• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Mythopoeika said:
Didn't you say that earlier on another thread?
Yes and it applies to both. I want to know what witches are.

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/is-this-an-occult-symbol.60579/page-4#post-1567299
My only problem is which witch is which.
Ermintrude said:
And, if there have been any switches
To the ones which were the witches
We must tell which, from which, is

Here's something new. While sitting in my living room whatching Jerry Springer, a holographic image of a statue of Christ appeared. How do I know it was a holographic image and not JC himself? It was a statue. You see, I grew up Catholic. I have seen my fair share of statues of Jesus, the saints and whoever else. I know a statue when I see one. I simply said to no one in particular "No", and the statue disappeared. Now a month later the same statue appears only this time someone painted the face, hands and feet black. This time I shouted, "Give me a break." I thought I heard a snicker and that one also disappeared never to return.

Did it cast a shadow?? Was it in crucifiction mode?
It was free standing with arms outstretched. A typical one of him. What struck me as funny about it was that my sister in law converted from Buddhism to Christianity on the strength of having a similar experience. Every time I would see her, I would be dying to tell her. But I couldn't dash her hope in God.

Oh, and that damn bunny drummer thing. Thank god it was buried at sea, along with Busby and Emu.

You may have thought it was gone, but guess again.
undersea E Bun.jpg

To keep this thread on the path of righteous minor strangeness, here's another oddity.

I've a small, powerful LED torch (an affordable AA-sized Chinese clone, with what's probably a 1watt diode). It's one of these knurled metal ones that actually make Maglights look inadequate.

It has been about my person for about 18 months, so, new, but headed for being old.

Until last weekend, it has never been in my living room, and has just existed in jacket pockets and bags, or the car....places you'd probably expect to find a need for a torch.

On Sunday, I took the torch into the living room with the intention of investigating a possible leak behind the washing machine, in the adjacent kitchen. Consequently, the torch was sitting on the coffee table, lodged under a fruit-bowl (oh, the domesticity of existence, when sketched-out as still life).

Then yesterday morning....I found the torch lying on the living room floor. Odd in itself, since nobody else in the house would've put it (or anything) on the floor. Especially not a potential trip/slip hazard, such as a cylindrical metal torch.

Very strange, you might think. But here's the even-stranger punchline. Sitting on the floor, beside the torch, was a small A6 folded piece of paper. I picked that up, not recognising it at all, unfolded it, and bingo....it's an instruction guide for the torch.

I've never seen it before in my life. My SO says they've never seen it either (nor did they know or care about the torch being there in the first place). Even if the instruction booklet had existed, when I bought the torch in the middle of last year, it would've been been put straight in the recycling bin.

Just for the avoidance of doubt, what I'm describing just now just as I experienced it is utterly impossible (but, it happened) so I am totally-stumped. I'm completely certain that nobody in the house could've done this (put the torch on the floor, and mysteriously-produced a user manual for it).

So...who knows how the hell that happened...

Maybe when I go downstairs tomorrow both the torch and the instruction book will have vanished from the mantlepiece...

Hi, your story has got me out of lurking to do my first post. Could it be possible that someone moved the fruit bowl which could have knocked the torch onto the floor without people noticing? As for the instructions appearing could it be possible that they were somehow attached or tucked away somewhere on or inside the torch and they were knocked free when it hit the floor?

The only other thing i could think of was that maybe someone else borrowed the torch and broke or lost it and then decided to replace it with an identical one themselves hoping you wouldn't notice? They wouldn't know if you still had the original instructions so they left them with the torch.

Hi, your story has got me out of lurking to do my first post
In that case, welcome fully to FTMB

You make excellent suggestions, but unfortunately they don't work in practice to explain what happened.

The fruit bowl was in exactly the same place, and my SO swears they didn't touch the torch (I believe that 100%....they don't do torches).

The design of the torch is tight knurled aluminium, with no gaps/crevices. Absolutely no way it could contain (or carry) even a small user manual.

And for someone to have swapped the torch, not knowing if the manual was there or not...no, again, I'm sorry, you propose an excellent theory, but the following vital counterpoints are evident:

• No-one else has been in the house (for certain)
  • The torch is the one I bought, based upon it's mildly-worn/ slightly-scratched exterior, and the switch operation (it's clearly an 18month+ old item)
  • The torch was bought from an Aldi or Lidl source, and like most of their tech sales, it only existed on sale for a couple of weeks tops (despite being a very-high quality item)
  • The instruction booklet was pristine, unrumpled/smooth and as new as the day I never saw it, back when the torch was first bought.
Really really strange....

I live alone - no partner, kids or pets - but two slightly strange things have happened to me at home in the last 24 hours:
  • I hang the toilet roll with the free end away from the wall, if you see what I mean, and am very particular about this. Yesterday evening I was using the toilet and after I was finished (sorry!) discovered that the roll had somehow been turned such that the free end was now against the wall. I had to take it off the holder and turn the whole roll 180 degrees to return it to the proper 'away from the wall' configuration.
  • I always keep the bathroom door shut. Tonight I went to open the bathroom door but it was just like there was someone standing behind it pushing against me. I did manage to open it but only by shoving quite hard. I thought that maybe something had fallen over and was preventing the door from opening properly but there was nothing behind it and nothing that could have blocked it anywhere nearby. It really did feel like someone putting their weight against the door.
What's going on?

When the thing with the bog roll being turned happened I just shrugged it off. The door thing tonight has me scratching my head though. I've just tried opening it again and it swung just as easily as it ever has, so it's not as if the the door has swolen in the frame. I'm keeing an open mind and am interested to see what, if anything, happens next. I'm certainly not your typical poltergeist material, being male and well and truly past puberty...

I'm certainly not your typical poltergeist material, being male and well and truly past puberty

When my son Escet was a teenager we had a big argument one day and a picture shot off the wall right in front of his head. I shouted 'Look what you've made me do now!' but in truth I was just as surprised as he was.

We stopped arguing and had a cup of tea.

I live alone - no partner, kids or pets - but two slightly strange things have happened to me at home in the last 24 hours:
  • I hang the toilet roll with the free end away from the wall, if you see what I mean, and am very particular about this. Yesterday evening I was using the toilet and after I was finished (sorry!) discovered that the roll had somehow been turned such that the free end was now against the wall. I had to take it off the holder and turn the whole roll 180 degrees to return it to the proper 'away from the wall' configuration.
  • I always keep the bathroom door shut. Tonight I went to open the bathroom door but it was just like there was someone standing behind it pushing against me. I did manage to open it but only by shoving quite hard. I thought that maybe something had fallen over and was preventing the door from opening properly but there was nothing behind it and nothing that could have blocked it anywhere nearby. It really did feel like someone putting their weight against the door.
What's going on?

can u post some pics?

"free end" is that the end you put the roll onto? Is it free standing or attached to the wall?

Where do you live?

Is it an old house?

We stopped arguing and had a cup of tea.
Teakinesis.

Carse said:
I hang the toilet roll with the free end away from the wall, if you see what I mean, and am very particular about this.
Counter-winding on the roll perhaps (first half was clockwise, outer half was wound-on the opposite way? I doubt this).

Here's some very-odd pseudoscientific studies into the 'drop side' pros/cons. I can't decide what percentage of it is real/fake, if any
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toilet_paper_orientation

Wait...layered toilet paper. De-layering, if it is flipped over upon itself. Does it change the orientation of the 'hang' of the paper? This demands an experiment.

And your door:
  • Jammed lock-stay/handle mechanism with latch pawl fouling in the striker plate
  • Handle itself (square bar style through-door) failing due to lack of internal lubrication or wear
  • Door sticking in the frame due to moisture-based expansion (water vapour, poor steam extraction)
  • Door frame contraction due to moisture loss (central heating)
  • Sapele/hollow-cored door warping due to internal frame-spans over-seasoning
  • Threshold strip on carpet/lino/tiling transition point binding on the underside of the door itself
  • Paint or vanish on the door and/or frame adhering one to other, resulting in a seal effect
  • Fire door (unlikely, but possible) with thermotumescent strip fouling along the whole door frame
  • Binding at the hinge due to lack of lubrication (especially if a rise-and-fall slant hinge design)
  • Faulty door closer (hidden chain pull-in type, if not overt 'institutional' type)
  • Draught excluder and/or anti-draught tape catching on the frame
  • Grit/stone catching between lower edge of the door and the threshold bar

IMG_0445.PNG
Leprechauns use the toilet also. I remember a conversation I once had with a Druid who looked like Santa. I was doing well until he mentioned something about leprechauns, which caused me to laugh and tease him so much, because I was stupid in those days, that he shouted, "before the nights over, you're going to believe in leprechauns." Yeah right old boy. That night however just as I was about to dose off, I heard what I assumed to be a mouse on my pillow approaching the back side of my head. As I quickly tried to jump from the bed to avoid getting bitten, it accelerated and before I knew it something hit me in my jaw. My head hit the pillow, stunned by the punch. I could feel the vibrations on my pillow of it running away. Never tease a Druid.

Tonight I went to open the bathroom door but it was just like there was someone standing behind it pushing against me. I did manage to open it but only by shoving quite hard. I thought that maybe something had fallen over and was preventing the door from opening properly but there was nothing behind it and nothing that could have blocked it anywhere nearby. It really did feel like someone putting their weight against the door. What's going on?

I've dreamt this many times - I'm usually in my house (or the house I grew up in) and I'm pushing hard against the bathroom door but something (and it feels like a person pushing with their full body weight) is pushing back. I'll be honest, I really don't like those dreams. When the door eventually gives way and I open it there's always no-one there. It's like the person pushing is there one minute and gone the next...

View attachment 3714 Leprechauns use the toilet also. I remember a conversation I once had with a Druid who looked like Santa. I was doing well until he mentioned something about leprechauns, which caused me to laugh and tease him so much, because I was stupid in those days, that he shouted, "before the nights over, you're going to believe in leprechauns." Yeah right old boy. That night however just as I was about to dose off, I heard what I assumed to be a mouse on my pillow approaching the back side of my head. As I quickly tried to jump from the bed to avoid getting bitten, it accelerated and before I knew it something hit me in my jaw. My head hit the pillow, stunned by the punch. I could feel the vibrations on my pillow of it running away. Never tease a Druid.

Probably had something to do with what you were "dosing off" on?

Probably had something to do with what you were "dosing off" on?
Perhaps, but I think it has more to do with that space between wakefulness and sleep. That twilight zone where magical beings reside. Now in the fairy kingdom they have an odd looking cinnamon stick that will allow one to see through the cloaking device that hides huge machines in the sky.

Did they give you one of these cinnamon sticks?

Perhaps, but I think it has more to do with that space between wakefulness and sleep. That twilight zone where magical beings reside. Now in the fairy kingdom they have an odd looking cinnamon stick that will allow one to see through the cloaking device that hides huge machines in the sky.

Seriously that can be done with good quality LSD.

Did they give you one of these cinnamon sticks?
Yes, it was in a dream. I dreamt that I was coming home from work and when I entered my apartment instead of seeing my girlfriend, I was in a very strange bar. Standing at the bar was a male fairy with huge clear see through wings, as fairies are known to have. He was a brunette and completely naked and facing the bar, luckily for me. A young woman handed him a cinnamon stick, which I intercepted and eat as I exited the establishment and upon opening the door I saw huge machine like objects just hanging in the sky, motionless. I then woke up.

In that case, welcome fully to FTMB

You make excellent suggestions, but unfortunately they don't work in practice to explain what happened.

The fruit bowl was in exactly the same place, and my SO swears they didn't touch the torch (I believe that 100%....they don't do torches).

The design of the torch is tight knurled aluminium, with no gaps/crevices. Absolutely no way it could contain (or carry) even a small user manual.

And for someone to have swapped the torch, not knowing if the manual was there or not...no, again, I'm sorry, you propose an excellent theory, but the following vital counterpoints are evident:

• No-one else has been in the house (for certain)
  • The torch is the one I bought, based upon it's mildly-worn/ slightly-scratched exterior, and the switch operation (it's clearly an 18month+ old item)
  • The torch was bought from an Aldi or Lidl source, and like most of their tech sales, it only existed on sale for a couple of weeks tops (despite being a very-high quality item)
  • The instruction booklet was pristine, unrumpled/smooth and as new as the day I never saw it, back when the torch was first bought.
Really really strange....

Thanks for the welcome Ermintrude!

Ok, the only other explanation i could come up with is...maybe at some point either you or your SO have subconciously noticed the instructions to the torch tucked away somewhere around the house (maybe deep in a kitchen draw somewhere), then if one of you did some sleepwalking and maybe tried to reunite the instructions with the torch without remembering. It's the sort of logical-but-pointless thing someone might do whilst sleepwalking.

Thanks for the welcome Ermintrude!

Ok, the only other explanation i could come up with is...maybe at some point either you or your SO have subconciously noticed the instructions to the torch tucked away somewhere around the house (maybe deep in a kitchen draw somewhere), then if one of you did some sleepwalking and maybe tried to reunite the instructions with the torch without remembering. It's the sort of logical-but-pointless thing someone might do whilst sleepwalking.

Medications can cause strange behavior during the night which is forgotten by the next morning (insert joke here). I had a roommate once who took various prescription things, but didn't drink alcohol. One morning I got up for work, and got my lunch, prepared the night before, from the refrigerator. Three huge bites had been taken out of my sandwich, and then it had been put back. I asked my roommate why he'd eaten half my sandwich and then stuffed it back into my lunch bag, but he didn't recall even being up the night before. (He apologized about the sandwich however.)

A friend of mine had a similar experience where her food in the refrigerator kept disappearing. One night she got up and saw her roommate eating her cake, but her roommate was unconscious. The next morning her roommate was adamant she couldn't have walked in her sleep and wolfed down half a cake without waking up. When her prescription changed, her weird behavior ended.

Balls inside balls - recursive and fractal - one could easily add one smaller (inside) or one bigger layer (outside) of balls to this idea. Christmas decorations get more complex each year.

recursive_balls.jpg

In the metro people prefer to sit facing in the direction of travel (even though the opposite choice is much safer in case of an accident).
metro.jpg

Back