• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

How come some of the flat earthers in this twitter link are saying it's all bullshit because we didn't see any satellites floating past the car when flat earthers also claim at the same time that satellites don't exist and are only part of the 'round' earth conspiracy ? .. or is that their point ? .. and more importantly, should I have another round of toast and marmalade because I'm still a bit peckish ? ..

How come some of the flat earthers in this twitter link are saying it's all bullshit because we didn't see any satellites floating past the car when flat earthers also claim at the same time that satellites don't exist and are only part of the 'round' earth conspiracy ? .. or is that their point ? .. and more importantly, should I have another round of toast and marmalade because I'm still a bit peckish ? ..

Toast is always the answer.

They're coming to Birmingham:

Ouch. They start by quoting Marie Curie, an actual scientist, who would likely not be impressed.

Then Sean Connors manages to misquote Sherlock Holmes TWICE (written text and video clip) (the actual quote is " How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?")

...Then Sean Connors manages to misquote Sherlock Holmes TWICE (written text and video clip) (the actual quote is " How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?")

Which - much as I love Conan Doyle's creation - is complete bobbins anyway; it's very probably not possible to skin a cat with an egg, or a cloud, or Bournemouth, or etc, but that doesn't mean that you aren't still going to be left with more than one way to skin a cat.

I was recently told by a friend in Scotland that his tattooist is a flat-earther. I know connecting the two is probably a bit of a lapse of logic on my part, but I'm really not sure I would feel safe letting someone who denies fairly basic science put an ink fed needle in my flesh.

The funny thing from my perspective is that I've been aware of Sean Connors for years as I've been one of the few thousand subscribers to his channel about roleplaying. He was always very earnest and came across as genuinely bright, but I suspect he's probably gone a bit mental in the couple of years since he stopped regularly uploading.

My first reaction was that he must be pranking them, but I can't really find anything more online about his conversion.

Mad Mike finally did it! And survived! (somehow)

No news if he saw the curvature of the Earth (he only got to 1,875 feet / 571.5m).

mad_rocket_scientist_83231-jpg-65f8f_621dac72b418cea41d77d6d4f4239340.focal-1000x500.jpg

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-new...ientist-finally-blasts-california-sky-n859801

Would have been cheaper and safer, and the world would look as flat from there as it did from his rocket. :)

I think it would take 80,000 ft before the curvature is obvious. It's cool he did not die over his rocket experiment, but perhaps he should let SpaceX or NASA handle these matters. Self-taught rocketry is a bad course to "learn from your mistakes". :)

I think it would take 80,000 ft before the curvature is obvious. It's cool he did not die over his rocket experiment, but perhaps he should let SpaceX or NASA handle these matters. Self-taught rocketry is a bad course to "learn from your mistakes". :)

If he is really serious about the whole thing, and it is not just a publicity stunt as suggested by Tribble (and I think Tribble is probably spot on), then he should consider a balloon rather than a rocket. It's probably cheaper and safer than a rocket. He can even come back down via parachute, for extra publicity.

If he is really serious about the whole thing, and it is not just a publicity stunt as suggested by Tribble (and I think Tribble is probably spot on), then he should consider a balloon rather than a rocket. It's probably cheaper and safer than a rocket. He can even come back down via parachute, for extra publicity.
According to the article, his next attempt is going to be a rocket carried aloft by a balloon with a target height of some 100km above the earth.

But there wasn't any footage of him climbing into the craft, leading some to question whether he even took off

Really? How surprising.

There is, however, footage of him being handled (post-'ascent') by a combination people dressed as paramedics and bystanders that is nonsensical...
2018-03-26 05.06.07.png

Pulled arms-first from the rocket...very poor procedures. Non-standard EMS approach for extraction anywhere in the developed world. If protective headgear was worn, it's been removed, which is also extremely bad practice immediately following a spinal compression incident.
2018-03-26 05.04.32.png

No cervical collar. No use at all of a spinal handling board. Worst-possible casualty handling technique from prone (watch the video segments to see a paramedic fail to support his head, as he's dragged upright like a sack of potatoes by his arms). Absence of a scoop stretcher when moved into an ambulance via a trolley-bed.
2018-03-26 13.39.42.png

2018-03-26 13.37.37.png

He has a documentary crew following him around to record his ambition, with a planned release in August.
Well, let's hope they manage to bodge-edit a more-convincing (or, more-impressive) sequence of footage for the rocket trajectory. This looked like a shallow ballistic twist of a few hundred feet, nothing like over a thousand.

But if you find all this to be entirely-convincing, and not even slightly unrealistic, well, good on you. Congratulations on being a passive consumer of content. You have yet-again passed the test.

EDIT
What I didn't see (in these hopeless little clips) was footage that showed the incident being filmed. Hopefully they will remember to include that, in the final version. It helps add so much ersatz realism to even the shakiest of staged productions. But I suppose this is already a metalogical pantomime, so the normal rules of edutainment don't apply...

Last edited:
According to the article, his next attempt is going to be a rocket carried aloft by a balloon with a target height of some 100km above the earth.

I have a feeling Darwin is going to have the final say in this flat earth debate...

Respect to the man. His thesis is daft, but he was prepared to put his taters on the chopping block to test it.

He used his own resources, didn’t expose anyone else to risk or inconvenience and demonstrated the courage of his own convictions. A few people like him in positions of authority would make the world a better (or at least more fun and interesting!) place.

maximus otter

Respect to the man. His thesis is daft, but he was prepared to put his taters on the chopping block to test it.

Would have been cheaper to just go out on the ocean on a boat, but I assume he has some reason why that test isn't valid (and why every single other test short of seeing it with your own eyes is invalid). Tells me he has no clue of how science works.

He used his own resources, didn’t expose anyone else to risk or inconvenience and demonstrated the courage of his own convictions. A few people like him in positions of authority would make the world a better (or at least more fun and interesting!) place.

maximus otter

Yup. At the moment, people in authority use my and your resources, and let us carry the risk too.

Really? How surprising.

There is, however, footage of him being handled (post-'ascent') by a combination people dressed as paramedics and bystanders that is nonsensical...

Well, let's hope they manage to bodge-edit a more-convincing (or, more-impressive) sequence of footage for the rocket trajectory. This looked like a shallow ballistic twist of a few hundred feet, nothing like over a thousand.

But if you find all this to be entirely-convincing, and not even slightly unrealistic, well, good on you. Congratulations on being a passive consumer of content. You have yet-again passed the test.

I have yet to see the clips Ermintruder, but your EMT expertise puts the finisher in his video narrative.

He broke any suspension of disbelief long ago. The question was whether he was a lovable eccentric or an outright grifter.

pretty blatant fakery
Ah, but @MetroGnome, this degree-of-blatantness is an important factor: and is the aspect I find most puzzling.

Whilst I often jibe and despair at many fellow humans in respect of their sheer gullibility in response to obviously-fabricated content (cf artificial documentary-style footage on television, such as Ice Road Truckers/Pimp My Ride and Ancient Alien series etc often being consumed as literal realities), I puzzle over the threshold-of-credibility levels within a wide variety of purportedly real-world news realities.

Let me fail to attempt to explain.

Ever since 'Blair Witch' (but long before that point) a significant proportion of audiences have always been attuned to fictions-presented-as-real....let's call this the 'overt credibility contract' between consumers and producers. Whilst some people will accept even declared fairytails and fictions as facts, a presumed majority of modern-day consumers are sufficiently savvy/trained to recognise artificial realities as being false.

But this is where perceptual baselines are then being constantly played with. I am at a loss as to why anyone (or any...group) would create artificial depictions of realities, with a presumed intent to deceive, but then make obvious mistakes in that creative process.

I've often said (and I will regret this, one day)...I baulk at, and reject, artificiality-depicted-as-being-real much less than I cannot tolerate perceptable flaws in that same synthesis. Put it another way...if I'm ever being lied to, I want the lies to be perfect. I do not want to see a little man behind the curtain, operating the levers, and hollering down a tube. I will always seek him out, the puppetmaster....

My attitude could also be: he who fails to analyse, and does not question everything, is no different from being a mere baby...fed, warm and utterly-powerless, in the face of a pitiless universe.

Last edited:
Really? How surprising.

EDIT
What I didn't see (in these hopeless little clips) was footage that showed the incident being filmed. Hopefully they will remember to include that, in the final version. It helps add so much ersatz realism to even the shakiest of staged productions. But I suppose this is already a metalogical pantomime, so the normal rules of edutainment don't apply...

What if the photos are in reverse order and he's being helped into an already-landed rocket to replace a deflated dummy? *conspiracy*

I am at a loss as to why anyone (or any...group) would create artificial depictions of realities, with a presumed intent to deceive, but then make obvious mistakes in that creative process.

Sorry if I sound smug, but the most obvious reason that occurs to me is that they are stupid.

I suspect that many (most?) flat-earthers don't really believe that the earth is shaped like a frisbee. It's just their chance to pose as fearless, brilliant, original thinkers who haven't been brain-washed like the rest of the sheep. Instead of blindly swallowing the "lie" that the earth is a sphere, they have blindly swallowed the "lie" that the earth is flat without questioning implications and apparent contradictions. All they can do when confronted is stick their fingers in their ears and holler "LA-LA-LA" until the challenger loses interest and goes away. Then they can brag to their friends how they totally shut down another doubter.

Back