• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Hollywood Whackers

Mythopoeika

I am a meat popsicle
Inside a starship, watching puny humans from afar
I didn't know which thread to put this in, so mods - please feel free to merge it in with a thread that already exists.

Weird stuff going on in Hollywood:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11615164

Randy Quaid and wife request asylum in Canada

The couple spoke to reporters while handcuffed in the Government of Canada Building
Actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi are seeking asylum in Canada, claiming they are being persecuted in the US.

The couple were arrested in Vancouver on Thursday on US warrants related to vandalism charges, issued last week after they missed a court appearance.

"We feel our lives are in danger," Evi Quaid told an immigration adjudicator.

Their lawyer showed the media a handwritten statement, in which the Quaids said they were "requesting asylum from Hollywood 'star whackers'."

Last month the Quaids were charged by US police with illegal occupation of their former home in Santa Barbara, California.

When they failed to show up in court to answer those charges last Monday, a warrant was issued for their arrest.

Their handwritten note refers to unspecified "star whackers"
The Quaids have been released from custody in Canada and are expected to attend a hearing later in the next week.

Quaid, 60, is best known for his roles in The Last Picture Show, Independence Day and National Lampoon's Vacation, and for being the older brother of actor Dennis.

At Friday's immigration hearing, Evi Quaid alleged that a number of her husband's actor friends - among them Heath Ledger and David Carradine - had been killed in recent years.

"Randy has known eight close friends murdered in odd, strange manners," she said in what the Reuters news agency called a "rambling" presentation. "We feel that we're next."

Ledger, with whom Quaid appeared in Brokeback Mountain, died in January 2008 from an accidental overdose.

Kung Fu and Kill Bill star Carradine was found dead in a Bangkok hotel room last year. A pathologist concluded he had died from asphyxiation.

The Quaids are alleged to have caused more than $5,000 (£3,188) in damage to the property in Santa Barbera, which they claim belongs to them.

Wow.
:shock:

Maybe Dave Chappelle, Martin Lawrence and Lois Kidder were targeted by the same group.
Or not.

Mythopoeika said:
I didn't know which thread to put this in, so mods - please feel free to merge it in with a thread that already exists.

Weird stuff going on in Hollywood:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-11615164

Randy Quaid and wife request asylum in Canada

The couple spoke to reporters while handcuffed in the Government of Canada Building
Actor Randy Quaid and his wife Evi are seeking asylum in Canada, claiming they are being persecuted in the US.

The couple were arrested in Vancouver on Thursday on US warrants related to vandalism charges, issued last week after they missed a court appearance.

"We feel our lives are in danger," Evi Quaid told an immigration adjudicator.

Their lawyer showed the media a handwritten statement, in which the Quaids said they were "requesting asylum from Hollywood 'star whackers'."

Last month the Quaids were charged by US police with illegal occupation of their former home in Santa Barbara, California.

When they failed to show up in court to answer those charges last Monday, a warrant was issued for their arrest.

Their handwritten note refers to unspecified "star whackers"
The Quaids have been released from custody in Canada and are expected to attend a hearing later in the next week.

Quaid, 60, is best known for his roles in The Last Picture Show, Independence Day and National Lampoon's Vacation, and for being the older brother of actor Dennis.

At Friday's immigration hearing, Evi Quaid alleged that a number of her husband's actor friends - among them Heath Ledger and David Carradine - had been killed in recent years.

"Randy has known eight close friends murdered in odd, strange manners," she said in what the Reuters news agency called a "rambling" presentation. "We feel that we're next."

Ledger, with whom Quaid appeared in Brokeback Mountain, died in January 2008 from an accidental overdose.

Kung Fu and Kill Bill star Carradine was found dead in a Bangkok hotel room last year. A pathologist concluded he had died from asphyxiation.

The Quaids are alleged to have caused more than $5,000 (£3,188) in damage to the property in Santa Barbera, which they claim belongs to them.

Always felt David Carradine's death was 'strange', but haven't as yet begun to put pieces together. V intrigued as to what this thread may reveal :idea:

It may reveal that Randy Quaid has completely gone off the rails: who on earth would want to assassinate him? Overacting isn't a crime, is it?

I think Randy and his wife have done too much acid...
It is entirely possible that they have made up this conspiracy to escape various lawsuits and debts they owe in the US.
Watch this space...

Folie à deux, anyone? The way I heard it was that Randy was an OK guy, but his wife is, um, difficult, so it could be that he's started to listen to her instead of anyone else. Anyone else saner, anyway.

The following is a chronological account by family, friends, law enforcement, and the Quaids themselves, of how Randy and Evi became fugitives from the law, and how they descended into a state of apparent delusion that only few can understand.
http://uproxx.com/movies/2014/10/the-st ... o-madness/

Selected highlight:
After posting another bond — this one for $40,000 — they famously appeared at their next two court hearings. At one hearing, Evi held tightly to Randy’s 1988 Golden Globe, and at the other, Randy wore a sheriff’s badge while Evi had a credit card glued to her forehead.
His Twitter account looks well worth a follow too :shock:

It says he is gonna star in ID2, he was killed in the first one, flew his plane into the ship.
And could he have some form of dementia,maybe.

I don't understand what his beef is about. He got paid for those films. What happened to that money?
Did he snort it all?

His "beef" is that he has gone insane and now believes himself to be the victim of persecution. And his wife agrees. It's really sad, he used to be such a good actor.

He was. I can't understand it.

Well, his brother's fine as far as we know.

Hmmm. He is looking more and more like a homeless person.
Odd, considering his prior success in films.

Maybe a creative mind is more prone to madness? Must say, I don't know what he was like before, he could have been always like this and somehow it was set off big time in the past few years?

Maybe a creative mind is more prone to madness? Must say, I don't know what he was like before, he could have been always like this and somehow it was set off big time in the past few years?

http://www.bbc.com/news/10154775

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17474-artistic-tendencies-linked-to-schizophrenia-gene/

There appears to be a link between creativity and madness. However I'd say that Schizophrenia tends to destroy motivation most of the time, although this maybe the sedating effects of medication rather than the negative symptoms of Schizophrenia.

For every Richard Dadd there's many people with Schizophrenia who would struggle finishing a picture in a colouring book.

Hypomanic people have a lot of drive and can be creative, the more manic a person get usually results in the person becoming more disorganized and not achieving much.

With Quaid he appears to be functioning at a reasonable if somewhat bizarre level. I'd say he goes through hypomanic episodes.

Showbiz also is a paranoid industry with way too much money and drugs involved. Even if a lot of Hollywood Babylon is untrue, bad stuff happens and I reckon Quaid would have seen a great deal during his time as a star.

Last edited:
If Quaid is psychotic, I doubt it happened earlier than recent events, but it's a very strange instance, like someone who suddenly immerses themselves in conspiracy literature and begins to see "them" everywhere, even if "they" aren't, like they've flipped a switch in their newly fragile minds. Until he gets some much-needed assistance, all we can do is speculate. Plenty of people in creative industries never crack up, so I'm wary of thinking one necessarily causes the other. Quaid certainly isn't working much now, that's for sure.

Quad played Randy Weaver and the cropduster dude from "Independence Day." What do they have in common? Their paranoia was justified (well, Weaver's was after the fact, one of those prophecies make themselves things).

No, but seriously, this is kind of tragic. It seems like he and his wife share a paranoia.

I thought there was a well known syndrome where a married couple (or two other close people) come to share a delusion?

Anyway, seems to me they need treatment, not being made to star in their own freak show.

Yes, that's the one. Interestingly there is a mention of the indestructible Scandinavian twins.

http://www.bbc.com/news/10154775

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn17474-artistic-tendencies-linked-to-schizophrenia-gene/

There appears to be a link between creativity and madness. However I'd say that Schizophrenia tends to destroy motivation most of the time, although this maybe the sedating effects of medication rather than the negative symptoms of Schizophrenia.

For every Richard Dadd there's many people with Schizophrenia who would struggle finishing a picture in a colouring book.

Hypomanic people have a lot of drive and can be creative, the more manic a person get usually results in the person becoming more disorganized and not achieving much.

With Quaid he appears to be functioning at a reasonable if somewhat bizarre level. I'd say he goes through hypomanic episodes.

Showbiz also is a paranoid industry with way too much money and drugs involved. Even if a lot of Hollywood Babylon is untrue, bad stuff happens and I reckon Quaid would have seen a great deal during his time as a star.
Nice reff to Dadd. (And what an ironic name that fellow has.)

I don't know if this belongs here but that Randy Quaid video led me to this....weird stuff...he and his wife don't seem crazy to me ...but who knows...?

It's sad, but he's had no work since 2011. His career is dead.

Back