Coincidences

Mungoman

Mostly harmless...
ln thirty years’ service in a rural-ish area, l only ever had to attend two deaths by firearm. One was a suicide, the other a homicide.

l attended both during the same eight-hour shift.

The same brand of 12-bore cartridges was used in both instances.

Both were point blank head shots.

maximus otter

Jesus Christ MO...12 gauge.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
My apologies MO...you needing to deal with two deaths up close after the use of a weapon like that, was the the reason for the invocation mate. Only toffs call 'em 12 bores - us colonials use gauge.

How are you going?
Don’t worry, mate, it wasn’t that side of police work that caused me grief.

maximus otter

Schrodinger's Zebra

Waiting and watching and seeking a sign..
Very small coincidence but I'll throw it into the ring anyway.

This morning I was watching a YouTube video (about smart meters) and the host, who is American, mentioned his power company, "PG & E". I'd not heard of them before today.

Then just now, on the "All Electric Future" thread, the company "PG & E" has been mentioned.

So there you have it.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
I just got the book Flight or Fright{collection of short stories}First story I read "Cargo"about the Jonestown mass suicide, switch on the telly and there is Jim Jefferies. Next look at but didn't really read "They should not grow old"flick on youtube. trailer for the film of the same title.Bit odd.

Lizard King

Ephemeral Spectre
Very small coincidence but I'll throw it into the ring anyway.

This morning I was watching a YouTube video (about smart meters) and the host, who is American, mentioned his power company, "PG & E". I'd not heard of them before today.

Then just now, on the "All Electric Future" thread, the company "PG & E" has been mentioned.

So there you have it.
After reading your post about PG and E, just went on the thread "Have we just had the warning..."and what power company is being discussed?

GNC

King-Sized Canary
I just got the book Flight or Fright{collection of short stories}First story I read "Cargo"about the Jonestown mass suicide, switch on the telly and there is Jim Jefferies. Next look at but didn't really read "They should not grow old"flick on youtube. trailer for the film of the same title.Bit odd.
What does Jim Jefferies have to do with Jonestown? I don't know enough about him.

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
Staff member
Last night an intense thunderstorm with gale-force winds felled trees and killed the power to my suburban area. I knew it would be a while until power was restored, so ...

I grabbed my mini LED headlamp on an elastic headband and used its illumination to get dressed for an expedition out and about - both to survey the extent of the blackout and to simply pass the time. As I popped my hat on I slipped the headlamp band down around my neck and wore it as a necklace so I wouldn't have to fumble for it in a pocket.

After some cursory cruising I found active power only about a mile away. I then decided to make a grocery run to an upscale market situated in the powered zone some miles farther away.

Roughly an hour had passed by the time I returned to my apartment complex, where I was disappointed to see the blackout was still in force. I privately grumbled as I hoisted two heavy shopping totes out of my vehicle and prepared for the trek all the way around to the back side of my building in the dark.

I reached up to my throat and fumbled for the molded switch to the LED lamp. I thought I'd clicked it properly, but the lamp didn't light up. Instead - and instantaneously upon my clicking ...

There was a percussive 'ka-chunk' sound from afar, a deep hum ramped up, and all the surrounding sidewalk, porch, and street lamps came on.

I chuckled, "Even better!" and smugly lugged my provisions around back and inside.

Schrodinger's Zebra

After reading your post about PG and E, just went on the thread "Have we just had the warning..."and what power company is being discussed?
Yeah that's the thread I read it on! I shortened it to "All electric future" cos I was too tired to type out the full name. oops.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Can't remember if i've already posted this.

T'other day I was given a copy of the Saddleworth Independent. I said 'Ooh thank you! I only know one thing about Saddleworth.'

Saddleworth Moor was where the moors murderers buried and sometimes first attacked their victims. We chatted about it, being in a relevant locality, and incidentally mentioned a colleague who reckons he was nearly abducted by them as a young child.

(I've known lots of people who also knew people involved in those awful crimes.)

Later I was reminded that the day was the anniversary of the disappearance of Keith Bennett, who was a victim of the same murderers. His body has never been found.

Ii went on a bit; I'd promised to dig out a book for a colleague about the the case and next morning I found one on a second hand book table. Not that exact book, but one that will suit her better. So I won't have to go looking for the one I promised her.

No more like this, Universe, please!

INT21

Antediluvian
A small coincidence.

Last night we mentioned music (can't remember the thread( Yes, I know, very bad short term memory)) and I mentioned Phaedra.
This afternoon A was passing my wife's tv and a question on a game show was 'Which mythical beast was half bull half human ?'

Of course, it is the Minator; From the same Greek Tragedy that has Phaedra.

INT21.

Victory

Ephemeral Spectre
In 1969, TV Presenter Simon Dee left the BBC after his wage demands were refused by the Head of Light Entertainment, Bill Cotton.

Some years later, Dee, now in reduced circumstances following the collapse of his media career, smashed up a toilet seat with Petula Clark's face on it, in protest of what he perceived as disrespect to her.
He was jailed for vandalism.
The magistrate....his ex boss Bill Cotton.

Or was he?
Because this story might just be an urban myth, the toilet seat in reality bearing a picture of Marilyn Monroe?

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Just now the Stranglers song Golden Brown popped up on YouTube, played with a mariachi band backing Cornwell's vocals.

Afterwards I went back to listening to t'wireless, where someone was describing being woken up at dawn by a mariachi band outside the building (hotel or whatever) where he was staying...

Here it is -
The Digital Human

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
I was helping out on the IT Helpdesk today - processing emails from customers who have typically forgotten or mistyped their passwords and need some software maintenance to unlock their accounts, reset passwords or user names etc.
Once I've confirmed a customer's identity, which includes checking date of birth and NI number, I call up their record to confirm its status - active, disabled, suspended etc.
My first customer today had the same birthday as me. I managed to resolve his technical issue quite easily and mentioned that we shared a birthday and wished him a happy birthday for a couple of weeks ago.
There's a coincidence, I thought.
Onto my second customer and, you guessed it, also the same birthday as me.
Now that is just plain weird!

Over the (very long) day, I processed another 40 or so customer queries, with no other DOBs coinciding with mine.
Those first two of the day gave me quite an unreal feeling though.

escargot

Disciple of Marduk
Another moors murders coincidence: in the last couple of days, there have been allegations/revelations about Brady's time in Broadmoor where it seems he was allowed to mix with vulnerable younger inmates and even have sex with them.

Tonight I read a bit more of the book about the murders and found a discussion about how well-known the murders are and how the murderers can still make the headlines. Yes, I thought, they can, even after they're dead themselves.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
I was helping out on the IT Helpdesk today - processing emails from customers who have typically forgotten or mistyped their passwords and need some software maintenance to unlock their accounts, reset passwords or user names etc.
Once I've confirmed a customer's identity, which includes checking date of birth and NI number, I call up their record to confirm its status - active, disabled, suspended etc.
My first customer today had the same birthday as me. I managed to resolve his technical issue quite easily and mentioned that we shared a birthday and wished him a happy birthday for a couple of weeks ago.
There's a coincidence, I thought.
Onto my second customer and, you guessed it, also the same birthday as me.
Now that is just plain weird!

Over the (very long) day, I processed another 40 or so customer queries, with no other DOBs coinciding with mine.
Those first two of the day gave me quite an unreal feeling though.
Not as weird as you might think. You only have to have a group of 23 people to ensure a 50:50 chance of two of them having the same birthday. For (about) 42 people, the odds are approximately 9 in 10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

maximus otter

Schrodinger's Zebra

Another moors murders coincidence: in the last couple of days, there have been allegations/revelations about Brady's time in Broadmoor where it seems he was allowed to mix with vulnerable younger inmates and even have sex with them.

Tonight I read a bit more of the book about the murders and found a discussion about how well-known the murders are and how the murderers can still make the headlines. Yes, I thought, they can, even after they're dead themselves.
Liking not because it's a likeable subject but... you know. Awful revelations.

blessmycottonsocks

Justified & Ancient
Not as weird as you might think. You only have to have a group of 23 people to ensure a 50:50 chance of two of them having the same birthday. For (about) 42 people, the odds are approximately 9 in 10.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birthday_problem

maximus otter
That's if you compare DOBs across a group of people though.
The odds on the first record matching my birthday is surely 365 to 1?

The odds on the very next record also matching my birthday is 365 x 365 or 133,225 to 1, which is pretty high.
Since yesterday morning's coincidence, I've processed around 50 helpdesk emails and my DOB has not occurred.

maximus otter

Recovering policeman
That's if you compare DOBs across a group of people though.
The odds on the first record matching my birthday is surely 365 to 1?

The odds on the very next record also matching my birthday is 365 x 365 or 133,225 to 1, which is pretty high.
That's not how "random" works.

In a group of 42 people, one of them being yourself, you found two matches. Whether the match was the first or the forty-first is irrelevant.

maximus otter

Schrodinger's Zebra

There's a lot more to come out about Brady. He carried on bullying and manipulating after he was locked up. He had more than one famous visitor.
:(:mad: That doesn't sound good at all.

Zebs dug up an intriguing old thread about an anomalous figure photographed in a ruined boathouse a couple of days ago. The backstory concerned a reclusive film-maker seeking out locations for his short film Anima. I changed channel from here to the Guardian, and found a review for a short film entitled Anima.
I'm a coincidence! :joyf: