• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
The one that spooked me the most, by far, is from horror compilation, Masters of Horror (I forget which volume) Jennifer, by Dario Argento. It is about a hunter (I think he is a policeman too) who spots a man about to kill a girl in the woods. He rescues her and we see that her fa e is horribly disfigured. He ends up taking her in and looking after her. Lets just say she has issues.
It is not the most original idea, but what messed with my head was the girl's face, with those dead black eyes. Uuurgggghh. Needless to say, I won't be watchin it again.

The one that spooked me the most, by far, is from horror compilation, Masters of Horror (I forget which volume) Jennifer, by Dario Argento. It is about a hunter (I think he is a policeman too) who spots a man about to kill a girl in the woods. He rescues her and we see that her fa e is horribly disfigured. He ends up taking her in and looking after her. Lets just say she has issues.
It is not the most original idea, but what messed with my head was the girl's face, with those dead black eyes. Uuurgggghh. Needless to say, I won't be watchin it again.

I really liked Cigarette Burns from Masters of Horror. A captured Angel with clipped wings and a film that sends people insane. Weird and disturbing!

image.jpeg

Still can't watch Salems Lot on my own

I really liked Cigarette Burns from Masters of Horror. A captured Angel with clipped wings and a film that sends people insane. Weird and disturbing!
Ah yes , I was thinking about that yesterday, bur mistakenly thought it was In the Mouth of Madness. The captured angel - very unusual idea and creepy. It was a good one.

The compilations V.H.S and VHS 2 had some decent(ish) ones. ,The one about the cult, Safe Haven was just insanely full on, I can't think of anything else I have seen that is so intense.
One in the first VHS about a girl someone picks up on a night out freaked me a bit - again it was her face and off kilter actions.

Dutch thriller The Vanishing developed a bleak atmosphere of dread (the American remake was not a patch on it) and is worth a watch.

The original Vanishing is indeed very good. Horrifying, but good. My husband wanted to rent it, but luckily I'd already seen it and told him he'd better not. The ending is his absolute worst phobia!

Can't believe the American version changed the ending. So ridiculous. o_O

The original Vanishing is indeed very good. Horrifying, but good. My husband wanted to rent it, but luckily I'd already seen it and told him he'd better not. The ending is his absolute worst phobia!

Can't believe the American version changed the ending. So ridiculous. o_O

The twist in The Vanishing, after that blandly presented drama, is like a boot to the head. What the remake did was soothe the audience into letting their horror off the hook, give Jeff Bridges a bad performance (which is so rare it's almost worth watching for that), and alienating film fans from director George Sluizer, who made them both and never saw his career recover from that blunder. A cautionary tale, both times, but in different ways.

Totally agree, how no to remake a film. The original was brutal, all the more so for e contrast between the bulk of the film and the ending. Only seen it once, never forget it.
For me, atmosphere is the big draw, the original Ring, the Japanese one just oozed menace, a hopeless, creeping dread.

I 'enjoyed' Audition, notorious Japanese thriller / horror. What added to the experience was the clever change of tone, it could almost be a romantic drama for part of the film, but bloody hell, how it changes. The scene with the girl sat in her room, waiting for a call, and when the phone does ring, the large sack on the floor shudders and growls. A nasty, this one.

Dead Man's Shoes

Could this be classed as a horror? There are certainly some horrific ideas and moments in it, all in a dull, Lancashire setting. Paddy Considine's performance as Richard, a soldier with an axe to grind is right up there in my opinion, a powerhouse performance and one scary man.

I 'enjoyed' Audition, notorious Japanese thriller / horror. What added to the experience was the clever change of tone, it could almost be a romantic drama for part of the film, but bloody hell, how it changes. The scene with the girl sat in her room, waiting for a call, and when the phone does ring, the large sack on the floor shudders and growls. A nasty, this one.

The second half makes sense in relation to the first when you realise the lead character is essentially exploiting women for his own satisfaction, it looks quaint the way it's presented, but he's not behaving very well, so when it comes back to bite him on the arse (or the ankles), it's a horrible poetic justice. It could almost be a comedy, except it's really not funny.

Dead Man's Shoes

Could this be classed as a horror? There are certainly some horrific ideas and moments in it, all in a dull, Lancashire setting. Paddy Considine's performance as Richard, a soldier with an axe to grind is right up there in my opinion, a powerhouse performance and one scary man.

Borderline, maybe, Considine certainly is intimidating in it, a great performance. His answer to that age old question "What are you looking at?" is not easily dismissed!

Dead Man's Shoes

A classic modern disturbing thriller .. I went to college with Shane Meadows, Dead Man's Shoes is the only one of his I've liked .. It's Staffordshire/Derbyshire BTW .. ;)

Bits of it are weirdly funny, though, like when the baddies start going on about the recycling. A five course meal of conflicting emotions.

Bits of it are weirdly funny, though, like when the baddies start going on about the recycling. A five course meal of conflicting emotions.
Not name dropping but I used to know Shane ... the bit when the gangsters wake up and Paddy's covered them in make up was from when Shane used to pull the same prank on his Dad :) .. he also once undid his Dad's zip, put his Dad's hand inside and left him to snooze .. then let all the relatives in quietly telling them to hush because his Dad was asleep .. so what's the first thing a bloke would at the moment of waking up with his hand down there ? .. have a bit of a scratch and reorganisation .. then Dad opened his eyes, hand on dick with everyone looking at him .. I've got a few Shane stories ..

Borderline, maybe, Considine certainly is intimidating in it, a great performance. His answer to that age old question "What are you looking at?" is not easily dismissed!

Yes! What a great comeback, and totally unexpected in a film!

A classic modern disturbing thriller .. I went to college with Shane Meadows, Dead Man's Shoes is the only one of his I've liked .. It's Staffordshire/Derbyshire BTW .. ;)
Wow!
Only one of his I have seen. I stand corrected re Location!

I used to watch head baddie Gary Stretch box as a kid. Me being the kid, not him.

Dead Man's Shoes

Wonderful film. Bleak and horrifying. Considine's performance is just incredible.

Derbyshire setting though :)

I mentioned The Void on the Worst Movies thread, so here's the trailer in a more appropriate setting (er, I hope!):

Forrest J. Ackerman and Rick Baker interviews from the 80's ..

FRIGHTFEST GLASGOW 2017 DAY 1 – VAMPIRES, ZOMBIES AND GODZILLA
Reviews of Shin Godzilla, Happy Hunting and more from the first half of FrightFest Glasgow

By Anton Bitel 25-02-17 261 0

Two events cast different kinds of shadow over this year’s Glasgow FrightFest. The first was the announcement, one day before the Thursday evening opening, that the next instalment of FrightFest’s main August Bank Holiday weekend event would be taking place back at the Empire in Leicester Square – although the fact that it is now, but never previously was, the Cineworld Empire, and that the mighty Empire 1 has now been split into two smaller theatres, is a sure sign that you can never truly go back. Indeed, 2013’s FrightFest closer Big Bad Wolves was the last ever film to screen in Empire 1 before the conversion of the auditorium into what it is now – and if FrightFesters hanker nostalgically to experience once more the same film together in the same big theatre, the best that they can do now is come to the festival’s single-venue offshoots like the Halloween FrightFest, or indeed Glasgow itself (unfolding, as it does, within the confines of the GFT’s upper floor). The August FrightFest won’t be the same – but then again, it never is.

The other event was Storm Doris, playing havoc with the UK’s train and plane services, and preventing many, including the organisers (and myself), from attending the opening night. As it happens, the evening’s two films were dedicated to the impossibility of ever truly going back. Gore Verbinski’s festival opener A Cure For Wellness (which I had managed to catch earlier) follows Dane De Haan’s ambitious financial executive Lockhart heading from his modern New York office back to the old country where his firm’s CEO has retreated permanently into a sanatorium to ‘take the waters’. And so Lockhart’s twenty-first century sensibilities collide head-on with some old school fairytale gothic, revealing both to be similarly selfish, venal and predatory – and unable to resist, however vainly they might try, the inexorable downhill momentum of mortality.

This was followed by Phantasm Remastered, Don Coscarelli’s 1979 cult classic now digitally revisited by Bad Robot so that the original, though disinterred for a new audience, is no longer what it used to be, any more than its dead characters seem capable of staying buried for long. Not that I know how this fresh version differs, as I was unable to make it to Glasgow in time to see it, and so am left only with my memories of Coscarelli’s film. ...

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/reviews/frightfest-glasgow-2017-day-1-vampires-zombies-and-godzilla/

FRIGHTFEST GLASGOW 2017 DAY 2: FASHIONISTAS, CANNIBALS AND FLUIDS
Reviews of Fashionista, Detour, The Night Of The Virgin and more from FrightFest Glasgow

By Anton Bitel 26-02-17 1,583 0

Today boasted the strongest line-up in a strong weekend, despite a shaky(cam) beginning, an over-elongated end, and a middle that got somewhat lost in Albania. Detour‘s writer/director Chris Smith regaled FrightFesters with tales of drinking with Dolph Lundgren and falling in love with Bel Powley and Rosamund Pike – and festival closer The Night Of The Virgin was certainly improved by having director Roberto San Sebastián and writer Guillermo Guerrero shout out “Terrence Malick inspiration!” or “The miracle of life!” during all its grossest parts, like the Statler and Waldorf of bad taste. ...

https://www.scifinow.co.uk/reviews/...y-2-fashionistas-cannibals-and-bodily-fluids/

From the IMBD Trivia page of Happy Hunting, mentioned above:

A few members of the crew reported seeing ghosts during production. Cameras often rolled for no reason. While editing the film, an old gold prospector was observed in the background of multiple takes even though no one recalled seeing him on set.

A Cure For Wellness: This film doesn't drag but its still too long at 2h 26m, 20 minutes could be clipped and it would be a much better film. What we have is a Gothic Horror film, a Wall Street CEO takes refuge in a Swiss Health Clinic and a young upcoming executive is dispatched to bring him home. However, after an accident, the executive finds himself trapped in the clinic, which is run in Cult-like manner.

The local water is supposed to rejuvenate the patients; but does it? Or is it only a chosen few who benefit? 7/10.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4731136/

The making of PSYCHO ... we (my family) were lucky enough to watch a scene from PSYCHO 2 being filmed as tourists on the Universal Studios tram tour, the scene with Anthony Hopkins talking to the copper next to the ice box by the motel rooms :) .. we all had to keep quiet ..

I did not know this, and couldn't have realised either if I hadn't read it somewhere this week, but apparently 'Horror Express' http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0068713/ was inspired by 'Who Goes There'. Sort of makes sense once you...OK it's pretty tenuous.

The making of PSYCHO ... we (my family) were lucky enough to watch a scene from PSYCHO 2 being filmed as tourists on the Universal Studios tram tour, the scene with Anthony Hopkins talking to the copper next to the ice box by the motel rooms :) .. we all had to keep quiet ..
Psycho II came out in 1983 and starred Anthony Perkins.
Anthony Hopkins was in 'Hitchcock' as Hitch - and Perkins was portrayed by James D'Arcy. Maybe that was the film you saw being made?

That happens in Psycho III, it's probably that one you saw being filmed. It starred Anthony Perkins.

Back