• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Blade Runner & Blade Runner 2049

I liked the voice over, it was the first viewing version I saw although I remember it wasn't popular at that time with all of the talent behind Blade Runner. Film Noir has traditionally had that "The broad walked into my office so I knew it was just another Tuesday" kind of babble ..

Barry Norman liked the voiceover version too. I saw it in the cinema (not first time round, in a revival) and thoroughly enjoyed it, you're spot on about the film noir connection, only trouble was Ford was sick of the whole project by that time and spoke it in as bored a tone as possible to convey his displeasure. Maybe that adds to it?

Saw Scott's first re-edit in the same cinema, enjoyed that too, but apart from losing the voiceover and the bit at the end where they drive off, I couldn't tell much difference. I suppose there's the unicorn in that edit?

Barry Norman liked the voiceover version too. I saw it in the cinema (not first time round, in a revival) and thoroughly enjoyed it, you're spot on about the film noir connection, only trouble was Ford was sick of the whole project by that time and spoke it in as bored a tone as possible to convey his displeasure. Maybe that adds to it?

Saw Scott's first re-edit in the same cinema, enjoyed that too, but apart from losing the voiceover and the bit at the end where they drive off, I couldn't tell much difference. I suppose there's the unicorn in that edit?
Ford being sick of the project probably helped him characterise Deckard's 'fed up with life' portrayal, I agree .. I've also read somewhere that there was zero chemistry between Ford and Sean Young on set .. and wasn't there some kind of crossover footage used for The Shining (or The Shining mountain shots were pinched to use for the Blade Runner ending, which ever way round it went) ... and that Blade Runner unicorn shot was about as relevant as that blonde haired Kung Fu kid who turned up for no discernible reason at the end of Cabin Fever other than to shout "Pancake!" a lot .. I hated that unicorn ..

Ford being sick of the project probably helped him characterise Deckard's 'fed up with life' portrayal .. I've also read somewhere that there was zero chemistry between Ford and Sean Young on set .. and wasn't there some kind of crossover footage used for The Shining (or The Shining mountain shots were pinched to use for the Blade Runner ending, which ever way round it went) ... and that Blade Runner unicorn shot was about as relevant as that blonde haired kid Kung Fu who turned for no reason at the end of Cabin Fever and shouted "Pancake!" a lot .. I hated that unicorn ..

You must have despised Legend, then.

Sean Young was getting a reputation of being "difficult" at the time, which may be why she and Harrison didn't hit it off.

You must have despised Legend, then.

I was more a fan of The Company Of Wolves, I don't remember enjoying Legend, or The Never Ending Story, or Willow ..

I was more a fan of The Company Of Wolves, I don't remember enjoying Legend, or The Never Ending Story, or Willow ..

I'm with you on Willow, it's aggressively mediocre, but Neverending Story was a birthday treat for me as a kid! The Company of Wolves, er, wasn't. But it was the source of much debate at school after a TV showing the previous evening.

I think the unicorn was unused footage from Legend wasn't it?

unicorn dream was from scotts legend, always felt out of place (i mean, daylight ?)

winding road and rolling hills from the shining, always jarred (i mean, daylight ?)

i think ford being saboteurial by the time the voiceover was cut is apochryphal, its just that nobody thought it would actually get used in release

as for sean young ... like the best of women she was undoubtedly a total pain in the ast, but her performance was in pitch throughout ... its a long-shot pome for a broke player, but im wondering if she ll rock up in the sequent ...

(was funny reading the shooting script and coming across the direction A LITTLE ROUGH-HOUSING ...)

My problem with the voice over is that it doesn't add anything to the film. Apparently the studio thought the film was too obtuse and needed exposition. So we get Harrison Ford telling you exactly what you can see on the screen. It's supposed to be "Show, don't tell", not "Show, and tell as well in case someone doesn't get it".

Voiceovers

Deckard:
They don't advertise for killers in a newspaper. That was my profession. Ex-cop, ex-Blade Runner, ex-killer.

Deckard:
The charmer's name was Gaff. I'd seen him around. Bryant must have upped him to the Blade Runner unit. That gibberish he talked was city-speak, guttertalk, a mishmash of Japanese, Spanish, German, what have you. I didn't really need a translator. I knew the lingo, every good cop did. But I wasn't going to make it easier for him.

Deckard:
Skin jobs, that's what Bryant called replicants. In history books he is the kind of cop used to call black men niggers.

Deckard :
I'd quit because I'd had a belly full of killing. But then I'd rather be a killer than a victim. And that's exactly what Bryant's threat about little people meant. So I hooked in once more, thinking that if I couldn't take it, I'd split later. I didn't have to worry about Gaff. He was brown-nosing for a promotion, so he didn't want me back anyway.

Deckard:
I didn't know whether Leon gave Holden a legit address. But it was the only lead I had, so I checked it out -- Whatever was in the bathtub was not human. Replicants don't have scales. And family photos? Replicants didn't have families either.

Deckard:
Tyrell really did a job on Rachael. Right down to a snapshot of a mother she never had, a daughter she never was. Replicants weren't supposed to have feelings. Neither were Blade Runners. What the hell was happening to me? Leon's pictures had to be as phony as Rachael's. I didn't know why a replicant would collect photos. Maybe they were like Rachael. They needed memories.

Deckard :
The report would be routine retirement of a replicant which didn't make me feel any better about shooting a woman in the back. There it was again. Feeling, in myself. For her, for Rachael.

Deckard :
I don't know why he saved my life. Maybe in those last moments he loved life more than he ever had before. Not just his life, anybody's life, my life. All he'd wanted were the same answers the rest of us want. Where did I come from? Where am I going? How long have I got? All I could do was sit there and watch him die.

Deckard :
Gaff had been there, and let her live. Four years, he figured. He was wrong. Tyrell had told me Rachael was special: no termination date. I didn't know how long we had together. Who does?

unicorn dream was from scotts legend, always felt out of place (i mean, daylight ?)

winding road and rolling hills from the shining, always jarred (i mean, daylight ?)

i think ford being saboteurial by the time the voiceover was cut is apochryphal, its just that nobody thought it would actually get used in release

as for sean young ... like the best of women she was undoubtedly a total pain in the ast, but her performance was in pitch throughout ... its a long-shot pome for a broke player, but im wondering if she ll rock up in the sequent ...

(was funny reading the shooting script and coming across the direction A LITTLE ROUGH-HOUSING ...)
The only way I can see Sean Young reprising her role as Rachel (the replicant who possibly got a reprise on her life span because of the her character's termination date factor ) would be for Young to return as a 50 years + old replicant or as a CGI recreation and I wouldn't want to see either in Blade Runner 2049.

i dont know, she still looks the part ... although im sure shes still a total PIFTA

but knowing scott we re more likely to see warrant officer ripley, sadly

The theatrical version with voice-over, Shining outtakes and no unicorn is currently available on Sky Cinema.

Recent experience has taught me to be very wary of getting overenthusiastic over a new Ridley Scott film.
its sure to be a stinker, might as well have cast ryan reynolds

I believe the unicorn in Blade Runner was especially shot for that film, though it might have inspired Scott to make Legend next. It was on his mind, anyway.

I believe the unicorn in Blade Runner was especially shot for that film, though it might have inspired Scott to make Legend next. It was on his mind, anyway.
According to an old Video Watchdog, it was test-footage for Legend, which eventually found a home in the BR Director's Cut.

Cool .. and I've just decided that Captain 'you're not cop, you're little people now' Bryant who forced Deckard to deal with the wave of Nexus 6 escapees was in on it all along RE. the new trailer : "We Were being hunted!" ..

I always wondered if Bryant was a replicant. He had a suspicious amount of family photos on his desk.
But then why?
Maybe everyone was a replicant but just didn't know... :thought:

scott being replicated might explain the "different direction" his films have taken of late

I still say The Counselor is great, wacky fun and Gods and Kings is kind of interesting for being a Biblical epic from a self-proclaimed atheist. I haven't written him off.

never saw em

i am tangenting however and seeing parallels between scott/blade runner and parker/angel heart

never saw em

i am tangenting however and seeing parallels between scott/blade runner and parker/angel heart

Blade Runner's a better film than Angel Heart, but that's a good point. Mind you, many a director went through their noir phase in the 80s.

true true ... but judging from the assorted online paraphernalia that now passes for marketing spend, we can look forward to quasi-heavy themes being rammed so far down our throats we ll have to loosen our laces

true true ... but judging from the assorted online paraphernalia that now passes for marketing spend, we can look forward to quasi-heavy themes being rammed so far down our throats we ll have to loosen our laces
Something that's got on my nerves a bit about the teasers we've had so far for Blade Runner 2049 ? .. each successive teaser has been 95% identical to the last ones so in that endeavour, they've succeed in being teases I suppose. AICN's Harry Knowles has linked to another new minute or so long teaser that I fell for clicking on .. that again still only shows re edited stuff we've already seen in the other teasers with a few half a second flashes of slightly different angles .. I'm still looking forward to it though ..

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/78514

blade2049.jpg

Back