• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Forum Functions & Functionality: Technical Problems & Known Issues

I can only offer a general answer.

Inserting audio / video content that gets hosted here on the forum server is not currently supported. We do not currently allow audio / video media to be attached to posts.

We do allow embedding of dynamic media content (within posts) that is hosted at registered / reputable third-party sites (e.g., YouTube). In other words, you can post a link to content that's fetched from elsewhere on demand.

I'm not sure a URL pointing to an mp4 file hosted at an arbitrary third-party site is guaranteed to work.

). In other words, you can post a link to content that's fetched from elsewhere on demand.
..and that has its own copyright and data compliance, hence the list of allowed sites. We'll delete any others.

I have noticed that there is a possible problem with the display of notifications in the 'Alerts' page.
It used to be that all the old alerts that I had already seen were 'greyed' on their background, whereas the newer ones that had been added since I last looked would be 'white' backgrounded (if that makes sense).
Now I see that everything has a white background so there is no demarcation between the old and new, I have to rely on remembering what it was that I last looked at.
Which kind of ruins the point of the 'alerts'.
1623072332583.png

Is there a way to embed Instagram posts so they appear as images rather than links?

The forum I copied the Fabulous Stormtrooper (in Random Images) from displayed it as an image type thing - a little like the way Tweets look usually look like when posted here, however, when I copied the link here it came up simply as a link. I've tried to edit it and attempt to post it as "media" but it doesn't work.

Is there a way to embed Instagram posts so they appear as images rather than links?
Currently - No.

Instagram dropped or changed its ability to embed content called from other sites (e.g., WordPress sites; forums) circa October 2020. This caused our XenForo installation to cease being able to call and embed Instagram content.

It remains to be seen whether future XenForo editions will include a way to once again auto-embed Instagram content.

The forum I copied the Fabulous Stormtrooper (in Random Images) from displayed it as an image type thing - a little like the way Tweets look usually look like when posted here, however, when I copied the link here it came up simply as a link. I've tried to edit it and attempt to post it as "media" but it doesn't work.
You could screenshot the page and post it as an image

Yes, anything displayed on my PC screen, if I have difficulty with just 'copy/paste' the original image, what I do is screenshot....
(PrtSc button top right on most PC keyboards - you might need to also hold down a button labelled FN on the bottom left of the keyboard)
.....the whole displayed screen, then open the 'paint' program, 'paste' (ctrl - v) the saved screenshot, then crop out the unwanted bits, then 'save' the image that is left using an easily found filename.
Then you can post that image on here from your saved files.
Thusly this screenshot;
Fort Wiki.png

Becomes this image;
Fort Wiki 2.png

Yes, anything displayed on my PC screen, if I have difficulty with just 'copy/paste' the original image, what I do is screenshot....
(PrtSc button top right on most PC keyboards - you might need to also hold down a button labelled FN on the bottom left of the keyboard)
.....the whole displayed screen, then open the 'paint' program, 'paste' (ctrl - v) the saved screenshot, then crop out the unwanted bits, then 'save' the image that is left using an easily found filename.
Then you can post that image on here from your saved files.
Thusly this screenshot;
View attachment 41392

Becomes this image;
View attachment 41393
On a Samsung phone you just press the volume down and power off button simultaniously to screenshot a page.

A few times today I've had Error 520 messages. Next time I try it seems okay but it's happened two or three times. Just thought you might like to know.

A few times today I've had Error 520 messages. Next time I try it seems okay but it's happened two or three times. Just thought you might like to know.

Thank you.

We are aware of this, but it doesn't seem to be affecting all users equally.

We're looking into it.

:conf2:

Yeah I got that too this morning but it righted itself after about 10 minutes. Said something about Cloudbase or something.

Just my twopennorth, I couldn't press the button to log in earlier (but am home now so already logged in).

The thread 'Advert Music' - I can't view this at all.
Is there something different about it?

Just tested it 'Mythopoeika,' seems to work without any problem.
Still doesn't work for me.
I get a message saying the Internet is not working.

Still doesn't work for me.
I get a message saying the Internet is not working.
Yup. . . had something similar just the other day, when I checked with my Internet Providers 'line check,' it told me the same and it turned out to be that engineers were working on the line improving the performance - which it seems to have done. They also informed me how much more it's going to cost when I renew my contract come October - not so bad, but bad enough!:(

Yup. . . had something similar just the other day, when I checked with my Internet Providers 'line check,' it told me the same and it turned out to be that engineers were working on the line improving the performance - which it seems to have done. They also informed me how much more it's going to cost when I renew my contract come October - not so bad, but bad enough!:(
Except my Internet IS working when I'm trying to open that thread.

Except my Internet IS working when I'm trying to open that thread.
Sorry to here that. . . don't think I can help in that case. Might be worth checking security to see if all is well too?
It could be a false message maybe - try coming back to it a bit later on.
P.S. This is what I can see when I open thread -
Screenshot 2021-08-22 213630.jpg

Last edited:
I turned off my ad blocker - and that cured it!
It must have picked up the word 'advert' and turned off access.
I've retitled the thread, but I don't know whether that will solve the blockage with the ad blocker enabled. It's now titled:

Music Within Advertisements

I can't think of a synonym to use in the title. Any suggestions?

I've retitled the thread, but I don't know whether that will solve the blockage with the ad blocker enabled. It's now titled:

Jingles?

That worked, thanks EG.

Any suggestions?
Maybe it's possible to keep the same word but modify it in some way that the ad-blocker doesn't pick it up?
Hide a blank space within the word, or deliberately spell it wrong?
Or use a 'special' character?
Or hide a hyphen in there using the smallest font possible?
Or change the word into a link to something else?
As in Adv-ert, or A dvert, or Advart, or Advért, or Advert ?

Maybe it's possible to keep the same word but modify it in some way that the ad-blocker doesn't pick it up?
Hide a blank space within the word, or deliberately spell it wrong?
Or use a 'special' character?
Or hide a hyphen in there using the smallest font possible?
Or change the word into a link to something else?
As in Adv-ert, or A dvert, or Advart, or Advért, or Advert ?
Any of those strategies would prevent the word from being an effective search term unless you knew and used the magic misspelling.

Links can't be embedded within thread titles.

I'm surprised an ad blocker would be triggered by a somewhat slang-ish "advert" citation.

Back