• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Spam (Canned Meat Product)

When I was a kid I loved Spam. Then someone introduced me this stuff and I have never looked back. lol

38c6f12cdf1486d2b80fbcf42b5f6acb.jpeg

I can't find it sold anywhere anymore. Haven't seen it in a store for years. I know it still exists. :(

Aren't human lips pretty much spam flavoured anyway?
I suggest you conduct a survey - go round a busy street, kissing random strangers along the way.
Report back once you're out of jail.

You can buy tins of 'tongue' as well.

The problem with that is, how do you know when you've finished eating it?
"Eat what? But it's been in someone else's mouth."

ETA back when I used to eat meat, I was quite partial to a bit of tongue. But only if properly pressed. One of the most unappetising things I have ever been offered to eat - and bear in mind I have eaten a sparrow, whole - was presented to me in the last throes of the USSR: tongue, sliced longitudinally, with taste buds still visible. You can have mine.

Last edited:
Hawaiians are really keen on spam. I do recall it being used in exchange for other goods.

Though the name Spam is a shortened version of "spiced ham," Army soldiers would often refer to it as "Special Army Meat." Surpluses of Spam made their way from the soldiers' supplies into native diets throughout the Pacific. To this day, Hawaiians love Spam Musubi, a sushi-style slice of Spam served with rice and seaweed, spam fried rice, and my dad's favorite, spam and eggs.
Spam is so popular throughout Hawaii that it's been nicknamed the "Hawaiian steak" and is even found on the islands' McDonald's and Burger King menus. During the last week of April, the annual Spam Jamtakes place in Waikiki. And before taking office, Hawaii's most prominent native son, Barack Obama, surprised reporters when he ordered spam musubi while on vacation in Oahu.

But Hawaii isn't alone. In the territory of Guam, each person consumes 16 cans of Spam a year on average. In the UK, Spam fritters are served battered and deep-fried. In Hong Kong, Spam is often eaten with instant noodles. And as a result of the Korean War, Koreans enjoy Spam kimbap, a rice and vegetable filled seaweed roll.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/why-...BBZFQAyNCrgBuex2-KsfWNa1LaXqq9zNAoWfHLvRYjOPj

I was going to say something "smart" about spam and pineapple as a delicacy, but that's gammon and pineapple, isn't it? I'm out of practice with meat.

I'm guessing you're too young to remember spam fritters for school dinner? I actually liked them a lot. Haven't had them for over 40 years.

I always liked them, also haven't had them for over 40 years. Despite their reputation some items in old school school dinners were really tasty.

dunno, I've never tried them with ketchup! :dinner:
I recall the horrible tastes of fried spam. When my mum made dinner, dad was there to insure we finished our meals like it or not. Spam was in the or not category.
I recall a WW2 documentary stating that much of the Red Army ate spam and was very grateful to get it. This being true can Y imagine what they didn't like to eat?

I didn't realise spam has it's own thread.

"Eat what? But it's been in someone else's mouth."

ETA back when I used to eat meat, I was quite partial to a bit of tongue. But only if properly pressed. One of the most unappetising things I have ever been offered to eat - and bear in mind I have eaten a sparrow, whole - was presented to me in the last throes of the USSR: tongue, sliced longitudinally, with taste buds still visible. You can have mine.
I remember as a child cold (cow's) tongue was a standard meal. My mother was first generation poor Russia/Poland and I imagine this came from the "eat every part of the cow" philosophy from my grandmother. It was sliced but you could certainly tell it was a tongue. It smelled awful cooking and I have never looked back. On the other hand, her cabbage borscht was pretty good.

Last edited:
I remember as a child cold (cow's) tongue was a standard meal. My mother was first generation poor Russia/Poland and I imagine this came from the "eat every part of the cow" philosophy from my grandmother. It was sliced but you could certainly tell it was a tongue. It smelled awful cooking and I have never looked back. On the other hand, her cabbage borscht was pretty good.
I used to cook tongue now and then. As longer simmering is good for it, I'd use the electric casserole, and would occasionally get up in the morning to a big swollen tongue sticking out from under the lid... :horr:

I have not had the dubious joy of Spam for years but I had something very like it a year or so back - one of those thick, red-cased Kosher sausages. I had assumed it would be spicy or interesting but it was very like Spam. Obviously, it contained no pork; the meat was chicken and beef, iirc. The key ingredients, I think were potato starch, which gave it a gelatinous texture and some flavour-enhancer for the nondescript savoury funk.

Back in the day, my mother would serve up a weary salad in which "luncheon-meat" starred. It was bargain-counter Mortadella, I suppose. There was also a little red fellow, who went by the name of Polony. I'm told this is a corruption of Bologna Sausage. There were also versions of luncheon-meat with egg or stuffing at their centre. Ah, such were the joys of UK cuisine, as it emerged from its WWII coma!

Oddly enough, talk of Spam fritters made me briefly nostalgic to taste one again . . . :reyes:

Last edited:
I have not had the dubious joy of Spam for years but I had something very like it a year or so back - one of those thick, red-cased Kosher sausages. I had assumed it would be spicy or interesting but it was very like Spam. Obviously, it contained no pork; the meat was chicken and beef, iirc. The key ingredients, I think were potato starch, which gave it a gelatinous texture and some flavour-enhancer for the nondescript savoury funk.

Mmmmm.....scrum diddly etc.

Sounds about as inviting as eating your own entrails. What made it kosher I wonder - was it blessed by a rabbi beforehand?

Also sounds a bit like the sausages you find sold from vans outside football matches etc. Virulent orange/red & about 9" long, in a roll. Yum.

Last edited:
What made it kosher I wonder - was it blessed by a rabbi beforehand?

There is a dispensation, I gather, where any food can be declared Kosher by a Rebbe, in an emergency. As the spelling may indicate, I've mixed with some Orthodox ones lately - nothing to do with my sausage adventure, though!

The business of getting a certificate from the Beth Din is famously complex, however. Sequestered production-lines are called for, as even the machine-oil needs to be Kosher. I have seen a woman angrily snatch her shopping off the supermarket belt, when someone prematurely placed something Treif near to her stuff. :oops:

There is a dispensation, I gather, where any food can be declared Kosher by a Rebbe, in an emergency. As the spelling may indicate, I've mixed with some Orthodox ones lately - nothing to do with my sausage adventure, though!

The business of getting a certificate from the Beth Din is famously complex, however. Sequestered production-lines are called for, as even the machine-oil needs to be Kosher. I have seen a woman angrily snatch her shopping off the supermarket belt, when someone prematurely placed something Treif near to her stuff. :oops:

I used to work for a jewish organisation. Getting a product certified as kosher in some circumstances involves nothing more than getting a rabbi to bless the product. That does the trick.

I seem to remember he has to visit the premises briefly, do a blessing & it's AOK. Kosher wine?

We're getting away from spam however.

Kosher wine?

I think Kosher wine is a product that has to be produced by Jews to qualify. Fermentation and leavening are so much at the centre of the faith's image-bank.

As for Spam, I did know it is huge in Hawaii. I have also seen videos from the Far East of stir-fries made with the stuff.

Seems a shame to spoil a nice stir-fry with chunks of anonymous-tasting matter but I guess the tofu-eaters of this world have form! :evil:

Back