• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
My first thought was that hundreds of reported sightings (never mind unreported sightings) must be indicative of something, but then I thought with the ubiquity of tolerably-high quality cameras the fact that nobody has turned up a conclusive image may itself be indicative of the fact that there are no specimens to be seen.

I've no experience with this field: are any mainstream zoological groups actively involved in searching for the species.

Yes Andy. I do give this guy the benefit of the doubt that he was genuinely mistaken at the start. But he's been contacted since by an 'expert', and that 'expert' has been down to review the area and footage. Now, can you guess who that 'expert' is? Can you? But still, that's no reflection on Paul Day, he may well have no idea who he's dealing with.

My first thought was that hundreds of reported sightings (never mind unreported sightings) must be indicative of something, but then I thought with the ubiquity of tolerably-high quality cameras the fact that nobody has turned up a conclusive image may itself be indicative of the fact that there are no specimens to be seen.

I've no experience with this field: are any mainstream zoological groups actively involved in searching for the species.

Thing is with thylacines, they look an awful lot like dogs. And tiger sightings don't tend to be that accurate in terms of what a tiger actually looked like. Anyway, there are a few sightings which seem to be very hard to explain, though knowing what I do about the tiger in their final years I don't believe it's possible they survived beyond 1950.

But there are others who know the subject better than me, who take a different view. I will just say that in private a couple of the most prominent people in the field have views which may surprise you.

Funnily enough there actually is an investigation either planned or underway in Cape York, Queensland, by a couple of researchers from James Cook University. Quite what this is all about is a mystery to many, myself included. They cite two sightings, neither of which are particularly good, and are from the 1980's? It seems to be the view that this is in fact a general fauna survey, with the tiger attached to it to generate a bit of pzazz.

Tigers haven't been recorded on the Mainland for around 3,000 years, the evidence for a 19thC population in South Australia proposed by Paddle in 2000, having turned out to be a laughably poor piece of fact checking.

Last official search in Tasmania I'm aware of is the early 80's, after the Naarding sighting. But, there are very sensible people doing private research there. There's LM here, and Mike Williams (who is nobody's fool), also there's the Thylacine Research Unit. They are very straight and professional.

Edit: I forgot to mention Nick Mooney, the man who headed the last search, and was the state's official field researcher. He's retired, but I think he's still going. He knows more than anyone I think.

Hopefully its correct this time. We have so many deliberate hoaxes and general misconceptions that it is difficult to know when the real thing appears. Most school teachers are serious people and not given to hoaxes; however they can mis judge a sighting. I hope he's right.

Hopefully its correct this time. We have so many deliberate hoaxes and general misconceptions that it is difficult to know when the real thing appears. Most school teachers are serious people and not given to hoaxes; however they can mis judge a sighting. I hope he's right.

He's not Brig, it's a canid of some sort almost certainly a fox. It's hoping like that because one of its legs is injured, it's very clear in the video.

Hippity Hoppity. Looks like a tassie tiger's gait.

Once again, no clear shots. The way that thing was slowly loping, you'd expect the photographer to be able to run around and get the sun behind him a bit so we could see the thing clearly, but no. For me it is a manufactured video.

Photoshop?

Dog perhaps?

Dingo- although they are perhaps not as bulky as the 'creature' in the footage.

Thing is with foxes, they're covered in fuzz. I think what we might be seeing here is fur rather than bulk, but because the footage is so distant we can't tell.

Thing is with foxes, they're covered in fuzz. I think what we might be seeing here is fur rather than bulk, but because the footage is so distant we can't tell.

However the creatures tail does not look 'fuzzy' OR, however point taken.

However the creatures tail does not look 'fuzzy' OR, however point taken.

Mange routinely starts in the tail apparently, I'm no expert.

IMG_0399.JPG

and

Can I ask you both why that is?
I don't know. We see plenty of foxes around here, but usually scampering across roads all sleekit like. I've never seen one canter casually like that but I agree it is highly likely to be a fox.

Unfortunately it probably is not a Tasmanian wolf. However, it probably is no fox either. That tail is not fuzzy enough for a fox and the animal appears too well stacked to have mange. It does have a thick tail base but some canids do.I am well acquainted with Brer Fox, there being numerous foxes in my vicinity. I certainly do not know what the beastie is; I just can't see a fox there.

There is no doubt in my mind that (tail aside) that is the physical structure of a fox.

Dont think it's a Fox but do think it's lame what ever it is,

There's an excellent trio of photos up on Facebook, one showing a still from this film, one showing a thylacine from Hobart Zoo dropped into it, and another of a fox placed into the scene. They all look like the same sort of resolution nd look pretty much similar. It was a real eye opener.

Would love them to be alive and well.

Not to be argumenative but the tail cannot be set aside and that is no fox's tail.

Same here, RaM. But we still cannot jump to conclusions.

Firstly this is none of my doing I wouldn't have a clue how to, it was devised and created by a chap from here https://www.une.edu.au/about-une/ac...ction-evolution-and-anatomy-research-fear-lab

And was posted on FB, as a little test, rather than a finished article as in the link. I won't give the man's name, as I'm not sure about the business of naming people from FB here. But he is credited at the link.

Try doing this, go to this webpage and don't cheat by reading the article first, but scroll down to near the bottom of the page until you come to the big image with the three photos (labelled A, B, and C are). Now, one of the images is a still from the film, one is a fox taken from elsewhere and popped into the background, another is a thylacine image from Hobart Zoo dropped in there.

See if you can if you can spot the thylacine, and see what you think of the footage then.

Here's the link

http://www.wherelightmeetsdark.com....ay-thylacine-moonta-sunrise-further-analysis/

The pronounced vertical bouncing of the posterior reminds me of a dog with a rear leg or foot injury.

Back