• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

TV/Movie Remakes We'd Like To See

Not so much a remake request, but I'd like to go back in time and have firm words with Spielberg RE Saving Private Ryan along the lines of "You do realise that there were also other nation's soldiers other than the USA soldiers liberating France on D Day and beyond Steve?" .. a classic film but that always niggles me.

It was a story about 6 American soldiers looking for another American Soldier following the assualt on Omaha beach. We were at Sword, Gold.and Juno.

It wasnt a documentery about the Allied Invasion of France.

Last edited:
It was a story about 6 American soldiers looking for another American Soldier following the assualt on Omaha beach. We were at Sword, Gold.and Juno.

It wasnt a documentery about the Allied Invasion of France.
True but still, they would have come across at least one person with, for example, an English accent surely on their travels ..

Why? Omaha was about 25 miles away from Gold
Because France was being traversed by different allied nations after D-Day, I still feel it would be unlikely that the only people around inland under cover would have been French, German and American.

edit: .. unless of course I am wrong and all other invading nations except America jumped back on the boats and went back home?.. no sarcasm intended.

edit: I've found this link with a pic of British troop advancing although I do take your point about the large distance between Omaha and Gold making it less likely for The Americans and British to have bumped into each other.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/what-happened-after-d-day

Last edited:
SOUL MAN - Two Zero One Eight

An African American student has to navigate social justice warriors at a contemporary U.S. campus by whiting up with make up to survive condescending snowflakes of all races trying to patronise, as long as it's awkward to watch by anyone (who isn't a U.S. campus student so will miss the sarcasm anyway) and is better than 'White Chicks' .. in an edgy way with the internet mentioned a lot in humour situations and perhaps even a 60 year old white male lecturer doing some sort of classroom 'booty shake' comedy scene so we can all laugh at an old white man.

The original ..

Because France was being traversed by different allied nations after D-Day, I still feel it would be unlikely that the only people around inland under cover would have been French, German and American. ...

It wasn't just likely - it was the result of deliberate planning. Northern France was being traversed by different allied nations' forces, but they weren't all traversing it together ...

The Normandy campaign was subdivided and prosecuted by different forces with strictly defined respective zones of entry, inland operations, objectives, and so forth. There wasn't any general link-up or mixture among the various Allied forces. Indeed, it was necessary to maintain some measure of segregation to avoid undue friendly fire clashes and casualties.

Here's an old infographic / map illustrating the overall flow and the separate 'threads of operation' within ...

map-dDayInvasion.jpg

It wasn't just likely - it was the result of deliberate planning. Northern France was being traversed by different allied nations' forces, but they weren't all traversing it together ...

The Normandy campaign was subdivided and prosecuted by different forces with strictly defined respective zones of entry, inland operations, objectives, and so forth. There wasn't any general link-up or mixture among the various Allied forces. Indeed, it was necessary to maintain some measure of segregation to avoid undue friendly fire clashes and casualties.

Here's an old infographic / map illustrating the overall flow and the separate 'threads of operation' within ...

View attachment 6240

Interesting .. thanks! ..

Because France was being traversed by different allied nations after D-Day, I still feel it would be unlikely that the only people around inland under cover would have been French, German and American.

edit: .. unless of course I am wrong and all other invading nations except America jumped back on the boats and went back home?.. no sarcasm intended.

edit: I've found this link with a pic of British troop advancing although I do take your point about the large distance between Omaha and Gold making it less likely for The Americans and British to have bumped into each other.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/history/what-happened-after-d-day

I dont think it was a delibrate slight against the British though which is what you are implying. It was just easier not to have them in. Different uniforms, guns etc, casting would have different. It would have just been extra padding and not particularly accurate. If they'd been included you'd have just got history fanboys moaning about "how did the Brits get to Omha?"

An American ,Joe McCarthy, flew with the Damn Busters but he was never portrayed even though he commanded one of the planes. Nobody ever criticized that film for being anti American. How many black or Indian pilots are portrayed in The Battle of Britain? How many British pilots portrayed in war films are from working class backgrounds?

You can pick apart a lot of war films but this criticism of SPR isnt justified.

I dont think it was a delibrate slight against the British though which is what you are implying. It was just easier not to have them in. Different uniforms, guns etc, casting would have different. It would have just been extra padding and not particularly accurate. If they'd been included you'd have just got history fanboys moaning about "how did the Brits get to Omha?"

An American ,Joe McCarthy, flew with the Damn Busters but he was never portrayed even though he commanded one of the planes. Nobody ever criticized that film for being anti American. How many black or Indian pilots are portrayed in The Battle of Britain? How many British pilots portrayed in war films are from working class backgrounds?

You can pick apart a lot of war films but this criticism of SPR isnt justified.
I get that Spielberg was trying to make a war film, not an advert for Benneton

I don't think he was deliberately slighting non U.S. nations, just leaving them out for convenience of story telling a bit like early 80's kids toys adverts didn't deliberately exclude non white kids, it just happened that way until people started noticing. After that almost every advert had a person (unrealistic) of every colour all in one room per advert .. except SPR wasn't trying to sell toys to kids, it was trying to be historically accurate and did a better job than most war films so far, going that extra mile, speaking to war veterans for research, recreating tiny details authentically etc ... but I'm sticking to my guns that we should have and would have seen other nation's (not just British) allies .. somewhere .. at some point, even if the cap had had some background actors mumbling in non US accents in the background so as to not break the flow of the true story line .... not this bloke though ..

:fetish:
Just kidding ... but not this bloke though ..

On a slightly more serious note though, Alex Dudgeon was a UK soldier who'd marched across France, he was the youngest of his group, stumbled across the first machine gun he'd ever seen and was allowed to hang on to it by his captain, he described to me in great detail about four French women who were waving as his unit walked past then all lifted their skirts and flashed their fannies :) .. Alex searched the dead German fellow he'd taken the gun from and found some jam and flour .. they holed up over night in a bombed church and his captain told Alex that, seeing as he was the one who'd found the machine gun, he was going to be on watch out duty that night while the other men slept ... the next morning, Alex dug a hole in a part of the shattered church floor, made a makeshift oven and made our lads crappy jam tarts ..

When Alex was in his 80's in 2001, he had necrosis of the flesh in one of his feet, it was causing him quite a bit of pain and in his nightmares, a German was a pushing a bayonet through his foot .. I ended up saying "Private Dudgeon, wake up! that is an order!" .. only way I could wake him up and then he'd make me promise not to tell the other men in his ward bay that he'd been crying .. then I'd make him a cup of tea and he'd say whatever he wanted to until I had to go to my next job and then he'd (hopefully) get back to sleep.

Last edited:
I'm not normally into CGI eye fest films but seeing as Tomb Raider' Laura Croft started out as a computer game character, I'm OK with this remake trailer for Tomb Raider .. and it has added Nick Frost!

I get that Spielberg was trying to make a war film, not an advert for Benneton

I don't think he was deliberately slighting non U.S. nations, just leaving them out for convenience of story telling a bit like early 80's kids toys adverts didn't deliberately exclude non white kids, it just happened that way until people started noticing. After that almost every advert had a person (unrealistic) of every colour all in one room per advert .. except SPR wasn't trying to sell toys to kids, it was trying to be historically accurate and did a better job than most war films so far, going that extra mile, speaking to war veterans for research, recreating tiny details authentically etc ... but I'm sticking to my guns that we should have and would have seen other nation's (not just British) allies .. somewhere .. at some point, even if the cap had had some background actors mumbling in non US accents in the background so as to not break the flow of the true story line .... not this bloke though ..

edit: whoops just spotted Enola's better explanation.

Bloody hell Swifty. If Saving Private Ryan was set in the Battle of Anzio then I'd be quite happy with US and British soldiers sharing foxholes, (possibly)

It wasn't.

If you take the Battle Ramelle in the film being based on the attack over the causeway at La Fiere this was in the opposite direction the British were heading. The battle was north west of Caen.

On Enola's map it is Sainte Mere-Eglise.

6f077d73e6b17164951ef416572ad920--d-day-invasion-normandy-invasion.jpg

Last edited:

View attachment 6240

Your also not going to want to put troops of different nations together as they have different ways of doing things, equipment, communication, command structure, logistics, etc. War is confusing enough and throwing different armies together would just make things more chaotic.

You look at modern conflicts with the US and British and they deploy their forces in different geographical areas. Sometimes a nation will move out of an area and another nation will move in but I can't recall two nations sharing the same place. Except with special forces on joint operations.

It's possible in say Operation Market Garden that US and British troops did mix together and it's possible it happened in the med. I just don't know enough to see if that's right or not.

The only Brits who could have been in SPR where the Royal Navy who helped get the, I think, US 101 onto the beach.

Holy fart toking heck Naughty Felid !

What did the Royal Navy crew members do after the beach landings, did they all just go back home? (genuine question) .. how about the miss drops reported on both sides ? .. yes it was planned that each unit did it's own thing in different directions, obviously ....... I wasn't there so I'll never know but by sheer numbers of men dropped from different nations alone, separated by a relatively small distance or not, I find it hard to believe that the US troops didn't encounter, at any time by foot or by vehicle, any other non U.S. allies (apart from the French of course) although I do appreciate yours and EnolaGai's maps so cheers for those.

.. and this is quite interesting btw ..

http://www.imcdb.org/movie_120815-Saving-Private-Ryan.html

My late uncle was on a merchant navy ship on D-Day, which despite the fact he sat on board until the shooting was done then delivered a lot of spam meant he was entitled to and received the Legion D'honneur. He applied to join the British Legion a number of times and was rebuffed because he was 'merchant' until he got the medal in France, then suddenly they were phoning him up to join.

He wound up getting a buglar and a full military funeral, funny how a hunk of tin makes a difference.

Back