• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

How wonderful. I studied old English. Would love to hear how it sounds.

RM, you posted a link to an academic's eye view of Bowie's cultural legacy a few weeks ago on the What Music? thread. Would you mind if I tracked it down and pasted it here? It was an interesting read.

Skinny, mate, how are you doing? A little bit better than when we heard? Anyway, hope you're feeling okay and adjusting to the new universe. lots of love, ER.

How wonderful. I studied old English. Would love to hear how it sounds.

RM, you posted a link to an academic's eye view of Bowie's cultural legacy a few weeks ago on the What Music? thread. Would you mind if I tracked it down and pasted it here? It was an interesting read.

... Two of the scholarly books — Future Nostalgia: Performing David Bowie (2015) and Enchanting David Bowie: Space/Time/Body/Memory (2015) — insist that Bowie should not be viewed simply as a rock musician: Bowie’s ongoing cultural performance is an elusive and pliable text that can be read and reread from various critical vantages. But the business of unpacking the text that Bowie leaves behind is a serious interpretive challenge. Shelton Waldrep, a Victorian scholar and a leading scholar in David Bowie Studies, has been teaching a senior thesis course (“The Phenomenology of David Bowie”) for over 10 years at the University of Southern Maine. His cultural studies course, which sits alongside traditional courses on Shakespeare, Dickens, and Joyce, rigorously attempts to dissolve the existing boundaries between high culture and low culture. His book, Future Nostalgia: The Performance of David Bowie, attempts to trace every discernible cultural and aesthetic influence on Bowie’s work. From performance traditions (commedia dell’arte and Lindsay Kemp) to visual culture (German Expressionism, Duchamp, Dada) to the literary artists (the cut-ups of William S. Burroughs and the dystopian works of J. G. Ballard), Waldrep’s capacious approach to Bowie’s eclectic body of work persuasively suggests that Bowie’s oeuvre should be interpreted with a wide-angle interdisciplinary lens. ...

https://lareviewofbooks.org/review/david-bowie-and-the-1970s-testing-the-limits-of-the-gendered-body

Here ye go.

Viewing this video, I don't think Russell Harty was a David Bowie fan .. Harty's part brushed off by a mildly irritated Bowie

She does look amazing for 57, yes. Wow.

Daniel Peña ‏@danimalpena 2h2 hours agoNew Orleans, LA
David Bowie's Jazz funeral w/ @PresHall band and @arcadefire in New Orleans

CY4ASAhUsAEpoDR.jpg

^^ Klaus Nomi ^^

I've just read this thread in total today, and can I just say that the entries pre-Monday are wonderful dedications to a great artist.
It was lovely to read these, as it showed you all to be true fans, and not being oppurtunists or band-wagon jumpers post-Monday.
May I just take this opportunity to thank Skinny for starting this thread, and to the rest of you, a great round of applause.

Simon says Hi!

G'day, Simon. Thanks and welcome to this thread. It's yours, ours and everybody's. Could you give us something of your take on Bowie and what he means to you?

That is really what i wanted this thread to be about. His personal impact on his fans and almost everybody in the western world besides has been most stupendous. Not just us mundane daily folk, but big time superstars who command attention, even if they do say so themselves.

PS; I think Madonna is an outstanding artist in her own right. She sounds a bit dumb here as she's a bit drunk and talking at the same time, but I admire her output. Who else could pull off a striptease featuring Frida Kahlo and Eva Braun while funking out to a very drab Rebel Rebel cover?

This was about the peak of her talents, for me. I don't think David Bowie gave it as much time, but she was in Smash Hits and I liked the pop synth paired with the 60s Monroe stylings. I had to. There was no warning.

Last edited:
This rather extraordinary. Poor video copy but the sound is smashing. David makes the Waters lyric his own.There's a nice user comment below it referring to DB's passing ~ "Energy cannot be created or destroyed, it can only be changed from one form to another. Have a nice trip!" I wonder what DB said to Dave Crosby at the end of the video. Got a like, anyway.

Last edited:
This is an alternative take on a great piece of Bowie music. Interesting? Maybe.
But only if you consider Bowie took backward steps. I don't. Why throw out the poetry for the sake of novelty?

Compared to this, it isn't even a shadow.

Let's have some fun. Have you witnessed the David Bowie live experience? I missed out. Too far from the scene at the times he visited.

I want to know which tour you liked best, or would have chosen to experience, of all there were. Please don't cite his "next", as I've just done that one. For me the Stage tour of 1978 would have been for me the best band he ever had. I have the double vinyl edition, and S2S is mind blowing. I know the Ziggy threesome is unbeatable, but sincerely, the Alomar band was the most tuned into himself.

Personnel
  • David Bowie – vocals, keyboards
  • Carlos Alomar – rhythm guitar, backing vocals
  • George Murray – bass, backing vocals
  • Dennis Davis – drums, percussion ("Davis really lets his hair down throughout," marvelled Q,[11] "barrelling around his kit, testing every cymbal in the shop and embellishing favourites such as a snail's-pace 'Ziggy Stardust' and 'Station to Station' with some thrillingly flamboyant but fluid showmanship.")
  • Adrian Belew – lead guitar, backing vocals
Additional personnel

I'd cite the Serious Moonlight tour second. That was the era of my earthly awakening in music. Bowie was inside my life from the first eye-opening scene.
david-bowie-1983-06-28.jpg

Tour band

3rd - On my close friend's recommendation, I'd see the Reality tour. I think GA Dorsey was his best ever bassist. I'm a bassist, so I know. heh

Tour Band

Last edited:
Facebook sings Bowie, another one of those vids that matches peoples names on facebook to lyrics

Hill airy arse, Swifty. You have an eye for the obscure. Keep me entertained while I mourn the loss of deep and never met friend. Huge fan of Meera Syal here.

Arcade Fire & Preservation Hall Jazz Band performing "Heroes" at the start of their David Bowie tribute second line parade just outside Preservation Hall in New Orleans, LA on January 16, 2016.

That is fabulous. Who'd have thought a skinny upstart from Brixton would impact all the way to the Krewe du Vieux? Touched the soul of the soulful in every nation.

Only...
I know we wouldn't get to experience that joyous wake, but please, FFS, put the devices away and dance. Christ almighty.

That is fabulous. Who'd have thought a skinny upstart from Brixton would impact all the way to the Krewe du Vieux? Touched the soul of the soulful in every nation.

Only...
I know we wouldn't get to experience that joyous wake, but please, FFS, put the devices away and dance. Christ almighty.

Yeah!

Bowie got a New Orleans Funeral.

Heard about this thing while reading a Bowie bio 20 years ago, but never seen this until now. Great version of Space Oddity. Every person you see, all of them, are fucked up on something or other. ... yet nobody vomits.

Last edited:
Hill airy arse, Swifty. You have an eye for the obscure. Keep me entertained while I mourn the loss of deep and never met friend. Huge fan of Meera Syal here.
The pleasure's mine Sir .. thank you for this thread.

Back