• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

In thr 1920's a Ford repair shop sat on the north eastern quadrant of my property. A college student wanted to see what he could find with a metal detector (hopeing for old coins). I said go ahead. All he could find was bits of old ford parts. Actually I thought my garage sat where the repair shop was, but they must have thrown their junk far and wide around it. The summer has been very dry. If I didn't have a cistern I wouldn't have a garden this year. There is a site you can go to see satellight photos of your property. I have seen it in the past; not sure I remember the site, My wife may. The idea is a thought. I have no idea how to use divining rods.

There is a site you can go to see satellight photos of your property. I have seen it in the past; not sure I remember the site, My wife may. The idea is a thought.
Most Map progs allow you to toggle between different map types and aerial and satellite views, etc.
I mostly use Bing Maps https://www.bing.com/mapspreview?FORM=Z9LH3 but you may find something else more useful to you.

For the sake of sanity I am going to assume your thunderclap theory is the most likely solution to the weird noises that I experienced last week. While two isolated but very loud rolling thunderclaps occurring several hours apart seems very unusual; it is not an impossibility.

Actually I do know a few West Virginians who are called upon on, on a regular basis, to locate water for wells. They wouldn't be so popular if they didn't have a decent find rate. I guess maybe it's my own general doubt as to the effectiveness of dowsing that effects my own failure to do so. I had one fellow try to show me how to dowse. I never could do it. You gotta wonder if there is any sciene behind i t or are certain people just lucky or otherwise smart in environmental ways.

LB8535 to see the pictures of the "ghost" you will need to go to "Notes and Query " forum. Select "Spy Camera" and look for entry made on August 29th 2015. The entry will have several "Attachments" that when opened will show me (white shirt and dark trousers) with my back to the camera and going up the stairs with a really strange looking "ghost". The spy camera took three photos as we climbed the stairs. I was absolutely not aware that there was anyone or anything even near me when I went upstairs. Sorry, I had completely forgotten that I had posted those shots on a different forum. Again my thanks to Monstrosa for setting the record straight.

Thanks, I finally got around to looking at them. Wondering if it could be some kind of artifact related to your trousers right next to them, but I know nothing of photography. It really does look as though the two of you are about to break into a Nicholas Brothers routine on the stairs.

I'm not familiar with the Nicholas Brothers routine. But As I was not aware of the "other" enity it would have been difficult to do any sort of routine. But you reminded me that I need to check the spy camera and see if anything new appears.

Before proceeding with my question, could anyone point me to a thread that has covered the 'Most Haunted' tv series with Yvette Cooper '.

The Search facility here doesn't show anything. Maybe I am not using it correctly.

INT21

Before proceeding with my question, could anyone point me to a thread that has covered the 'Most Haunted' tv series with Yvette Cooper '.

The Search facility here doesn't show anything. Maybe I am not using it correctly.

INT21
No wonder Labour can't come up with any decent oppositioning if they're all wasting their time moonlighting on the telly. Mind you, her husband is one of the most irritating arseholes to draw breath - and yes, thank you, I know how respiration works - so your man Acorah would be like water off a duck's back to her.

If, on the other hand, you're after the far inferior production with Yvette Fielding, then this might be the thread you want.

Thanks, that answers the question.. And the one I was going to ask.

INT21

I'm glad Krepostnoi answered your query. I never heard of any of them. But that's not surprising; though I've lived in a couple of really strange houses; I'm still new to the ghost hunting business.

This occurs upon occasion here. I have written about it in the past. I didn't know then what happened and I have no idea now, what has happened.

does sound like thunder?Really enjoyed your account, especially the driving up to get a look at the roof! If it happens again you could maybe build up data on weather conditions and so on?

We finally got a good rain today (Sunday) about an inch and a half. It was a thunderstorm and a couple of ground shaking thunder rolls sounded like they were on top of us. My dog was having a fit. Had a hideous time calming her down. But those cras
hes of thunder did not sound the same as the two last week. But that could be because of numerous factors.

Checked out the front hall spy camera. There were 239 shots on it. Several of me and a couple taken by the camera as I was moving it around. A lot of dark shots that show nothing and a few that has light flashes of various sorts. The little monitor that I use is too small and lacks clarity. I'm going to need to take some ti9me to set up my monitor to the computer screen and enlarge some of them to see if I can figure what the heck is tripping the camera.

You are dealing with a computeridiot here. Much as I hate to admit it; I have no idea what you are talking about. I taught school for 40 years BC (that's Before Computers). My last two years the administration brought in computers. They suggested we (teachers) play with them and learn how to use them. They didn't offer us any classes. One day, I was n a kindergarten class the children were busy, so I figured I'd try my luck on their computer. Very soon I locked the thing up. A chubby little kindergarten boy saw my problem; waddled over, punched a couple of keys, and set the thing straight again. I was already thinking about retirement. Then I went to a Home Coming at the first school I taught. A young girl, roughly 7 or 8 years old walked up to me and said, "Are you Mr. -----?" I aid "I am" and she replied, "You had my grandmother in Kindergarten."

So you can see you are dealing with ancient history here. I would love to have someone in the know go over these shots and see what, if anything, of interest exists there.

I just checked the spy camera. It has 289 photos on it. That's 40 more than the last time. Several are of me locating the camera and walking down the stairs. The rest are of an empty staircase, blanks, and light streaks that are probably made when I moved the camera. I bought a new chip and installed it and placed the camera again between the wings of a fairy statue and aimed up the front stairs. Anyone have any suggestions?

Remember the phrase,"If it wasn't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all?" I think I told you that my wife (much younger than I) knows a good deal more about computers than I do. She had got things caught up and was planning on giving me aq hand getting photos, etc onto the forum. This a.m. as she was leaving the house she caught her foot on something and took a bad spill breaking her wrist. I have spent the day with her at the hospital. I guess it will still be a while before we can update the forum. Sorry about that. I do have the camera set up to shoot up the stairs. Probably won't be able to see if anything appears before tomorrow or Friday.

I have spent the day with her at the hospital. I guess it will still be a while before we can update the forum.

ouch! Poor Mrs Brig :(

We've changed her name to Calamity Jane. She has had a bad year. Ever try to dress one handed? She still insists on running her store. She'll get a cast on Monday.

We had an old crybaby bridge outside of town. Instead of a baby a black guy named Leroy was lynched there back in the day. Kind of an Emmitt Till + Crybaby bridge thing.

It's in the middle of nowhere, but still gets a ton of people heading out. I love to stop by whenever I can.

Dunbaraj you say a man was lynched on cry baby bridge; but you don't report anything unusual occurring there today. Is there any paranormal activity happening there now?

I had an odd experience Sunday night. My wife and I had been rather busy during the day. After Church we took the dog out for a drive in the country. She goes wild at the sight of farm animals, deer and Amish buggies. When we got back we were rather tired. I went upstairs to the Master bead room and my wife stayed downstairs to catch up on her E mail on the computer in the Library. Our dog, who was pretty much barked out, went upstairs with me and sacked out at the foot of the bed. I just laid down on top of the covers thinking I'd read for a while before going back downstairs. Keep in mind this old brick house we own has all brick walls, having been built in 1857 with in walking distance of a brick making works. The walls are thick (3 or 4 bricks thick) in areas I have been able to check, The windows are closed due to the hot humid weather we have been experiencing this summer and our air conditioners are at maximum. This summer has been very hot, days on end with very little rain. Normally our high ceilings and bricks keep the place cool, but after a while even the interior heats up. The main bed room is in the very front, second story of the house. The computer is on the first floor in the Library which sits in the east wing of the house (The Dining room id dead center and the Library is next to it). Which is to say, I was well away from where my wife was.
I had read about two pages of my book when I thought I heard my wife call me. My dogs ears went up but she made no move to leave. I wasn't sure what I heard so I simply listened. Again, this time more clearly I heard my name called. It sounded like my wife. My wife has a serious leg problem and a broken wrist which impedes her moving about easily. My dog still was listening but normally she would go investigate, but she hadn't. I figured I'd better go see what was wrong. Shadow did follow me downstairs, beside me rather than ahead of me as would be normal. I went down the rear stairs and through the dining room and into the Library. My wife was sitting at the computer and looked up, saying, "Whats wrong?" I replied, "I thought you called me". She replied, "Nope, are you sure?" At that point I wasn't sure of anything. This isn't the first time I have heard my name called out with no one around. It has happened a few times over the 40 plus years that we've lived here. This time, at least, I had a witness. Shadow, my dog, reacted to the call, not normally perhaps, but enough that I know she heard it. I just wish that whatever called my name would just once tell me what it wants.

I checked out my spy camera today. Another big disappointment. There were 18 new shots but 9 of them were of me or portions of my attire. The other 9 were very dark even though I left the hallway overhead light on. This seems strange in that I use to get fairly good shots with that light on, even if, except on one occasion, there was nothing of interest in the pictures. I probably need new batteries in the camera so I will need to reload the batteries before I attempt any new pictures. I'm just not sure where I will set the camera this time. The foot of the front stairs doesn't seem to be good anymore. Halloween is upcoming. I need to really give it some serious thought.

Halloween is upcoming. I need to really give it some serious thought.
Is that a tongue-in-cheek remark, or do you actually experience an uptick in strangeness at Halloween?

I guess that depends on your viewpoint. Three to five years ago, at Halloween I got numerous shots with what some people refer to as "Orbs" During the days leading up to Halloween and a couple there after; but no other time except three or four shots taken on Christmas day one year. I'm considered a semi professional photographer because I often shot pictures while working for a newspaper (not my official assignment), Did most of the pictures in a college yearbook, and was the official photographer for three years at a college newspaper. I'm not bragging, just showing that I do have some experience in photography. At both the local and the school newspaper I did my own darkroom work.
I know what causes most orb shots. Dust and debry in the air will cause a flash back or orb. These orbs have a solid white or off white look about them. Winding film in the old film type cameras were known, on rare occasion, to cause a static spark that registered on the negative in various ways.. The orbs I was registering on BOTH a digital and film type camera were round, semi translucent in the center and had a definite border inclosing it. I have seen this type orb in other peoples photographs. I have seen BOTH types of orb in a few photographs supposedly taken of "ghosts". I'm not sure what they are. I have consulted with other professional photographers and they too are perplexed but most, not all, think it's some sort of malfunction in the processing or camera.

I just thought it interesting that I only got the transparent type orb around Halloween. Possible coincidence. Oh, I did, one year get a couple orb shots one Christmas day. So like I said, its a matter of opinion whether you put any stock in this type of photograph. As far as other unexplained happenings occurring at Halloween; so far in over 40 years, Halloween is very uneventful. We have mobs of little ghosties and ghoulies that trick or treat us so we nay just be too busy to notice.
I just especially set up my camera close to Halloween simply because for three years I got orbs. It was interesting that they appeared on BOTH digital and film cameras. The past three years I have gotten nothing unusual.

There is an old precivil war cemetery in sight of my house. The oldest stone, I have found, is 1795 of a ten year old boy. I have been tempted to try shots in that cemetery. I guess my fear is that locals will give me a hard time even though they proudly point out my house as haunted. Three Confederate soldiers from Morgan's raiders are buried in that cemetery. We honor them every veterans day right along with all the other veterans buried there. I always say I'm going to set up a camera there but I never do. Go figure.

I just thought it interesting that I only got the transparent type orb around Halloween. Possible coincidence. Oh, I did, one year get a couple orb shots one Christmas day. So like I said, its a matter of opinion whether you put any stock in this type of photograph. As far as other unexplained happenings occurring at Halloween; so far in over 40 years, Halloween is very uneventful. We have mobs of little ghosties and ghoulies that trick or treat us so we nay just be too busy to notice.
I just especially set up my camera close to Halloween simply because for three years I got orbs. It was interesting that they appeared on BOTH digital and film cameras. The past three years I have gotten nothing unusual.
Yes, definitely interesting, although I can't really offer any hypothesis beyond invoking our old friend the Cosmic Joker, which is not really any sort of hypothesis at all. Thank you too for explaining the difference in the orbs you were documenting.
There is an old precivil war cemetery in sight of my house. The oldest stone, I have found, is 1795 of a ten year old boy. I have been tempted to try shots in that cemetery. I guess my fear is that locals will give me a hard time even though they proudly point out my house as haunted. Three Confederate soldiers from Morgan's raiders are buried in that cemetery. We honor them every veterans day right along with all the other veterans buried there. I always say I'm going to set up a camera there but I never do. Go figure.
Is the cemetery so frequently visited that your photographic endeavours are certain to be noticed? Could you create a cover story saying simply you want to record the monumental masonry in the cemetery, or the names of the individuals laid to rest there? Or does your house mean you have a reputation that would precede you?

I worked in a cemetery for 21 years and even though I was there
at all hours and often alone I never knowingly saw a ghost or had
one reported to me perverts yes ghosts no, did have a report of
a ghost attacking a couple but that was not in the cem or a ghost.
I do believe and am sure I have seen them but don't think your more
likely to see them In a Cem or in the dark or at night, I just think
think your very lucky or unlucky depending on your outlook.

Almost the whole village is with in sight of the cemetery. I have long suspected that drug deals take place there at night. Yes there are "locked" gates on the place but they are never locked in the morning though I, for years, locked them at night. Yes I changed locks frequently and for a time I was the only key holder, but it made no difference. Did I ever see a drug deal go down? Nope, I can't say that I did. Maybe the towns spooks just don't like to be locked in at night. The whole town knows I'm the guy that lives in the "haunted House". That's funny because of the stories I have heard almost every old house (half of them built prior to the civil war) are haunted. Two, that I know of, appear to be far more haunted than mine. One of them is owned and lived in by a minister and his family. I worry more about drug spooks than real spooks.

My spy and trail cameras only seem to work when they feel like it. When I checked the spy camera it had nothing additional on it, but the batteries were almost exhausted. The trail camera was "working ""when I set it up and even showed on its screen that a picture was taken when I walked in front of it. But my monitor showed no shots taken, a total clean screen. Perhaps the new chip I put in it was the wrong kind or something. It looked like the old chip. I used regular batteries in the spy camera, they didn't last. Today I picked up alkaline batteries, I'll try it again. I'll try using a different chip in the Trail camera before I give up on it.

Almost the whole village is with in sight of the cemetery. I have long suspected that drug deals take place there at night. Yes there are "locked" gates on the place but they are never locked in the morning though I, for years, locked them at night. Yes I changed locks frequently and for a time I was the only key holder, but it made no difference. Did I ever see a drug deal go down? Nope, I can't say that I did. Maybe the towns spooks just don't like to be locked in at night. The whole town knows I'm the guy that lives in the "haunted House". That's funny because of the stories I have heard almost every old house (half of them built prior to the civil war) are haunted. Two, that I know of, appear to be far more haunted than mine. One of them is owned and lived in by a minister and his family. I worry more about drug spooks than real spooks.

If the cemetery is in sight of the whole village then wouldn't that be the dumbest place to carry out a drug deal? Also, if you're in a village then how many people are realistically going to be taking drugs?
I'm curious about these "locked" gates opening. What type of lock are we talking about? Most cemetery's I know either have gates with a big old-fashioned mortise lock, or they're locked by means of chain and padlock.

If the cemetery is in sight of the whole village then wouldn't that be the dumbest place to carry out a drug deal? Also, if you're in a village then how many people are realistically going to be taking drugs?
I'm curious about these "locked" gates opening. What type of lock are we talking about? Most cemetery's I know either have gates with a big old-fashioned mortise lock, or they're locked by means of chain and padlock.
Ok, you have pretty much described our gate and pad lock. Keep in mind, this is a very small village 380 people plus or minus 10. There are no lights in the cemetery. Or as one resident has said, "What for? Dead people don't need lights." Also, I have sat on the upper tier of our porch on many occasions on warm summer nights, and watched car headlights proceed up to the cemetery and the lights go out. Later, coming out of the cemetery, the car lights are again visible. Heavy duty pad locks are used. How they become open, I have no idea, not being a locksmith. I gathered up the courage to go up to the cemetery one night, the lock was open. So I started rattling the chains preparing to relock it. A car came, down over the rise in the cemetery. The car stopped at the gate and only a man was in he car, alone. He said he understood the cemetery was always open and the late visits to his wife's grave was necessary because of where he worked. He was alone and as I had no evidence of drug dealing I couldn't very much do anything anyway. The man was about as seedy as they come with a scraggly unkept full beard. His car appeared to be on its last legs; as scraggly has he was. I suppose the best way to not be noticed is in this fashion I don't think those gates have been locked since I left office. Not that I blame the newer administration. I was quickly learning you couldn't keep them locked. I did report my views to the county sheriff who informed me they were stretched to the breaking point and could not afford to assign anyone to watching that grave yard. He also said cemeteries are great places for drug deals to go down. He has his point, this area is so backwater they consider the "Boon Docks" to be big time. When I moved here in "79 there was no drug problem. But did have skillions of drunks and a lot of it was homemade. I guess if people are out to main, poison, and kill themselves, no one can really stop them This is why I do not go into the cemetery after dark. Actually when you think about it, if they would just relock the gates when they are finished; they would be far less noticeable.

Back