• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
She's not protesting or crying or looking around in case the neighbours are watching: her face says The games's up.
Well I did think that when I first saw it but then that was only after she'd been found guilty so I was predisposed to think that. I'm not totally convinced we can really tell. After all I don't know her at all. Oh not saying she isn't guilty mind just erring on the side of caution.

Kitchen killer.

Rwandan police have arrested a 34-year-old suspected serial killer who is alleged to have murdered more than 10 people and buried them in the kitchen.

Police discovered the crime after the man was evicted from his rented accommodation in Kicukiro, a suburb of the capital, Kigali.
They were called after the suspect had defaulted on rent payments for months. A police officer told local media the victims appeared to have been sex workers. They included men and women.

Murder is relatively uncommon in Rwanda and this case has shocked the country.

An unnamed police official told Rwanda's private newspaper The New Times that the man had put up a fight when officers went to evict him on Monday.

"He apologised and cried excessively, which raised our suspicions. It is at the police station where he confessed to having killed some people, prompting Rib [Rwanda Investigation Bureau] to investigate," the official said.

A number of bodies have been recovered but the exact number would be determined after forensic investigations, said Rib spokesman Thierry Murangira.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66739944

A cereal killer.

A man killed a colleague at an Australian grain silo on Thursday before turning the gun on himself, police said.

The 25-year-old allegedly shot a man in his 40s at the silo in the town of Kellerberrin at about 8.40am local time and then fled the area, the Western Australia Police Force said.

The police force issued an active gunman alert to warn members of the public to remain indoors as a search for the suspect got under way.

The gunman was believed to be armed, dressed in camouflage clothing and on the move north of the town, about 125 miles (200km) east of Perth, the state capital of Western Australia, police said.

https://www.breakingnews.ie/world/m...o-before-shooting-himself-police-1523946.html

It is for some *ahem* people.
(In a Ben Elton voice: "Oh, getting a bit political there! Must mind my manners!")
;)

In my defence your Honour, I tried to be subtle.
However, I will say that terrible deaths/murder are definitely not uncommon in Rwanda.
Possibly in the sense that someone actually confessed to doing it.

I knew Albert Pierrepoint was legally an executioner who killed somewhere in the region of 400 people for the state. I didn't know that his job had been his boyhood ambition or that he was a pub landlord by day ..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...mM?cvid=308561c1a3c1497489aa9d6e7cefb28f&ei=8
Here's a post of mine about him from 2012 -

Today I met a man who, many years ago, dropped in to an old friend's local in Lancashire.

As he sat in the pub quietly supping a pint, his friend said 'See that barman? Go and ask to shake his hand, he'll love it!'
The bloke went to the bar and greeted the barman. The barman seemed pleased to be asked and happily shook his hand.

The pub was the Help the Poor Struggler, and the barman was actually the landlord, the former hangman, Albert Pierrepoint.

I have mentioned Pierrepoint before - my mum's friend's auntie was his cleaner, or something. This bloke was much more interesting though. I shook HIS hand.

Also from 2010 -

Today I learned that my mother used to work with a niece of the famous hangman, Albert Pierrepoint.

So that links us all to, among others, 'Lord Haw-Haw', John George Haigh, Derek Bentley, Timothy John Evans, John Reginald Christie and Ruth Ellis.

I knew Albert Pierrepoint was legally an executioner who killed somewhere in the region of 400 people for the state. I didn't know that his job had been his boyhood ambition or that he was a pub landlord by day ..

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/ukne...mM?cvid=308561c1a3c1497489aa9d6e7cefb28f&ei=8
Interesting story. Though, it seemed to be a job that several family members had, so, that he wanted to do it from boyhood, really didn't surprise me. He would have the background to really understand what the job entailed. It also seems like he treated the job with the gravity and humaneness it required.

I, in no way, agree with capital punishment, but do appreciate that he approached the job respecting that, though someone was to be executed, they did not have to suffer.

Preying on elderly women.

A man charged with killing 18 women in Texas is set to go on trial over one of the deaths.

Billy Chemirmir, 48, faces life in prison without parole if convicted of capital murder over the death of 81-year-old Lu Thi Harris. Prosecutors have decided not to seek the death penalty.

Chemirmir has been accused of killing 18 older women in Dallas and its suburbs over a period of two years.

He was arrested in March 2018 after 91-year-old Mary Annis Bartel survived an attack by a man who forced his way into her apartment at a senior living community in Plano. The man was said to have told her "don't fight me" as he tried to smother her with a pillow, before leaving with jewellery.

When police tracked Chemirmir to his apartment the next day, he was allegedly holding jewellery and cash. A jewellery box police say he had just thrown away led them to a Dallas home, where Ms Harris was found dead in her bedroom.

Following his arrest, the authorities announced they would review hundreds of deaths, signalling the possibility that a serial killer had been stalking older people. Most of the victims were killed at independent living communities for older people, where Chemirmir allegedly forced his way into apartments or posed as a handyman.

https://news.sky.com/story/billy-ch...ing-18-women-in-texas-to-go-on-trial-12469178

Billy Chemirmir killed by his cellmate.

A man accused of killing nearly two dozen elderly women and who was convicted last year in the deaths of two was killed on Tuesday morning by his cellmate at a Texas prison, an official said.

Billy Chemirmir, 50, was found dead in his cell, said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokeswoman Hannah Haney. She said Chemirmir’s cellmate, who is serving a sentence for murder, was identified as the assailant, but said she could not release the cellmate’s identity or how Chemirmir was killed.

Authorities said Chemirmir preyed on older women in the Dallas area over a two-year span, killing them and stealing their valuables.

He was caught after a 91-year-old woman survived an attack in 2018 and told police Chemirmir had forced his way into her apartment at an independent living community for senior citizens, tried to smother her with a pillow and took her jewellery.

Police said they found Chemirmir the following day in the parking lot of his apartment complex holding jewellery and cash, having just thrown away a large red jewellery box. Documents in the jewellery box led them to the home of Lu Thi Harris, 81, who was found dead in her bedroom.

The first capital murder trial of Chemirmir ended in a mistrial in Dallas County. He was later convicted in a second trial for Harris’s death and convicted of a second killing in the death of Mary Brooks, 87.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41229967.html

Billy Chemirmir killed by his cellmate.

A man accused of killing nearly two dozen elderly women and who was convicted last year in the deaths of two was killed on Tuesday morning by his cellmate at a Texas prison, an official said.

Billy Chemirmir, 50, was found dead in his cell, said Texas Department of Criminal Justice spokeswoman Hannah Haney. She said Chemirmir’s cellmate, who is serving a sentence for murder, was identified as the assailant, but said she could not release the cellmate’s identity or how Chemirmir was killed.

Authorities said Chemirmir preyed on older women in the Dallas area over a two-year span, killing them and stealing their valuables.

He was caught after a 91-year-old woman survived an attack in 2018 and told police Chemirmir had forced his way into her apartment at an independent living community for senior citizens, tried to smother her with a pillow and took her jewellery.

Police said they found Chemirmir the following day in the parking lot of his apartment complex holding jewellery and cash, having just thrown away a large red jewellery box. Documents in the jewellery box led them to the home of Lu Thi Harris, 81, who was found dead in her bedroom.

The first capital murder trial of Chemirmir ended in a mistrial in Dallas County. He was later convicted in a second trial for Harris’s death and convicted of a second killing in the death of Mary Brooks, 87.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41229967.html

give-a-fuck-o-meter.gif

maximus otter

While I have no sympathy for this despicable killer ...
Chemirmir, who maintained his innocence, was serving two sentences of life without parole.
This was his sentence after standing trial, and being found guilty.
If you give any respect to the judicial system then not caring that a criminal took it upon themselves to enforce their own sentence is a bit puzzling.
Where is the rule of law? Where is the being found guilty and serving the sentence handed down?
If someone had been sentenced to a lifetime of torture and they managed to kill themselves, would you rejoice that they'd died or feel robbed of vengeance?

While I have no sympathy for this despicable killer ...

This was his sentence after standing trial, and being found guilty.
If you give any respect to the judicial system then not caring that a criminal took it upon themselves to enforce their own sentence is a bit puzzling.
Where is the rule of law? Where is the being found guilty and serving the sentence handed down?
If someone had been sentenced to a lifetime of torture and they managed to kill themselves, would you rejoice that they'd died or feel robbed of vengeance?
Well, I'd think we'd saved a lot of money. My only objection to the death penalty is the risk of getting it wrong.

That's mine too.
I don't subscribe to the "eye for an eye" idea, nor do I think the death of the criminal makes up for the death of the victim. But I can understand the judicial 'removal' of a killer who will always be a risk to those around them. Unrepentant, uncontrollable.
The chance, though, of killing someone innocent of the crime is repugnant.
And as far as death sentences, well ... look at Death Row inmates who've been there for years. Are they innocent or guilty? They've been found guilty and sentenced to death. Is the case so poor that sentence cannot be carried out? Or is it a pretended form of humanity?
If you're going to kill them, kill them. Accept the moral or ethical consequences - get it wrong and accept the public wrath.
"We kill to protect the public and exact revenge. If someone innocent has to die, then so be it. As long as it isn't myself or my son/daughter/father/mother ..."

Last edited:
That's mine too.
I don't subscribe to the "eye for an eye" idea, nor do I think the death of the criminal makes up for the death of the victim. But I can understand the judicial 'removal' of a killer who will always be a risk to those around them. Unrepentant, uncontrollable.
And as far as death sentences, well ... look at Death Row inmates who've been there for years. Are they innocent or guilty? They've been found guilty and sentenced to death. Is the case so poor that sentence cannot be carried out? Or is it a pretended form of humanity?
If you're going to kill them, kill them. Accept the moral or ethical consequences - get it wrong and accept the public wrath.
"We kill to protect the public and exact revenge. If someone innocent has to die, then so be it. As long as it isn't myself or my son/daughter/father/mother ..."
I suppose that it's always possible that they put him in with this particular cell-mate knowing that it probably wouldn't end well for him.

True - but that still remains taking justice into their own hands.
Being dissatisfied with the verdict or sentencing is an explanation, not an excuse.
Texas, isn't it. (A bit like the Northern Territory of Australia...)

We don't know why Chemirmir was killed. It wasn't necessarily revenge.

For one thing he was in a Texas prison with other murderers.
For another, as a killer of elderly women he didn't come across as Mr Tough Guy. Anyone he upset would get the better of him.

He's as likely to have been beaten to death for snoring as for anything else.

Kitchen killer.

Rwandan police have arrested a 34-year-old suspected serial killer who is alleged to have murdered more than 10 people and buried them in the kitchen.

Police discovered the crime after the man was evicted from his rented accommodation in Kicukiro, a suburb of the capital, Kigali.
They were called after the suspect had defaulted on rent payments for months. A police officer told local media the victims appeared to have been sex workers. They included men and women.

Murder is relatively uncommon in Rwanda and this case has shocked the country.

An unnamed police official told Rwanda's private newspaper The New Times that the man had put up a fight when officers went to evict him on Monday.

"He apologised and cried excessively, which raised our suspicions. It is at the police station where he confessed to having killed some people, prompting Rib [Rwanda Investigation Bureau] to investigate," the official said.

A number of bodies have been recovered but the exact number would be determined after forensic investigations, said Rib spokesman Thierry Murangira.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66739944

He;s pleaded guilty.

A Rwandan man has pleaded guilty to multiple charges, including the murder of 12 women and two men, in a high-profile case that shocked the country.

Denis Kazungu, 34, is alleged to have buried his victims in his kitchen. Police discovered the crime earlier this month after he was evicted from his rented accommodation in Kicukiro, a suburb of the capital, Kigali.

In a packed courtroom, after hearing the guilty plea, a woman cried out for her child who she said was a victim.

This hearing was called to determine whether Mr Kazungu should remain in detention. The judge will deliver a decision on 26 September. Mr Kazungu, who did not have legal representation, looked calm and composed at the hearing and when asked to plea, said in a firm voice that he was "guilty". He tried to justify his crimes by alleging that his victims "deliberately infected him with Aids" but not offer any proof of this.

The state of Mr Kazungu's mental health is unclear, but he appeared sound when he requested the court to put proceedings behind closed doors, a request that the court denied.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-66877463

That's mine too.
Replying belatedly. I don't think every murder deserves the death penalty, but there are categories - repeat offenders, murderous paedophiles, terrorists with multiple casualties, killers of policemen or other people there for our security.

I don't believe in eye for an eye. But I do believe some people are so depraved or deranged by their beliefs or indifferent to suffering that they don't deserve to live and in any case will never be safe to release. But there have been too many dodgy convictions that have resulted in what amounts to judicial murder.

Maybe where there is no doubt - this case springs to mind -
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murders_of_Nicola_Hughes_and_Fiona_Bone
it should still be applied. Not that it ever will be, in the UK.

I agree particularly with this sentence of your post:

"If you're going to kill them, kill them. Accept the moral or ethical consequences - get it wrong and accept the public wrath."

Justice delayed is justice denied, maybe even for the inmates of Death Row. If you haven't the intestinal fortitude to carry through with the sentence, don't use it.

I repeat, I'm against the death penalty, but in some cases It's hard to maintain my stance.

We don't know why Chemirmir was killed. It wasn't necessarily revenge.

For one thing he was in a Texas prison with other murderers.
For another, as a killer of elderly women he didn't come across as Mr Tough Guy. Anyone he upset would get the better of him.

He's as likely to have been beaten to death for snoring as for anything else.
True.

I've been watching quite a few murder cases lately and I'm finding it a little bit alarming as to how many young people are being accused of murder with little evidence other than that of 'disturbing' social media posts or notes or pieces of writing they have done. And many many of those 'disturbing' pieces of writing turn out to be song lyrics. Not even particularly obscure lyrics either.

Maybe some murderers do have a fixation with lyrics, but I know plenty of young people who post lyrics or have lyrics tattooed on themselves which, taken in isolation might appear a bit 'dark', but when you know the song...

I've been watching quite a few murder cases lately and I'm finding it a little bit alarming as to how many young people are being accused of murder with little evidence other than that of 'disturbing' social media posts or notes or pieces of writing they have done. And many many of those 'disturbing' pieces of writing turn out to be song lyrics. Not even particularly obscure lyrics either.

Maybe some murderers do have a fixation with lyrics, but I know plenty of young people who post lyrics or have lyrics tattooed on themselves which, taken in isolation might appear a bit 'dark', but when you know the song...

I know someone who has U2 song lyrics tattooed on his arm, wouldn't be surprised if he turns out to be a serial killer.

Back