• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

The number of these cards I see would presuppose a level of dyslexia in the general population of about 90% though.

Having two children with difficulties of this nature I have every sympathy for sufferers, but people who can write out the rest of the advert without a mistake, but are tripped by the complexities of Citroen or Chevrolet are probaby not dyslexic.
Yes I would agree. Hope your two manage to cope ok. My eldest had to under go some horrendous operations when young which affected his ability to read and write. When asked to copy out a word, he would simply write out random symbols. Fortunately his brain eventually reconnected and he eventually managed to overcome the problem.

Thanks, Pete, they both get by very well. Eldest son has problems that they couldn't pinpoint - on being tested at eight years old for dyslexia we were told it couldn't be that as his reading age was off the chart, whilst his writing age was somewhere nearer pre-school... hey ho.

Re cold things living in houses - my new cottage seems to be a magnet for hibernating wasps. I've found several whilst tidying up pre Christmas. And during Christmas itself, whilst I had the heating on more than normal, my daughter found a wasp buzzing around inside her jumper!

This isn't really strange, more interesting but it could go in any number of threads so I'll put it here.

Went out for a walk on the 24th in the snow and as we came around a bend in the path, I noticed a levitating piece of ice at about eye-level, right in front of us.
On closer inspection it revealed itself to be attached to a length of spider silk which was strung out between the trees on either side. You can't see the silk in the photos (you could barely see it IRL) and the second one is blurred because it was freezing and I wanted to get my gloves back on quick.
The piece of ice was 1.5 inches and I would guess the length of silk had to be 30ft long.

View attachment 33091 View attachment 33092
Am I the only person confused by the footsteps in the snow?

My hypothesis: Consider that some people walk like ducks, and others put one foot in front of the other. This was a one-foot-in-front-of-the-other who walked in one direction, plus another one-foot-in-front-of-the-other who turned around and went back in the direction they'd come from.
Otherwise, somebody levitated.
Notice the heel marks, they show the direction.

My hypothesis: Consider that some people walk like ducks, and others put one foot in front of the other. This was a one-foot-in-front-of-the-other who walked in one direction, plus another one-foot-in-front-of-the-other who turned around and went back in the direction they'd come from.
Nope it's Mr Brrr at it again.

I don't think that is possible as there would be some sort of turn mark. I reckon it is just a perspective problem. Compare the footprints on the left with the other two sets. The second last footprint is further away from the camera than the other two sets. The "missing" footprints are just slightly below the frame of the picture. It makes it look like they have spontaneously appeared/disappeared. It's cool!

I would say that it's probably best not to hang around there though.
From the foot marks in the snow it looks like some kind of oddball might be hanging around!
jake the peg.png

My very minor minor strangeness just occurred.

I was on the WTF page on this very forum, when my laptop powered down completely. Now, it's not that odd because the sockets are rather dodgy and plugs are given to pulling out slightly, and the battery doesn't work. So usually when this happens I work my way round and find that a plug has been pulled slightly from its seating and that's caused the laptop to switch off.

This time, all was secure. Powered back up no problem, once I pressed the Power switch. Very minorly odd but the fact that I was on this very forum at the time made me think of it as a Strangeness.

Do a search online to see what issues may affect your laptop—several normal things, including overheating and stuff that needs to be updated—can cause a laptop to shut down on its own.

(Sorry, that just took all the interesting mystery out of your Strangeness. :oops: )

I would say that it's probably best not to hang around there though.
From the foot marks in the snow it looks like some kind of oddball might be hanging around!
View attachment 33234
Ugh - I shudder when I see that guy now. And he was let out early, but subsequently seen hanging around a school. Revolting.

Do a search online to see what issues may affect your laptop—several normal things, including overheating and stuff that needs to be updated—can cause a laptop to shut down on its own.

(Sorry, that just took all the interesting mystery out of your Strangeness. :oops: )
Nothing that should have caused that sudden shut down. It's too old now for updates. And once I'd powered it back up again, it worked on and continued to work (and, in fact, does so now) without further power-downs.

I did say it was a very minor minor strangeness!

too old now for updates
I would say that if it has a physical hard-drive then it is likely to be reaching it's end-of-life.
They can only sustain a limited number of booting-up procedures and continued use.
In a domestic setting you're lucky to get more than 3 or 4 years out of one.
(a lot of computers used in offices are quite often just left turned on and so will last longer)
I would advise upgrading to a newer machine with a solid-state gubbins inside, before it becomes truly unusable.
In the meantime a good clear out of old files that you no longer use, uninstalling any old programs no longer used, and a defrag and disk-clean-up, might eke out a few more months if you're lucky.

I would say that if it has a physical hard-drive then it is likely to be reaching it's end-of-life.
They can only sustain a limited number of booting-up procedures and continued use.
In a domestic setting you're lucky to get more than 3 or 4 years out of one.
(a lot of computers used in offices are quite often just left turned on and so will last longer)
I would advise upgrading to a newer machine with a solid-state gubbins inside, before it becomes truly unusable.
In the meantime a good clear out of old files that you no longer use, uninstalling any old programs no longer used, and a defrag and disk-clean-up, might eke out a few more months if you're lucky.
Or, to really experience some strangeness, you could experiment with installing Linux...

Thanks chaps for the concern. The laptop in question isn't my only machine and is left turned on all the time. I just use it for writing on these days, and access to the net when I'm on it. I have a second laptop (this one) which is new, for everything else.

Oh, and everything important is either synced to this machine or on Dropbox. You won't get rid of me that ea

Minor strangeness for me this morning. I woke up to the house smelling of slightly-burnt toast. When I went outside to take in the bin, I noticed that the smell was also outside.
I can only theorise that somebody lit a bonfire and threw on lots of old bread, or maybe the Jordans factory went up in flames.

Minor strangeness from the start of the New Year. We were doing the traditional opening the back door to let the old year out, when I thought our small black cat rushed past me. It wasn’t him, and he was shut in the front room as he’s an indoor cat. Something shadowy shot past me, just not sure what.

Minor strangeness from the start of the New Year. We were doing the traditional opening the back door to let the old year out, when I thought our small black cat rushed past me. It wasn’t him, and he was shut in the front room as he’s an indoor cat. Something shadowy shot past me, just not sure what.
These shadowy cats are getting to be an issue, I tell ye...

Decades ago I saw a black cat on at least 3 occasions I can recall that either disappeared or rapidly shot away (losing its cat shape to streaks of blackness) as I tried to look at it full on. Each time I was in no doubt it wasn't a real flesh & blood cat. The first one I dismissed as some kind of hallucination because I was very ill at the time, but not the subsequent ones I saw years later - one in an office I was working in and the other briefly sitting next to my boyfriend while he looked in a shop window. It was many years later that I read accounts of Shadow People having shadow dogs & cats.

Minor strangeness for me this morning. I woke up to the house smelling of slightly-burnt toast. When I went outside to take in the bin, I noticed that the smell was also outside.
I can only theorise that somebody lit a bonfire and threw on lots of old bread, or maybe the Jordans factory went up in flames.
Eeek - not being dramatic here M but the smelling of slightly burnt toast as you probably know can be a sign of a major health problem. If you keep smelling it, please please get yourself checked out forthwith if not sooner. I'm sure you're ok though.

Eeek - not being dramatic here M but the smelling of slightly burnt toast as you probably know can be a sign of a major health problem. If you keep smelling it, please please get yourself checked out forthwith if not sooner. I'm sure you're ok though.
I feel fine, but thanks for mentioning it.
If I keep smelling it, I will get it checked out.

Back