• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Seriously Bad Taste Merchandise

Only if they were in mint condition, still in their original packaging!
1611280713963.png

I dont know if anyone remembers the 'John Smiths' beer adverts with Peter Kay diving, the catchphrase being 'Top Bombing', i remember in HMV you could buy a slogan t-shirt with the catchphrase in bold letters, this was shortly before the 9/11 twin towers attack, they disappeared very soon after that (no great suprise) and i have looked online and can find no sign of them, anyone else remember seeing them?
I did however in my searching find some t-shirts in equally bad taste

View attachment 34096View attachment 34097View attachment 34098
Im not suprise to see the Hiroshima tee currently unavailable and no time idea when it will be, we can only hope, NEVER!

I rather wish they had been there and not bought the T-shirts! :(

I gather this repugnant t-shirt, as seen during the invasion of the Capitol building, has now been removed from sale by Etsy:

tshirt.JPG

Not official merch, but I remember a couple of tshirts in rather bad taste from the early 90's; one was adorned with a genuine publicity shot of Kurt Cobain pointing a gun at his head with the slogan "Nice shootin' son!" below.
Obviously this was post his passing.

The second was a homemade tshirt worn by some punter at Glastonbury, that gained some music press infamy due it simply stating "Mavis Riley takes it up the sh*tter".

(apologies for the language)

Back in the eighties, I had a King Kurt t-shirt, purchased at one of their 'food fight' gigs. Not only did it feature two rat's f***ing (one having an unfeasibly large human penis) but for ages, the stains from the baked bean sauce were impossible to get out.
At the same time, a workmate on the archaeological dig managed to be in the background of a local TV interview with one of our bosses whilst wearing a "Gay Cowboys" t-shirt from the Seditionaries shop (before it closed). :)

I suspect a lot of these t shirts don’t actually exist, it’s just companies who will print things on shirts and you set up as an outlet / seller and upload some pictures which can be put on merchandise and then if anyone’s buys them you get some of the cash. For example the CFZ’s selling of Richard Freeman undercrackers! Please tell me no one bought those!

Yup, Gordon. Most merch. that gets sold these days is in effect print-on-demand. So any pictures are usually visualisations rather than an actual printed item.

Reminds me that I have somewhere salted away a Star Wars invisible space ship or battle cruiser or action figure or summat.

Can't remember, except that it's made of transparent plastic. Someone will know what it is! :chuckle:
Force spirit of Obi Wan?
4899052A-E0A2-4557-8D20-4038F50DDC34.jpeg

Force spirit of Obi Wan?
View attachment 34131
No, it is clear plastic. Still in its wrapping, picked up second hand, immaculate.

I joked that an empty box would have done, like the Action Man Deserter! :chuckle:

Can't even remember if it's a person or a vehicle now, it's so long since I've seen it.

I also have a similarly-packaged mediaeval-looking Star Wars war machine toy, summat like a trebuchet mounted on a raft.
Both toys are in one of my sheds somewhere.

No, it is clear plastic. Still in its wrapping, picked up second hand, immaculate.
Quite apart from Star Wars tat ... er 'collectable merchandising' ;) ...
In my childhood, I collected real action figures, i.e. toys that you could get uniforms, guns etc. for and were intended to be played with. Yes, Action Man was my biggest interest.
I had two trunks with suits from the 70's onwards, including the 'astronaut' (with a jet-pack zip line), a "Colditz" set - prisoner get-up and German guard uniform (cardboard sentry box included). I had a "field radio" with completely shite changeable 'disks' of dialogue, a bazooka (spring-loaded plastic bullet firing), a grapnel launcher (ditto). I had a load of (plastic) stuff - all genuine 'line products'.
I recount this to show my hoarding instinct over such toys.
Now ...
At the same time, I collected other action toy figures. Yes, I had the Bionic Man but I couldn't afford the crappy accessories. But the 1980's seemed to be replete with non-TV tie-in figures. Many toy manufacturers wanted to start an action-figure craze, along with an accessory sales base. Somewhere I have an old photo of my small collection, posed in a "group" in my back garden.
Among these are a large (about the size of Bionic Man, which was huge in comparison to Action Man) "Cowboy" and "Indian", a Pirate (push button to 'operate' his arm swinging a cutlass, his wooden leg hollow with a hidden treasure map), a Spaceman (crap figure - solid limbs and rubber joints - but came with funky accessories, almost 'hard science') ...
And a transparent plastic figure with interchangeable arms and legs. Had a similar foe (of course) which I never got, these were only about 6" tall. Completely transparent plastic, with visible gold innards. His arms could be changed with a (spring-loaded) bolt thrower or 'grapnel', a water pistol ... er ... acid projector. I had a pair of 'motorised mobility legs', i.e. two caterpillar-tread rollerskate legs, but you could get an all-terrain 'extension' i.e. a motorised tracked vehicle he clipped into.
It was this last toy that 'Scargs post called to mind.
And, I emphasise, that this was before action figures were marketed as collectable and actually designed to play with. :)
As soon as I can, I'll dig out that old photo, muck about with it on Photoshop, and try to enlarge it enough for people to identify some of the more obscure toys. :)

And a transparent plastic figure with interchangeable arms and legs. Had a similar foe (of course) which I never got, these were only about 6" tall. Completely transparent plastic, with visible gold innards.

I had these, did the "Baddie" look a bit like Peter Sutcliffe with a kind of brainstem under his removable head? I think he was called Muton. The other fella might have gone by the name Cyborg.
I remember them as slightly taller than 6".

My memory might be in error over the size (it was a long time ago and I don't have it anymore) but that sounds on the button!

Back