Tales Of A Flat Earth

rynner2

Great Old One
Yesterday and today I saw something I've never seen before. It's not Fortean in itself, but is just a sidelight on beliefs like a Flat Earth. What did I see? The tennis in Ecuador, around noon, at the equinox. And yes, as science tells us, the sun was overhead, so people's shadows were small and directly below them.

There was a flat earth society once, although one of its leaders died in the last year or two. If the society survives, its members must find it hard to reconcile pictures from space, and live TV news reports from world-wide correspondents, which clearly show how it can be one time of day here and another in Australia.

Are there any hard-liners still hanging on?

Aben_Zin

Junior Acolyte
Ok so we know the Earth isn't flat. Unless all the people who have sailed around the world etc. are lying.
But is the Universe flat?

Of course we might not know until we've sailed around it...

AZ

FelixAntonius

Justified & Ancient
About twelve years ago, I flew on Concord, (at maximum altitude you can just about see the curvature of the earth).

When I mentioned this to a dedicated flat earther & showed him my wife's photos, all he said was: "You photographed the edge of the world".

He also considered the likes of Francis Chichester & Robin Knox-
Johnson, to have sailed round the PERIMETER of the world!!!!!

Shades of Mr T. Pratchett, I think!!!!!!!!!

A

Anonymous

There is one group of "flat earthers" for whom it is more an intellectual challenge than a true belief. The challenge is to come up with counter-arguments for each of the proofs that the earth is round.:)

Mind you, I don't think that this approach applies to the hollow earth views of David Icke. :rolleyes:

A

Anonymous

David Icke is an idiot...

Everyone know the Universe is a squigly, cylinder, wormish thing with lots of little lights in it...

Anyway, I beleive that all the galaxies in the universe are simply particle on a huge scale in another, massive world outside the universe...!:confused:

carps13

Junior Acolyte
You don't need to fly on concorde at maximum altitude (around 35,000ft I believe) to see the curvature of the earth. Stand on some coastal cliffs - not even particularly high ones - and visually align the horizon along something straight, such as a fence or bench...

You'll see the fall-off of the horizon at either end, minimal but definitely there.

rynner2

Great Old One
It's also easy to experience the Earth's curvature by watching ships sail over the horizon through a pair of binoculars. A clear day near a busy port would be ideal. There's no need to be up high - standing at he water's edge the horizon is only about 3 miles away, so it doesn't take long for the ship to reach the horizon and begin disappearing below it.

Sailing across the Western end of the English Channel one time, we saw the coast of Devon sinking into the sea astern. The weather was incredibly clear, and when night fell we were about halfway across. We could see the loom of the Lizard light to the north, and the loom of Ile Vierge in Brittany to the south, although neither light itself was visible, both being well below the horizon and about 50 miles away. That certainly gave me a feeling for a round Earth!

A

Anonymous

Carps said:
You don't need to fly on concorde at maximum altitude (around 35,000ft I believe) to see the curvature of the earth.

Sorry for being predantic, but Concorde achieves a cruise height of around 60.000'. I flew on it in 1989 to 54,000'. Not only can you see the curvature of the world, but beyond the edge of the disc, protruding just above, the tips of the elephants' tusks and trunks...

:D :blah: :p

bagins_X

Devoted Cultist
Hermes said:
Sorry for being predantic, but Concorde achieves a cruise height of around 60.000'. I flew on it in 1989 to 54,000'. Not only can you see the curvature of the world, but beyond the edge of the disc, protruding just above, the tips of the elephants' tusks and trunks...

:D :blah: :p
So You say the world is flat......... and round:D

Wm.

A

Anonymous

Bagins said:
So You say the world is flat......... and round:D

Wm.
Ah, you see the earth only "looks" curved, because light doesn't travel in straight lines. It travels in curves due to the combination of gravity, and the principle of "sheer bloody-mindedness".:blah:

A

Anonymous

What's more, the world could be shaped more like a curved roof tile than either a globe or a flat disc. The curvature we've established in the posts above, but we now have to consider that other ancient clue to its true shape - 'the Four Corners of the Earth'. Anyone for the Curved Square Earth Society?

;)

A

Anonymous

The world is flat and god has the automatically scroll humanity checkbox ticked. Saves the hastle of recovering floaters.

A

Anonymous

Dont be stupid...!! Of course the earth is flat; have you ever tried standing on a foot ball....! How on earth ( no pun ) could you stand on something spherical...you may say that we are smaller, well I tried a mouse on a football ( which you have to agree is correct proportianally to a human/Earth ) and it also had trouble !

QED

ColtFarmer

Fresh Blood
Re: David Icke is an idiot...

-Oracle- said:
Everyone know the Universe is a squigly, cylinder, wormish thing with lots of little lights in it...

Anyway, I beleive that all the galaxies in the universe are simply particle on a huge scale in another, massive world outside the universe...!:confused:
I read a Wierd Science comic with exactly that theory in it...

rynner2

Great Old One
I'm currently re-reading Joshua Slocum's "Sailing Alone Around the World". In 1897 he arrived at Natal, South Africa:
It seems odd to hear scholars and statesmen say the world is flat; but it is a fact that three Boers favoured by the opinion of President Kruger prepared a work to support that contention. While I was at Durban they came from Pretoria to obtain data from me, and they seemed annoyed when I told them they could not prove it by my experience. With the advice to call up some ghost of the dark ages for research, I went ashore, and left these three wise men poring over the Spray's track on a chart of the world, which, however, proved nothing to them, for it was on Mercator's projection, and behold, it was "flat".

A pamplet by these Transvaal geographers, made up of arguments from sources high and low to prove their theory, was mailed to me before I sailed from Africa on my last stretch around the globe.
But before leaving Slocum met the President himself:
At [Pretoria] I met Mr. Kruger, the Transvaal president. His excellency received me cordially enough; but my friend Judge Beyers, the gentleman who presented me, by mentioning that I was on a voyage around the round, unwittingly gave offence to the venerable statesman, which we both regretted deeply. Mr. Kruger corrected the judge rather sharply, reminding him that the world is flat. "You don't mean round the world," said the president; "it is impossible! You mean in the world. Impossible!" he said, "impossible!" and not another word did he utter either to the judge or to me. The judge looked at me and I looked at the judge, who should have known his ground, so to speak, and Mr. Kruger glowered at us both. My friend the judge seemed embarrassed, but I was delighted; the incident pleased me more than anything else that could have happened. It was a nugget of information quarried out of Oom Paul, some of whose sayings are famous.
(I highly recommend this book - it is a treasure trove of little oddities, and the humour is reminiscent of that of Mark Twain.)

A

Anonymous

Well here people are, taking the mick out of flat-earthers, and then having the audacity to suggest that the earth is round. :confused:
Planet Earth is of course not round but spherical - an oblate spheroid actually. But some credit to the flatlanders, because large parts of the earth are flat. Australia in particular is a very flat continent - the highest mountain there is only 7,000 feet tall. The earth itself is relatively smoother than a billiard ball, I read somewhere.
It's interesting to try to grasp the model that flat-earthers have in their minds. Do they believe that the earth is disc-shaped? Is Australia on the other side of the disc? I don't remember going round such a sharp corner when I flew there. Wouldn't all the seawater just flow off the edge?
By the way Rynner, didn't you mean "equator" rather than "equinox"?

Bill Robinson

brianellwood

Abominable Snowman
When I was at film school we had to put forward suggestions for making documentaries and I chose the flat earthers. Sadly it was never taken up, but I made contact with the president of the society who at the time lived in Burnage in Manchester. Fascinating, but alas now the chance to make it has gone.... :sob:

rynner2

Great Old One
Re: The Flat Earth Society Resources

AndroMan said:
There's a web page on the Flat Earth Society at talkorigins.org/faqs/flatearth.html

Our Society of Zetetics have existed for at least 6,000 years, the extent of recorded history. Extensive writing from 1492 b.c. We have been and are the Few, the Elite, the Elect, who use Logic Reason are Rational. Summed up, we are Sane and/ or have Common Sense as contrasted to the "herd" who is unthinking and uncaring.
Have we finally uncovered the Illuminati?! :eek!!!!:

A

Anonymous

Re: Re: The Flat Earth Society Resources

rynner said:
Have we finally uncovered the Illuminati?! :eek!!!!:
If so, then the illumination's provided by a 15 watt bulb! :p

liveinabin

Justified & Ancient
I heard on the radio the other day a chap who was not only flat earther but he also believed that the earth was the centre of the 'solar system' and that the sun and the planets revolved around it.
His justification for this was that in the bible, God created the earth before the sun , so what was the earth orbiting during the couple of days that it took God to make the sun. He said that there was more evidence in the bible for a geocentric system than the scientists had for a solar system.

And still it moves.

Talking of which I was wondering today. If the earth was to stop spining would we all get the opposite of motion sickness?

A

Anonymous

rynner said:
No, I meant the equinox (note date of post).

The sun is overhead, at the equator, on the equinoxes, at noon.
Sorry Rynner, I didn't realise it was such an old thread.

However, I still don't get it.

Please forgive my ignorance on this, but isn't the sun directly overhead on the equator every day, at noon? That's why they have a 12-hour day and a 12-hour night throughout the year (must get very boring). Because the sun's apparent course is the same every day on the equator, I have heard it described as "the sun wearing a groove in the sky".

My dictionary defines equinox as "the moment at which the sun crosses the equator and renders day and night equal throughout the world....". I understand that, because there has to be a crossing-over point. I went to Iceland, and in high summer, it just doesn't get dark. Very beautiful it is too. But in winter, the opposite is true. So the equinox is the point at which everyone in the world has a 12-hour day and a 12-hour night, for one day.

What I don't get is why you would need it to be the equinox for the sun to be directly overhead on the equator at noon. If it wasn't overhead, surely they wouldn't have a 12-hour day. I'm probably being really thick. :)

Big Bill Robinson

A

Anonymous

Big Bill Robins said:
Please forgive my ignorance on this, but isn't the sun directly overhead on the equator every day, at noon? That's why they have a 12-hour day and a 12-hour night throughout the year (must get very boring). Because the sun's apparent course is the same every day on the equator, I have heard it described as "the sun wearing a groove in the sky".
Bill, it is only an approximate 12 hours of daylight. When you get away from the equinoxes people on the equator will see the noon-time sun either to their north or south, but not directly overhead. This is all to do with the inclination of the earth's rotational axis, and is also why geographers defined the two lines of the tropics (i.e. they bound the region where the sun can appear directly overhead.) :)

rynner2

Great Old One
At the equator, the sun is overhead at noon just twice a year - at the eqinoxes. For six months the noon sun is north of overhead (by up to 23.5 degrees), and for the other 6 months it's south.

In the same way the sun only sets in the west at the equinoxes - in Britain it sets between SW (midwinter) and NW (midsummer) - much less range in the tropics.

Play with a globe, or perhaps find a good website on the Seasons, with diagrams! :)