• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Where Did All the Crappers Go?

My old school was founded by a Trollope. At our 350th anniversary one of his descendants, Major Trollpe-Bellew, came to do the prizes at Speech Day.

We had two unrelated postgrads with the surname Butt in our lab at one time, and I know there is another Butt in a different lab. I have a feeling ti might be a common enough name in the South-West of the UK.
Youve got Nicky Butt who used to play for Man Utd

Screenshot_20210211-205648.jpg

My old school was founded by a Trollope. At our 350th anniversary one of his descendants, Major Trollpe-Bellew, came to do the prizes at Speech Day.

We had two unrelated postgrads with the surname Butt in our lab at one time, and I know there is another Butt in a different lab. I have a feeling ti might be a common enough name in the South-West of the UK.
Trollope with an 'e'? Oh posh :)

My name is pretty common - 235,000 or so. Surprisingly, the highest density is in Samoa.

Quite often, such people get proud and defensive about their names, and resolutely refuse to change them.
I've met a few people called Pratt, and one called Ramsbottom, and they were all fiercely defensive of their names.
I used to so work with a Mr. Minge, I pronounced it Minjay one day and he yelled at me. It's MINGE!!

Apparently there are 23 541 with my surname in the world.

You can check yours here

https://forebears.io/surnames
13,136 with my surname worldwide if spelt with two t's, 68 in the UK (wonder how many are relations ?)
1,183 if spelt with one t.
1 if spelt with three t's (weirdo)
12 'Mericans and Aussies use my surname as a first name (what is wrong with these people ?!)

Curiously, there are also 101 Trollops (no 'e') recorded on that site, exactly the same number as my own surname, which, as mentioned above, originates in France (or Switzerland) .

That's some coincidence. Only 2 Trollops left in England though. Nan was one of 14 children but 12 of them were girls - the sons I never met nor heard of, I suspect they might have been WW1 casualties.

I was quite suprised my surname has its highest density in Antigua & Barbuda considering my name has a Scottish origin.

Lots of Caribbean people have Scottish surnames because of Scotland's historical use of slavery in that region. I'm reminded of the reggae singer Freddie McGregor, who sounds like he should be a crofter. Seriously, though, modern Scotland was built on slavery, tobacco and sugar, and those last two needed slaves to harvest.

Our metalwork schoolteacher was named Pratt. It doesn't seem that uncommon. According to Online Slang Dictionary it derives from prattle - to chatter foolishly/childishly, but as per Oxford Dictionary prat was used in 16th century to mean buttocks/arse.

Yes, our church organist in Peterborough was a Mr Pratt.
I went to school with a Pratt.
Our metalwork schoolteacher was named Pratt. It doesn't seem that uncommon. According to Online Slang Dictionary it derives from prattle - to chatter foolishly/childishly, but as per Oxford Dictionary prat was used in 16th century to mean buttocks/arse.
There was a Pratt in my scout troop when i was a kid

So did I. He lived up to the name.
The one thing I remember about him is that he apparently mooned a bus from a car (he was not driving). Said bus had a number of pupils in who saw his face as well so all these first years ran up to him at school the next day to announce they had witnessed him doing a moonie. He had the decency to go a bright red :)

Just a question, did your wifes family migrate from another country at some point

nope - she was born here within a country where we reside and her father was born here as well. The grandfather (dad's dad) came from unknown country to settle her and born only one male descendant.... We tried to track the grandad without any success - hence my asking for help here if anyone heard of this surname

nope - she was born here within a country where we reside and her father was born here as well. The grandfather (dad's dad) came from unknown country to settle her and born only one male descendant.... We tried to track the grandad without any success - hence my asking for help here if anyone heard of this surname
My guess would be an incompetent immigration official writing your wifes grandfathers name down wrong, or just not caring if he spelled it correctly, it happened a lot more often than it should have.

One of the name origin site threw up some names which may have been the original.
Similar surnames: Andrasko, Andros, Sandrock, Andrade, Mandato, Paratore, Andras

One of the name origin site threw up some names which may have been the original.
Similar surnames: Andrasko, Andros, Sandrock, Andrade, Mandato, Paratore, Andras

cheers SoulEater - however, none of them suggests using "L" as in Landra* prefix, which I found during my web digs in Austria and Germany regions....

well... maybe just to leave it as it is... she is one of a kind

I once had to phone a Mr Onions up when working in the Civil Service, until he shouted down the phone at me "It is O'Nions".

I once had to phone a Mr Onions up when working in the Civil Service, until he shouted down the phone at me "It is O'Nions".

There was a writer called Oliver Onions who insisted his name be pronounced O-Nions too. Must be a family tradition to harangue the ignorant about it.

Back