• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Odd Sayings

Taking things a stage further...We used to have this game where if anyone used these anachronistic phrases, we'd coin in with 'With a duck'.

So you get...

Them: 'Well I'll go to the foot of our stairs...'
US: '...with a duck!'

That was the Coronation Street sketch: "By eck, Ena Sharples, you weren't behind t'mangle when they handed out stair rods".

There's also talk of having "clinkers to riddle and pots to scythe".

One that has always puzzled me is from one of her 'Kitty' sketches, with the brilliant Patricia Routledge: "so I said to the producer "I hope you sealed the envelope properly", which is an old golfing retort of mine". ??

Think I'll start using that, whatever it means...

I often had to be told to 'put t'wood in't oyl' as a kid, so that remains a favourite.

Many more colourful examples here: As I Was Saying: An A-Z of Yorkshire dialect

I often had to be told to 'put t'wood in't oyl' as a kid, so that remains a favourite.

Were you born in't field?

There is an Alien movie set on a prison planet whose main protagonists are the human incarnations of the Tetley Teafolk.
'Look out! It's T'Alien!'

LOL. Yes, the suvvun equivalent being: "Where was you brort up, a fackin barn?"

Would love to see a Yorkshire-based version of any sci-fi film, happen.

BTW I've no doubt many here will have encountered Cockney Star Trek before.

Edit: Apparently same YouTube channel as the Yorks Alien thing. Makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIIBL_TLS20

Last edited:
Were you born in't field?

There is an Alien movie set on a prison planet whose main protagonists are the human incarnations of the Tetley Teafolk.
'Look out! It's T'Alien!'

At the pictures today, ah were reet chuffed to hear a Yorkshire accent opening the trailer for Jupiter Ascending (was that Sean Bean?) Mind you, we have it on good authority that lots of planets have a North ;)

Meanwhile, speaking of doors, I used to get "you make a better door than window" from my dad if I was in the way of the telly or other object of interest.

Isn't he Lancashire? Mind you, I suppose he's an actor and they can do these things..... :)

Sean Bean is from Sheffield and sports a tattoo reading "100% Blade".

Article headline from the Telegraph today:
Labour's manifesto problem: you can't fatten a pig on market day

Leaving the politics aside, 'you can't fatten a pig on market day' sounds like a good old saying, but I don't think I've ever heard it before! It sounds genuine, so is it a saying used locally somewhere, or was it once more common but has since fallen out of use?

I tried a quick web search, and it exists outside of current politics, eg:
http://www.nairaland.com/1450/nigerian-proverbs-english

It was also used last year in Australian politics:
http://wangarattachronicle.com.au/2014/07/04/few-contenders-but-tim-not-resting/

I don't have time now for more searching, so it's over to you, FTMB!

"Tha's better wi' a butty than wi' nowt", which translates as be happy with what you have and don't complain.

The other day, I overheard my mother say that someone was "drunker 'n a coonhound".

This was puzzling, as coonhounds don't have a particular reputation for drunkenness. Well, neither do skunks, but at least "skunk" rhymes with "drunk". Don't know how coonhounds were brought into it.

I didn't ask, because when it comes to hillbilly slang, it's often better not to know. :p

"Shut the front door!" ... the missus is fond of saying that when something's weird or a shock but sadly her horse by the same name didn't win the National this year ..

The other day, I overheard my mother say that someone was "drunker 'n a coonhound".

This was puzzling, as coonhounds don't have a particular reputation for drunkenness. Well, neither do skunks, but at least "skunk" rhymes with "drunk". Don't know how coonhounds were brought into it.

I didn't ask, because when it comes to hillbilly slang, it's often better not to know. :p

Well, moonshiners are likely to have coonhounds who may sample the goods!

"There's note wrong with owt as long as mithering gibets don't clecketigrubbet!" Goodies episode about Master of Eckithump (a northern martial art) making fun of Kung Fu movies.

Having been born and raised in the Southern US, I have heard many an odd saying. "The old folks" were a never ending source. In especially warm weather, it could be "hot as a whorehouse on nickel night". If you were particularly ill or hung over you might feel "like you'd been eat by a cow and sh*t off a cliff", and might regret getting "drunk as Cooter Brown". (Nobody ever seemed to know who Cooter Brown was.)

Having been born and raised in the Southern US, I have heard many an odd saying. "The old folks" were a never ending source. In especially warm weather, it could be "hot as a whorehouse on nickel night". If you were particularly ill or hung over you might feel "like you'd been eat by a cow and sh*t off a cliff", and might regret getting "drunk as Cooter Brown". (Nobody ever seemed to know who Cooter Brown was.)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooter_Brown

Yeah. The stereotype of Southener as Drunkard is pretty widespread. Sometimes deservedly, sometimes not.

We'll need more of these, please. :D

Stephen King's characters often come out with colourful sayings. 'Madder than a shithouse rat' is one that sticks in my mind. I seem to remember that this was a New England phrase, could be wrong.

Ok, let's see, if it's real cold outside, it'll either be "colder than a witch's tit in a brass bra", or "colder than a welldigger's ass" and if you are really angry about something you are "mad as a wet hen". If you are just bonkers then you're "crazy as a bessie bug". Now let's say that you've got in your car and you drive to the store but it's closed, or some other circumstance makes your intended errand futile In spite of your preparation. You say "Well, that was a burnt run." That is an old moonshiners phrase which means you had the fire too hot and burned the batch, or the "run" and have to start all over.
If you're short on funds, you're "so broke you can't pay attention" or "too broke to buy a redbug a wrestling suit". A redbug, or chigger, is an extremely small insect, barely visible to the naked eye that lives in the grass and borrows under the skin causing horrific itching. Don't know if you have them where you are. Oh, yeah, if something really gets on your nerves you'd say "It really scorches my grits when you leave all the lights on." And if someone does that thing, you might be tempted to "go up one side of him and down the other." If you know someone who is eccentric or incorrigible or both, you'd say "Now ain't he a bird in this world". That was one of my grandma's favorites. That's all my tired brain can muster right this minute, but I'll be back with more.
Also, I can attest to the shithouse rat thing being from New England, as my father was born and raised in Massachusetts and said it a lot.

Ok, Escargot, here are some more for you. If a person " doth protest too much" you say " hit dog always hollers", which means that the person loudly proclaiming their innocence is the culprit and if you are extremely busy, you are "busy as a one-legged man in a butt kicking contest". When a person is very nervous, they are "nervous as a whore in church" or " nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs". To be very tired is to be "Plumb wore out" or "Plumb give out" and to be content is to be "happy as a dead pig in the sun". If a baby isn't particularly pretty don't worry, because "homely in the cradle, pretty at the table", and making grandiose promises you probably can't keep is "letting your mouth overload your ass". If you have no intention to do something, you "don't aim to do it" or "ain't fixin' to do it" conversely, if you are about to do something you are "fixin' to". In my youth, I was a borderline juvenile delinquent and was said to be "wild as a jackrabbit", and if you were totally uninformed about a subject, my grandmother would say that you "know as much about that as a jackrabbit knows about Christmas" and when I misbehaved, which was all the time, it was "Gal, if you don't stop that, I'm gonna beat you seven ways from Sunday." Of course, I never stopped, so I had to go outside and get her a "hickory" or "switch" which is a long, thin, flexible branch from a tree or a bush, and if it wasn't big enough, she'd send me back to get another one, and she would "tan my hide".It never had much effect on me, and the general consensus was that "It didn't take". And if I was not particularly quick to do something, I was "slow as molasses in January". She was a stern woman, but never hesitated to tell me "I love you better'n grits." When It got to be spring planting time, my grandfather would be anxious to start plowing his fields, but if it was still too cold she'd tell him "Paw, you know that ground's still froze harder'n a preacher's dick" Now this was never said in front of us kids, but I overheard it. When she was talking to us she world use the wonderful word "tallywhacker" as a euphemism for the male member.The corresponding area on a female was known as the
"Coochie", and your rear end was your "hiney".
When someone is upset thethey are "het up", or have "got their panties in a wad".
I'm glad you enjoy this stuff. I like to hear different sayings from different places myself, and especially love the rhyming slang. I use it occasionally just for fun. Of course people look at me like I have three heads, but I' m used to it and "It don't make me no nevermind". Of course the sayings are better when you hear the accent along with them, and make no mistake, the Southern accents you hear on T.V. and in the movies bear little to no resemblance to the real thing unless spoken by a Southern actor. My own accent is very pronounced. I have never tried to lose it like some people do. When I open my mouth, you hear red clay, molasses, wide, lazy, muddy rivers and cotton fields. Of course I was taught proper grammar . I don't always useit, but know how if I need to. Oh yeah one I forgot- If a person is able-bodied but lazy and has an aversion to work (think Onslow on Keeping up Appearances) he is said to be "sorry as dirt" or "useless as tits on a boar hog".

Thanks, @gatesofcerdes, there are some great expressions in there. It's interesting how notions change over distance: in my neck of the woods, you might call someone or something "as much use as a one-legged man at an arse-kicking contest" - it's not a compliment :)

@gatesofcerdes - very interesting. Southern expressions are always so colorful! It's funny - in Texas, you hear these kind of expressions in the Eastern part of the state (The "Southern" part - what I mean is, the part that carries more of the Southern culture). But as you go West, things get decidedly more taciturn. Instead, you get cowboys who can pack a thousand shades of meaning in to "yup" "I tell you what" and "sumbitch" (and sumbitch carries a much more nuanced meaning than "son-of-a-bitch". It may be untranslatable - I tell you what. :p)

The phrase "I'll tan your hide!!" is uncomfortably familiar though. ;)
Or they'll "take it out of your hide" if you "write a check your butt can't cash". (Don't know if that's particularly regional? I haven't asked anyone non-local about this)

I once sent some Australian tourists into gales of laughter when I used the term "shebang". Apparently shebang is not a universal term. I had no idea. :p

I dont know if anyone has mentioned the one 'Built like a brick shit house' meaning they are a BIG strapping person

I once sent some Australian tourists into gales of laughter when I used the term "shebang". Apparently shebang is not a universal term. I had no idea. :p
I say that occasionally, and I'm a Brit.

Back