• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

The Dog That Turned Into Green Mist, Cows Standing On Hind Legs & Other Cases Of Gibbering Insanity

Omniboy although Obi Wan's Paranormal pages are long gone, someone here posted a link to a collection of the better ones online. For the life of me I can't remember who but it was pretty soon after Obi Wan's pages disappeared. Perhaps that person could provide it again.

There were a few corkers on there.

The grand-mother and grand-daughter who saw two dancing cows come down a misty track, standing up right, arm in arm. Always thought that one bizarre though I assumed it was a hallucination from the bread they'd ingested.

The kid who was addressed and talked to by a muppet in the middle of a broadcasted show.

There was another about an investigator who spent a night in an abandoned trailer home watching and being watched by a pair or red eyes with black slit iris's that hovered in mid-air, centre of the room. The investigator claims he could move behind the eyes as they hovered there and they followed him with their gaze.

And I've always liked the live shark that was found on the streets of Glasgow at two in the morning. More than likely dumped by an owner who couldn't afford the tank though but still makes me smile when I think of it.

A few of my favourite weird ones, I'm sure as the day wears on others will come to mind.

Moooksta said:
Omniboy although Obi Wan's Paranormal pages are long gone, someone here posted a link to a collection of the better ones online. For the life of me I can't remember who but it was pretty soon after Obi Wan's pages disappeared. Perhaps that person could provide it again.
This? http://www.ufofreeparanormal.com/stories/index.php

I didn't make the collection or post it originally, but I had bookmarked it.

kamalktk said:
Moooksta said:
This? http://www.ufofreeparanormal.com/stories/index.php

I didn't make the collection or post it originally, but I had bookmarked it.

Oooh maybe they weren't taken down, well book-marked kamalktk.

Here we go, don't get weirder than this.
The strange lights were almost to the house by that point. (**Thinking back now, I realize just how bright they must have been to have been visable at the first.** ) Then the lights finally took on a more tangable shape. (**This is the part that REALLY makes me doubt what we THOUGHT we saw**) What we saw looked to be two cows, both bulls, dancing along the road on their hind legs. (**No, this is NOT a joke.**) One was glowing yellow, the other was glowing pink. Each of the "bulls" had a front leg, "arm" draped over the shoulder of the other. They were heading toward the driveway.

Hang on....it does...
The eyes appeared about 6-1/2 feet above the ground and were about 3 inches across with irises about 1 inch in diameter with cat-like pupils that reacted to light in the "correct" manner. As we moved, the eyes moved to follow us. If one of us kept the eye's attention and the other moved behind them, they were not visible to the person behind but only in about a 180 degree arc centered on the point on which they seemed to be focused, as if they were in a person's head but only the eyes were visible.

tony_carson said:
Moooksta said:
Omniboy although Obi Wan's Paranormal pages are long gone

?? eh, the site's still up, i've just been looking through the archives..

http://www.ghosts.org/

There was a thread, here, once, about its disappearance but I could have been wrong.

My mistake doesn't count as weird IMO.

Okay, the Dancing Bull story was extremely weird. Not sure how to react to that one--it's one of those things where you either trust the author or don't. Hard to say how truthful/accurate the guy is, but a very, very weird story nonetheless. I'm still trying to wrap my head around what glowing, dancing bulls could possibly mean.
:wtf:

The Red Eyes story seemed less weird to me because it kind of fits into a supernatural framework--what else could it be but some kind of spirit? Granted, it's an extremely unusual twist but if you accept hauntings and the like, floating spectral eyes don't seem like a stretch.

I'll have to browse through the Obiwan pages and see what else turns up. Thanks for the link!

omniboy said:
I remember another FT story about an English fellow who, as a child, heard a strange sound coming from the street outside his bedroom window. The sound was similar to one of those giant rubber balls with a handle that you hop around on (but this was before those toys had been invented).

The problem was, nothing was there! As he and his brother watched, they heard the bouncing sound continue down the street until it faded away. :confused:

I was going to mention this one too! I've been gone for 6 years but still recall some of them, not sure how clear my memory is.

Another of my favorites was two guys walking down a dirt road in the middle of nowhere when the tall grass came alive and attacked one of them. *EDIT* found the link = http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=26725 *EDIT*

There were a few threads about miniature people, or tiny people figures that moved around on their own. Was one of them a match-stick man?

Some guy, as a child, discovered a whole in the wall of a relatives house that he could stick his arm down, but it wasn't actually there when he looked at the wall. Other weird happenings with it too. It was kind of like a portal or something.

The trans-dimensional gas station one was recently bumped. A classic.

I liked the snow-snakes thread in the crypto section too.

So to the original poster, just dig deep and there are loads of them.

I rather liked the ventriloquist's dummy and his bottle of milk thread.

Moooksta said:
And I've always liked the live shark that was found on the streets of Glasgow at two in the morning. More than likely dumped by an owner who couldn't afford the tank though but still makes me smile when I think of it.

Wasn't that a dead porpoise found stuffed in the cubicle of Glasgow Central railway station's gents one day back in the 70s?

gncxx said:
Moooksta said:

Wasn't that a dead porpoise found stuffed in the cubicle of Glasgow Central railway station's gents one day back in the 70s?

Bet it was deep fried in batter.

ramonmercado said:
gncxx said:

Bet it was deep fried in batter.

Goany no gie us the dry boak?

gncxx said:
Moooksta said:

I was referencing Ron Halliday's "Haunted Glasgow". I'll dig oot the book and find the story.

There does seem to be a shortage of recent utterly bonkers stories, sadly. I love the 'you couldn't make that up' ones, both the less dramatic ones like the cut-out cat and the invisible bouncing ball and the utterly scary ones like the vetriloquist's dummy. Which dummies, I have to say, I find at least as worrying as clowns.

UFO's , orbs - meh. Unless they have added wierdness like the lead masks business or the Valentich disappearance.

The Valentich thing is truly strange - a cut above all the predictable "I saw Venus and Got Reaaally Scared" stories you see on those UFO documentaries that are all over the place.

We've had a few mad threads recently - the one about the puppy someone saw lifted in the air by an invisible force and dropped gently on the couch. It was witnessed by two people as well, and the puppy looked all surprised as it landed.

And a really recent one about someone who was getting ready to go and meet some friends she'd known all her life when she suddenly realised they didn't exist!

Here's a barking tale from Affleck Gray's excellent book, The Big Grey Man of Ben MacDhui. It's funny when read in daylight, but quite a different proposition in the middle of a stormy night.

(Note: I've nicked most of the following off the net as I don't have the book to hand).

The story recounts how one winter, when he was a child and living in Scotland, a man called Richard Curle woke from sleep at 'about two in the morning' in a 'rather isolated' room in the house he had lived in since he had been born. Wide awake, he lies there in his bed, watching a swaying tree branch outside of his window. He suddenly becomes aware of slow footsteps approaching the back of the house 'ominous in their leisurely tread'. He hears the sound of these slow footsteps in the courtyard below - despite the fact that it was locked every night - then, with growing horror, actually inside the house itself. He hears these footsteps 'on the flagstones of the lower passage' and 'with a kind of fatal foreknowledge... on the back staircase'. As he knew the house so well he could trace the journey of the intruder; 'they reached the top of the stairs, turned sharp left, then sharp left again, descended a few steps, approached the door of the room leading to his room, and finally stopped at his own door'. Affleck Gray now quotes directly from Curle himself;

'By this time I was sitting up in bed with my eyes glued to the door and with horror in my heart. The handle turned and in the opening stood a creature with the face of a fox, which walked on its hind legs. It was dressed in some sort of way and, would you credit it, wore a top hat, which added to its appearance an indescribably macabre touch... It gazed at me with a fixed rather than a malign expression but did not speak. I shouted out, 'Go away!' - how well I remember the exact words! - and it turned around and went away. I heard its steps follow, in retreat, the precise route they had followed before, unhurried, and steady as ever, until at last they died out on the road leading to the woods'.

Cochise said:
There does seem to be a shortage of recent utterly bonkers stories, sadly. I love the 'you couldn't make that up' ones, both the less dramatic ones like the cut-out cat and the invisible bouncing ball and the utterly scary ones like the vetriloquist's dummy. Which dummies, I have to say, I find at least as worrying as clowns.

UFO's , orbs - meh. Unless they have added wierdness like the lead masks business or the Valentich disappearance.

To me, the mystery of the lead masks case is what exactly the two guys thought they were doing, and who was manipulating them (if anyone). Forgetmori has an interesting take on the affair.

The Valentich business is just plain f'd-up. :shock:

Cochise, what is the ventriloquist dummy story you refer to? I'll probably regret asking because they creep me out like nothing else...

Moooksta said:
gncxx said:

I was referencing Ron Halliday's "Haunted Glasgow". I'll dig oot the book and find the story.

Great, with the Clyde nearby who knows what has been wandering up it? The thought of two large aquatic animals straying into the city is too good to be true - or maybe not!

omniboy said:
oldrover said:
the Tamám Shud case

Thanks for that one.

You're welcome - those are two of my favorite Fortean mysteries (the lead masks and Tamám Shud).

There is another similar one, it was British and involved a body found under weird circumstances on top of a slag heap or something. He was apparently found with meds in his pocket that hadn't been licensed. Can't remember much more, it used to crop up all the time, I expect it will again.

You're confusing two mysterious deaths there. The chap found on top of a coal heap was Zigmund Adamski while the other case you mention was the unidentified body of a man in a suit who was found on Dartmoor (if I remember correctly) with a newly licensed drug in his briefcase. The drug had only been prescribed to a handful of women in the UK at that time. I'm geographically divorced from my bookcase at the moment but I'll double check the details of the latter when I get home. Incidentally, the book Modern Mysteries of Britain by Colin and Janet Bord is stuffed full of tales of extreme high strangeness but is sadly a bit dated now. Worth trying to get hold of a copy if you can.

You're right, I'm getting the drugs and the ointment confused. I remember now Alan Godfrey attended the incident shortly before his little encounter.

I always like this thread, aside from the flying cutlery I always found the fainting teaching assistants quite odd, real bloody shame it dried up.

http://www.forteantimes.com/forum/viewt ... sc&start=0

So nobody's chilled by my recounting of the Scottish visitation?

Huh. You'll be sorry when, in a few hours' time, a foxy bipedal creature bursts into YOUR bedroom, wearing a top hat. Oh yes indeed.

maxley said:
Huh. You'll be sorry when, in a few hours' time, a foxy bipedal creature bursts into YOUR bedroom, wearing a top hat. Oh yes indeed.

If only.

maxley said:

Hah I had a dream last night where a panther spoke to me.

Edit to fix typo

ramonmercado said:
maxley said:

Hah I had a dram last night where a panther spoke to me.

You had a dram, huh?
I thought it was mostly the Scots who did that. :D

Back