• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

AngelAlice said:
And a really recent one about someone who was getting ready to go and meet some friends she'd known all her life when she suddenly realised they didn't exist!

I'll need that link for sure.

maxley said:
'By this time I was sitting up in bed with my eyes glued to the door and with horror in my heart. The handle turned and in the opening stood a creature with the face of a fox, which walked on its hind legs. It was dressed in some sort of way and, would you credit it, wore a top hat, which added to its appearance an indescribably macabre touch... It gazed at me with a fixed rather than a malign expression but did not speak. I shouted out, 'Go away!' - how well I remember the exact words! - and it turned around and went away. I heard its steps follow, in retreat, the precise route they had followed before, unhurried, and steady as ever, until at last they died out on the road leading to the woods'.

Surely no trouble getting back to sleep after that, right?!

omniboy, you are a Fortean after my own heart. I love the lead masks case, and not too long ago, I was on here (somewhere) asking if it had a dedicated thread. I was rather disappointed to find that it didn't :(

However, there are some cracking threads, the dummy & his bottle of milk being a real corker! ;)

A good search thru the IHTM threads will bring up some good ones.

Happy hunting!

cherrybomb said:
omniboy, you are a Fortean after my own heart. I love the lead masks case, and not too long ago, I was on here (somewhere) asking if it had a dedicated thread. I was rather disappointed to find that it didn't :(

However, there are some cracking threads, the dummy & his bottle of milk being a real corker! ;)

A good search thru the IHTM threads will bring up some good ones.

Happy hunting!

Hey cherrybomb - yeah, the lead masks case just fascinates me. I wish there were interviews with the victim's friends and family, and what they thought happened. Most of the reports center on the strangeness and not on the two poor guys in the masks. What were they trying to accomplish? What did they think was going to happen? There doesn't seem to be a lot of info on them and their backgrounds/beliefs.

Also, I thought the dummy story was actually kind of funny. Can't a guy get a damn glass of milk without a ventriloquist dummy burning his house down? :x

Thanks for posting these links to older threads, love them! The green glow & the dead rabbit = :shock: Really creepy and compelling!

I often wonder, have other "lead masks" type cases been discovered & covered up :? *Puts tinfoil hat back on so THEY don't find me* Just what were those pills that the men took? Hmmm....

Omniboy, please read my old posts. These include visitations from a giant rabbit monster and a lion man.

I think you can get to them by clicking on my user name and following from there.

oweny29 said:
Omniboy, please read my old posts. These include visitations from a giant rabbit monster and a lion man.

I think you can get to them by clicking on my user name and following from there.
Yes. It's also a very good idea to take a browse through the, It Happened To Me, forum. Lots of meaty goodness to be found there. The thread about about people in 'human suits', is one of my favourites.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21110&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

oweny29 said:

Interesting - the rabbit monster seems like classic sleep paralysis, but the lion-man is very weird. Still, it seems likely to just be a (possibly inaccurate) memory of a vivid dream.

What I like is the fact that it wasn't a fantastic creature (a 'real' lion-man) but a guy in a costume.

Makes you think, though - people do a lot of incredibly odd stuff for incredibly strange reasons. Maybe some drunk was actually running around in a lion costume for some reason, hopped through an open window for a laugh, then hopped back out again. :hmm:

omniboy said:
Maybe some drunk was actually running around in a lion costume for some reason, hopped through an open window for a laugh, then hopped back out again. :hmm:
DONDYLION

Noel Fielding should have a thread dedicated to his hypersurreal perspectives.

skinny said:
omniboy said:
Maybe some drunk was actually running around in a lion costume for some reason, hopped through an open window for a laugh, then hopped back out again. :hmm:
DONDYLION

That video appears to have been blocked by Channel 4 in this country.

Edit: This may be a better link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8dmwB31bSk
Note: Not even slightly funny, just weird.

skinny said:
omniboy said:
DONDYLION

Fielding is a Fortean phenomena... :shock:

Awww, thanks Omni!

The IHTM board is by far my favorite on this site. Dig through, and you are sure to find some of the creepiest, most fascinating stuff you've ever read.

Has anyone mentioned the Swedish Twins? Not an IHTM, but truly, entirely weeeird!

AngelAlice said:
Has anyone mentioned the Swedish Twins? Not an IHTM, but truly, entirely weeeird!

What is the story with the Swedish Twins? Is there a link?

omniboy said:
AngelAlice said:

See here.

Apparently they've got teflon bones and stuff - for some reason they're not allowed to just be extremely nuts and similarly lucky.

(You've just reminded me that I actually wrote something about it one night after getting temporarily obsessed with the subject while suffering from one of my regular bouts of insomnia - I suppose I could get round to actually posting it up some time.)

Not teflon...graphene.

Or the same stuff Saga Noren is made out of. Shot twice, and walks from hospital within hours! (Sorry if thats a spoiler. Very sorry if you have no idea who she is.)

special_farces said:
Or the same stuff Saga Noren is made out of. Shot twice, and walks from hospital within hours! (Sorry if thats a spoiler. Very sorry if you have no idea who she is.)

Yeah, I thought that. Still, convoluted and unrealistic though it may have at times (well, quite often) been, I still thoroughly enjoyed it.

Spookdaddy said:
omniboy said:
AngelAlice said:

See here.

Apparently they've got teflon bones and stuff - for some reason they're not allowed to just be extremely nuts and similarly lucky.

(You've just reminded me that I actually wrote something about it one night after getting temporarily obsessed with the subject while suffering from one of my regular bouts of insomnia - I suppose I could get round to actually posting it up some time.)

Aww, c'mon, there's lucky and then there's...well, surviving being run over by an HGV with nothing but broken legs, surviving being knocked down by two cars at high speed and getting up without a scratch, surviving beating yourself on the head with a mallet and then jumping off a forty foot bridge with no more than a cracked skull and broken ankles.! No brain trauma? No soft tissue or internal organ ruptures? No broken ribs? Anyone who's done time in an ER will tell you that kind of thing just doesn't happen.

Add their general weirdness to this and it's legitimate to find it spooky

Strangeness! We need more strangeness! We are reduced to discussing mainstream news which varies from the depressing to the idiotic.

We need more dog headed men or huge orange balls or disappearing petrol stations or whatever.

I agree. More weirdness please!

All this normal everyday stuff is doing my head in. :(

I'm afraid the truth is that extreme weirdness stories which once could fascinate us for years or decades until more accurate information threw them into doubt are pretty much instantly traced to their source and deemed dubious now.

Historic cases, often reprinted without much in the way of sources, in old anthologies of piffle, turn out to have originated with Madame Blavatsky or an unsigned article in a Victorian periodical.

The nouveau-credulous are satifisfied with orbs and evp tapes that would make a cat laugh, while ghosts have been trodden into the dust by screamers on television fake-shows.

We need more extreme weirdness to preserve our insanity, I agree. But I'm sure we don't want to be put in a flap about every purported spook on Youtube. There are sites online where FT is condemned as a grist mill of scepticism; fringe stuff can certainly generate more traffic but so much of it is dismaying.

Just every now and then I get to hear a narrative that has the ring of authenticity about it and I am reassured that strange things can still stimulate my imagination.

edit: Minor changes to wording and punctuation.

edit2: rogue b in "certainly" zapped.

There are sites online where FT is condemned as a grist mill of scepticism; fringe stuff can certainbly generate more traffic but so much of it is dismaying.
Yes, after decades of looking for weirdness I've been disappointed time after time.

Perhaps if I loudly shout "It's all bollix!" something will happen to make me think again!

True. I really don't want to hear about any more orbs, for example. Or poltergeists, even.

However, if one trawls back through the topics on here there are some that, while they may of course be hallucination or have other mundane explanations, are truly unexpected. And certainly are not rehashing of old folk tales.

Having personally experienced some genuine - if relatively minor - strangeness I'm perhaps more likely to believe that the tales related are true - that of course is not the same as an accurate scientific explanation of the occurrence. But what I mean is that the subjects are not making it up - they are honestly relating what they perceived at the time.

I always loved the one where two lads see a "Cut out man" type of being who "Lollops" towards them as they walk home - really creepy!

Back