Coincidences

cycleboy2

Justified & Ancient
It's a common thing, but you know how striking it is if you're writing a word and you hear it at the same time – I've had that three times in the last hour! The words: trigger, target and wheels, so not the most obvious in the first two cases. I'm writing for a bike magazine while listening to the Tour de France so 'wheels' is going to crop up time and time again, but that was the last of the three.

rpkemp

Junior Acolyte
My grandmother was ahead of her time, like many people of the Victorian age (she was born in the 1880s), and had three children all (as far as we know) without benefit of clergy. The father of the first child, a boy (born c. 1910), was a mysterious man who disappeared quickly and forever. The father of the second and third children, a girl and a boy (born in the 1920s), stuck around a bit but was already married with children when he met my grandmother and continued to live with his original family. The legitimate family did not know about my grandmother and her children - and there was certainly never any contact between them, nor (crucially) did the legitimate family of my grandmother's second 'husband' have anything to do with the child of her first 'husband'.

About forty years after the second and third children were born, the son of the first child went to college in the west of England - far away from where either family lived, which was in London and the south-east. While at college he met a woman whom he later married. It took them some years to piece things together, but they eventually realised that the woman's family was the legitimate family of the father of the second and third children mentioned above. Neither had any knowledge of the other's existence before they met, their families weren't in touch or aware of each other, and their choice of the same college, as well as of each other, was either totally random chance or evidence of strange forces at work!

Luckily they're not blood relatives in any way, and are only connected by being cousins to each others' (illegitimate) (half) cousins.

Reading this back it doesn't seem very amazing but you'll have to take my word for it that it actually is.

Ermintruder

Delineated by a professional cryptozoologist
Here is a decidedly-odd sequence of coincidences that I've been involved in, tonight.

I do try to accept that coincidences are meant only to be alignments insofar as they are perceived to be such...but this is a strange tale (and all totally-true).

I'd been working late, as ever, and had abandoned my car in the company car park, setting off on-foot to purchase some motoring consumables (let's say engine oil) from a large nearby shiny stuff store.

On my way back (just a short walking distance, say 0.5mile) I was faced with at least five different routes as I approached close to my work.
  • Around the front of a resturaunt complex, on the main street pavement/sidewalk, or
  • Through the back of the adjacent healthclub, or
  • Along the parklane river path, or
  • Along the inside front of the healthclub, or
  • Through the back of the resturaunt rear carpark
I suddenly decided upon the last option, of walking in the middle of the quiet rear carpark road. After walking a few footsteps, I became aware that a car was right behind me, super-close...it was almost as if I was towing it.

A very-familiar voice called me, and I spun around to find it was my daughter, driving her car close behind my ill-advised wander along the road. We were both amazed to see each-other, as it was quite a while since we'd last met, especially in her town. Each of us were mutually-astounded as to the unlikelyhood of having encountered the other, at that precise moment & place. We promised to properly have a catchup soon, and parted our ways.

Just over an hour later, and I was back in my home town. My mobile phone rung, but I couldn't take the call at that time, as I was meeting with local colleagues, so I checked my missed calls to find that my daughter had been calling me.

I called her back, to find that she was rather upset, as her car had broken-down....probably the clutch cable. She asked if I was in the vicinity, but I explained I was already miles away, at home. Help for her was on the way, she said, and I got her to say exactly where she was stuck. And I was astounded to discover that her clutch cable had snapped (or whatever) about 10feet from where I'd been parked, at my work.

Where my car...with it's towbar. And towrope. And tarpauline. And me.....had coincidently been parked, about 90mins beforehand.

Had the fates tried to put me there, to help her? And I spoilt it, by going away too easly?

Maybe I don't believe in fate.

Perhaps the fact that we'd randomly-met less than a couple of hours ago for the first time in a while, in a location which was impossibly-improbable, that I'd almost played-out an unseen piece of instinctive theatre earlier ('walk-towing' in front of her not-yet-known-to-be-her car...), the fact that I was, unwittingly, completely-prepared to help her out from an incident that was going to happen an hour in the future.....just totally, utterly, spine-chillingly curious.

Nothing quite like this has ever happened to me before (and there were certain other coincidental aspects that are too detailed to go into). But it feels so much more than just mere chance forming a conjunction seen only from the perspective of the perceivor.

I'm not doing the story full justice. It really was extremely odd, when all experienced in person

Last edited:

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
Here is a decidedly-odd sequence of coincidences that I've been involved in, tonight.

I do try to accept that coincidences are meant only to be alignments insofar as they are perceived to be such...but this is a strange tale (and all totally-true).

I'd been working late, as ever, and had abandoned my car in the company car park, setting off on-foot to purchase some motoring consumables (let's say engine oil) from a large nearby shiny stuff store.

On my way back (just a short walking distance, say 0.5mile) I was faced with at least five different routes as I approached close to my work.
  • Around the front of a resturaunt complex, on the main street pavement/sidewalk, or
  • Through the back of the adjacent healthclub, or
  • Along the parklane river path, or
  • Along the inside front of the healthclub, or
  • Through the back of the resturaunt rear carpark
I suddenly decided upon the last option, of walking in the middle of the quiet rear carpark road. After walking a few footsteps, I became aware that a car was right behind me, super-close...it was almost as if I was towing it.

A very-familiar voice called me, and I spun around to find it was my daughter, driving her car close behind my ill-advised wander along the road. We were both amazed to see each-other, as it was quite a while since we'd last met, especially in her town. Each of us were mutually-astounded as to the unlikelyhood of having encountered the other, at that precise moment & place. We promised to properly have a catchup soon, and parted our ways.

Just over an hour later, and I was back in my home town. My mobile phone rung, but I couldn't take the call at that time, as I was meeting with local colleagues, so I checked my missed calls to find that my daughter had been calling me.

I called her back, to find that she was rather upset, as her car had broken-down....probably the clutch cable. She asked if I was in the vicinity, but I explained I was already miles away, at home. Help for her was on the way, she said, and I got her to say exactly where she was stuck. And I was astounded to discover that her clutch cable had snapped (or whatever) about 10feet from where I'd been parked, at my work.

Where my car...with it's towbar. And towrope. And tarpauline. And me.....had coincidently been parked, about 90mins beforehand.

Had the fates tried to put me there, to help her? And I spoilt it, by going away too easly?

Maybe I don't believe in fate.

Perhaps the fact that we'd randomly-met less than a couple of hours ago for the first time in a while, in a location which was impossibly-improbable, that I'd almost played-out an unseen piece of instinctive theatre earlier ('walk-towing' in front of her not-yet-known-to-be-her car...), the fact that I was, unwittingly, completely-prepared to help her out from an incident that was going to happen an hour in the future.....just totally, utterly, spine-chillingly curious.

Nothing quite like this has ever happened to me before (and there were certain other coincidental aspects that are too detailed to go into). But it feels so much more than just mere chance forming a conjunction seen only from the perspective of the perceivor.

I'm not doing the story full justice. It really was extremely odd, when all experienced in person
It's the Universe's way of saying 'visit each other more' or something like that.

gattino

Justified & Ancient
Another of those clusterings which give the impression of being prodded by...well..something...to take notice.

Last week Youtube offered as suggested watching an old video clip of Oprah Winfrey interviewing a Dr Brian Weiss, a past life regression hypnotherapist and author of a book called Same Soul, Many Bodies. I watched the clip.

Its therefore not a mystery that in the next couple of days youtube offered more content from Dr Weiss on reincarnation and the afterlife.

What turns from an algorhythm into an oddity is that on Wednesday i checked out the facebook page of a coming airbnb guest, as he has an unusual name and im nosy, and among the limited things i could see was one of his "likes". A book/page called "Miracles Happen: The Transformational Healing Power of Past-Life Memories". Click on it. Author? The same Dr Weiss. Odd coincidence. But coincidences happen.

Except then last night, Friday, I clicked on a new "story" (a time limited posting) on instagram by a stranger i follow. It turned out to be a few second of video of the cover of Same Soul Many Bodies with a caption saying how good it is. Ok, now this is getting creepy. the same author and topic turning up from 3 unrelated sources in the space of a week. I told someone about this clustering and went back to the instagram story (5 minutes after clicking on it) to double check the exact title of the book, but the posting had already vanished as no longer available, adding to the impression of mystery.

15 minutes later....my brother texts me out of the blue to ask, with no prelude or background to the question, "What was the name of that man who used to be on bbc2 in the 80's doing past life regression? Keating I think?" (he means Joe Keeton)

Oh come on! Someone is trying to tell me somethng surely! I have questioned the brother on what made him ask..."Just rememberd the show but thought his name was Tom for some reason". That's it. No other explanation. He just happened to think about Keeton as I'm noticing and noting this cluster of references to an unrelated past life regression therapist.

bugmum

Devoted Cultist
We're weighing up the pros and cons of moving house, and anyone who knows us will know that the pros and cons will be thoroughly weighed and dissected! Anyway, the in-laws came down last weekend, partly because the Medic wanted to hear their opinions on the subject. My father-in-law is an early riser, and as quiet as he tries to be going downstairs, he inevitably wakes up the Medic and I. I'm okay - I can go back to sleep. The Medic, on the other hand, not so much. So on Sunday morning, sure enough, we were woken up at about 6am, and whilst I dozed off again, the Medic followed his dad downstairs after about 15 minutes or so. In the meantime, I was dreaming. I was moving into student accommodation at the start of an academic year (it's 30 years since I had that pleasure!), and while I was getting my things sorted, all the other doors on the corridor are closed. When I did eventually come to properly and go downstairs, the Medic and my FIL were discussing one of the houses that we had looked at the previous day, which had a galleried area above the kitchen from which the bedroom doors opened. They were talking about the disadvantages of this arrangement in that you'd need to keep bedroom doors shut in order to keep cooking smells out of them, and then the Medic said, "Nah, closed bedroom doors just feel like student accommodation to me, and we don't like it."

A very minor coincidence, but one that almost made me choke on my cuppa!

Kryptonite

Stanley Unwin enthusiasty. Deep joy!
A few weeks ago I was sitting on a bus gazing out the window and listening to a football podcast. One of the people on the podcast said a sentence with the word "memo" in it, the other said "memo?", and the first said "memo!"

At that exact moment, the bus was passing am electricity substation which someone had spray painted the word MEMO on twice, in huge letters.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Was the podcast discussing Spanish players or teams? "Memo" is a common informal short-form of "Guillermo" - analogous to "Bill" for "William."

Bigphoot2

Not sprouts! I hate sprouts.
Scottish Atlantic rower's lost boat washes up near family home
  • 4 hours ago
A rowing boat abandoned off the US coast by a Scots adventurer has washed up a year later less than 100 miles (161km) from his home in Scotland.
Niall Iain Macdonald was making his third attempt in four years to cross the North Atlantic from New York to Stornoway in Lewis when he was rescued.
He got into difficulty in stormy seas more than 700 miles off the US coast.
The boat was washed up on a beach at Askernish in South Uist, the ancestral home of Mr MacDonald's late mother.

etc
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-highlands-islands-49688499

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
US baby born on 9/11 at 9:11 weighs 9lb 11oz
A US mother says her newborn daughter is a "little miracle" after she was born on the anniversary of the 9/11 attacks at 9:11pm weighing 9lb 11oz.

Little Christina Brown came into the world at Methodist LeBonheur Hospital in Germantown, Tennessee.

"She is a new life amongst the devastation and destruction," said her mother Cametrione Moore-Brown.

Commemorations were held across the US to mark 18 years since the attack, on 11 September 2001.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49699494

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Sometimes a coincidence occurs that proves the point you're trying to make ...
Pigeon poops on lawmaker discussing pigeon poop problem

A pigeon apparently didn’t think much of a lawmaker’s ideas to address a messy situation at a Chicago Transit Authority stop known by some as “pigeon poop station.”

WBBM-TV reports that one of the birds did its business on the head of Democratic state Rep. Jaime Andrade as he was discussing the problem with a reporter outside of the Irving Park Blue Line station. ...

During the interview, Andrade rubbed the top of his head and said, “I think they just got me.” They did.

The sidewalks outside of the station are covered in bird waste and feathers.

Andrade has been trying to fix the problem. One of his ideas is to ask the CTA to install a hose line for power washing when it constructs new escalators at the stop.
SOURCE: https://www.apnews.com/96823a824a0b4f03ab6bb0333e160bda

Iris

Justified & Ancient
I have a gardener and his wife who come in each fortnight. I thought I'd better tell them that I will be away the next time they are due and ask if they wanted to make up the hours another time.
To my surprise they broke out in smiles and said they had been offered work cleaning at a conference that day so we were both glad we would not be inconveniencing the other.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
they had been offered work cleaning at a conference
I'd do that. You find all sorts!

In fact I was once voluntarily tidying a conference area while chatting with another conference-goer about the belief that angels are supposed to help poor desperate mortals who ask them, and immediately picked up a tiny angel-shaped brooch. My acquaintance was stunned.

About 5 months ago I was arranging for a handyman to come to the house to do some work. I had seen his advert in a local magazine but had never contacted him before. After the first introductory phone call we arranged that I phone him back that weekend to arrange a day when he could start work the following week. I tried phoning him on the Saturday. He wasn't in so I left a message on his voicemail.

On Sunday, since I had still not been able to contact him, I was in one of those predicaments i.e. wondering when would likely be the best time to phone and catch him when could answer the phone in person. Around noon I was sitting at the living room table doing some task or other (can't remember what it was now). I had in mind to phone the handyman after I had completed said task. However, before I could finish the job I was doing I got a sudden, VERY, VERY STRONG compulsion to drop what I was doing and phone him then and there. I responded to the feeling immediately. And I got straight through. He was actually out walking that day and had just sat down to have his lunch and so had switched on his phone.

Long story short, this handyman has now done a lot of work at the house and to a very high standard.

In fact I was once voluntarily tidying a conference area while chatting with another conference-goer about the belief that angels are supposed to help poor desperate mortals who ask them, and immediately picked up a tiny angel-shaped brooch. My acquaintance was stunned.
I used to go to a local woman for tarot card readings. I use oracle and tarot cards a lot myself. My instant response to the coincidence you describe is that the tarot cards might say that when you picked up the brooch, the "universe" was confirming that there are "angels" (whatever they may be) who help poor desperate mortals.

In fact, if one reads stories of real adventurers, and especially of seamen, they often believe that there is something more to existence than science might lead us to believe. ( I'm not talking religion here.) In fact, last year I read the autobiography of one such adventurer who, experiencing coincidence after coincidence after coincidence, one of which saved his life, started referring to this force or whatever it is as his General Manager, for it seemed to be organising his life for him e.g. putting him in touch with the right people at the right time to get him to where he wanted to go. Where he wanted to go included Africa and then sailing across the Atlantic single-handed.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
In fact, if one reads stories of real adventurers, and especially of seamen, they often believe that there is something more to existence than science might lead us to believe.
Not just adventurers and seamen! A former CERN particle physicist of my close acquaintance*, a lifelong sceptic, once confessed to me that the more one gets into physics and especially maths, the more it all appears so organised and elegant that you can't help thinking it's all part of a massive design by one omnipotent being...

*Present at the announcement of the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle and subsequently the top Higgs analyst!

Not just adventurers and seamen! A former CERN particle physicist of my close acquaintance*, a lifelong sceptic, once confessed to me that the more one gets into physics and especially maths, the more it all appears so organised and elegant that you can't help thinking it's all part of a massive design by one omnipotent being...

*Present at the announcement of the discovery of the Higgs Boson particle and subsequently the top Higgs analyst!

Wow. Science and....well, religion? Surely not!

Min Bannister

Justified & Ancient
I noticed some multipacks of crisps at the Coopy called Spicy Sriracha and I had never heard of it so didn't touch them. I guess no-one else had either as they ended up on special offer and I bought a pack. Then later on that evening I watched a Youtube video where the women pulled a bag of something out of her cupboard and it was Spicy Sriracha flavoured. It could just be one of those things which has suddenly become fashionable I guess.