• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

UK National Lottery

roswellcat

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Perhaps this should go in the "conspiracy theory" section, but anyway...

Does anyone remember when the UK National Lottery first started? Was there some controversy about it being fixed?

My boyfriend remembers a letter on Points of View soon after the first(?) draw asking why the commentator was announcing the ball numbers before the machine had selected them. He reckons Anne Robinson said "draw your own conclusions", and presumably winked in that slightly disturbing manner.

Neither of us saw the actual draw but boyfriend is very certain about the POV letter. Anyone care to comment?

I remember when it started in 1994 (November I think) but I don't recall any controversy of this kind.
As a suggestion, I think it could be that the selected ball falls out of a rotating wheel and into a tube, and it then zig-zags down and ends up in a horizontal part of the tube which could be called the "viewing chamber". However, you can see which ball it's going to be as soon as it enters the tube, so you can announce it before it gets to the viewing chamber. Something like that.
It's more like the National Floppery these days. I see that ticket sales have just hit a record low. Personally I haven't bought a ticket in weeks. Come to think of it, isn't it the lottery tonight?? Ah well, it's 7.29, so I've only got one minute to make it down to the newsagent, which is 7 minutes walk. :( :( Ah well, I didn't particularly want to be a millionaire anyway. :nooo:

Bill Robinson

Pure tosh Roswell. The security around the draws is tighter than you can imagine and OFFLOTT would jump down Camelot's throat if there was any irregularity.

As for Anne Robinson's wink; it terrifies me on every occassion I've witnessed it. Perhaps she was alluding to the fact that not every draw is live. IIRC some are pre-recorded just before they're broadcast. Mayby the presenter was reading off the numbers as they were handed to them, having been drawn a few minutes previously.

I think that the first draw was one of only ~5 tickets that I have ever bought. I watched the show on the off-chance that I was about to win a "get out of work free" card. Sadly, that never happened, but I also don't remember any concerns about it being fixed. There was a problem with G-Tech (the company providing the lottery ticket machines and infrastructure,) though. IIRC they were involved in deeply iffy activities in the US. Perhaps its that that your boyfriend is remembering?

As for Anne Robinson and the wink, I've always suspected that she is deeply evil, and not in a good way either. ;) :devil:

U mean this current lottery dont u... Ever wondered why the British Museaum has one good entrance? They had a lottery to pay for it but people run out of interest b4 they built what is now seen as the back of it... could happen agin and it seems to be decilineing.

The Lottery a fix? Thats as absurd as an American President taking power without winning the majority of votes..................

Rick

Lottery Fund spends millions on itself
The organisation which distributes hundreds of millions of pounds from the National Lottery to good causes spends more than £10 in every £100 raised on itself.
By Jason Lewis, Investigations Editor 9:00PM GMT 19 Feb 2011

The Big Lottery Fund pays £71 million on running costs and wages for 988 staff in 13 offices around the UK. It has one staff member for every 28 grant applications it receives each year.

The Fund has previously been criticised for awarding grants to politically correct causes, at the expense of more mainstream projects.

An investigation into its running costs by The Sunday Telegraph has also found high levels of questionable expenditure by the organisation, which has twice as many employees as the Department of Culture, Media and Sport, which oversees it.

The Fund's running costs come directly from the £568 million it gets from the Lottery to support good causes. But before it gives a penny away, the distributor pays its staff salaries of £37.5 million – an average of nearly £38,000-a-year – and it spends another £9 million on offices.
Millions more are spent on management consultants, media training and airline tickets for staff.

The Fund, which receives 28,000 requests for grants each year and rejects more than half, once turned down the Samaritans, claiming the group offered too little help for asylum seekers, ethnic minorities and the disadvantaged. But it did fund:

– a pressure group for 'sex workers' which campaigns to legalise prostitution and brothels,

– a project to fund "shooting galleries" where heroin addicts can take drugs under medical supervision,

– a Jamaican-born poet who was paid to spend a year on the island in search of inspiration

The Fund is now set to oversee the Big Society Bank, which will siphon off up to £400 million from dormant bank accounts to pay for the Prime Minister's idea for volunteer schemes to run post offices, libraries and transport services.

Despite employing one staff member for every 28 applications, the organisation also spends millions on consultants to assess its projects. In the last nine months it paid "social regeneration" experts Hall Aitken almost £1.6 million.

It also spent £1.2 million in the last nine months on consultants developing a scheme to do away with its paper-based grant payment system. The scheme will eventually cost £13 million but has been beset by problems.

The Fund's chief executive Peter Wanless is a former Treasury civil servant where he once worked alongside a young David Cameron.
He was also private secretary to John Major, when he was Chief Secretary to the Treasury, and later worked for Labour Ministers including Ruth Kelly and David Blunkett.
Mr Wanless now earns up to £145,000-a-year, slightly more than the Prime Minister.

He is a regular user of the Twitter website. In one message, he reported an encounter with Coldplay singer Chris Martin at a Lottery event. Alongside a mobile phone shot of the two of them, he wrote: "Chris Martin said he thought I had a brilliant job. I agreed it was almost as good as being a rock star."

His more than 3,500 posts on the site so far include details of the Fund's work, plus insight into the lives of his wife and young son.

Last year Mr Wanless ran up £9,357 in expenses travelling between his Greenwich home, the Fund's offices in London and other bases in Cambridge, Belfast, Glasgow, Cardiff and Newcastle upon Tyne.
His travel claims were far outstripped by those of other senior executives, four of whom earn more than £90,000-a-year.

[...]

Last night the Government said it had ordered the Big Lottery Fund to cut its overheads to under five per cent of its income from the lottery, which itself is to be cut by almost ten per cent.
This figure, Ministers say, is more in line with the spending of the charities it is funding and means it has two years to cut its outgoings by around £42.6 million.

Lottery Minister John Penrose said: "For too long Labour allowed lottery distributors to spend millions of pounds of lottery good cause money on excessive administration costs.
"The coalition Government has asked the Big Lottery Fund and other lottery distributors to reduce their running costs so as much money as possible goes to the arts, sport, heritage, and charities.
"This way, everyone who buys a ticket will know the good causes are getting the best possible value for money."

The Big Lottery Fund said its staff salary levels reflected that employees were graduates who did not do "routine clerical jobs but require skill and judgement" issuing around ? grants and managing 26,000 ongoing projects worth around £1.4 billion.

It said its lottery distribution costs were £58 million, it had reduced its spending on its offices to £7 million a year and that total office costs of £7,000 per employee were "not excessive".
It added that it was moving 350 jobs from London and the South East to save money.

A spokesman said: "Every one of the awards we make – and the decisions we make in choosing to fund certain projects rather than others – is subject to potentially intensive public scrutiny. We have been praised for our effectiveness.
"The Government's expectation that we reduce our core administrative costs to five per cent is challenging.
"We intend to deliver it through efficiency improvements and reduction in expenditure, without materially affecting the size or quality of the grant programmes we deliver."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/ ... tself.html

The only conspiracy regarding the National Lottery/Lotto is the fact that the contract was awarded to Camelot, despite Richard Branson's bid promising to give ALL profits to good causes.

You know, I have long suspected the national lottery draws can be 'infuenced' somehow. You can almost guarantee that leading up to a holiday week end or some other big event the preceeding draw (often the Wednesday) will be a roll over, so the week end prize fund will be bigger. I can usually predict a roll over by the amount of high numbers drawn.
Does not stop me buying at ticket from time to time :?

Does anyone remember when the UK National Lottery first started? Was there some controversy about it being fixed?

Sometimes I have improbable conspiritorial theories about the National Lottery. This is despite having had someone that used to work for me win £1m via the UK Lottery over a decade ago.

Whilst accepting that I'm far too much of a doubter, about all things, I read official Lottery statements and seriously wonder what is really going on....
https://www.national-lottery.co.uk/life-changing/winner-mega-friday-story

" Imagine winning £1M once. Now imagine winning it twice and also getting a dream car thrown into the bargain. David Long from Scunthorpe won his first million in July 2013, and then banked his second, as well as a dream motor on the EuroMillions Mega Friday in March 2015. His wife Kathleen said, “You said you’d do it again and you have!”

In 2013 the pair, then known as David Long and Kathleen MacKenzie, banked £1M when EuroMillions created 100 millionaires on one night. The Mega Friday draw in March saw ten winners drive away with £1M and a dream car. This success makes the couple the first double millionaire winners on The National Lottery to go public.

David’s secret to his success is simple, he likes to play when he knows there are lots of prizes available. “I always knew I’d win, even the first time. I just had a feeling it was going to be me. Last time I knew I had a good chance because there were 100 prizes of £1 million. Last Friday night I was passing the local shop and saw there were ten £1 million prizes on EuroMillions and a nice car and thought yeah I’ll give that a go.”

After nearly missing out on his win last time because he failed to check his raffle code, David checked his ticket carefully on Saturday morning. “On one line I’d matched two numbers and one star to get £7.20 and thought that’s alright. Then I checked the raffle codes – something I’ve learnt to do automatically since winning last time. After a few moments I very calmly called Kath in and said “Have a look at this. It’s there. Look. Read that line.”

“Kath checked the TV; then she turned on the laptop and checked the website. Then she went up right close to our television on the wall, put on her glasses and stared really hard at the raffle numbers. It seemed ages and then she finally said: “You said you’d do it again and you have!” Everything has been a blur ever since. It’s definitely taking longer to sink in this time!”

The first win came when the couple admitted times had been tough due to illness. The couple both quickly retired and say it has been an amazing 18 months since. They even finally got married after a 12 year engagement.

Of the second win David said, “I always told everyone that I’m gonna do it again. I just knew it would be my turn again someday. Now it has and we just can’t believe it.”

The couple are planning a big celebration party for friends and family. Although David isn’t a fan of flying he has had to promise Kathleen a dream cruise. “Kath and I had a fantastic wedding last year but we never took a honeymoon because I’m just not keen on the idea of flying. Kath would love me to book an amazing cruise and I think I have just run out of excuses!”

Of course David and Kathleen also have to pick up the dream car they have won in Friday’s EuroMillions Mega Friday draw. They are currently still selecting from a stunning list of cars and have narrowed it down to either a Range Rover Autobiography or a Jaguar F-Type
."

Really? Truly?

Hmm....well, the stated odds are only 238,000,000,000 to 1, so I suppose that means we must accept the fact that it happened. And not consider it even slightly strange that they still continue to live in a static caravan, despite having won £1m twice.

I've won £25 six times this year and over £100 on Euromillions - all small wins. I'm just practicing for the big one :)

How on earth....? Well, that's impressive, I must say. Yes, go for the biggie. For you it's not if, it's just when.

(You must be a safe person to sit beside during long jet flights..)

I've had a few wins here and there. My biggest was £168 last year (think it was last year). I'm really resigned to the fact that I won't win more than that. *sigh*

How on earth....? Well, that's impressive, I must say. Yes, go for the biggie. For you it's not if, it's just when.

(You must be a safe person to sit beside during long jet flights..)

Funny thing is that it's usually the week I get paid. Had a lot of wins over the years - biggest was £240 most have been £10 or now £25 and under a tenner on the Euromillions. I don't use any set numbers or have a system just a lucky dip. A few extra zeros on the end of the winnings wouldn't hurt though :)

I don't use any set numbers or have a system
It's a neat trick, suggesting to people they might have 'lucky numbers' Once you play then a few times, you then have to play them all the time in case they come up when you don't buy a ticket...

(plus pick consecutive numbers, you're just as likely to win, but a lot less likely to have to share the jackpot).

It's a neat trick, suggesting to people they might have 'lucky numbers' Once you play then a few times, you then have to play them all the time in case they come up when you don't buy a ticket...

I've heard it said (the source will eventually come back to me) that Camelot, the current UK Lottery Operator, deliberately-delayed the customer option for requesting a system-generated lucky dip.

This was (allegedly) done for pure business reasons so as to ensure that lottery players became emotionally-attached to specific numbers (just as you're thinking of, @Coal) in order to maintain an initial customer base of addicted long-term hopers rather than just disaffected random chancers.

The option of system-generated 'lucky' dip numbers appeared long after punters had become eternally-enamoured with pseudo-superstitious beliefs in specific dates-of-birth, auspicious hat sizes and deeply-meaningful house numbers.

There's some interesting conspiratorial rants on Trustpilot reviews. People aren't happy about the extra numbers and worse odds :

"Camelot is fraudulently fleecing, unwitting victims of large jackpot winning who play on-line, by intercepting and altering their ticket, therefore eliminating any provable claims to their win - if ticket un-printed."
http://bit.ly/2bazCO2

"No one wins anymore. The people there company claim to be winners are clearly actors."
http://bit.ly/2b9riCl

"The same people win ALL the time. Where the demographic is mainly is mainly white. Before you think me mad. A couple of years ago Camelot themselves said their winners were mostly white and blue eyed. The prizes worth winning only go to the outskirts. So Ireland, Scotland and any areas in England which are middle class and 'well to do'. No poorer winners please!"
http://bit.ly/2bav0Hm

I appreciate I'm pretty late in commenting on the original theme of this thread but I'm fairly new here.
I have a memory of there being some accusations of foul play near the start of the lottery because the celebrity ( I think it was meatloaf) who was pressing the button to release the balls seemed to press it after the balls were released.
Or maybe I dreamt it!! Anyone else remember this?

I appreciate I'm pretty late in commenting on the original theme of this thread but I'm fairly new here.
I have a memory of there being some accusations of foul play near the start of the lottery because the celebrity ( I think it was meatloaf) who was pressing the button to release the balls seemed to press it after the balls were released.
Or maybe I dreamt it!! Anyone else remember this?

The BBC became embroiled in another row over deception yesterday after it emerged that the button used to set off the Lotto balls is not real.

Viewers watching the draw on BBC1 on Wednesday saw the singer Craig David hesitate as he went to press the red button to release the balls.

Despite his hesitation, the balls dropped into the spinning barrel, raising questions about whether the button was real.

Camelot, which operates the national lottery, said yesterday that the button was just a cue for "a draw master" who set off the balls from behind the scenes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1572592/BBC-admits-Lotto-button-is-a-fake.html

The BBC became embroiled in another row over deception yesterday after it emerged that the button used to set off the Lotto balls is not real.

Viewers watching the draw on BBC1 on Wednesday saw the singer Craig David hesitate as he went to press the red button to release the balls.

Despite his hesitation, the balls dropped into the spinning barrel, raising questions about whether the button was real.

Camelot, which operates the national lottery, said yesterday that the button was just a cue for "a draw master" who set off the balls from behind the scenes.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1572592/BBC-admits-Lotto-button-is-a-fake.html

Thanks for clearing that up Tribble. Now I just got to work out why my memory turned Craig David into meatloaf?!

Now I just got to work out why my memory turned Craig David into meatloaf?!

I have no idea why, but the World of Gashead must abe a wond'rous place! :glee::glee:

Thanks for clearing that up Tribble. Now I just got to work out why my memory turned Craig David into meatloaf?!

Ah ha - because a similar thing happened with Meatloaf too! Slight difference in the situation but pretty close. So fear not, you're not going completely ga-ga.

Meat Loaf caught out the BBC cameramen in the live TV draw by pressing the button to start the machine before they were ready to do a close-up of the button and his hand. However, Meat Loaf did press it when he was first told by the announcer, but no-one noticed ! He then pressed it a couple of more times for "show" (i.e. for the now out-of-sync camera team), but by then, the first ball (12) had already rolled down the chute and come to a standstill, completely missed by the BBC cameras ! Amazingly, this somewhat minor slip prompted many complaining phone calls to the BBC, claiming the machine was faulty, the start button was bust or the whole thing was rigged.

http://lottery.merseyworld.com/archive/Lott043.html

Maybe they should just signal the release by a verbal cue, like "Punch it, Chewie!" or, in tribute to Lord Rix, "Drop them, vicar".

Ah ha - because a similar thing happened with Meatloaf too! Slight difference in the situation but pretty close. So fear not, you're not going completely ga-ga.

Meat Loaf caught out the BBC cameramen in the live TV draw by pressing the button to start the machine before they were ready to do a close-up of the button and his hand. However, Meat Loaf did press it when he was first told by the announcer, but no-one noticed ! He then pressed it a couple of more times for "show" (i.e. for the now out-of-sync camera team), but by then, the first ball (12) had already rolled down the chute and come to a standstill, completely missed by the BBC cameras ! Amazingly, this somewhat minor slip prompted many complaining phone calls to the BBC, claiming the machine was faulty, the start button was bust or the whole thing was rigged.

http://lottery.merseyworld.com/archive/Lott043.html

Maybe they should just signal the release by a verbal cue, like "Punch it, Chewie!" or, in tribute to Lord Rix, "Drop them, vicar".

Thank u all! I can now sleep soundly. What a brilliant place this forum is.

On some levels, the National Lottery cannot be entirely real. But to what extent, I'm not at all sure.

To me, like many aspects of modern-day life, it is an enigmatic blend of fact, faith and fractional fictions.

As indicated earlier in this thread, I have personally hugged someone that originally worked for me, who won a £1m (I left our common employment before she did....and she still works).

In any case, in the same way that I constantly doubt the physical mathematical chances of anyone actually ever winning, I utterly refute the reported reality of individuals who win, substantially, more than once (again, see my post earlier in the thread). To do this, at stated odds of 238,000,000,000 to 1 (yes, 28 billion to one) can not have happened upon any plane of shared reality.

Tell me, convincingly, that this actually happens. No, really.

In any case, in the same way that I constantly doubt the physical mathematical chances of anyone actually ever winning, I utterly refute the reported reality of individuals who win, substantially, more than once (again, see my post earlier in the thread). To do this, at stated odds of 238,000,000,000 to 1 (yes, 28 billion to one) can not have happened upon any plane of shared reality.

Tell me, convincingly, that this actually happens. No, really.

The Cosmic Joker works in mysterious ways... Or maybe it's evidence of time travellers getting careless.

This list of comparative odds is unremittingly North American, and (like 76.5% of statistics) probably all made-up.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/archene...-things-more-likely-than-winning-the-powerbal

"Starting with the most likely and working towards least likely"

Writing a best selling novel- 1 in 220.

Being injured while using a chain saw- 1 in 4644.

Injured by a toilet- 1 in 10,000.

Winning an Oscar- 1 in 11,500.

Killed by fireworks- 1 in 616,488

Winning an Olympic Gold medal- 1 in 662,000.

Crushed by a meteor- 1 in 700,000.

Struck by lightning- 1 in 2,300,000.

Dying from food poisoning- 1 in 3,000,000.

Death from scalding hot tap water- 1 in 5,000,000

Killed by tornado- 1 in 5,693,092.

Becoming President- 1 in 10,000,000.

Attacked by a shark- 1 in 11,500,000.

Becoming an astronaut- 1 in 12,100,000.

Dying from a dog bite- 1 in 20,000,000.

Becoming a saint- 1 in 20,000,000.

Lowest calculated odds for predicting the march Madness bracket perfectly- 1 in 128 billion.

Back