• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Most Haunted Places In Your Home Town

I just a moment or so ago had the strangest experience. I am home alone, unless you count my dog Shadow. Shadow is asleep on her pillow in the Dining room. I'm sitting at the computer in the Library which is adjacent to the Dining room. I hear the sound of running feet overhead in our second story hall way. The sound is of someone running in bare feet or wearing sox. The sound is not of shoes. I have the impression the sound is female rather than male. Why I think that is questionable; it is just my impression.

The house is locked up tight. I'm in for the night unless I take Shadow out again before bedtime. The running steps go down the hall and stop. There is no further sound. I would go and investigate it but I know nothing will be evident. Just an old house making strange noises. I just wish I knew what goes on to make such sounds. How the house does it. Yes there is a bit of wind tonight. Nothing severe, just a cold breeze blowing that requires going outside with a light jacket to be comfortable. No one in this house is even capable of running except Shadow and she wouldn't make enough noise for it to carry downstairs or even upstairs for that matter.

I just a moment or so ago had the strangest experience. I am home alone, unless you count my dog Shadow. Shadow is asleep on her pillow in the Dining room. I'm sitting at the computer in the Library which is adjacent to the Dining room. I hear the sound of running feet overhead in our second story hall way. The sound is of someone running in bare feet or wearing sox. The sound is not of shoes. I have the impression the sound is female rather than male. Why I think that is questionable; it is just my impression. The house is locked up tight. I'm in for the night unless I take Shadow out again before bedtime. The running steps go down the hall and stop. There is no further sound. I would go and investigate it but I know nothing will be evident. Just an old house making strange noises. I just wish I knew what goes on to make such sounds. How the house does it. Yes there is a bit of wind tonight. Nothing severe, just a cold breeze blowing that requires going outside with a light jacket to be comfortable. No one in this house is even capable of running except Shadow and she wouldn't make enough noise for it to carry downstairs or even upstairs for that matter.
You've had incidents in the upstairs hall before. Have you ever had a medium in to see what's going on? If it were me, I would be curious as to who else was there.

I live in a small town call Bedworth Warkshire, We have a Tesco built on two haunted locations, haunted roads, haunted houses etc. The old school bell from Gorge Street School still rings even through the big Tesco store and garage now stand their and the grey lady and the hanging man still area and then there is Rosie, lets says she a powerful one. We even have a pub were a murder occured.

1: Tesco - Hanging Man, Phantom Bells, Rosie, haunted wheel chair
2: Wotton Street - Ghostly horse drawn funeral parade
3: A444 - Grey lady crossing the road
4: Rabbit Lane - Grey/White Lady
5: Newtown Road - Ghost crossing the road by the factor who disappears by a tree
6: Park Road-Newton Road Flat: Poltergeist
7: Church Walk: Ghost seen around the area - various
8: Bedworth Church: Music coming from head stones, Vampire legend
9: Aidi Site: Possible murder of a man who fell form the old superstore that was their
10: Civic Hall: Various Ghosts
11: Bedworth Library/Council Office: Haunted by a Monkey killed in a fire.

And these are only the a few of the stories

Bed-uff! I'm surprised there's only one murder pub, that town is THE place to go if you want a good hiding. Even people from Rugby fear Bed-uff.

Lb you just gave me an idea. Why not set the spy camera aimed down that hall? Only problem is that hall is so danged dark even in the daytime I'm not sure anything will show up except maybe me taking a dash for the jon.

BTW Lb, I'm not aware of any real mediums in this area. There is a "Ghost buster" outfit in the next town but from what I've seen of them they are very much "wanna bes".

Lb you just gave me an idea. Why not set the spy camera aimed down that hall? Only problem is that hall is so danged dark even in the daytime I'm not sure anything will show up except maybe me taking a dash for the jon.
Try a nightvision camera.

BTW Lb, I'm not aware of any real mediums in this area. There is a "Ghost buster" outfit in the next town but from what I've seen of them they are very much "wanna bes".

I know you've lived there for a while. Many mediums don't come out publicly, perhaps you could start gentle conversations with acquaintances about your interest in spirits and see if anyone suggests anyone, without making people think that you're in incipient dementia.

Bed-uff! I'm surprised there's only one murder pub, that town is THE place to go if you want a good hiding. Even people from Rugby fear Bed-uff.

I only given a short list, there is many more haunted sights around the town, in the process of putting a book together and i have over 200+ stories to go through :)

Good Suggestion, Lb, But people around here already think I'm nuts. Primarily because I live in the area's haunted house and I don't deny it. The place was vacant for several years before I bought it and the local kids were scared to death of the place. Took three years after I moved in and started renovating before kids would even stop here on Trick or Treat. Now I get between 300 and 400 Trick or treaters.

Good Suggestion, Lb, But people around here already think I'm nuts. Primarily because I live in the area's haunted house and I don't deny it. The place was vacant for several years before I bought it and the local kids were scared to death of the place. Took three years after I moved in and started renovating before kids would even stop here on Trick or Treat. Now I get between 300 and 400 Trick or treaters.
Ask the ghost to scare 'em off.

You should set up walk throughs on Halloween and scare the trick or treaters in the house.

I'm quite happy to trick or treat. During the year I tend to run into bargains in cheap items that kids like. I've picked up dozens of Ty babies (remember them?) they're dime a doz now, regular penlights, Even pocket binoculars that fold. Stuff like that. I'm usually well prepared. A lot of them just come to talk to my skeleton butler and his half wit buddy. I'm so far out in the sticks that the kids can still be easily entertained. This tiny town better than doubles its population on Beggars Night. Kids from all the farms and outlying area come to town for Halloween.
My wife and I have most of the house furnished and decorated Victorian; not really that ghostly.

I'm quite happy to trick or treat. During the year I tend to run into bargains in cheap items that kids like. I've picked up dozens of Ty babies (remember them?) they're dime a doz now, regular penlights, Even pocket binoculars that fold. Stuff like that. I'm usually well prepared. A lot of them just come to talk to my skeleton butler and his half wit buddy. I'm so far out in the sticks that the kids can still be easily entertained. This tiny town better than doubles its population on Beggars Night. Kids from all the farms and outlying area come to town for Halloween.
My wife and I have most of the house furnished and decorated Victorian; not really that ghostly.

Mine is a Trick or Treat house too. No skeleton butlers but plenty of sweets and some corny tricks. This year we plan a Ghost Horse appearance.

It's not really celebrated around these here parts, I had a couple of bowls of sweeties but only got one visit all night.
I was surprised at how popular it is in the Republic of Ireland. Like Christmas decorations over here but Halloween themed.
It was the kiddies trick or treating first, then bonfires, then every one of the firework codes being completely ignored.

I quit with the sweets back during the "poisoned treats hoax". But I prefer giving toys anyway. Republic of Ireland sounds like a fun night. Like the U.S. in around Salem. Halloween has become the second most decorated festival (not really a holy day, now is it?) Only Christmas exceeds it. Poor old Thanksgiving has been squeezed down to a single day.

Disgracefully using cod Irish for hopeful comic effect, I saw a lad light one and pass it on saying "Would you be after giving this to Moicheal?" True.
I enjoy the opportunity Halloween gives to frustrated actors and possible exhibitionists for Ghost Walks.
I wish they would start one in my home town, mainly because the Grey Lady of Ethelfleda Terrace appears a mere five minute walk from my house.

Who is she? Tell us about her. And tell this dumb colonial who the heck is Moicheal?

An apparition supposedly appearing in a churchyard not far from me.
Personally I suspect gnats. The source was hardly reliable, a driver giving me a lift home, nice guy, but when we were loading his van he used to swing from the roof struts pretending to be a chimpanzee
Still, I'll do a bit of digging and report back.

Moicheal is my 'Oirish' for Michael, which is the name I heard, and a slightly racist attempt to mimic the irish accent.

Frankly I find the Irish accent to be quite pleasing. Brings back memories of old movies I saw as a kid. My ancestry is Scot-Irish.

Frankly I find the Irish accent to be quite pleasing. Brings back memories of old movies I saw as a kid. My ancestry is Scot-Irish.

Provided its not stage Irish, Faith & Begorrah stuff.

I wouldn't know. Old movies and news reels are about my only experience with the dialect.

I think The Quiet Man, starring The Duke is considered the last word in patronising, aw bless 'em Oirishness.
I'm having tremendous fun going through old newspaper reports about Wednesbury, riots, colliery explosions, murder, it's all going on.
Nothing about any ghost sightings yet, possibly my half man half bonobo mate was having me on, or repeating some story from childhood.
I am aware of the great interest in genealogy, I wonder how they feel when they turn up a predecessor who has committed a horrible crime?

I wouldn't know this should be taken knowing what Ween, the band are like. But this is The blarney Stone by Ween. NSFW due to language.

It happened again. Today at 3:10 pm , 5/19/17. A sudden terrific crash that shook the whole house. My dog was upstairs and I was in the Library. Shadow went nuts and come downstairs pelmel. I immediately checked outside and everything was serene. My neighbor across the street says he heard nothing unusual. Strange the windows rattled on this side of the street. No low flying planes to be seen. No sirens and no activity across at our Fire Department. We hadn't had one of those explosions for a while. I just cannot understand why I seem to be the only person to hear and feel them. This time my dog obviously heard it. Very strange indeed.

There may be an explanation for this one. At approximately 3:50 pm EDT a thunderstorm came through. In Fact it's still thundering as I write this. But that still doesn't explain why my neighbor heard nothing. Perhaps I'm living in the village of the deaf. So far the thunder has been rumbling, occasionly loud; but no sudden explosive clap like we heard earlier. But the approaching storm is probably the reason for the noise this time. At least we can hope so.

There may be an explanation for this one. At approximately 3:50 pm EDT a thunderstorm came through. In Fact it's still thundering as I write this. But that still doesn't explain why my neighbor heard nothing. Perhaps I'm living in the village of the deaf. So far the thunder has been rumbling, occasionly loud; but no sudden explosive clap like we heard earlier. But the approaching storm is probably the reason for the noise this time. At least we can hope so.
Ask your neighbours if they do have some deafness. :)

As I has explained before. When we first moved here in 79 A tremendous ROAR occurred that shook our house, rattled our windows and scared our dogs (we had three then). I rushed outside my neighbors were working in their yards and claimed they didn't hear a thing. I thought they were nuts. They weren't that deaf, they talked to me. So I ran up to the post office (I was lot younger then) where there was always a crowd of gossips. They didn't hear nuthin. Maybe a car backfired in front of our house. That was an explosion, that was no backfire. So I went home and told my wife no one heard the explosion. She couldn't believe it . Anyway the next day, the local paper headlines read "FIREWORKS FACTORY EXPLOSION KILLS TWO INJURES SEVERAL. When I brought it up at the post office I got, "Well shucks, trucks are always backfiring, I reckon we just didn't pay it no mind." So any time there is a loud explosion around here I know there is no point in asking if anyone else heard it; though I usually ask one of my neighbors......but they never hear "nuthin".

Back