• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

all hope is lost ... reminding me of the embarrassing frippery released around prometheus ... where is the noir ? and jared leto ? fffs

ah cinema city ... fond memories ... i know it puts me in the minority (report), but i prefer the voiceover

Yeah, it HAS to be seen on the big screen to fully appreciate it.

Pedant alert!

Sorry Swifty, wasn't Alpha Pappa premiered at The Hollywood Cinema in the concrete block that is Anglia square?

It's stunning. I saw it on its original release way back in the 80s when it had a voice over.
envious of that

saw one of the cuts at cornerhouse 1 in manchester, late nineties ... i had a classic brown raincoat at the time, hip length, narrow lapel, i clearly recall the movie was so immersive (in the most real sense of the word) that i was unable to shake it the whole length of oxford street ... its the best of cinema

the coat soon went to an austrian girlfriend of mine with a sinead o connor cut ...

Pedant alert!

Sorry Swifty, wasn't Alpha Pappa premiered at The Hollywood Cinema in the concrete block that is Anglia square?
Yes it was sorry, I've edited that to correct although sadly I wasn't there .. I did watch some of it being filmed in Cromer though ..

envious of that

saw one of the cuts at cornerhouse 1 in manchester, late nineties ... i had a classic brown raincoat at the time, hip length, narrow lapel, i clearly recall the movie was so immersive (in the most real sense of the word) that i was unable to shake it the whole length of oxford street ... its the best of cinema

the coat soon went to an austrian girlfriend of mine with a sinead o connor cut ...
I saw it in 1982. Can't remember if it had a voiceover or not.
I was walking in town with my girlfriend and I suggested going to see a film in the matinee slot. The next feature on was Blade Runner. I knew nothing about it, but girlfriend said 'it's science fiction' - which was enough for me.
When I came out, I was saying 'wow - I've just seen the future of cinema - that was the best SF film I've EVER seen'. I kept raving about it. Girlfriend was somewhat less enthusiastic, as (it turned out) she wasn't much into SF.
Probably one of many reasons why we split up.

in fact after watching blade runner 1982 last week, the single only part that looked dated was deckards wheels ... ive owned too many opel mantas in my time (10) to let it slip by ... everything else still looked perfect however

I saw it in 1982. Can't remember if it had a voiceover or not.
I was walking in town with my girlfriend and I suggested going to see a film in the matinee slot. The next feature on was Blade Runner. I knew nothing about it, but girlfriend said 'it's science fiction' - which was enough for me.
When I came out, I was saying 'wow - I've just seen the future of cinema - that was the best SF film I've EVER seen'. I kept raving about it. Girlfriend was somewhat less enthusiastic, as (it turned out) she wasn't much into SF.
Probably one of many reasons why we split up.

The 1982 version had the voiceover, saw it in Norwich (but not at Cinema City!...used to be a volunteer duty manager on some Sunday evenings, back when it was an independent Art House sort of place.)

just hung this ...
6tag_050917-191411.jpg

pfffff ... more of a canard i would have said

i must be jonesing, i read through the 1982 shooting script last night, incredible how little dialog there is and how so much of it is ... in passing, rather than expository, save the voiceover, which i like and even that is sparing ... that limpid and highfalutin jared leto "featurette" comes across as utterly deficient by comparison

I liked the voice over, it was the first viewing version I saw although I remember it wasn't popular at that time with all of the talent behind Blade Runner. Film Noir has traditionally had that "The broad walked into my office so I knew it was just another Tuesday" kind of babble ..

yeah the voiceover anchored the whole thing in trad jazz noir, ive always preferred it despite the subsequent historical post-rationalisation

yeah the voiceover anchored the whole thing in trad jazz noir, ive always preferred it despite the subsequent historical post-rationalisation
Re Deckard : "Skin jobs .. that's what he called them. In history books, he was the kind of person who called black men niggers" ....

Just been watching the blu-ray on my new big telly. Just out of curiosity I decided to watch it in black and white with the contrast high and the brightness slightly lower than normal. It looked stunning, black and white really fitted the mood of the movie. Now if only Sir Ridders would consider doing a proper B&W version - he's done just about everything else to it over the years.

cf. george millers black & chrome fury road, even got a release in theatres

cf. george millers black & chrome fury road, even got a release in theatres
The Blu Ray of Logan also has a black and white version which is awesome.

And The Mist too.

My favourite version as well. It made Deckard into a PI. 21st Century Philip Marlowe.

The upbeat ending of the original where we see Deckard's car drive into the nice green mountains can fuck the fuck off though.

The upbeat ending of the original where we see Deckard's car drive into the nice green mountains can fuck the fuck off though.

That was the build up to the crossover sequel where Deckard and Rachel end up in the Overlook Hotel. :)

Back