... it's supply and demand.
Sure, they might be selling for drugs but there has to be a purchaser.

I didn't take one of the very generic anti-depressants I was once prescribed, due to the Bible-length list of horrifying possible side-effects.
I did the same with meds prescribed for blood pressure (ok it was 209/something silly). Boy the side effects were horrific even after a few days and totally immobilised me. It is strange that a 2.5mg tablet can have such a massive effect on all systems in the body. Meds changed but still some effects but nowhere near as bad and better than snuffing it from heart attack etc.

How does Tom Cruise look younger, or at least no older, in the first Mission Impossible than he did ten years before in Top Gun?
Between 24-34 years everyone else ages at least a bit.

I did the same with meds prescribed for blood pressure (ok it was 209/something silly). Boy the side effects were horrific even after a few days and totally immobilised me. It is strange that a 2.5mg tablet can have such a massive effect on all systems in the body. Meds changed but still some effects but nowhere near as bad and better than snuffing it from heart attack etc.
That's the conundrum innit, yer quality of life.

Techy's on double-dose Omeprazole for an ulcer. He wants to drop half because it gives him headaches.

I gave him certain vigorous advice on that idea. :dsist:

Jeez the O word. Makes me shudder - sympathies to Mr E. You don't know how much he must be suffering.
He certainly did suffer and ended up in hospital where it was diagnosed.

It's the sort that antibiotics don't help so he can only take the Omeprazole and avoid the  irritants like curry and alcohol.

He's still in pain but it's less severe under the diet/meds regime. Fingers crossed, it'll be sorted by late summer or autumn.

Have you had one then? Any advice would be gratefully received. :)

He certainly did suffer and ended up in hospital where it was diagnosed.

It's the sort that antibiotics don't help so he can only take the Omeprazole and avoid the  irritants like curry and alcohol.

He's still in pain but it's less severe under the diet/meds regime. Fingers crossed, it'll be sorted by late summer or autumn.

Have you had one then? Any advice would be gratefully received. :)
No never had a diagnosed ulcer to my surprise. Have to take the stuff for other reasons (ant acid etc) but boy the side effects are a bit grim so I only take it when absolutely necessary. Supposed to take it every day but just can't. Like Mr E I've had to give up all foodstuffs I loved and gave up alkyhol more than a decade ago.

I have lost my fork.

I have a favourite fork (I admit it!) which lives in the drainer on the side because I eat with it, wash it up and then take it out to eat with again. I had dinner last night (scampi and salad if anyone is interested) and, as usual, I carried the plate out to the kitchen and put it down for the dog to eat the scraps before washing it up. Usually I put the fork straight into the washing up bowl when I do this. But it's not there. Neither is it anywhere in the living room where I ate dinner (although I did find a mystery teaspoon when I looked for it) or anywhere else! I don't remember it being on the plate when I carried it out, but it's one of those things you do automatically, fork into sink, plate down for dog, so I wouldn't necessarily remember it being there. I should remember it not being there though.

But I can't find it. And it's my favourite! How am I supposed to enjoy my dinner tonight, if I have to eat off my second-favourite fork?

Back