• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

I got both issues in the end Diabolik, August and September, and I can't find the mysterious letter in either issue anywhere! I don't know what to try next now... :fckpc:
I dug out my old issues and it IS in the September issue, no 162 under the title NO WIFE, NO FIRE.

I don't have access to a scanner right now, but it's certainly a weird one!

Hi sherbetbizarre. A scanner? it's only a letter.. Don't you have any typing gloves?
Thanks for the information anyway.

FrKadash - You at least now know where to look! Regards, Diabolik

Hi sherbetbizarre. A scanner? it's only a letter.. Don't you have any typing gloves?
Thanks for the information anyway.

FrKadash - You at least now know where to look! Regards, Diabolik

I've typed out the letter for us :D

NO WIFE, NO FIRE, FT162, September 2002:

''About two years ago, I was alone in my New York apartment with my cat Polly when the telephone rang. An unfamiliar voice told me that ‘’my wife’’ had just called to report that there was a ‘’fire in my oven’’. I told the ‘’doorman’’ that I had no wife and there was no fire in my oven. (Spookily, however, there had been a fire in my electric oven a week previously.) Shortly after he hung up, there was a knock at my door. It was two young white men in their thirties. They were in plain clothes and didn’t offer any identification. They said they were from building security, even though I knew that all building security guards wear uniform. The two men were quite different. One was very calm as he told me that ‘’my wife’’ had called in to report a fire in my oven, I explained once again that I had no wife and no fire in my oven. The other man seemed to be in a violent rage and told the calm man that he was ‘’going in’’, no matter what. His rage was very frightening.

Suddenly, Polly jumped up on a chair in plain view of the doorway. As soon as the calm one saw the cat, he grabbed the angry one by the shoulder and pulled him away. There was no question that seeing my cat had some sort of effect on the calm one. A few moments later an authentic building security guard, with uniform and badge, appeared at my door, once again saying that ‘’my wife’’ had called in to report ‘’the fire’’ in my oven. I denied both wife and fire, he shrugged his shoulders and left. The whole experience is a fortean mystery. Who were these two men, one so relaxed, the other so furious? What was it about seeing the cat that caused them to retreat so suddenly? Who was the woman pretending to be my wife?'' Ronald Rosenblatt, New York.

That's an odd one, isn't it?

If it was a prank, it was a joke nobody could possibly get but the instigators. And they have a very specific sense of humour.

Maybe it was somebody annoyed with him for some reason
Some years ago every day I drove one of my daughters to the bus when I would come back there would be the fire brigade saying someone had rung saying there was a kitchen fire.
This continued until one day my husband had a rostered day off and he told them to trace the calls.

This continued until one day my husband had a rostered day off and he told them to trace the calls.
And...? Did they find out who it was?

We didn't have any more trouble after that. We later figured out it was probably the woman next door who became increasingly odd.
She finally left and have a lovely couple there now.

The Headless Bear and the Woman Who Became a Hoop

June 7, 2016
Headless bears must be one of the strangest of all British bogeys. Where do they come from, what do they mean? This is a question for another day. But here is the single most detailed account of an encounter with one. The events described too place 9 May 1584 in the house of one Stephen Cooper ‘a man of good wealth and well-beloved of his neighbors’. Stephen was ill and sent his wife Margaret on a job away from the house to look after a farm of his in nearby Gloucestershire. While there Margaret began to experience some form of possession, which followed her back home. Her husband attempted to cure her with the Lord’s Prayer, and from then on in things get sixteenth-century strange.

http://www.strangehistory.net/2016/06/07/headless-bear-woman-became-hoop/

One of my favourites is this weird tale from Powers of Evil by Richard Cavendish, about a couple he calls Mr and Mrs Smith:

One evening in 1940, as she was chatting to her husband, Mrs Smith said, quite out of the blue: ‘It will come over the hill when it comes’.

Afterwards she had no recollection of saying this, even though her husband insisted that she had.

Shortly afterwards she became nervous about being in the house after dark. About three months later she awoke her husband one night and told him that the thing from over the hill was nearly upon them. They heard one of the outside doors opening and a heavy, wet tread upon the stairs. As the Smiths clung together, the door swung open and a hideous thing waddled in. It was bloated and naked with skin blotched green, purple and yellow. It had a head that almost came to a point at the top, long earlobes that nearly reached to its shoulders, webbed feet and a thick bull neck. It crossed to the window and vanished.

Mrs Smith later recalled: ‘It was horrible and the absolute essence of evil… I have never experienced anything so dreadful before or since and I hope I never shall, God willing. I still experience the same horror when I talk about it or write about it as I am doing now. I have never been able to discover why I saw it and I have never been able to find out what it was.’

I think the most unsettling thing about this is its sheer pointlessness - no skeleton found under the floorboards, no ancient Indian burial ground, no satanic ritual. No resolution.

Though the description of the Thing does rather remind me of the giant from Time Bandits...

It should have worn pink pyjamas! :D

More seriously, it's entire existence, appearance, demeanour and uninvited arrival seem to be geared entirely to the business of being scary.

It is a creature-of-leisure that can devote itself so completely to fun. Are there no treadmills for such things? no availabilty-for-work interviews? Come to that, do they even have work-permits?

I see this was a historic case, however. So that explains it! :cooll:

Last edited:
One of my favourites is this weird tale from Powers of Evil by Richard Cavendish, about a couple he calls Mr and Mrs Smith:

One evening in 1940, as she was chatting to her husband, Mrs Smith said, quite out of the blue: ‘It will come over the hill when it comes’.

Afterwards she had no recollection of saying this, even though her husband insisted that she had.

Shortly afterwards she became nervous about being in the house after dark. About three months later she awoke her husband one night and told him that the thing from over the hill was nearly upon them. They heard one of the outside doors opening and a heavy, wet tread upon the stairs. As the Smiths clung together, the door swung open and a hideous thing waddled in. It was bloated and naked with skin blotched green, purple and yellow. It had a head that almost came to a point at the top, long earlobes that nearly reached to its shoulders, webbed feet and a thick bull neck. It crossed to the window and vanished.

Mrs Smith later recalled: ‘It was horrible and the absolute essence of evil… I have never experienced anything so dreadful before or since and I hope I never shall, God willing. I still experience the same horror when I talk about it or write about it as I am doing now. I have never been able to discover why I saw it and I have never been able to find out what it was.’

I think the most unsettling thing about this is its sheer pointlessness - no skeleton found under the floorboards, no ancient Indian burial ground, no satanic ritual. No resolution.

Though the description of the Thing does rather remind me of the giant from Time Bandits...
I like that. No attempt to rationalise, or a justifying narrative. Just a scary thing went by.

a cool one i found an while ago:
Some cases of supposed inter-dimensional travel are almost surreal and dreamlike in their sheer bizarreness. One man known only as Michael had just such an experience while driving from the Australian Capital Territory to New South Wales, in Australia. He was traveling along a series of roads that cut through rugged territory that alternates between thick forests and scattered remote plains, on a route that should have taken him to his destination in around 2 or 3 hours. As he drove, watching plains give way to forests which would melt back into plains again, Michael claims he began to get the distinct feeling that he had been driving far longer than 3 hours, and he stopped the car to take a rest and look around. It was a mild, clear night, and at the time nothing seemed to be particularly out of place, but things would take a turn for the weird quite quickly. door-that-leads-to-life-new-dimension It started when he looked up at the moon and noticed that it seemed far lower and brighter than it should have been. Amazed by this perplexing phenomenon, he went out to search for a field where he could get a better look at this strange, bight moon. After trudging through underbrush, he came to an open field that looked as if it had recently been plowed, and when he looked up to see the moon again he says it became evident that it was not the moon at all, but rather a blindingly bright spotlight, so bright in fact that he had to put his hands up to shield his eyes from its intensity. Then, he was suddenly immersed in darkness as the spotlight cut off, only to be bathed in light again as another spotlight switched on facing from another direction. Illuminated within the spotlight’s beam, Michael claims that he could see the form of what looked to be a scarecrow, which seemed to be moving, either from the wind or some power of its own. Unsettled, Michael hurried back to his car and started the engine. Before leaving, he took one more look back at where the spotlight had been only to find it was not there anymore and yet the whole field was awash in light as if being illuminated by it. More bizarrely, there was no sign of the trees and brush he had had to slog through to reach the field, and the field was there in the open in full view. As the startled Michael looked on, he claims that the light of the field began to shrink and contract until it became a bright beam focused on what appeared to be a man standing in the center of the field. In the man’s hand was a gun, and every time Michael moved, the stranger moved the gun up little by little until it was pointing at his own head, as if he planned to shoot himself. In reaction to this, Michael froze, not knowing what to do next. This went on for a time, both him and the stranger frozen there, but as Michael grew tired, his hands and legs began to shake, which prompted the mysterious stranger to inexorably move the gun up until it was aimed squarely at his own head. It was then that the strange man began to cry, and even though he was far away, Michael could make out what appeared to be cuts on his body that oddly did not bleed. As he cried, the man raised his other hand and pointed to his left before pronouncing in an ear piercing wail: “THERE!” At this point the gun went off and Michael threw his hands up to block the macabre sight. When he pulled his hands away to look, he realized that he was in his car and that the car had somehow been teleported to the center of the field, and there was no sign of the stranger who had been standing there. Disoriented and confused, Michael drove off. Curious about the bizarre, dream-like incident, Michael returned to the spot a few days later in the daytime. When he arrived he found the field, but it was once again ringed by forest. He ventured out into the spot where he remembered seeing the stranger, and looked out to where he had been pointing. As he looked out into the distance he claimed that he could see a house, and through the window of the house he could make out the form of a man who for some inexplicable reason was upside down. Michael claims that he sped home at “a million miles an hour” and never took that route again. It is hard to wrap one’s head around this case. Is this an example of traveling to another dimension or just a particularly potent and bizarre hallucination? Just what in the world does any of this mean? It is a case wrapped in true oddness for sure.
source: http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/10/bizarre-tales-of-real-inter-dimensional-travelers/

Great story. I love these ‘alternative reality’ stories - all the ones in that Mysterious Universe article were haunting, thanks for posting it. The one about the woman that’s become ‘stuck’ in this alternative reality is kind of unsettling.

Great story. I love these ‘alternative reality’ stories - all the ones in that Mysterious Universe article were haunting, thanks for posting it. The one about the woman that’s become ‘stuck’ in this alternative reality is kind of unsettling.
yeah, my favorite one though is the one i posted, so many questions, sad that the witness decided to remain anonymous

another one, this time of an giant green beetle seen atached to an plane window by an doctor:

:eek::eek:
Doctor Marco Gessatti thought he was in store for a routine flight as he headed from Rome to Boston one night. As he sat in his seat he suddenly became overwhelmed by a sudden sensation of panic followed quickly by a strange nauseous feeling he had never experienced before, even more, peculiar the eight or so other passengers in the cabin also appeared to be feeling discomfort.

Gessatti believed he was suffering from a panic attack. Then, suddenly, there came a loud thud as though something had collided with the plane, as Gessatti and the other passengers turned to see what it was, they were amazed by what they saw. Clinging to one of the cabin windows was what looked like a gigantic, green beetle. The gigantic insect stared in with its huge segmented eyes, and Gessatti claimed it was so large he could see the hairs on its legs as well as some sort of adhesive pad on its foot that helped it hold onto the plane. Then, just as quickly as it appeared, a massive pair of veiny wings unfolded from the creatures hard, green shell, and it took off back into the blackness of the night sky.

Gesatti and all those on board were stunned. This sighting is one of the most incredible ever recorded, if not for the sheer number of problems it poses, for example, even if a beetle could attain such a size, how could it attach itself to a plane moving 500 mph 30,000 feet up in the atmosphere? And why did all the passengers suddenly feel ill just before the insect appeared?

While the sighting is certainly odd the fact that a doctor is the one who reported it makes it all the stranger since stories about giant bugs attacking aeroplanes would hardly do much for his professional reputation, the exact date when Gessatti saw the beetle is not known
source: https://www.top5s.co.uk/5-mysterious-giant-insect-sightings-2/

A weird dog-like apparition was encountered by the grandfather of Dermot MacManus who wrote about it in his book The Middle Kingdom. In the 1860s he was walking through an orchard one summer evening on the family estate in Ireland. He was gong to join a party that was going on in the summer house. Upon hearing a rustling sound he looked round to see a fox-like creature the size of a wolf approaching him. When it reared up on its hind legs he saw to his horror that it had no head. Despite this he knew it was looking at him and pouring out ‘hate, bestiality and evil’. He made the sign of the cross at the thing and if fell back on all fours and ran away. In 1901 at the age of 91 he made a signed statement that the event was still fresh in his memory.

Last edited:
Another Irish one. There was a letter written to the magazine Animals and Men a few years back about a weird creature that chased a car.
It took place in 1997 in the Grayfield-Greencastle district four miles from Kilkeen in County Down. Louise Donnan and her niece Clare. As they drove along a certain section of road the saw what appeared to be a big sheep up ahead. As they drew closer they saw its coat was not wool but composed of what looked like rags. Both women felt a wave of revulsion as it turned its head to look at them. It ran over to the car and they saw that its round head was level with Clair’s window. The only feature they could see through the tatty coat was one of its eyes.

We were both almost frozen with fear as the eye looking straight at us was reddish in colour, and gave a terrible, wild, penetrating stare. When I looked at its eye I could almost see its mind working powerfully behind it, a mind not of an ordinary animal but of one with another sense and evil I have never encountered before (or since). I felt sick with fear but thankfully Clair was able to compose herself enough to accelerate the car and we took off at an impressive speed. Our relief was short lived as suddenly we felt a ‘thud’ at the side of the car. To or horror this mad ‘animal’ we thought we had gotten away from was running alongside the car and deliberately banging into us.”

After chasing the car the thing abruptly stopped and the two women felt as if it had got to ‘the edge of its territory’. Neither drove anywhere near the area again.

Back in my days as a zookeeper at Twycross Zoo in the midlands, I heard a very odd story. There had been a poltergeist out break in the town of Coleville or Coleshill (after twenty odd years I can’t recall which of these midlands towns it was in). It centred on a supermarket. Pools of urine would form on the floor and items would be scattered about. Witnesses claimed to have seen the ghost of an oven ready chicken waddling around in the store!

"There's a man beetle on the wing of this plane!"
there is something almost cartoonish about this report, you turn around and instead of seeing the sky you see an huge beetle
if it was me i thought i had finnaly lost it

A weird dog-like apparition was encountered by the grandfather of Dermot MacManus who wrote about it in his book The Middle Kingdom. In the 1860s he was walking through an orchard one summer evening on the family estate in Ireland. He was gong to join a party that was going on in the summer house. Upon hearing a rustling sound he looked round to see a fox-like creature the size of a wolf approaching him. When it reared up on its hind legs he saw to his horror that it had no head. Despite this he knew it was looking at him and pouring out ‘hate, bestiality and evil’. He made the sign of the cross at the thing and if fell back on all fours and ran away. In 1901 at the age of 91 he made a signed statement that the event was still fresh in his memory.
meh this is really an normal black dog report

Back