• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Minor Strangeness (IHTM)

Same here. Those ultrasonic detectors. I'm too lazy to switch them off so they often go off in heavy rain. But sometimes they go off while driving without an obvious cause. Insects? Air vortices?
Cats seem to like activating those detectors. Son's cat used to do it on his car and then lie smugly on the roof grinning to itself. He cut the wiring out eventually.

My mates brand new Tesla has been doing some unexpected things.
He has owned it since about August and in these few months it has decided not to let him get in on a number of occasions.
One morning it had decided to do a 'cabin warm up' without being told to, and way too hot.
He also had the window wipers deciding to not work on a few occasions.
The main touch screen can be reluctant to work properly if he has cold hands, for some reason.
They're really only minor things though, mostly he doesn't stop enthusing about how good it is.
I have had to remind him that he is lucky that his workplace has fast chargers installed and he is one of only 3 people there with an electric car.
His charger at home takes all night to give him a decent charge up, and that's if he can actually get parked outside his own house. I reckon he would get rid of it if he had to change jobs cos he lives out in the sticks a bit.
Friend works full time, albeit on an agency basis, for an employer who, realising that she has a very long commute and she is indispensable is buying her a top of the range Tesla and having a Tesla charging point installed at work. She is so excited that I hadn't the heart to warn her of the potential problems with them and the lack of manufacturer support in terms of parts and servicing.

I have solved a minor Minor Strangeness of some months' back!

It was to do with finding my laptop switched off at the plug (it's plugged into an extension block, because my bedroom only has one power socket on that side). I was finding my laptop switching itself off because the battery has failed, which is why it's plugged in all the time, because that one switch had been turned off on the extension cable. I wondered if I'd stood on it, but it was tucked under the bed, so I couldn't...

same thing happened the day before yesterday. Laptop switched off, plug turned off. But on this occasion I'd been using the laptop before I'd gone downstairs to make a cup of tea, and I'd heard the dog jumping on and off the bed. Now, I'd ruled her out as the culprit before because the plug was tucked half under the edge of the bed, but I suddenly thought 'what if she's trying to get under the bed for some reason?'

So I looked. And there's a toast crust that she's obviously taken and hidden under there for some unspecified emergency. Her attempts to reach it had caused her to stand on the extension cable switch and I presume that's almost exactly (with some variation of toast crust emergency) what happened before.

You may now call me a slob for not noticing the toast crust previously (I mean who cleans under the bed when you're not expecting visitors?)

It was to do with finding my laptop switched off at the plug (it's plugged into an extension block, because my bedroom only has one power socket on that side). I was finding my laptop switching itself off because the battery has failed, which is why it's plugged in all the time, because that one switch had been turned off on the extension cable. I wondered if I'd stood on it, but it was tucked under the bed, so I couldn't...

same thing happened the day before yesterday. Laptop switched off, plug turned off. But on this occasion I'd been using the laptop before I'd gone downstairs to make a cup of tea, and I'd heard the dog jumping on and off the bed. Now, I'd ruled her out as the culprit before because the plug was tucked half under the edge of the bed, but I suddenly thought 'what if she's trying to get under the bed for some reason?'

So I looked. And there's a toast crust that she's obviously taken and hidden under there for some unspecified emergency. Her attempts to reach it had caused her to stand on the extension cable switch and I presume that's almost exactly (with some variation of toast crust emergency) what happened before.

You may now call me a slob for not noticing the toast crust previously (I mean who cleans under the bed when you're not expecting visitors?)
A mystery solved! :cool:

It's always good to hear an explanation of weirdness. Sometimes it can be obtained on this very board.

For example, a few years ago I had a job where I could take a short cut in past a row of taps, all of which would switch on as I went by. :omg:

It was suggested by some smartarse on'ere that if the taps were motion-activated they'd be set off by someone approaching in a light-reflective garment, for example a cycling jacket.
Like I said, smartarse.
:rolleyes:

:chuckle:

About 3 years after our dog died I found a pigs ear in the spare room.

Had a strange one on Sunday morning. I was out shopping in the Essex market town of Halstead. Walking past a pub on my way to the supermarket, I glanced through one of the pub windows and sitting at one of the tables was a girl dressed up as a clown – the complete outfit including the makeup. The pub was closed at the time, the lights were off and there was nobody else in the pub, just this girl dressed up in a clown’s outfit.

I stopped and pressed my face up against the glass for a clearer look. She was sitting perfectly still her eyes wide open and just staring into space – it was quite a surreal sight to be honest. Can only assume the pub had a fancy dress party the night before, and she drunkenly fell asleep at one of the tables, and the publican left her there overnight to sleep it off.

Couple of days ago I was at the far end of the garden and found a tennis ball. I chucked it at the house, over a wall and a shed, and found later that it had wedged itself in one of my Crocs on the back step. :lol:
t'other night we were eating satsumas and I did that squeeze/flick thing with a pip, where you make it fly randomly and hopefully hit someone. :)

It skipped across the room and into an empty whisky tin, where it bounced around a few times. I was highly amused. :chuckle:

That could be one of those stupid Team Building exercise puzzles. ie "Join the dots between a laptop switching itself off randomly, and the existence of a long lost toast crust"

I had what seemed to be an auditory hallucination at 4.30 am today.
I was woken from sleep by what sounded like my phone downstairs. I went downstairs to check and went back to bed.
When I got up to go to work, I checked to see if the phone had registered a call - but nothing, nada.
So I can only conclude that I dreamt it!

I have one of those SpO2 meters that you can clip onto your finger just to check that you're still working.
Now I know that my heart rate is usually fairly low. Sometimes in the 60s, often in the 50s (my neighbour tried it one time and his heart rate was 112....he hasn't carked it yet though, but then that might not be that unusual, I dunno, I'm no expert).
So anyways, I thought just now to check and my heart rate is a lazy 47 bpm.
I'm surprised I can even function, lol.
After a quick check on athletes bpm etc, I find that a trained diver (eg) can reduce their heart rate to the low 40s....so hey, maybe I'm super-fit?
(I'm not)

Saw this today. Photographed just like it was, no manipulation.
eye.jpg
(it's a fragment of an election poster, but still creepy.)

Strange thing happened yesterday evening. I misplaced my vape machine earlier in the day and turned the house upside down in my search for it but without success, so decided that once Mrs DT gets home from work, I’ll pop out to the shop to buy a new one. Bit annoying as the vape machine was only a few days old, and they are not cheap.

Anyway, Mrs DT gets home and I’m sitting on the sofa putting my trainers on, explaining to her that I’ve lost my vape pen and need to go out and buy a new one.

I put my right foot into the trainer, and tied the lace up, went to do the same to the left foot but felt something hard against the bottom of the sole……….yup, it was the lost vape pen.

I absolutely have no idea how on earth the vape pen ended up in my left trainer. The trainers are kept in the cupboard under the stairs, and I hadn’t been into that cupboard yesterday, until the evening when Mrs DT got home.

You could argue that one of the kids was playing a prank on me, but I did ask them to which hey denied touching the pen, and trust me when I say they are not the type to do something like that.

It was weird to say the least.

Strange thing happened yesterday evening. I misplaced my vape machine earlier in the day and turned the house upside down in my search for it but without success, so decided that once Mrs DT gets home from work, I’ll pop out to the shop to buy a new one. Bit annoying as the vape machine was only a few days old, and they are not cheap.

Anyway, Mrs DT gets home and I’m sitting on the sofa putting my trainers on, explaining to her that I’ve lost my vape pen and need to go out and buy a new one.

I put my right foot into the trainer, and tied the lace up, went to do the same to the left foot but felt something hard against the bottom of the sole……….yup, it was the lost vape pen.

I absolutely have no idea how on earth the vape pen ended up in my left trainer. The trainers are kept in the cupboard under the stairs, and I hadn’t been into that cupboard yesterday, until the evening when Mrs DT got home.

You could argue that one of the kids was playing a prank on me, but I did ask them to which hey denied touching the pen, and trust me when I say they are not the type to do something like that.

Do you have a cat?

I have one of those SpO2 meters that you can clip onto your finger just to check that you're still working...
So anyways, I thought just now to check and my heart rate is a lazy 47 bpm.
I'm surprised I can even function, lol.
After a quick check on athletes bpm etc, I find that a trained diver (eg) can reduce their heart rate to the low 40s....so hey, maybe I'm super-fit?
(I'm not)

Mine's usually low-mid 50s when I'm at rest*, but if I sit quietly, I can often "persuade" it to drop into the high 40s. So I wouldn't worry, it's supposed to be a healthy sign (though I'm probably only middlingly fit myself).

*Running or heavy lifting will easily double it!

It was on your lap as you took the trainers off. When you stood up it slid into one.

The rest of the brickwork and concrete looks quite modern. I would expect it to be either a 'bin store' or some kind of utilities cabinet, maybe it contains the meters, and/or the mains water control etc.

The rest of the brickwork and concrete looks quite modern. I would expect it to be either a 'bin store' or some kind of utilities cabinet, maybe it contains the meters, and/or the mains water control etc.
I reckon the bins out the front are the giveaway (if that's the bit I'm meant to be looking at). It's a bin store.

Nah - but clearly it wants to come in, that's why it's ringing the bell.
We had a hail storm just afterwards as well. I was sitting in the Dr's waiting room and glad I'd brought my hat.

Back