• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where Did All the Crappers Go?

For a short time i worked for a company that produced the Virgin Air Miles membership cards, we used to have huge lists of names and it was always fun finding strange and unusual names, there were, not supisingly, loads of Holmes and Watsons but a suprising amount of Moriatys too :D

I have a silly surname by marriage, often wish I'd never taken it but I thought if the kids have to suffer it so should I.

My name was originally Cadog (a Saint), then shortened to Dog in the middle ages them changed because Dog is a stupid name.

My surname is very rare, apparently only 842 of us in the world. As far as we know only 3 in the UK (me, Mum and Dad! MrsCarlos kept her surname, and my sister changed hers).

I have no children so it dies with me.

My wife's maiden surname is so peculiar that it seems she is the only one in the world, so I decided to keep it with my last name to preserve it

It is:
Landratoske

If anyone has any insight about it, please share - ta

Wow. Certainly if you google, only one comes up..

My wife's maiden surname is so peculiar that it seems she is the only one in the world, so I decided to keep it with my last name to preserve it

It is:
Landratoske

If anyone has any insight about it, please share - ta
Wow, i just looked on all the genealogy sites and origins of surnames sites and there is nothing at all, never seen that before, you sure your wife is not an alien? haha

I used to work with a De'ath a few years ago.

And while not a strange surname as such, I'm sure we've all seen this guy before:

importedImage295645_header

I have known a genuine De'ath. His girlfriend had the wonderful surname Goodbody.

Also an Onions (pronounced, apparently , On-Ions - how we laughed) and a Sue Garlick pronounced the obvious way.

My maternal grandmother's surname was Trollop.

There is also a Holly Green who is a weather forcaster on tv
Here in New York we have Amy Freeze doing the weather. We also used to have Storm Field - not his real first name, but a nickname he earned in the womb due to his constant motion. (His father was longtime NBC weather and science reporter Frank Field.)

that's her alright
Just a question, did your wifes family migrate from another country at some point and the name written down by an official wrongly, then over time it has become 'just the was its spelled'?
Many traditional english names have varient spellings due to the local priest not knowing how to spell the name correctly or spelling it phonetically, and the persons being wed/baptised etc not being able to rwad or write, the name 'Sinclair' springs to mind, which originally comes from the name 'St.Clair', when asked what your family name is and being unable to spell, it is easy to hear St.Clair as Sinclair, so the priest writes Sinclair in the parish records and from that point onwards your family name has been changed from one thing to the other.

Last edited:
My surname is very rare, apparently only 842 of us in the world. As far as we know only 3 in the UK (me, Mum and Dad! MrsCarlos kept her surname, and my sister changed hers).

I have no children so it dies with me.
Mine's pretty rare as well - only 9 of us in the UK, and only one to carry it on to the next generation, so definitely endangered :) .

I checked my surname and there are 2,652 of us worldwide if it is reliable.

I checked my surname and there are 2,652 of us worldwide if it is reliable.
I checked the surname of an ex girlfriend who had an unusual name. There are 23 listed in the entire world, so probably all her family. There is also one incidence of it in the UK and looking at the map its probably her.

Apparently there are 23 541 with my surname in the world.

You can check yours here

https://forebears.io/surnames
Thanks very much for that link. 101 in the world. mainly in France and Switzerland. (I happen to know in the south of France) which makes sense - my paternal Grandfather was born in Switzerland of French parents. I thought there were some in Austria as well but apparently not.

Apparently there are 23 541 with my surname in the world.

You can check yours here

https://forebears.io/surnames
I share first name, surname and honorific with an anaesthetist in London. I sometimes wish I'd accepted some of the invitations to Harley Street champagne receptions that used to come my way - there wasn't any of that carry-on in my own field...

My maternal grandmother's surname was Trollop.

My old school was founded by a Trollope. At our 350th anniversary one of his descendants, Major Trollpe-Bellew, came to do the prizes at Speech Day.

We had two unrelated postgrads with the surname Butt in our lab at one time, and I know there is another Butt in a different lab. I have a feeling ti might be a common enough name in the South-West of the UK.

Back