• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19): Conspiracy Theories & Claims

Yes, I don't have the mag to hand, but I don't think that variant is mentioned.

Remember this?...

North Korea warns US to prepare for 'Christmas gift,' but no one's sure what to expect.
(CNN)North Korea will send a "Christmas gift" to the United States, but what that present contains will depend on the outcome of ongoing talks between Washington and Pyongyang, a top official has warned.
The ominous comments, which some have interpreted as a sign that North Korea couldresume long-distance missile tests, comes as the clock ticks closer to the country's self-imposed end-of-year deadline for nuclear negotiations with the Trump administration.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/12/04/asia/north-korea-christmas-gift-kim-jong-un-intl-hnk/index.html

The WHO is doing a media briefing right now. The first question was about the e-mail from Taiwan on 31st december. The WHO said it merely mentioned a few people having SARS-like symptoms and asked the WHO if they had more info.

The WHO is doing a media briefing right now. The first question was about the e-mail from Taiwan on 31st december. The WHO said it merely mentioned a few people having SARS-like symptoms and asked the WHO if they had more info.

No-one can accuse me of not being topical then.

This is an intriguing website, which may be worth carefully reading through a few times. It appears to be an extensive and fairly-reasoned list of citations that dismiss and debunk the officially-accepted severity of Covid-19, with a general theme that the cure may well be worse than the disease.

From Swiss Propaganda Research:

https://swprs.org/a-swiss-doctor-on-covid-19/

(Note that its wide range of content may well have additionally-subsumed elements that are too fringe and shouldn't really be there- but so saying, none really jumped out at me as being like that)

A first / second sweep-read through this list, whilst obviously contentious by its very nature (and allowing for the obviously agenda-driven intention of attempting to defuse and downplay the purported acute nature of the virus), it leaves the reader with the impression of it being it an apparently-lucid and comprehensive deconstruction of the entire pandemic.

Well worth looking into this (Warning- you will be there a while....especially since it is effectively a long curated list of summaries of cited references, and multiple updates)

Last edited:
Here's an updated report on the 5G equipment attacks in Europe. It states there have been circa 50 cell towers burned in the UK and 16 in the Netherlands to date.
Conspiracy theorists burn 5G towers claiming link to virus

The CCTV footage from a Dutch business park shows a man in a black cap pouring the contents of a white container at the base of a cellular radio tower. Flames burst out as the man jogs back to his Toyota to flee into the evening.

It’s a scene that’s been repeated dozens of times in recent weeks in Europe, where conspiracy theories linking new 5G mobile networks and the coronavirus pandemic are fueling arson attacks on cell towers.

Popular beliefs and conspiracy theories that wireless communications pose a threat have long been around, but the global spread of the virus at the same time that countries were rolling out fifth generation wireless technology has seen some of those false narratives amplified.

Officials in Europe and the U.S. are watching the situation closely and pushing back, concerned that attacks will undermine vital telecommunications links at a time they’re most needed to deal with the pandemic.

“I’m absolutely outraged, absolutely disgusted, that people would be taking action against the very infrastructure that we need to respond to this health emergency,” Stephen Powis, medical director of the National Health Service in England, said in early April.

Some 50 fires targeting cell towers and other equipment have been reported in Britain this month, leading to three arrests. Telecom engineers have been abused on the job 80 times, according to trade group Mobile UK, making the U.K. the nucleus of the attacks. Photos and videos documenting the attacks are often overlaid with false commentary about COVID-19. Some 16 have been torched in the Netherlands, with attacks also reported in Ireland, Cyprus, and Belgium. ...
FULL STORY: https://apnews.com/4ac3679b6f39e8bd2561c1c8eeafd855

The government has decided to keep the scientific evidence upon which it is basing its response to the Chinese coronavirus secret until the pandemic subsides.

Boris Johnson’s administration is facing increased calls for transparency on the actions being recommended by the Scientific Advisory Group on Emergencies (Sage) that is heading the response to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, records from the group’s meetings and the identity of its members will be kept secret until “Sage stops convening on this emergency”, the UK’s chief scientific adviser Sir Patrick Vallance said.

At present, only a handful of scientists, including the chief medical adviser for England Chris Whitty and Sir Patrick, have been confirmed to be on the board of approximately 80 scientists, sparking concerns that the government is receiving limited and incomplete information from advisers.

Conservative MP Greg Clark said that the identities of the scientists should be revealed “in order to have some visibility into what institutions and disciplines are represented, it would be extremely useful to have the membership known”, The Times reports.

In response to Mr Clark’s call for transparency, Sir Patrick said that the government is operating on rules for the Cabinet Office Briefing Rooms (Cobra). He wrote: “This contributes towards safeguarding members’ personal security and protects them from lobbying and other forms of unwanted influence which may hinder their ability to give impartial advice.”

https://www.breitbart.com/europe/20...ce-coronavirus-response-secret-pandemic-over/

maximus otter

only a handful of scientists,.......... have been confirmed to be on the board

And I'll bet money that that clown Prof Neil Ferguson will be on that board.
And once the info is released, probably not until next year, it'll show his predictions to be way off the mark yet again.
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone listens to him when his previous 'help' has been such a hindrance???

And I'll bet money that that clown Prof Neil Ferguson will be on that board.
And once the info is released, probably not until next year, it'll show his predictions to be way off the mark yet again.
I can't for the life of me understand why anyone listens to him when his previous 'help' has been such a hindrance???

Yep: His report predicted between 250,000 to 510,000 deaths from C19 in the UK alone, depending on the measures put in place. The actual facts:

"As of 5pm on 20 April, of those hospitalised in the UK who tested positive for coronavirus, 17,337 have died."

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-information-for-the-public

Note: "Who tested positive for C19". That means that, if you are admitted to hospital with end-stage lung cancer and a bullet in the brain, if your corpse is swabbed and found to have been C19 +ve, you are added to the C19 statistics.

maximus otter

Yes the phrase "tested positive for C19" is being used on anybody who has died and been found to have it, irrespective of whether or not it was the cause of death.
Whether that be a long term illness that finally got you or a catastrophic accident, or any other disease, or even just plain 'old age'.

And apparently in a lot of care homes, if someone has died and the doctor wasn't able to test for it, they are putting C19 as a factor in the cause of death anyway.

Yep: His report predicted between 250,000 to 510,000 deaths from C19 in the UK alone, depending on the measures put in place. The actual facts:
The actual facts- those figures are for a TWO YEAR period, not a two month period which is what we have had ( has it even been that long?). The 510,000 comes from doing nothing. The 250,000 figure comes from mitigations being taken, not full on suppression which is what we are trying at the moment. Most of the deaths that have been occurring have been from an infection that was contracted before the suppression started. When I multiply 17,000 by 12 to scale it up to two years I get 204,000. Looks pretty accurate to me.

The actual facts- those figures are for a TWO YEAR period, not a two month period which is what we have had...

We are apparently already "over the hump" for C19 deaths, and projecting the current (massaged) stats for another 22 months would lead to a wildly inaccurate total.

maximus otter

We are apparently already "over the hump" for C19 deaths, and projecting the current (massaged) stats for another 22 months would lead to a wildly inaccurate total.

maximus otter
Well it would now. But probably not that wildly inaccurate since we are going to have to come out of lockdown at some stage and infections will rise again. That paper was written before the lockdown. Do you want them to go back and switch all the figures around?

Well it would now. But probably not that wildly inaccurate since we are going to have to come out of lockdown at some stage and infections will rise again. That paper was written before the lockdown. Do you want them to go back and switch all the figures around?

They aren't figures; they appear to be guesses. Being wrong by a factor of 25 (at the moment) is not an estimate, it's pessimistic conjecture at best.

I still can't find the figures I read this morning, but Prof. Ferguson has form for massively over-egging the pudding. From memory, repeat from my memory, his estimate of deaths in Africa from Ebola was in the hundreds of thousands. Result? 11,000. He also, if I recall correctly, projected wildly high numbers for AIDS deaths.

maximus otter

They aren't figures; they appear to be guesses. Being wrong by a factor of 25 (at the moment) is not an estimate, it's pessimistic conjecture at best.

I still can't find the figures I read this morning, but Prof. Ferguson has form for massively over-egging the pudding. From memory, repeat from my memory, his estimate of deaths in Africa from Ebola was in the hundreds of thousands. Result? 11,000. He also, if I recall correctly, projected wildly high numbers for AIDS deaths.

maximus otter
I have already explained why those figures are not out by a factor of 25 and are in fact quite accurate. If you can't get your head round it, I can't help you. I am going to make a prediction here - you haven't read the papers on AIDS and Ebola and neither have I but I will bet those high figures are based on doing nothing to contain the infections instead of doing loads to contain the infections. To repeat - preventing infections will bring the death figures down. Not preventing infections makes death rates higher. I don't really understand the difficulty with this.

1. January 2002: Prof Ferguson estimates that up to 50,000 people could be killed in the UK by BSE:

"...we estimate the 95% confidence interval for future vCJD mortality to be 50 to 50,000 human deaths considering exposure to bovine BSE alone, with the upper bound increasing to 150,000 once we include exposure from the worst-case ovine BSE scenario examined."

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/11786878

Actual UK death toll: 177

2. "Last month [i.e. August 2005] Neil Ferguson, a professor of mathematical biology at Imperial College London, told Guardian Unlimited that up to 200 million people could be killed.

"Around 40 million people died in 1918 Spanish flu outbreak," said Prof Ferguson. "There are six times more people on the planet now so you could scale it up to around 200 million people probably."

A Department of Health contingency plan states anywhere that there could be between 21,500 and 709,000 deaths in Britain."

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/sep/30/birdflu.jamessturcke

Actual death toll, worldwide? 375

Mysteriously, Prof. Ferguson is still refusing to release the source code for his modelling program.

maximus otter

Actual UK death toll: 177
177 is higher than 50 and lower than 50,000. The wide margin of error shows how difficult it is to predict exactly.

2. "Last month [i.e. August 2005] Neil Ferguson, a professor of mathematical biology at Imperial College London, told Guardian Unlimited that up to 200 million people could be killed.
The important sentence to read in that article is the following:-
David Nabarro, one of the most senior public health experts at the World Health Organisation, said outbreaks of bird flu, which have killed at least 65 people in Asia, could mutate into a form transmittable between people.

It COULD mutate into a form transmittable between people. In fact, and I can't stress this highly enough, it DIDN'T. Hence the low death rate.

If his margin of error is so massive, and the variables are imponderable - "It could mutate..." - may I suggest that we pay Prof. Ferguson somewhere between 50p and £50,000 per annum, the final sum to be considerably closer to 50p; then refuse to divulge the equation by which his pay is calculated.

He should be entirely content with that.

maximus otter

There's a lot of 'could be', and 'if', and 'maybe', and 'possibly', in most of what (the well intentioned I'm sure) Prof Neil Ferguson has to say.

However, 'If my auntie had a cock she'd be my uncle'.............

There's a lot of 'could be', and 'if', and 'maybe', and 'possibly', in most of what (the well intentioned I'm sure) Prof Neil Ferguson has to say.

That is only because he doesn't know and neither does anyone else. Absolute certainty about an unknown virus/prion or whatever and how it is going to travel through an entirely unpredictable population would be great but it is just not possible.

If his margin of error is so massive, and the variables are imponderable - "It could mutate..." - may I suggest that we pay Prof. Ferguson somewhere between 50p and £50,000 per annum, the final sum to be considerably closer to 50p; then refuse to divulge the equation by which his pay is calculated.
Only if you promise not to get angry about his £50,000 salary even though he is only earning £1.50.. :)

Back