• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Minor strangeness for me now...
Just got back from shopping at Tesco. I'd won 2 free lucky dips on the Lotto and my lottery ticket was in the basket.
Unloading basket into car... it was there one second and the next - *poof* - it was gone.
Looked all around the car, couldn't find it.
Looked on/in all the bags, nada.

This has happened to me before. Like it was the winning lottery ticket and the people who run the Matrix said ' he can't have that'.

but did you check to see if it become stuck to the bottom of one of the bags/items in the basket that had since been decanted????

A little oddness. Since my father passed away, earlier in the year, I've experienced this three times - I see a large puff of smoke out of the corner of my eye. As soon as i turn my head to look at it its gone, no smoke, no smell, nothing there. I mentioned my fathers passing because he was a very heavy smoker from about 1950 (when he was about 13) until around 2014, when he stopped smoking. Its like someone has just exhaled a large puff of smoke, grey and moving. My husband has been with me twice and has seen nothing. Neither of us smoke. So, is it a message from beyond the grave or am I going mad?

*Also, Merry Christmas!*

Death is the greatest mystery of all, we just do not know what is on the other side.

My wife has had numerous similar events over the years when her mom and dad passed away.

When my wife’ mother was so sick with cancer, my wife claims her father came to her and told her that her mom would live a few more years, and today was not the day she would die.

This turned out to be true as predicted by her dead father.

A strange little timeslip type event this morning. Set off at 9am (confirmed by telly time, watch and car clock). Drove the 10 miles to my house and did a couple of jobs, sorted post, drove a couple of miles to post office where I had to queue behind a dozen people all wanting to have a long chat with the 2 counter staff. Drove into the large car park in town (so now about 12 miles from where I started) and walked round shops to buy last minute cards. Had to queue again. Return to my house to drop stuff off and collect some tools. About half way on the return journey stopped off to get a couple of items and then realised that it was only 10am! Checked with car radio and clock and watch was correct. A bit of time compression going on there. Weird.

How bizarre (and right up my street of course). :joyf:

How long, do you think, this collection of journeys and tasks would have normally taken you (i.e. what time would you have expected it to be when you found it was only 10am)?

...I see a large puff of smoke out of the corner of my eye. As soon as i turn my head to look at it its gone, no smoke, no smell, nothing...

...is it a message from beyond the grave or am I going mad?

No, but l suggest that you make an appointment with your local optician, as you may well be suffering from something that affects me (and many people over 50): posterior vitreous detachment, or PVD.

Don’t worry: it’s not serious, and your local Specsaver (or equivalent) can probably rule out/confirm very rapidly.

maximus otter

How bizarre (and right up my street of course). :joyf:

How long, do you think, this collection of journeys and tasks would have normally taken you (i.e. what time would you have expected it to be when you found it was only 10am)?
I can only imagine that with a number of minor errands I had to run, and with much less traffic on the road, I simply speeded up. Usually the 10 mile drive alone would take 30 mins in the often heavy traffic. My perception of the time taken to do the little little jobs and queuing etc was obviously distorted. Just shows what I can actually achieve if required, as opposed to the fairly sedate life I normally lead (sometimes much to the despair of Ms Petes)!

A little oddness. Since my father passed away, earlier in the year, I've experienced this three times - I see a large puff of smoke out of the corner of my eye. As soon as i turn my head to look at it its gone, no smoke, no smell, nothing there. I mentioned my fathers passing because he was a very heavy smoker from about 1950 (when he was about 13) until around 2014, when he stopped smoking. Its like someone has just exhaled a large puff of smoke, grey and moving. My husband has been with me twice and has seen nothing. Neither of us smoke. So, is it a message from beyond the grave or am I going mad?

*Also, Merry Christmas!*
My father smoked for 70 years, in the last few decades of his life went to a pipe. Sometimes you would only know he was in the room when you saw the clouds of pipe smoke. For some time after his death, I "saw" smoke out of the corner of my eye and smelled his pipe. As Max Otter says though could be a physical problem which should be checked out. Mine wasn't, fortunately.

I'm just home after a country walk.

On my drive home I was stationary directly behind a van at two sets of lights. I had a clear, unobstructed view of the rear of the van for about 90 seconds in total. I use glasses for reading, but my distance eyesight is fine. The weather was fine and clear; the back of the target van was clean.

I read the metal name badges on the rear of the vehicle on both occasions: they clearly read Dispatch (the model), and Citreon (the manufacturer).

Except that the marque is, and has always been, Citrn.

03-citroen-dispatch-07.jpg

My first thought was that the disputed badge had been damaged and the letters replaced in the incorrect order. The badge, however, appeared to be integral, i.e. all the letters of the name are attached one to another. Also, it gave no sign of having been broken off then reattached.

I'm mystified.

maximus otter

*Also, Merry Christmas!*

I've had a similar experience Cherrybomb!

On my drive home I was stationary directly behind a van at two sets of lights. I had a clear, unobstructed view of the rear of the van for about 90 seconds in total. I use glasses for reading, but my distance eyesight is fine. The weather was fine and clear; the back of the target van was clean.

I read the metal name badges on the rear of the vehicle on both occasions: they clearly read Dispatch (the model), and Citreon (the manufacturer).

My first thought was that the disputed badge had been damaged and the letters replaced in the incorrect order. The badge, however, appeared to be integral, i.e. all the letters of the name are attached one to another. Also, it gave no sign of having been broken off then reattached.

I'm mystified.

maximus otter
Like a twit, I zoomed in on the photo, before I realised that it wasn't your picture!

The brand, as you say "is, and has always been, Citrn", so I can only imagine that someone had had a laugh with the badge, as you suggested (however fiddly a job that might be).

It's not uncommon for DIY car customizers to modify the factory badging just to make a joke or do something different. "Citreon" is a very common misspelling of "Citroën" (Google 'Citreon' for proof ... ), so I suppose there's a basis for playing on this widespread mistake as a joke.

I would've expected that 'citron' is possibly more apt. As a lot of french cars are lemons anyway.

A memory has come to me.....of my mate when he bought a Austin Rover Metro 'Sport' back in about 1990, and the badge got changed to read 'Spurt' instead.

I'm mystified.

maximus otter
These type of badges are generally made up of individual letters, so transposing is easy. As you say though if it was a solid one it's weird. Could have been a Friday afternoon build when some pissed French worker thought he'd have a laugh. I've known several characters who worked in the car industry, all have said this Friday pm job is or was a Real Thing, and a lot of stuff done on that period had to be redone, that is if it was spotted by inspection.

It's not uncommon for DIY car customizers to modify the factory badging just to make a joke or do something different. "Citreon" is a very common misspelling of "Citroën" (Google 'Citreon' for proof ... ), so I suppose there's a basis for playing on this widespread mistake as a joke.

I am well known for being infuriated beyond the point of reason by people who advertise their car on cards in shop windows and misspell the make. I often have to be helped from the shop by kind people, whilst I mutter "it's written on the BACK OF THE CAR! All they had to do was go out and COPY IT DOWN..."

You know sometimes there's a loud mechanical noise coming from outside, and you gradually realise it's drowning out t'wireless; so you resolve to investigate once you've finished your brew/pulled your kecks up/put the casserole in, then when you get round to it, everything's gone quiet?

Just me then.

Follow up on my seeing smoke - its rather an anti climax, but based on the advice of some of you lovely people, I had an eye test and its the start of a cataract. Boring and sadly not Fortean, but thanks for the advice!

You know sometimes there's a loud mechanical noise coming from outside, and you gradually realise it's drowning out t'wireless; so you resolve to investigate once you've finished your brew/pulled your kecks up/put the casserole in, then when you get round to it, everything's gone quiet?

Just me then.

No not just you Scargy .... I do it as well. :hahazebs:

No not just you Scargy .... I do it as well. :hahazebs:

The noise outside our gaff was only briefly a mystery. Yesterday I noticed that the appalling potholes in the road round the corner had been drawn round with blue paint, indicating imminent repairs. They've now been filled.

As the whole job lasted about half or three quarters of an hour they probably just had a shovel each of tar chucked in and flattened down a bit. That's how it's done locally.

Back