• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

I hadn't heard that term in many years. Frankly I had forgotten it. Thanks.

Now we come to 2015, last year. I have not covered every entry I made in any one year. While reading the 2015 notations I came across an episode I had had as a child. It seems really fresh in my memory so I may have written about it earlier. If so, ignore it. Anyway this very strange occurance took place when I was 4 or 5 years old. My bed was still in the corner of my parents bedroom. My brother had his own bedroom.
Our neighbors kept a young child, a year or so younger than myself, as her mother was having marital problems. She and played together a good bit. Her name was Donna Sue.
One night, after we had all turned in and I had not yet gone to sleep, I saw Donna Sue come into the bedroom was in and approach my bed. I said, "What are you doing here", I knew she shouldn't be out after dark. As she approached the bed she said, "Mary says to get up at Moon". Mary was our neighbor who was caring for Donna Sue. Then she walked right up to my bed and disappeared. Of course I looked for her. In all the hubbub I awakened my mother who wanted to know what was going on. I told her and she said I had a nightmare and to go back to sleep.
The next day I got quite a ribbing, especially from my brother. My mother said "He was talking to Donna Sue and even talking for her". Now just a doggone minute, if my mother heard two sides of a conversation I wasn't dreaming. I have remembered that episode all of these years (over 70) and children generally forget dreams pretty quick.
Donna Sues mother remarried and she went home shortly after that. I never saw her again but, many years later, I did see her wedding announcement in the local paper.

My wife was telling about an odd experience she had don at her store. Keep in mind our entry way door into the store has a very loud bell. So loud, in fact, that I have seen customers place their hand over it to dull down the sound. A loud bell is necessary as we want to know if someone enters the store while we are working in the backroom. Any way, my wife was working on the main sales floor where the entry door and bell are located. She says she did not hear the bell or the opening of the door. But she was startled by a rich deep voice with a bit of a drawl to it. Turning she saw a gentleman, dressed in a western outfit even to the boots and Texan hat. She said he was six feet tall or better. He started the conversation with, "You've got quite a spread here". "Its been some time since I was here and you've certainly prettified the place". She said they talked for some time about how the area had changed and general banter. She said he picked up a large throw she had draped over some furniture and was commenting on it. He pulled out an old gold pocket watch on a chain and remarked that he had better be moving on. My wife said she walked him to the door and he departed. My wife says she was no more than 3 steps behind him; but when she reached the door to see which way he went; there was no one there. We have a large parking lot. There are no trees, buildings or trash containers on it. The only car in the lot was the Ford my wife drives. Where did this fellow disappear to?

One morning my wife was telling me about a little ghost she witnessed. It occurred in the bedroom (Noah room) just minutes after she turned out the lights. The Noah room is rarely totally dark. The room has three windows, they are tall and narrow but one of them faces the front of the house and a street light provides some illumination. The other two windows are to the side and unless the neighbors security light comes on the only night time light comes from the moon and stars. She says she was still wide awake when movement to her right caught her attention. Looking right she saw a young 5 or 6 year old girl with very long light brown hair walk across the bedroom and out into the hall. She wore a long white night shirt much like children slept in in the 1800's or maybe early 1900's. She said the child held her head in such a way that she didn't show her face. My wife has seen "ghosts" before. She knows what they are. She is not frightened, just curious. We have speculated that this phantom could have been one of William Lawrence's daughters. He had three, I think. My wife's theory is that "ghosts" are simply playback images from the past. Possibly, but I have no definite opinion on the subject.

One night last winter, I had turned in and I had gone to sleep. I was awakened by the movement of the bed. The bed was shaking. My little black schnauzer was sound asleep at the foot of the bed, she was not shaking it. I laid there feeling the bed shake and trying to figure our what was causing it. It felt like someone had one of the bed posts was shaking the bed with it. I was a little after 3am and I felt an urge to make a jonny visit so I got up and went to the bathroom. Nothing else was shaking. I returned to bed and settled back in' but the shaking was still evident. I laid there for a while and let the shaking loll me to sleep. The next morning the bed was quite still. The shaking bed is not unique, it has occurred my wife and I several times since we have lived here. I have no explaination for it.

I have had 7 house dogs in my lifetime. They were all schnauzers that lived from 7 to 18 years. Of all of these dogs only one liked to play with stuffed animals. That particular schnauzer was called "Rowdy" and he dearly loved to rough house those toys. Because he was the only one interested in such toys. I suppose I spoiled him with them. He must have had 30 or more. But only 3 or 4 were his favorites and his most favorite was a very colorful parrot. That parrot had a bulb type
squeeker that Rowdy had to really work at to get it to squawk.
One evening my wife walked into the dining room where the parrot lay in the floor and the bird ley out a loud squeak. Se comes into the den and tells me about it. Both dogs were with me in the den so they didn't make it squawk. Because of the type of squeeker it was we couldn't figure how the bulb could have been depressed to make the bird squeak.
Then about two weeks later, in bright daylight, I walked into the dining room and the parrot squeeked at me. t was in the floor, beside the dining room table. There was no dogs even near it. In fact the dogs were in the kitchen begging treats from my wife.
When we lost Rowdy we had the parrot buried with him. It was his favorite.

B
I have had 7 house dogs in my lifetime. They were all schnauzers that lived from 7 to 18 years. Of all of these dogs only one liked to play with stuffed animals. That particular schnauzer was called "Rowdy" and he dearly loved to rough house those toys. Because he was the only one interested in such toys. I suppose I spoiled him with them. He must have had 30 or more. But only 3 or 4 were his favorites and his most favorite was a very colorful parrot. That parrot had a bulb type
squeeker that Rowdy had to really work at to get it to squawk.
One evening my wife walked into the dining room where the parrot lay in the floor and the bird ley out a loud squeak. Se comes into the den and tells me about it. Both dogs were with me in the den so they didn't make it squawk. Because of the type of squeeker it was we couldn't figure how the bulb could have been depressed to make the bird squeak.
Then about two weeks later, in bright daylight, I walked into the dining room and the parrot squeeked at me. t was in the floor, beside the dining room table. There was no dogs even near it. In fact the dogs were in the kitchen begging treats from my wife.
When we lost Rowdy we had the parrot buried with him. It was his favorite.
Brig, I'm going to be unhappy when you reach the end of your files.

When I reach the end of my files there will still be an occasional episode. This house is far from quiet. It's just that we have become accustomed to a lot of its weirdness. The strangeness normally starts in the fall. Winter is sometimes active. spring is usually active but summer is usually rather quiet, though I've said that before and had things occur.

I'm still discussing things that occurred in 2015. One day last winter my wife had a doctors appointment so I had to run her store. The store was built in the mid 1800' and was originally a dry goods store then for a rather long time it served as a hardware store. My wife took the store over about 5 years ago. There are two salesrooms a backroom an office and a small curtained off area we use as a workroom.

The day had been cold and blustery all day and as a result I had only a few customers. Nonetheless by 5 o'clock (store closing) I was tired and ready to go home. I had spent the day in the main show room where we handle curtains, candles, better used furniture, antiques and home décor. As I had not been aware of anyone in the store over the last hour I felt safe in starting to close it down. I have to shut off display lights, open signs. and bring in any merchandise that is sitting outside. I had pretty much finished up closing the main salesroom and walked back to start closing down the second sales room which is totally different from the main room. This salesroom has a hodge -podge of various merchandise such as you might find in an Odd Lots or such as. I was just pulling the curtain that separated the sales floor from the work area when I noticed a rather large man, dark hair and wearing a heavy dark overcoat walking toward me up the center isle. I said, Oh excuse me, I didn't realize anyone was back here. I'll be with you in a moment" and I turned and pulled the curtain close on the work room. When I turned back around there was absolutely no one there. There is no way anyone could have walked past me and left the store in the few seconds I was occupied with the curtain. Yet I saw him clearly; a heavy set gentleman with dark hair, probably in his late forties or early fifties and wearing a heavy dark (navy or black) overcoat. I immediately checked the main salesroom and even outside. No sign of him anywhere. I was tired, maybe it was just fatique that conjured up the fellow. But I certainly thought I saw him.

Yet I saw him clearly; a heavy set gentleman with dark hair, probably in his late forties or early fifties and wearing a heavy dark (navy or black) overcoat. I immediately checked the main salesroom and even outside. No sign of him anywhere. I was tired, maybe it was just fatique that conjured up the fellow. But I certainly thought I saw him.
Did you have CCTV you could check on?

Did you have CCTV you could check on?
I fear we are simply low tech. A friend of ours put in cameras around her store (considerably larger tan ours) but she says it isn't worth the trouble. She says the law protects the shop lifter and prosecution costs more than the merchandise is worth. Still it might have been useful in convincing me I wasn't nuts. Our friend uses her surveillance to keep tabs on her employees. We don't have employees.

I didn't report much in 2016. Actually, I had only7 one notation and I'm quite skeptical of that one. I hadn't been home from the hospital for very long. I was busy reading and catching up on E mails and what not. Shadow was lying beside the desk chair I use for the computer. My wife was away taking care of her store.

As I was sitting at the computer I distinctly heard heavy footsteps going up the rear stairs. Looking at my watch I saw it was way early for my wife to be home and she does not move that fast nor that heavily. The way I felt, at that time, I didn't care to move so I let it pass. A few minutes later I heard the foot falls again, this time coming down the rear stairs. Shadow showed no interest whatever. Normally any one entering the house would be deafened by her protests. At first, I thought it is just the house. Yet the sound was very distinct. When the walking resumed back up the stairs again I did arm myself and walked to the foot of the rear stairs. Shadow followed me but showed no undue interest. I stood at the foot of the stairs for several minutes wondering if the sound of footsteps might once again descend the stairs. I saw nothing and I heard nothing.

Anyone coming into this house by any means other than a door is most unlikely. The doors were all locked and the location and shape of the windows and their location would be very difficult to enter. As, at the time, I was on seven medicines and Shadow did not seem in the least perturbed, I chalked it up to the medication.

I am using only two medication now and neither should result in hallucinations of any sort. I will report any strangeness hence forth. We are getting back to a normal routine, finally.

I didn't report much in 2016. Actually, I had only7 one notation and I'm quite skeptical of that one. I hadn't been home from the hospital for very long. I was busy reading and catching up on E mails and what not. Shadow was lying beside the desk chair I use for the computer. My wife was away taking care of her store.

As I was sitting at the computer I distinctly heard heavy footsteps going up the rear stairs. Looking at my watch I saw it was way early for my wife to be home and she does not move that fast nor that heavily. The way I felt, at that time, I didn't care to move so I let it pass. A few minutes later I heard the foot falls again, this time coming down the rear stairs. Shadow showed no interest whatever. Normally any one entering the house would be deafened by her protests. At first, I thought it is just the house. Yet the sound was very distinct. When the walking resumed back up the stairs again I did arm myself and walked to the foot of the rear stairs. Shadow followed me but showed no undue interest. I stood at the foot of the stairs for several minutes wondering if the sound of footsteps might once again descend the stairs. I saw nothing and I heard nothing.

Anyone coming into this house by any means other than a door is most unlikely. The doors were all locked and the location and shape of the windows and their location would be very difficult to enter. As, at the time, I was on seven medicines and Shadow did not seem in the least perturbed, I chalked it up to the medication.

I am using only two medication now and neither should result in hallucinations of any sort. I will report any strangeness hence forth. We are getting back to a normal routine, finally.

Sorry for the so far lack of response and thanks for the update Brig .. as you've mentioned medication, I still put down my experience of seeing shadow demons around my hospital bed to the medication I'd been given (it's a loooooong story) ... what I ended up doing at that time was hoping that was the case but just in case saying the Lord's Prayer .. I'm not especially religious but when I reopened my eyes, they were gone, no two ways about it .. that can also been explained away I expect in that my eyes were tired and so closing then reopening them made the experience improve. Tiredness mixed with medication can do strange things to your mind but fortunately I'm all better now.

You never know. I'm deeply religious; but yet the paranormal is not ruled out for there are things that we do not fully understand. As for "ghosts" I'm still open to the possibility. Perhaps my wife has the best take on that, in that, she thinks most ghostly happenings occur because strong emotions can leave an essence on an area that gets replayed if conditions are right. I'm fascinated by things paranormal because I simply want to know what is behind it all. It's a quest.

Your shadow demons are not unique. Others have reported similar events. They may have resulted due to medication, tiredness, etc. or then again maybe not.

My wife cannot explain the "ghost" pictures on our front stairs. That's one for the books. I can find no logical explanation for it.

You never know. I'm deeply religious; but yet the paranormal is not ruled out for there are things that we do not fully understand. As for "ghosts" I'm still open to the possibility. Perhaps my wife has the best take on that, in that, she thinks most ghostly happenings occur because strong emotions can leave an essence on an area that gets replayed if conditions are right. I'm fascinated by things paranormal because I simply want to know what is behind it all. It's a quest.

Your shadow demons are not unique. Others have reported similar events. They may have resulted due to medication, tiredness, etc. or then again maybe not.

My wife cannot explain the "ghost" pictures on our front stairs. That's one for the books. I can find no logical explanation for it.

Uh - did I miss some great ghost pictures on your front stairs?

I guess so. I've taken close to a thousand pictures on motion activated cameras but in only ONE scenerio did we get honest to goodness ghost pictures than cannot be explained away. There was a series of three showing me going upstairs (I thought I was alone) but beside me is this weird yellow whatever. Came as a real shock when we reviewed the camera. There was absolutely no one on those stairs but me. I was simply going upstairs on my own. The motion camera was set and I knew I'd be on it; however, I did not know I would be accompanied by something else. You will have to refer back on this topic to see the results. We were able to send those but have had no luck sending the interior pictures several have asked for.

I even went back through the topic to find the pictures but had no luck. Do any of you remember the page they were on?

No wonder I was going nuts trying to find it. Thanks!!!! Excuse the senior moment.

LB8535 to see the pictures of the "ghost" you will need to go to "Notes and Query " forum. Select "Spy Camera" and look for entry made on August 29th 2015. The entry will have several "Attachments" that when opened will show me (white shirt and dark trousers) with my back to the camera and going up the stairs with a really strange looking "ghost". The spy camera took three photos as we climbed the stairs. I was absolutely not aware that there was anyone or anything even near me when I went upstairs. Sorry, I had completely forgotten that I had posted those shots on a different forum. Again my thanks to Monstrosa for setting the record straight.

We have been getting some badly needed rain yesterday. First decent rain in over a month. Whether or not the weather had anything to do with what happened yesterday I cannot say.
I was sitting at the computer and Shadow was sacked out on the floor at my feet. My wife was working her store in another town. It was morning, around 10 am when the house was jarred by a loud rumble. Sounded like one of our chimneys had fallen onto the roof. Got both my and my dog's attention. Shadow jumped to attention but remained by my chair. Certainly sounded like a calamity. Thinking something had fallen on the roof I did an outside survey. It was raining lightly and was not a big bother. Everything about the roof looked just fine. I came back in and checked the house. As much racket as was made, I was sure I'd find something amiss. But I didn't. Not caring to borrow trouble I went back to reading my Email, etc. Then at about 2 pm as I was walking through the dining room a second window rattling crash occurred. I'm not certain where Shadow was but she came trotting in from the kitchen. Again, I went outside (it was still lightly raining) and checked the roof. This time the noise sounded like to came from the front of the house so I checked that area of the roof very closely. In fact, I got in my car and drove up to the state highway that runs above where my house sits. From this vantage point I could see the whole roof and everything looked just fine. I came back home and immediately checked out the interior of the house but found nothing out of place. When a noise is so loud it shakes the house, you have to think something is out of place. When you cannot find anything..... This occurs upon occasion here. I have written about it in the past. I didn't know then what happened and I have no idea now, what has happened.

My first thought is that these were claps of thunder. You say it was raining lightly, and you'd had some decent rain the day before. But it is (northern hemisphere) summer, and sun is hot- this creates thermals that can lead to Cumulonimbus clouds building up, thunder clouds. These often create hail as well, because of the icy temperatures at high altitudes.

What did the weatherman say?

The weather man did not mention thunderstorms. Actually this did not sound like thunder to me. Even when the large tree in our side yard lost a third of its height due to a lightning strike did not sound like these two crashes. Still, it is something to consider.
There is fracking going on in the area but so far we haven't experienced any tremors that I know of. The sound definitely was coming from overhead.
Thunder making the house shake would have had to be very close. But distant thunder was not evident at any time during the day. Shadow is scared silly by thunder, even distant thunder and she only reacted, as I did, to the sudden racket.

I finally got the spy camera set up at the foot of the front stairs. I decided against doing the rear stairs as that hall way is so dark, even in broad daylight, that I doubt anything would show up.

Only other thought is aircraft going through the sound barrier,
we get it here now and then as the area is used to test and low
flying by the RAF and BAE but it makes a double sort of boom
like B-Boom it seems a bit strange non of your neighbors have
mentioned it as though it only affects your property, maybe worth
asking them see if they hear the same noise.

My neighbors are deaf to any loud crashes. It has become a joke for my wife and I that locals never hear a loud crash. A few months after we moved here a fireworks factory, just outside the village, exploded killing one worker and injuring another. The blast was so loud we thought part of our house had collapsed. None of our neighbors heard a thing. The next day, our local paper had huge headlines about the explosion. When I brought it up to my neighbors again they just shrugged they didn't hear nothing but would have dismissed it as a truck back-fire anyway. Truck Backfire! Only if that truck was an Atlas Rocket.

Small ingrown villages are strange. Living in one, if you aren't born there. can be a real educational experience. I have lived here 37 years, served as mayor for 8, served on council for 18, and we are still considered "The new people". I have never figured out their strange aversion to loud noises (They all shoot off fireworks on Memorial day and the fourth). Nor can I figure their supposed ignorance to tunnels that run under the village. I know they are there, they are even mentioned in an old county history book (Wolf's History). One new neighbor (now deceased) accidently broke into one when he was trying to enlarge his basement. The local store (grocery) broke into another when it was installing a freezer unit in the basement. People who owned the biggest house in town claimed they had followed those tunnels from their house almost all the way to the center of the village. They said some side branches had collapsed beams and the spiders and rodents were so thick they gave up going any further. That family, was also not local, and has since moved to Florida. The present owner knows nothing about any tunnels; or so they say. According to wolfs history because the village was on what was then the frontier and on the only road west (Old National Road) the area was pretty rough. The road was dirt and almost impassable at various times of the year. Businesses and owners had tunnels constructed from their place of business across the Old National Road to their residences or in some cases to other businesses. So we know the tunnels exist, even if the locals "Don't know no such thing".

While I was mayor, the village road crew broke into one of the tunnels while repairing a storm sewer. But none of those brave souls were willing to see where it went. Besides they needed to fix the break before we had another storm. I have a very strong suspicion that our house also has an entrance to these tunnels but I have never managed to find it. As the house sits on a foundation of granite blocks weighing several hundred pounds the tunnel must be very cleverly hidden.

I already know the house sits on a natural spring. The spring was deliberate because in 1857 there was no refrigeration and the spring was used to keep milk and other products cool and retard spoilage. Several attempts to divert the spring were unsuccessful including one I instigated. We no longer have a pool of water in the main basement room but the room is continually wet. I'm not sure how tunnels would fare with a spring close at hand; but I suppose a way may have presented itself to the builders of the house and tunnels. I'm sure I'd get constant readings from dousing rods, assuming I knew how to use them. So I doubt they'd be of much use in finding the tunnel.

Back