• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

TV/Movie Remakes We'd Like To See

I've said before bring back Sapphire and Steel

Can't like this more. And as I keep saying, the beeb should do seasons of Quatermass while Dr.Who is off the screen and nail a sci-fi saturday slot through most of the year against Cowell's ITV karaoke shows.

I'd also like to see a British Channel do a showcase of live action British Comic Strip characters. Obviously Dan Dare and the Mekon but also other stories ranging from Janus Stark up to Grimly Feendish.

I'd love to see a Dan Dare film. I don't know what's held them back in the past.
Mind you, it may not be popular with millennials.

"the beeb should do seasons of Quatermass..."

Agreed. The danger would be though that, instead of the crotchety old and vaguely chauvinist professor, the BBC would relaunch him as a kung-fu kicking, bisexual, women's rights activist (if Russell T Davies and Mark Gatiss have anything to do with it).

I wouldn't mind a younger genius if the series was done right. Anyway, it's all wishful thinking on my part but it could be a nice DVD revenue stream for the Beeb.

Can't like this more. And as I keep saying, the beeb should do seasons of Quatermass while Dr.Who is off the screen and nail a sci-fi saturday slot through most of the year against Cowell's ITV karaoke shows.

Creator P.J. Hammond apparently vetoed a remake of Sapphire and Steel, so you're out of luck there. You could always watch the Torchwood episodes he wrote, if you're desperate.

As for Quatermass, it was brought back about ten years ago with a special live edition, but the Pope died early into it and it didn't get the viewing figures to justify doing more. Sheer bad luck, I suppose.

When I was watching Buffy years ago I often thought Anthony Head would make a great new Professor Q. I still think it would stand a chance of working out.

beeb should do seasons of Quatermass while Dr.Who is off the screen and nail a sci-fi saturday slot through most of the year against Cowell's ITV karaoke shows.
you do karaoke a disservice !

The Mrs wants to see The Abyss remade because it's got a shit ending, "It's got everything in it, drowning which fascinates and terrifies me, it's suspenseful, it's got submarines and Micheal Biehn with Ed Harris .. they've got to keep the water alien special F/X CG the same though .. and it's a love story, it's got everything apart from a good ending .. it's my favourite film. I don't want to see a bloody great big bit of polystyrene bobbing up in the ocean at the end!." :rollingw:... spot on IMO ..

Neverwhere. I think they could do an amazing job on a remake with modern technology. And it's still an amazing story - I even still like the old version, but dear deity-of-choice, they could do something better with the Beast than a rather large pig.

The Mrs wants to see The Abyss remade because it's got a shit ending, "It's got everything in it, drowning which fascinates and terrifies me, it's suspenseful, it's got submarines and Micheal Biehn with Ed Harris .. they've got to keep the water alien special F/X CG the same though .. and it's a love story, it's got everything apart from a good ending .. it's my favourite film. I don't want to see a bloody great big bit of polystyrene bobbing up in the ocean at the end!." :rollingw:... spot on IMO ..
Is this the director's cut with the tidal wave?

The problem here is twofold. The first is that Quatermass had always distinguished itself from other SF shows through it's sense of realism. Professor Bernard Quatermass is a real flesh and blood character with a timeline involving real historical landmarks (reference jis sometimes made to his being in the Second World War, for example) Thus the real Quatermass would have died, probably, somewhere in the Eighties. So any revamp would either have to go back to the past (and risk being just yet another period costume drama), or it would have to be something along the lines of a Son of Quatermass.

The latter might just have legs, but then there's the other problem. That type of elderly-mandarin-expert-science boff figure scarcely exists in our culture anymore - except as a comedy caricature (cf The Simpsons). The kids of today just wouldn't relate to him, I feel. That is why the noughties attempted revamp of The Quatermass Experiment didn't really come off. They cast the youthful Jason Flemyng as the professor and he simply lacked the gravitas to carry off the role.

Some shows have to remain in the era to which they belong.

Can we talk about radio too?

I've always thought that The Stranger Chronicles would make a great ongoing radio drama series.

For those who don't know, The Stranger was a Who spin off written by a fan and starring Who related actors - in particular Colin Baker as Solomon - the Stranger. At fist it was just a Who tribute but then it soon veered off in its own direction and became something more like Sapphire and Steel. The plot is hard to explain, but there are these interdimensional terrorists involved in earthly affairs.

There were both videos and audios of it, but the audios were way better because the drama is not really visually based.Plus Colin Baker - actually - is a good voice actor.

I can see it bein g a long running late night show on Radio 4 Extra, listened to by a small but devoted core of fans

I'd love to see a Dan Dare film. I don't know what's held them back in the past.
Mind you, it may not be popular with millennials.
100% with you on this choice .. my Dad gave me his old Eagle annuals from his childhood when I was a nipper and I was a faithful Eagle comic reader in the early 80's .. visually, it would have to be as a 50's looking production with the borderline art deco streamlined rocket ships and a brylcream'd up Dan Dare though .. I'd even suggest JJ Abrams to direct.

Not so much a remake request, but I'd like to go back in time and have firm words with Spielberg RE Saving Private Ryan along the lines of "You do realise that there were also other nation's soldiers other than the USA soldiers liberating France on D Day and beyond Steve?" .. a classic film but that always niggles me.

Any of the scary childrens' programs from the 70s might be interesting. (I don't really like remakes to be truthful)

100% with you on this choice .. my Dad gave me his old Eagle annuals from his childhood when I was a nipper and I was a faithful Eagle comic reader in the early 80's .. visually, it would have to be as a 50's looking production with the borderline art deco streamlined rocket ships and a brylcream'd up Dan Dare though .. I'd even suggest JJ Abrams to direct.

Still waiting for that Doomlord movie...

2 Girls 1 Cup - 3D

Last edited:
Thus the real Quatermass would have died, probably, somewhere in the Eighties. So any revamp would either have to go back to the past (and risk being just yet another period costume drama), or it would have to be something along the lines of a Son of Quatermass.

I dunno though, wasn't Sherlock Holmes miraculously revived to help the Allies on-screen in the last war?

Back