• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Vehicular Vibrations And Their Effects On Scargy.

Today at work I was walking up and down the building doing stuff when I noticed a low, strong humming noise, along with a vibration.

After a while I found that I could only hear/feel it in one area, and that in just that place I felt uneasy and a bit nauseous.

I guessed that it was a noisy vehicle outside but when I went to the door or window couldn't feel/hear it as much, so it was difficult to pin down which one it was.

After 10 minutes of interesting mood swings I went outside and found a big refrigerated food van being unloaded right next to the 'sad' area.

So the vibrations from the van seemed to be giving me the heeby-geebies, just as we've heard they can. I'm WELL impressed.

Good job there wasn't a *brown note*.

My post about the effects of the noisy vehicle is in the wrong thread. I thought I was in the 'Minor Strangeness' one.
This is what you get for using a phone in a moving vehicle while wearing grubby varifocals.

Yith: rectified.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is what you get for using a phone in a moving vehicle while wearing grubby varifocals.
Don't you tend drop it, when the steering wheel rotates?

I usually try stick mine to the horn with chewing-gum, and (since safety is my byword) am never without my hands-free elastic band headmount. Everything usually hangs together, even when I Tokyo drift at 90+ around the corners, in my Mitsubishi Evo.

And remember...a cryptic sign, perhaps not of the times, but apparently of the present.
photo.jpg

(I never do. It always gives bad advice (mine told me to put everything on Red 19, which I did, and I lost everything). I shall never trust the disincarnate voice of Joanna Lumley ever again. Unless she begs :hapdan:)

It's much MUCH worse than that.
So: you drive the car whilst sitting upon the roof, using a cunning combination of ropes and broomhandles, and have a cast-iron sink attached to a chain, for use as a substitute handbrake (a combination land-anchor/wheel-chock/troll-killer)??

I have terrible trouble with spoons
Helpful hint: you should avoid being a stirrer.

And may I enquire: is it tea, table, dessert, soup, medicine, Wether, or is it all spoons in general?

You've got to get a grip, and drawer a line under this problem. Cutleryphobia is more common than many people will admit.

Although the suffers will shake (and, of course, never stir) at the prospect of spooning (there are many variations, or so I'm told), slurping from a saucer, or sucking one's soup from a side-dish, really all gives the sufferer's dinnerfears too much prominence.

Last edited:
So: you drive the car whilst sitting upon the roof, using a cunning combination of ropes and broomhandles, and have a cast-iron sink attached to a chain, for use as a substitute handbrake (a combination land-anchor/wheel-chock/troll-killer)??

Who said I was in a car? :tank:

"Battle tank?". Does it have a "shooting gun"?
Ah, yes, but you're on the wrong track if you think it's a meaningless tautology.

A battle tank (or Main Battle Tank) has high mobility and good weight compromise, when compared to either a heavy tank (all fire and limited movement) or a self-propelled gun (which is kind of an unarmoured under-armed nearlytank).

But anyway- apologies for all this AFV erotica. I am neither a wargamer nor a tank enthusiast....but I have had some experiences of tanking.

Going back to strange vibrations...

There's a particular spot in my bedroom where I can hear a distinct buzz. I know where the noise is coming from; it's from a small fish tank I have in there.

But it's only in one place that I can hear that buzz; everywhere else in the room I hear it just as a hum. It's a sort of bubble, about twice the size of my head, from what I can work out from moving my head around.

Last edited:
It's a sort of bubble, about twice the size of my head,
This is a node:anti-node of soundwaves, created via reflected pressurefronts and additive/constructive interference from multipoint sources. It's at an accoustic focal point.

@maximus otter ....you may be right, but more likely we're both wrong. Note that the main bogie wheels of a T55 go 2+3, and a T34 go 1+4. Whereas that emoticon has 5 in a row.

Perhaps it's actually a self-propelled gun.

But tanks for your comment anyway, Товарищ

Last edited:
If you have two or more flat panel computer monitors (at the office, or at home) try having a conversation on the phone, and then move your head in towards an imaginery focal point about 10"/250mm away from them.

You'll hear a strange echoing/buzz of reflected sound and buzz....it's weird.

Helpful hint: you should avoid being a stirrer.

And may I enquire: is it tea, table, dessert, soup, medicine, Wether, or is it all spoons in general?

You've got to get a grip, and drawer a line under this problem. Cutleryphobia is more common than many people will admit.

Although the suffers will shake (and, of course, never stir) at the prospect of spooning (there are many variations, or so I'm told), slurping from a saucer, or sucking one's soup from a side-dish, really all gives the sufferer's dinnerfears too much prominence.
It is teaspoons. I feel that either the teaspoons or myself regularly switch from one teaspooniverse to another leaving me baffled.

It all started some years ago when I was washing the dishes. Whenever I wash the dishes, no matter how hard I try to check for them, when I turn the bowl over a teaspoon falls out. On this fateful day I turned over the bowl and no teaspoon. The jolt this gave me was like electricity and similar to when I found out about dilemna. For the next wee while, there was no teaspoon when suddenly JOLT. The teaspoons returned.

At the moment the washing up teaspoons have left me, taking one of their number with them completely as we only have five of our set of six. I suppose if I just wait we will end up with seven?

Last edited:
Weird..over here in the Alanis Morrisette factory, we're desperate for a knife, but swimming in bloody spoons....
Like rain on your wedding day. (Not entirely ironic or even unexpected in England).

But seriously. Sort of. Why metal? Keys in my friends' house. And cutlery too. Min with the teaspoons. And my no doubt oft recounted here experience of metal things (jewellery, watches) spontaneously breaking the night my friend died, years ago... Why metal? Some of you know science words so... is there a theory?

Missing cutlery was an ongoing problem in a large organisation where I used to work. It wasn't a Fortean one, though. Many staff members were in the habit of buying food in the cafeteria and returning to their desks to eat but they were lax about returning the dirty cutlery. This obviously became a problem for the cafeteria, and occasionally an email would be sent reminding staff to return these items. The cafeteria manager handled the situation with good humour. The email's subject line was "Fork Amnesty Day." It stated trays would be left in various spots in the main lobby on a certain date. Staff were invited to retrieve the stashes of cutlery from their desks and deposit them anonymously in the trays. No questions asked.

over here in the Alanis Morrisette factory, we're desperate for a knife
How many do you produce off the conveyor in a day? I must say, the use of a knife does seem a bit harsh.

But, I suppose you've got to ensure that just the strongest Alaniss survive on, into breeding maturity (is the plural Alanii, I hadn't thought of this until now?)

Why metal? Some of you know science words so... is there a theory?
In theory, there might be a theory to explain this.

But my money's on a vague pseudoscientific hypothesis, with limited supporting evidence, thin-but-strident support, a high dependency upon verbal metaphor, superficial peer critique and overt confirmation bias, all within an overall context of flat denial and general equanimity.

(I'm a bit busy up until early next week, but I should be able to fit you in after Tuesday (if it's been advertised elsewhere, and/or someone else takes it before me, that's fine, I totally understand.... !-)):gnome:

Last edited:
Weird..over here in the Alanis Morrisette factory, we're desperate for a knife, but swimming in bloody spoons....
One of my favourite expressions, which I first heard in relation to lugubrious sports commentator Alan Green, is "he's like a man with a fork in a world of soup." My elder daughter, although of an age to savour genuine, non-Morrissettian irony, will - entirely guilelessly and non-disingenuously - reach for a fork with which to eat most things, including soup and ice-cream. (She will at least deign to accept separate bowls for the latter two).

One of my favourite expressions, which I first heard in relation to lugubrious sports commentator Alan Green, is "he's like a man with a fork in a world of soup." My elder daughter, although of an age to savour genuine, non-Morrissettian irony, will - entirely guilelessly and non-disingenuously - reach for a fork with which to eat most things, including soup and ice-cream. (She will at least deign to accept separate bowls for the latter two).

Not a big fan of spoons here, either. In my case, it's probably some infantile trauma related to the taste of pureed apricots. :p

Back