• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

One thing I forgot to mention...
I think it was the day Blackstar was released, I thought 'I wonder if Bowie is going to go on a world tour?' and I Googled about to see what dates were available.
I was surprised to see there was only one gig listed, and there was a message saying there was no tour planned.
I thought that was a bit odd, because he always had the habit of going on tour to promote an album release.

I suppose at the time I should have figured out that something unusual was about to happen.

He hadn't performed live for about ten years, since his heart attack on stage forced him to slow down.

And today this was going through my head, the song Bowie wrote to cope with his brother's suicide:

The video has some Kubrick influences, and makes an interesting companion piece to his Blackstar video.

He hadn't performed live for about ten years, since his heart attack on stage forced him to slow down.
Ahh, I didn't know that.
Not like he needed to tour at all anyway.

Indeed. Even this thread itself seemed to be an awakening for a wake.

It's intriguing to wonder about some forms of temporal resonance: almost like the timewave zero concept, where truly-major events can presage themselves.

Or: It's not so much of a leap (perhaps) to envisage that where an individual soul, an almost-worshipped sentience, passes-on (either to something else, or nothingness) those for whom a key part of their vitality has been influenced by such a being, might somehow sense an imminence of departure.

A billion tiny tendrils of influence, admiration and love, may bind and build a bond that transcends the limits of seperation and distance.

Yes, sometimes it seems that way. I was always a believer in some sort of "retro-psi" though since having been swayed by the holographiic universe theory, it takes on new permutations now.

Here's some Bowie-flavoured astrology hokum.

No wonder Bowie’s last visions are so very dark. His solar stellium has been transited by Pluto, the Lord of the Underworld, for several years. Right now, Uranus, his guiding planet, is exactly squaring his Sun. The Sun by transit has travelled in the last few days from Pluto to Bowie’s Sun. On Bowie’s birthday (Jan 8), Jupiter, who is often the angel of death, turned retrograde.

tl:dr - As Bowie knew he was dying he wrote sings about death. Heavy, maaan.

A large proportion of Jacques Brel songs were about death. Bowie was a great admirer of Brel and covered at least two of his songs - the acerbic 'Amsterdam' and of course 'Ma Mort' (My Death).

Jacques Brel died of cancer in 1978, aged just 49.

The vinyl ghouls are out -the first pressing of the new LP has sold out pretty much everywhere (unsurprisingly), have a look at the second-hand prices online....

The standard black vinyl edition is being listed at over £150 on Discogs by some sellers....the limited clear vinyl version is being offered for a paltry $1499 by one US seller.

This fair feckin stomps along. Get up & sleep. Fantastic Fripp guitar.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I got the standard black version, it will be repressed so not really rare but I'm still glad I grabbed one - well, it was a present for MrsCarlos so it's hers anyway!

Apologies for the delay.

Pushing through the market square so many mothers sighing

Last edited:
Inspirations. Have I none?
Just to touch the flaming dove.
All I have is my love of love.
And love is not loving.

Saxophone

I'm an alligator.
I'm a space invader.
I'll be a rock n rollin' bitch for you.
Freak out
In a Moonage daydream, oh Yeah.

Here was me age 14. This lyric shaped all I'd be. As Andy or Coal have stated. A world without Bowie is a strange promontory to be. I don't seem to belong as I once did when his lyrics legitimised my thoughts.

Freak out....
Far out ....
In out ....

Time takes a cigarette
And puts it in your mouth
You pull on your finger
Then another finger
Then your cigarette

It certainly did. Yes, it really did.

Don't let the sun blast your shadow.
Don't let the milkfloat blind your mind.
Ýou're so natural
Religiously unkind.
Oh no love, you're not alone.

I've had my share
I'll help you with the pain
You're not alone!

I don't watch Big Brother but the wife just showed me this...

Rage has a Bowie special set up. 5 hours of videos and ancient interviews with the Australian press. Magic. Recording on the other TV. I recorded the Lou Reed tribute too, but it didn't last. David is so much Lou's superior as an artist. I like Lou's music almost equally, but he had nowhere near the pure talent.

Please argue with me on this. I'm not fully comfortable with my position.

Rage has a Bowie special set up. 5 hours of videos and ancient interviews with the Australian press. Magic. Recording on the other TV. I recorded the Lou Reed tribute too, but it didn't last. David is so much Lou's superior as an artist. I like Lou's music almost equally, but he had nowhere near the pure talent.

Please argue with me on this. I'm not fully comfortable with my position.
What a load of shit. They're two sides of the same coin. The yin to one another's yang. One doesn't exist without the other. One goes, the other dies. No quite immediately, but soon enough.

Best thing I've heard tonight, and it has been a long night of Bowie so far.

Last edited:
Doctor Carolyne Larrington, who teaches medieval English literature at St John's College Oxford has put out her own tribute to David Bowie – an Old English translation of the lyrics of Ziggy Stardust.

"I was a massive teenage Bowie fan in the 70s and still know all the words to the songs on Ziggy Stardust, Hunky Dory and Aladdin Sane," Larrington told Little Atoms. "The translation was done a few years ago to entertain the undergraduates, but I put out as a sincere tribute to someone who meant an enormous amount to me."

zigge-aged.jpg

http://littleatoms.com/film-music-words/zigge-stear-dust-swa-he-aras-and-feoll

That is SO nerdy.

Back