• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

"which is located roughly ten moles from our home."

I do like the idea of using animals as units of measure. As in "the fog was so thick, visibility was down to around six cats (or 10 if they're kittens)".

Nice story BTW! Any previous ghostly activity or accounts of nefarious activity by previous occupants there?

Last edited:
I had an interesting experience today. I had to run my wife's store which is located roughly ten moles from our home.

The mole is the unit of measurement in the International System of Units (SI) for amount of substance. It is defined as the amount of a chemical substance that contains as many elementary entities, e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons, or photons, as there are atoms in 12 grams of carbon-12 (12C), the isotope of carbon with relative atomic mass 12 by definition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mole_(unit)

:p

or a "mole" can be a mis spelled "mile". Then, again, when you get old and sloppy with the keyboard who knows what might come up?

The building was originally a general sore back in the early to mid 1800's. It morphed into a hardware store in the early 1900's and was such for many decades.. The hardware people finally moved to larger quarters and the old building went through several businesses, all of short duration. One of the last being a motorcycle shop which went belly-up then a local lady opened a second hand store which lasted a little over a year. We opened our business there about 5 years ago. We have had several weird experiences over those years, but have not heard of any from previous owners. But on the other hand we have not brought up the subject to them either. Maybe we should.

I used to live in this building (in the below google street view link), the top floor flat to be exact because my mate owned it .. it was a chip shop back then ('96 to '97) as well as a bistro on the middle floor .. the most, without a doubt, haunted place I've ever lived in (I've only possibly lived in two including this one depending on whether you think ghosts are bullshit or not) .. everybody had unexplainable experiences here ... strange dreams, sudden cold spots, hearing footsteps and furniture being dragged around, sudden feelings of depression that instantly stopped when you walked away from areas, actual viewings of apparitions, switches being switched on and off when it was physically impossible, an old guy who used to work there who refused to go into the top floor bathroom, candle flames that suddenly went horizontal in that same room with no chance that it was a draft ... in the 60's, the owners wife committed suicide because he was having an affair ... somehow, we all felt it was a female ghost before I learned that through a local girlfriend .. we were that sure, we even left a shot of Jack Daniels on the bar that we'd just finished building one night as a mark of respect.

It seems to be run by a company called Eden now .. I'm tempted to phone them and try not to sound like too much of a nutter when I ask them if any ghostly experiences have been reported by staff and the like since ....

3 Mill Street, Oakham, Rutland. This building used to be a flour mill according to the old guy who refused to go into our top stairs bathroom .... he worked in it when he was a kid and we hired him as an old man when we had it as a chip shop. That same room was where I saw the horizontal candle flames. My bedroom was the top room of the building in this link, my room was where I dreamt about the suicidal woman's situation before I'd been told about her.

https://www.instantstreetview.com/@52.669358,-0.726776,108.31h,-12.81p,0z

Last edited:
Swifty, I have found that a slow approach works best for asking about previous experiences in an old building. Like, say acknowledging that you understand they use to occupy that building. If its an old building you might confirm its history and then as an aside you might say, "Ever have any unusual experiences there?" They may laugh and say " You mean ghosts?" To which you reply, "Anything that just seemed strange?"
Usually they ask if you experienced anything weird and that's why you are asking? If you volunteer an experience and they see you are not pulling their leg, you could get considerable information.

I need to apologize. I said we hadn't asked any of the store's previous owners if they had had any strange experiences. I had forgotten my wife had asked the lady she bought the store from if she had had any weird encounters and she replied "Only the customers". The ole gal is very straight laced and I doubt anything less than "Marley" would have made an impression on her.

That was Jacob Marley from the Charles Dickens story I was referring to.

Didn't intend to cut you off Swifty. I have to write while my mind is operational. I will tell you this in all sincerity. Most people think ghosts are "Bullshit" until they see or experience one. Even then, like Ebenezer Scrooge, they'll think it was all indigestion. But once indigestion is ruled out..... you've got a new believer.

I have seen enough, and heard enough, and smelled enough of the strange to believe there is something beyond our five senses. I won't say ghosts are spirits of the dead but I won't say they are not. My wife believes strong emotions are imprinted on objects or areas and will play back if conditions are right. I have no idea what they are. I just know they are.

Didn't intend to cut you off Swifty. I have to write while my mind is operational. I will tell you this in all sincerity. Most people think ghosts are "Bullshit" until they see or experience one. Even then, like Ebenezer Scrooge, they'll think it was all indigestion. But once indigestion is ruled out..... you've got a new believer.

I have seen enough, and heard enough, and smelled enough of the strange to believe there is something beyond our five senses. I won't say ghosts are spirits of the dead but I won't say they are not. My wife believes strong emotions are imprinted on objects or areas and will play back if conditions are right. I have no idea what they are. I just know they are.
I couldn't agree more Brig, my own experiences reinforce the theory that these experiences are replays of past events which is remarkable enough in itself.

I was told a few days ago that the Ferry Cafe at Fleetwood is haunted by a male
ghost that walks across the cafe and into the lades loo, he is also seen inside
the lades, I used to work near there and called in many times still do now and
then but never seen a thing myself.
There is also supposed to be a tunnel that runs under there some think it was
to do with smuggling but though I think it exists I think it was built so luggage
could be got to and from the North Euston Hotel and the Rail station without
moving it through the streets.

RaM I live in an old (for America) village that was built in the late 1700's on the Old National Road that, at one time, was the only road west. The old pike was dirt, full of horse manure and even worse and was unbearable in wet weather. Businesses were built on both sides of the road. Early on these businesses tunneled under the road for access to the other side. Those old tunnels still exist though, for what ever reason, some of the present residents will become quite bellicose if anyone mentions their present existence. Even though they are frequently exposed by accident in building or other excavation work.

I am sure many people know and see things that due to wanting a quiet normal life
they would rather not be known, probably see others that are interested in such
things as slightly weird and would rather not have them take a interest in anything
to do with them. cant blame them at all.

Last edited:
I am sure many people know and see things that due to wanting a quiet normal life
they would rather not be known, probably see others that are interested in such
things as slightly weird and would rather not have them take a interest in anything
to do with them. cant blame them at all.

Yup, the former Mr Snail was one such. He was constantly haunted during our marriage (phantom drips, ghostly cat, mindreading etc) but refused to accept any of it. Drove him a bit nuts, to be honest. Should've accepted it and gone with the flow instead of kicking off.

Perhaps you cannot blame them but I get really riled at hose sniggering snobs that make fun of a phantom report without even reading into it. I admit in my younger days I tended to think people who saw ghosts were (1) Tipsy, (2) trying to tell a scary story (3) pulling your leg or (4) were the nervous type with vivid imaginations. But I do not ever remember making fun of them. Usually a simple "I don't believe in ghosts" was adequate. But after I experienced my first ghostly activities that all changed. I'm still trying to figure out just what causes ghostly activities; but I no longer doubt the fact that thre are ghostly activities whatever causes them.

Reactions: RaM
but I no longer doubt the fact that thre are ghostly activities whatever causes them.
^This^, but for myself I lean towards an top-down interpretation (in the brain) of more mundane things that look enough like 'something' to be interpreted as 'something'. I've no doubt people have seen ghosts and they were real to them, but I'm very sceptical of photgraphs of the same. Although some photographs when deconstructed to illustrate quite nicely how the brain is designed to 'see' people and faces and will fill in the gaps in an extraordinary way.

Some ghosts I think are entirely visual reconstructions. A place might have a set of lighting conditions that can be briefly interpreted as a 'grey lady climbing the stairs' for example, and once the story is abroad each successive 'seer' interprets using the story of the 'grey lady climbing the stairs' as a baseline. It's suggestive that many ghosts are grey drab things that make no sound.

Some others I believe are triggered by smells, by odours we can't consciously detect but the Jacobson's Organ picks up on and relays to the limbic brain. As many of these odours are bound up with hormones and 'other people', it seems a strong candidate for the triggering of interpretations of simulacra phenomena as phantoms, or on a lower level, a strong sense of not being alone, (often in a bad way).

(So for a 'grey lady' we might be looking for a chemical exuded by moulds or old wood or stonework that is suggestive of a female presence)

In then end, if someone truthfully tells you they saw a ghost, that you can't see it or explain it, doesn't mean they didn't see it. However it doesn't mean it was an entity in it's own right either.

The latter point is the stumbling block for many as the frailty of our own senses, especially sight, is not something people want to confront. If their phantom wasn't real, what else isn't?

A sound theory coal. One of my most troubling experiences occurred in the early days in a store my wife had just purchased. The store had been a hardware store for decades. It was buil tin the early to mid 1800's as a general merchandise store but quickly converted to a hardware store. The store, today. has three large rooms. Two rooms served as showrooms and the further most rear room is the backroom for storage and supply. One of the showrooms has been divided by a heavy curtain and serves, generally, as an office. It has a desk and chair, a table, a small refrigerator, a microwave oven.
I was once seated at the desk pricing some articles when I was suddenly overwhelmed by a sickeningly sweet floral oder so strong it almost drove me out of the area. I was quick to check and see if I had spilt or broken something. At that time we were not selling perfume or any other such concoction. Nothing was found and the scent quickly faded away with out a trace. Approximately one week later my wife had the same experience in only a slightly different part of the room. We have never had the experience since. It took several months to accidently come up with a possible explanation. When the store was till a hardware store, they had an employee who had a serious body oder problem, which at that time, she tried to cover up with strong smelling perfume. This may or may not be the answer. But as no broken bottles of floral scented liquid were ever found; what other explanation might you suggest?

Gee, Naughty, I love doing Christmas and all of the traditions that go along with it. But the past two years the wife and I have been in such rotten health that we haven't got to do anything for the season Better luck next year. But, yes, I know several people who allow the season to pass. That is, of course, their choice and for whatever reason I respect that.

We live near the sea, some years back we kept getting this very strong smell of fish,
it was only present for short times but was incredibly strong, this went on for weeks
I even checked the loft and asked neighbors if they were cooking fish we don't so it was
a mystery, the wife had a old victorian lace top and for some reason thought it was
something strange about that but removing it had no effect.
Then one evening she set off for work and has she went out the smell started, she had
left the hall light on and turning it off stopped the smell, it was the plastic skirt when it
got hot, incredible how quick the smell came and went on switching the light, why after
being fitted for years it had started then I dont know but fitting a new one cured it,
not a unusual thing by all accounts but a new to me and shows how things like this
can be a mystery and hard to track down.

One strange story about Fleetwood that I have been told two or three times
by different people is of the fishing boat that came home alone, the story
goes that the boat was seen coming down the channel and came alongside
the dock in it's usual place, only after no one came ashore did people working
on the dock go and see what was going on and found no one on board, I seem
to remember that when they set out to fish in Morecambe Bay there were 3
on board and at least 2 were brothers, but after much searching no bodys were
ever found and it remained a complete mystery, not lest of which being how
the boat came home, the channel being subject to very strong tides and currents
as well as having a sharp dog leg at the Fleetwood end, and a sand bar at the other,
many competent crews in powerful boats have ended up aground I have seen quite
a few over the years, have been searching the net for any info on this but not
turned anything up, though the family still lives in the area by all accounts.
The trawler below his a Spanish boat that came to grief and was cut up for scrap
were she lay at the entrance to the dock channel, some of it's crew were later
shown on one of those airport things trying to board a plane to Spain with no
money or tickets.

Last edited:
It all sounds fishy to me. Yeah, I know, I could of talked all day without that old saw. In this case I'd say the boat was scuttled for some, probably, illegal reason. But who knows?

Well RaM so far we have never located a source for that sudden, lingering for 2 or 3 minutes, floral scent that nearly sent us packing. That's been some time ago now. Your experience points out the numerous possibilities for similar occurances.

Roche Abbey in Rotherham is said to be quite active as is Consbrough Castle in Doncaster.
A fellow club have investigated a few private properties in my hometown of Maltby, Rotherham.
The South Yorkshire Aircraft museum in Doncaster is haunted too but they charge big if anyone wishes to investigate which rules out nonprofit groups.

I'm always highly skeptical of people who want paid if a group desires to test their areas for "ghosts" or whatever. In my case I'd welcome professional or semi professional ghost busters because I'd just curious enough to want to know what is going on. I wouldn't pay to have it done nor would I expect to be paid for them doing it.

Someone remind me of this thing in the pub in Norfolk. Schole or something similar.

INT21

Locally, native Americans did not use the many lava tubes in my area. Caves were entrances to the underworld and had evil spirits inside.

There is one small lava tube, basically just a small hole or crack in the rocky ground, adjacent to a recent (post contact era) native cemetary. Even today, tribal members will not walk anywhere near the mouth of the tube. I did once, after attending the funeral of a tribal elder. Just randomly walking around the perimeter of the cemetary and I suddenly got a real weird feeling, anxious, scared, like a premonition of something horrible about to happen. I also got nausea and chills. I wandered back to the main group and mentioned I suddenly felt ill, and an elder said she noticed I was near the portal (her words) and is probably why. Then I noticed I no longer felt ill, and was fine.
I keep intending to return to that hole and check it out in more detail. Haven't yet.

Locally, native Americans did not use the many lava tubes in my area. Caves were entrances to the underworld and had evil spirits inside.

There is one small lava tube, basically just a small hole or crack in the rocky ground, adjacent to a recent (post contact era) native cemetary. Even today, tribal members will not walk anywhere near the mouth of the tube. I did once, after attending the funeral of a tribal elder. Just randomly walking around the perimeter of the cemetary and I suddenly got a real weird feeling, anxious, scared, like a premonition of something horrible about to happen. I also got nausea and chills. I wandered back to the main group and mentioned I suddenly felt ill, and an elder said she noticed I was near the portal (her words) and is probably why. Then I noticed I no longer felt ill, and was fine.
I keep intending to return to that hole and check it out in more detail. Haven't yet.
Maybe gases still coming out of the lava tube?

Back